– I’ll give one final thought on the game today. We have six games left in SEC play plus the SEC tournament. That’s a lot of time for a young team to get better. Every year there is a team that makes a good run in March that no one would have predicted doing so at the beginning of February. It seems like the popular thing to do is point the finger of blame at anyone and everyone associated with the program, but that’s not how it should be. When Kanter was ruled ineligible for the season we knew this team wasn’t going to be as good as it could have been. We’re a young team with a thin bench. When all is said and done, though, there aren’t many teams that I’d pick over this one on a neutral court with a, more than likely, pro-UK crowd. This team probably doesn’t have the personnel to win a national championship, but it’s not right to give up on them just yet.
– Elsewhere in the world of college basketball, Ohio State was finally knocked off by Wisconsin. My favorite part about this game was the fact that Wisconsin was favored, yet every single talking head who picked the Badgers to win smugly mentioned that they did so as often as possible. Good call guys. That’s why you get paid the big bucks.
– Also in this game, despite the fact that they were favored, Wisconsin students rushed the court. Not only did they rush the court, but one fan also got very excited to see Jared Sullinger
– Ignore the fact that Sullinger narcissistically capitalized the ‘F’ in face and instead focus on how stupid this Wisconsin fan was. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that this fan wasn’t nearly as big as Sullinger. I think that if someone does that then the player should be allowed to go after them Ron Artest style. If you want to rush the court in a game you’re favored in, that’s fine, just don’t be stupid about it.
– Just a final note on OSU: a day after the Cleveland Cavaliers finally win a game, the Buckeyes finally lose one. God has a fantastic sense of humor regarding sports in the state of Ohio
– Another team from Ohio, Cleveland State, has a guy that can flat out get it. Norris Cole, a guard of 6 feet 2 inches tall and all of 170 pounds, scored 41 points, grabbed 20 rebounds and dished 9 assists on Saturday in a win against Youngstown State. That’s legit.
– I don’t like Digger Phelps. I really just can’t stand the guy. How does ESPN let him get away with his blatant bias toward Notre Dame? It’s just silly.
– Jimmer Fredette is a lot of fun to watch and is obviously a fantastic player but I’m going to go ahead and say right now that I wouldn’t mind having BYU as one of the top seeds in whatever NCAA bracket the Cats are eventually put in. I’m not insinuating that Jimmer is the only weapon that the Cougars have because they have a few good players, but I think that this UK team could play with, and beat BYU on a neutral court.
– In the Florida/Tennessee game, Florida pulled out the win, 61 to 60, at home on an Erving Walker go ahead lay up with 14 seconds left. Tennessee had the last possession and Bruce Pearl didn’t call a timeout to set up a play. Melvin Goins had a decent look at the shot but just missed, similar to our game at Florida.
– So Florida looks like it’s separating itself from the rest of the SEC East pack. A number two finish in the East and the first round bye in the SEC tournament is still possible for the Cats, though, and it’s going to be what they shoot for from here on out.
That’s all I have for you today, folks. It was a rough one, but we’ve survived worse.
Come on back tomorrow. We’ll be here waiting for you.