Tom Cruise’s Wednesday News and Views

TOM+CRUISE+TOP+GUN+1980S
Tom Cruise as I like to remember him.

To me, there are two Tom Cruises: Tom Cruise B.C. (Before Couch) and Tom Cruise A.C. (After Couch). Why? Tom Cruise’s epic couch jumping party on “Oprah” in 2005 finally nailed the fact that the man is downright crazy into my head. For years, I loved Tom Cruise. His poster from Top Gun hung on my wall, right beside Tim Couch, Nazr Mohammed, and countless UK basketball schedules. It helped that Cruise lived in Kentucky for a while, and actually went to prom with one of my cousin’s friends, who still carries the picture from it in her wallet. Cruise was charming, handsome, and not afraid to get up in Iceman’s face. I was even willing to forget that he was short. “I’m short, too!” teenage Tyler cried, “We will have awesome, dark-haired short children and name them Maverick and Goose! They will run around in button-down shirts, socks, and sunglasses!” (Looking back, maybe I was a bit obsessed with Top Gun.)

And then he went batshit crazy.

Or, at least, we found out he was crazy. Nowadays, people associate Scientology, expensive children’s clothes, weird hand holding and general crazy eyes with Tom Cruise more than his acting. His brief, awesome cameo in Tropic Thunder wasn’t enough for us to forget his manic, creepy character from Knight and Day, half of which I had the unfortunate pleasure of sitting through. At times, that familiar toothy grin can be deceiving, but then our brains kick in and we step away slowly, as we would from a person wearing house slippers in Wal-Mart.

So, happy 51st birthday, Tom. With age, comes wisdom, I hope.

News. Views.

John Calipari’s guide to recruiting

Poor Ellen Calipari. A man like John Calipari can’t just go to the beach and relax–he has to put together a freaking manifesto. Cal saved us from a slow news day Tuesday afternoon by releasing his annual recruiting manifesto. Here are the top four quotes:

minicalThere are statements thrown out there and fabrications manufactured to sway these kids into believing what is ultimately best for that program and that coach, not what’s necessarily best for them.

One of the things recruits always say they like best about Cal is that he keeps it real. As Cal said, some coaches will feed prospects “sunshine and rainbows” in order to woo them to their schools, but Cal is upfront and honest about their futures. He doesn’t promise anything–from playing time to starting spots. That challenge appeals to the type of player Cal wants: competitive, motivated gym rats.

minicalIf anybody is looking at us and saying, “Here’s their blueprint, this is what they’re doing,” they’re chasing windmills. Truth be told, it’s not an exact science.

Cal has gotten the number one recruiting class every single year he’s been at Kentucky. He is undeniably the best recruiter in college basketball. Understandably, coaches across the nation are watching Cal and trying to pattern their practices after him. Not possible, says Calipari. Every recruiting class is different, every player is different, and as we saw last season, every team is different. The difference is being able to prepare and adapt for those changes.

minicalIf players want to play together, that’s OK, but it must benefit ALL the players. If not, it’s a huge mistake for one or more of those guys.

Cal is clearly not a fan of package deals. The trolls amongst you will bring up the Harrison Twins, but given that they are twins and have spent their entire lives playing with one another, I think they are an exception. Plus, the twins’ decision to come to Kentucky definitely benefits them both individually. Cal argues that sometimes–perhaps in the case of the Tyus Jones/Jahlil Okafor combo deal–that is not always the case. As he points on later on, what happens if one of the players you decide to package yourself with gets hurt or leaves school for the league before you do? When choosing a school, players should look to see what the best situation is for themselves first.

minicalIf a program tells you that you’re so good that it doesn’t matter where you go to school, that’s the first school I’m marking off my list.

What’s up, Shabazz Muhammad, Alex Oriakhi, and CJ Leslie? Even if you’re a megawatt superstar…say, an Andrew Wiggins, it still matters what school you choose if you want the best opportunity to improve your draft stock. However, Cal uses this opportunity to point out that Kentucky isn’t for everyone (drink). And even if you do come to Kentucky, a high draft pick isn’t a given; players must push past their comfort zones and make sacrifices for their teams.

