Today on KSR: Welp, That Happened

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

As the headline says, welp, that happened. I mean is there any other way to say it? If you would have told me this time yesterday that Kentucky would have accumulated over 550 yards of offense and scored 41 points, I am not sure I would have thought there was any chance Kentucky would have lost, but alas here we are. Let’s try to make some sense of it.

Kicking Continues to be an Issue

A major fear of mine entering this season was the kicking position. Last year, the revolving door of Matt Ruffolo and Chance Poore proved to be less than desirable. While the issue didn’t rare its head against Auburn, yesterday it did in the worst way as Ruffolo missed, albeit a long field goal, but also a critical extra point.

Before diving more into this, I have to address the tweet below. Every single fan base has this kind of fan and they are the worst. Don’t tweet at players if they make a mistake. Look, I wish he made the kicks too, but that is NO reason to make some of the comments that people did on his Instagram. As heads up, some of these comments are NSFW.

Just stop.

With all that being said, head coach Mark Stoops did sound less than confident in his kicker saying, “We’ll continue to work Matt, we’ll work Chance. If we feel like Chance gives us a better opportunity, we’ll go with him.”

Anyone know a way we could get Austin MacGinnis more eligibility?

Offense Looks Really Good; Defense not so much

UK Athletics

While it was a loss, yesterday didn’t provide all negatives. In fact, the offense looked pretty darn efficient. Chris Rodriguez, Terry Wilson, and AJ Rose all finished with at least 117 rushing yards and six touchdowns amongst them. Wilson didn’t pass a lot but was 14/18 for 151 yards when he did.

In fact, it was a historical day rushing:

This was all done without Kavoisey Smoke who was limited to only five carries after leaving early with an injury. If the field goal is made in regulation, a completely different story is being told in this post.

Now onto the defense. The front seven held the Rebels to an average of 3.7 yards per rush and accumulated 6 tackles for a loss. The secondary? Well, that was a different story. Ole Miss quarterback Matt Corral torched them the entire game and made it look relatively easy. The Rebels accumulated for more than 300 yards through the air.

To say that the secondary has been a disappointment to this point this year would be a major understatement.

Mental Errors Kill Again

UK Athletics

I say it a lot, but there are some things in a football game that you can control and some things that you can’t. One thing you definitely can control is playing smart.

That brings us to the AJ Rose run on the first play for the Kentucky offense. I know for a fact that many coaches teach to run through the back of the endzone and hand the ball to the official and THEN celebrate.

You just can’t do that. To save us from all reliving the moment, I won’t share the clip of the fumble, because if you ask me it was a touchdown, but clearly, I don’t know what that is anymore.

Then, late in the third quarter. The Cats left only 10 men on the field for a critical third-down.

In the words of Gov. Andy Beshear, “you can’t be doing that.”

Lane Kiffin is cocky, but I love it

(Photo: © Josh McCoy | Ole Miss Athletics)

This is far from a popular opinion, especially after a loss, but I really do enjoy Lane Kiffin’s cockiness. After the game, the Ole Miss head coach told reporters, “I said it all week: We’ve just got to get to 1-0 and whether [the score] is 2-0 or 42-41, you’ve got to find a way to win. We did. We’ve got to send a Christmas present to their kicker.”

I know a lot of people don’t like Kiffin, but I do think he is good for college football. I truly do believe he enjoys playing the villain.

His gameplan yesterday was pretty fantastic as well. His up-tempo attack clearly had the Wildcat defense on ice skates for the majority of the game.

Mississippi State upset by Arkansas; other SEC scores

(Photo: © Getty Images)

Remember when Mississippi State was turning into a trendy pick to potentially win the SEC West? Well, that bandwagon came to a screeching halt yesterday as Mike Leach’s Bulldogs were upset at home by an Arkansas team that won their first conference game since 2017.

I always love videos of locker room speeches and celebrations and this one was no different.

