Tom Crean got under my skin this morning

creanwhaa

While reading the Courier-Journal this morning, I came across a story from Zach Osterman of the Indy Star which just angered me more than it should have.

The story was on Indiana basketball with quotes from coach Tom Crean as he spoke to a room of supports and donors at Lucas Oil Stadium for the athletic departments “On the Road” series.

I try to like coaches like Crean. I really do. And then they open their mouths.

Of course last week two more Indiana players had a run in with the law and were cited for illegal possession of alcohol. “Okay. Fine, whatever.” would be my response for any other program. This happens and I get it. However, this is not the first run in with the law program members have had. I  am not going to count it, but these types of incidents happen way too often at this school.

Any other program the players and even coach would be suspended, fired, expelled, etc. for such a high level of alcohol and drug possession arrests and citations. FFS, one of the players RAN OVER HIS TEAMMATE with a car.

But lets get back to the quotes that inspired this rant…..

“You know what I wish I had done when Hanner first got in trouble? And I love Hanner to death. I love Hanner Perea. I’d go back and remove him from the team. The responsiblity of thier behavior falls on me” – Crean

Yes. Let’s blame one player for several program arrests. The fact is, you didn’t make a statement to the rest of the players. You let him transfer on his own instead of being an adult and taking charge of the program. Now look at what that has created. Take that responsibility instead of calling out players to cover your butt.

When Crean recruits these players he sits in their living rooms and tells their moms he will take full responsibility of these kids. Then as soon as something goes wrong he blames the program problems on the kid and throws them under the bus. Maybe that’s what ticks me off the most.

Here’s another:

He told the media specific discipline for Holt and Bryant “will be forthcoming,” and that as a team, IU is “in the midst of some internal discipline right now.” Crean declined to elaborate, though he hinted at early-morning workouts when he said he arrived at work at 4:30 a.m. Thursday.

You know what Kentucky calls 4:30 am workouts? The Breakfast Club. Not punishment. They don’t have to get arrested or have Cal force them to put in extra work. They know it takes extra work to get a title.

That’s the difference between our program and yours.

Yes. Kentucky (football) has had a few run ins with the law. The difference is our coach actually takes care of it by dismissing or giving actual punishments.

I just want to know when IU will take responsibility of its basketball coach and program? I was going to say “before something horrible happens”, but since a player was ran over by a car  I would said that time has come and gone.

@Hessler_KSR

Article written by Courtney Hessler

Ashley Judd is my spirit animal. Follow me on twitter at: @Hessler_KSR

25 Comments for Tom Crean got under my skin this morning

1. Chaz
    1:39 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Crean is what Crean does. The IU fanbase has been giving up on him for a while now. He seems to have gotten into deep water and still needs to use paddlewings but the air has run out. I still think Blackmon should transfer to UK but his time may have passed to do that, especially with the class coming up this year.

2. GroundControlToNumber9
    1:43 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Hey Courtney – This is cute and all… if you were an Indiana fan.

This is what they do… it’s what people hate about them, and the Pete Thamels, and Pat Fordes.

This faux pedestal mindset that infects the people who wonder why they never can’t keep something great.

3. GroundControlToNumber9
    1:47 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

*can

4. RockyMountainWildcat
    1:57 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Must be a REALLY slow news day. Large parts of this article don’t even make any sense. For example, the sentence about how the author “tries to like coaches like Crean”. What does that mean? What kind of coach are you saying Crean is and why do you “try” to like them? And why is this article necessary? Crean is a moron and Indiana is a school that was willing, as an institution, to put up with the disgrace of humanity that is Bob Knight for decades.

• Ummmmm......
      5:08 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

It is a really slow news day……your comment isn’t necessary pally, and the article made perfect sense.

• IfItMadePerfectSense
      5:22 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

can you please explain? RMW is right. The whole trying to like coaches like Crean thing is entirely nonsensical.

• Dan
      7:33 am August 31, 2015 Permalink

I think it makes perfect sense. Sometimes you give people the benefit of the doubt and sometimes they make you completely regret it.

5. JLP
    2:03 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Crean looks exactly like Tom Arnold, Roseann Barr’s ex-husband

6. Stupid [email protected]
    2:15 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

What are you doing out of the kitchen?

• Rich Shertenlieb
      4:18 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

…………….Iron my shirt!