Cal puts up these posts every now and then as a way to remind recruits, media, and fans of his philosophy and put his name back in the news. While most of it is “Cal-speak,” his comments about package deals are particularly interesting and relevant. Even if we don’t get Jones and Okafor, our chances look good with…

mudiay

Emmanuel Mudiay will attend Big Blue Madness

According to Mike Gandolfo of The Kentucky Derby Classic, top 2014 PG Emmanuel Mudiay will attend Big Blue Madness this October. Mudiay is one of the Cats’ top targets in the 2014 class, so his visit is huge. It will be interesting to see what impact Josh Perkins, also a point guard, has on his decision, as he announces in August. Perkins says he’s open to playing alongside Mudiay, but is Mudiay good with that too? Time will tell.

Eric Bledsoe joins Archie Goodwin in Phoenix

Late Tuesday afternoon, word broke that Eric Bledsoe had been traded to the Phoenix Suns. Bledsoe was part of a three team deal that sent him and fellow former Clipper Caron Butler to Phoneix, while Jared Dudley and JJ Redick were sent to the Clippers, and the Milwaukee Bucks got two second round draft picks. Both Phoenix and Bledsoe win in this one, as Bledsoe gets off the bench and into a potential starting role, while the Suns get the chance to build their team around a talented point guard and big man in Alex Len. Bledsoe will also join former Cat Archie Goodwin, who was selected by the Suns in last week’s draft.

BOMTfNyCMAAFp1i
A new UK billboard near the Big 4 bridge and I-64 in Louisville. Photo by @AdamHimmelsbach

Leftovers

— Congrats to Tony Neely, who was promoted to Assistant Athletics Director on Tuesday. For almost twenty years, Tony has been the primary media relations contact for the football team, and will now oversee the daily operations of the athletics media relations office. Further congrats to Evan Crane, who has been promoted to assistant media relations director. Looking forward to bugging you guys plenty over the next few years.

— In more proof that Kentucky is indeed Punter U, Landon Foster has been named to the 2013 CFPA Punter Trophy Watch List. Foster was one of the lone bright spots from last year’s squad, and well, he certainly had plenty of practice. I love you Landon, but here’s hoping you don’t get as much game practice from now on.

— Your random news headline of the day: “Ex-MTV VJ Kennedy: Michael Jordan tried to win my virginity in a game of dice”

— Below, Drew share Demarcus Cousins’ tweet about Julius Randle being a beast. Eric Bledsoe replied back to Boogie with praise for the Harrison Twins and James Young:

@EBled12: Cuz, you should have stuck around to see the twins and James Young. We gonna be straight this year. I was going hard against them too.

Does this mean Young is on campus? Regardless, more of this, please.

That’s all for now. At 11:05 Tuesday morning, MARK STOOPS will call in to radio show, which will be live from Mr. Gatti’s in Somerset for stop #8 of the KSR Tour of Affiliates. I think that’s must-listen radio, don’t you? See you then.

33 Comments for Tom Cruise’s Wednesday News and Views

1. Lil c
    11:08 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope the guys are playing hard everyday! Did anyone see Kansas’s ” scrimmage” on Youtube? Man, they are athletic and big! I’d say the top teams this year are UK, KU, Arizona, Florida, maybe Duke….. Ugh, and them Tards!!! Lol

2. Rei
    11:19 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

Louisville and Florida will not be good this year. I have a big feeling Wiggins will be hampered by Self’s coaching (just look at Withey). Also, does Eric’s tweet mean James Young is on campus now?

3. TT's Fake Boobs and Rat Face
    11:20 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

Does Tom Cruise like cheese?

4. JoCo
    11:21 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

If you had Tom Cruise’s troubles, you might be Tom-Cruise-Crazy too.

5. Rick Pitino
    11:45 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

I like my coconut water…….naked.

6. SeaCat
    12:04 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, Cruise did it with Cher.
    Gag a maggot.
    I can not think of a more ugly female…

7. SeaCat
    12:08 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, you are beautiful and hot!
    Just sayin…

8. Duuuuuude
    12:11 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

I am an old guy…..I read this 4-5 times and still do not know what it means. Can somebody please explain this Bledsoe comment to me? “We gonna be straight this year”

9. jpgott2
    12:12 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

All I am going to say is that I hope we get Braxton Berrios! The kid is beasting at The Open. I hope we can snag him.