7. ziel
    2:15 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Terrence Jones fled the scene of an accident under the suspicion of being intoxicated and underage. Let’s report all of the facts before we try and act like UK coaches always dole out punishments when it comes to run ins with the law. This is a little to much of a biased piece. No, I’m not a UL fan. Yes, I was born in Lexington and am a UK fan.

• 1 vs many
      5:14 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

The gist of the article referred to the repeated offenses of IU players whereas that incident was the ONLY thing negative that’s happened under Cal. Also, I still can’t figure out why people seem upset that KSR is biased. That’s kinda the point man, it’s not Allteamsareequalsportsradio……

• HouseDivided
      6:17 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

1vs many…being biased only works when trying to engage in legitimate sports discussions. Definitely be biased and argue why UK is the best or will win, etc… When you point fingers at others problems while simultaneously overlooking issues in your own programs you only look like a holier than thou homer.

8. Duke
    2:30 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Cal doesn’t punish players. Dodson was kicked off because he failed NCAA mandated drug tests. When he was at Memphis he recruited straight out of the prison yard. He had a player at Memphis punch his gf. Kid played the next game. Terrence Jones would have been kicked out of school by other programs. But nothing saw the light of day because cal swept all the stuff he did under the rug. That is why it is funny when uk fans laugh when other programs suspend or dismiss players. Don’t have to worry about that at UK because cal doesn’t care what players do off the court.

• ukcats42301
      2:52 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

You are correct. I remember Jeremy Hunt at Memphis was permanently dismissed from the team but when the Tigers needed an experienced guard who could nail some 3’s Hunt was reinstated without an explanation. Of course the Memphis media let it slide. If he did something like that now at UK Tipton would be all over it.

9. Eat Fresh
    2:40 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Crean has that whole Indiana-pedo look onto ‘im. He’s creeped
    me out from the day I laid eyes on ‘im. He’s perfect for IU
    and the IU fanbase.

10. HouseDivided
    2:50 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Putting aside the obvious bias of this piece, the author didn’t even get the facts straight. Perea was kicked off the team, not allowed to transfer as stated. Holt did hit Devon Davis with his car, but on accident after Davis tried to be funny and jump in front of the car. Not saying that it wasn’t dumb but the article portrays the wrong version of facts and acts like Holt tried to run over someone. Yes, there have been too many issues centered around alcohol in the past couple of years and the fan base is extremely tired of it. But please come down off your high soap box of morality Courtney Hessler before you get a nose bleed. Cal has left two NCAA programs on suspension. Why does he get a pass on his players actions but Crean doesn’t? And for the record, I don’t think Crean should get a pass but let’s have an honest discussion about things like this that ALL coaches deal with at some point.

11. Hamburgers
    3:53 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

This article is pretty awful. 1. Its very unnecessary and doesn’t really have anything to do with anything. 2. It was a misdemeanor alcohol charge. Its the off season. Honestly 1/4 of underagers get MIPs the first few weeks of the fall semester. Its not a big deal. They didn’t shoot anyone or have possession of crack cocaine. Its alcohol and they’re college aged kids in a big college town. Big whoop.

12. Ashley Lowry
    4:11 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

When should I expect my punishment???

13. Linda Skaggs
    4:54 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

People like Courtney See Lee and the rest of KSR’s so caller bloggers love to criticize other programs but always make excuses for their precious Cats.

That idiot Drew Barker and his band of thugs caused a lockdown of a mid major university. Kids were calling their parents thinking it was a final goodbye and what does KSR say? It was just a toy gun.

Barker should be in prison with a 450-lb cell mate named Tyrone

• Seriously?!
      5:19 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

You didn’t even bait that hook. Thugs. Lol. Just as thuggish as the 8 year olds who play such dangerous games. Good grief.

• Jeff
      5:33 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Scoreboard!

14. Phil
    9:36 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Four star Drew Barker took his show on the road and got his in the lobby of a dorm at EKU.

15. Ukbradstith
    10:21 pm August 29, 2015 Permalink

Stories like this annoy me. I wish we still played iu, it was my favorite game of the season since I live in Indiana. But we don’t, and act like we don’t care, so why is this even news? Plus ad to the fact that crean did in fact take responsibility and did not throw a player under the bus, this article is pretty sad.

16. CentreCollegelovesKSR
    10:02 am August 30, 2015 Permalink

This post is a classic representation of the media. Take a comment made by someone famous and expound upon it until you are, essentially, no longer credible. Who knows? Maybe Crean doesn’t handle media well… Or maybe he meant to say what he said. Regardless, this article blows more than Paris Hilton.