10. jpgott2
    12:13 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

8., he is saying we are going to be very good, with little problems. Our path is straight for the literal sense.

11. Catsfan32
    12:14 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Drew barker looked pretty good at the open camp today. Thad Snodgrass and Berrios as well. Artavis Scott chose not to wear the blue and white though. Still very excited for the future of UK football. I’m hearing JY arrived 24 to 48 hours after the twins did. Any truths to this?

12. theSkinny81
    12:21 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

8 – “Gee willikers! That team’s swell, just swell I tell ya!”

13. theSkinny81
    12:41 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Delusional Little Brother is at it again: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2755&t=11666341

14. Jpo
    1:27 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

12. haha nice

15. HUH
    1:29 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

#8 I hear you man…I sometimes think we need a translator when talking with these kids, or maybe learn Ebonics.

16. Seven Eight Nine
    2:27 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

No shoutout to Homer Bailey?? He just threw his second no hitter, and the second consecutive no hitter in the majors. He threw the last one in 2012 and the first in 2013. I know this is a Kentucky sports blog, but Bailey plays for the Cincinnati Reds and throwing 2 no hitters is sort of a big deal. Last guy to throw 2 consecutive no hitters was a kid from Texas named Nolan Ryan. .

17. Throw Me a Shovel Quick
    2:41 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Calipari should of been a politician, never seen anyone spew such a load of propaganda. I guess the NCAA should just make these kids all play for him since he’s such a genius (bet the last part made Andrew Toole laugh)

18. soggyUKgrad
    4:30 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

#17 I’m sure you meant to say “should’ve”, which is the contraction of “should have”…..”should of” just means you are an ignorant Tards fan who didn’t graduate High School.

19. Throw Me a Shovel Quick
    4:32 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

I would like to go back under my rock where I dwell. Thus, my name.

20. Lamont
    6:33 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Profound recruiting philosophy that guided him to a first round NIT loss to Robert Morris
    On the positive note, the 2-10 UK football car and the first round NIT loss to Robert Morris UK basketball car finished ahead of Sugar Bowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions UL cars at Kentucky Speedway

21. kentuckyjoe
    6:41 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

crazy or not; he’s a very accomplished actor.

22. Mike
    6:41 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Ms. Tyler, are you sure that tweet by Eric Bledsoe is real and not fake.

23. TorpedoVegas
    6:42 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

21) UL finally wins something and now their fans think they are relevant. You guys are adorable.
    Keep up the ignorant posts that choose to ignore Cal’s prior three seasons at UK. It really
    does just make you all look that much more stupid. So please keep them coming.

24. James
    7:29 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

I saw a trailer to that “Red vs. Blue” movie. Looks pretty good. Matt Jones is in it. So is Mike Rutherford from Card Chronicle. That dude is even dorkier as more wimpy than even I could have imagined.

25. Lamont
    7:44 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

I know what yer thinkin’. Me and the word “profound” am not a good mix at all.

26. Someone Needs To
    7:46 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Hey Lamont. Time for your daily trip to the woodshed. Come out and show your face, you pathetic coward.

27. Basteballer
    7:57 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

“Even if we don’t get Jones and Mudiay…” I think you meant to say:

“Even if we don’t get Jones and Okafor…”

28. Mc
    9:42 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Lamont,

Another friendly reminder that your perfect Cardinals have been to the NIT twice with Pitino as coach.

29. Kentuckiana Kat
    9:45 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Regarding Asst. Athletic Director Position:
    Would love to see Derrick Ramsey, UK’s 1st Black quarterback, now athletic director for Coppin State, who led the Cats to a 10-1 record in 1977 (#6 national ranking)working for the University of Kentucky as the future Athletic Director.

30. classof68
    9:47 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. TT: If I’m not mistaken, Tom Cruise’s dad graduated from UK with an Electrical Engineering degree in the ’50’s. Check it out.

31. Mork
    10:12 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

His uncle was a lawyer in Louisville. Not sure if he still is.

32. come on
    11:15 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

The most important part of these post is that former UK players active in the NBA feel the “the family ” connection enough to take the time and interest in each new UK team by comming back and competing/mentor with the new guys. It
    validates everything Cal says about the program. Any other state school come close to that level of millionaire ulumni commitment to the school?