Other SEC scores included:

• #3 Florida 38-24 over South Carolina
  • #21 Tennessee 35-12 over Missouri
  • #2 Alabama 52-24 over #13 Texas A&M
  • #20 LSU bounces back over Vandy 41-7
  • #4 Georgia 27-6 over #7 Auburn

Not a ton of surprises on what was a solid day for college football.

NFL Week Four Schedule

Week 4 of the NFL is finally here with COVID-19 cases starting to mount across the league for the first time. Josh Allen and the Jags pass rush should have a field day against my Bengals’ offensive line. Let’s just hope some of the Big Blue Wall can come help the Bengals next season.

Best Thing I Saw This Week

During COVID-19, I have tried to wrap up my morning posts with this category. This is just a video that made me smile this week. This post has a lot of negativity, as does the world, but we can always find a light in a sea of negativity.

This video isn’t necessarily funny but instead, mind-blowing. Have you ever wondered what a rocket launch looks like from space? Me either, but now I do, and I love that I watched it.

So cool.

That wraps up your morning post for today. May your NFL team win (unless you’re a Jags fan) and your fantasy team have success. Go Cats!

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

20 Comments for Today on KSR: Welp, That Happened

1. BBN4LIFE03
    10:13 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

Crazy how we went from one of the best secondaries in the nation to one of the worst in the SEC

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

Fool’s gold; how many monsoons kept the opponents from throwing last year?

2. bigblue98
    10:28 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

Whoever Ethan Grantz is, he needs to be called out. He’s probably some young punk, but if he has a job his employer needs to know and he needs to be fired. Punks like that who say things like that deserve to have their life destroyed and made to start over. Wishing physical harm on someone makes that person truly the scum of the earth.

• ClutchCargo
      11:10 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

I hate what he said, but your attitude is part of the problem instead of the solution.

• bigblue98
      11:29 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

I am not part of the problem. People who do things like that need to be fired from their job. That is the solution. When other people see there are consequences for your actions then they stop repeating that same action. This person needs their life changed and then they may become a productive member of society. There are way too many people such as Grantz that think they can spout off on social media without repercussions.

• UKFanSC
      12:43 pm October 4, 2020 Permalink

Yet Millions of Americans are wishing precisely the same thing for their president as we speak.

• Hi Im Reality
      3:41 pm October 4, 2020 Permalink

Bigblu98, why do you hate the first amendment?

• bigblue98
      7:37 pm October 4, 2020 Permalink

I’m for the first amendment. However, there are repercussions for what people say. People now more than ever seem to have forgotten that with Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

3. blueballs80
    11:11 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

This is going to impact recruiting for sure. Stoops chasing after the refs was not a good look. You take that to the league office. Also those posters trashing Mark and wishing harm on him need to go crawl in the hole they came from. Disgusting and unacceptable.

• CatfaninCinci
      11:31 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

I’m not trying to defend it, but that’s what happens when people are sold snake oil on what the team is going to do this year, only to have their hope dashed.

It’s reprehensible what they’re saying. But they were told 8-2 was possible by this site. It’s clear, that never was.

4. runningunnin.454
    11:22 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

So, you call out a stupid comment from some random fan; but, you like Kiffin. He also singled out our kicker, and he’s the winning coach…oh yeah, what a gracious winner and gentleman. You can have him.

• CatfaninCinci
      11:32 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

That comment was even worse. Kiffen is garbage and always has been

• runningunnin.454
      12:37 pm October 4, 2020 Permalink

Yep, hope the Ole MIss administration is proud of that remark; and I’m glad the Ole Miss players got a KICK out of his little quip; but, how would they feel if the shoe was on the other FOOT, especially since they’re going to take some big time lumps this season?
      I have some problems with Coach Stoops’ philosophy in the 2nd half with a two score lead; but, I can’t imagine his saying something like that about an opposing player.

5. Dr. Tom
    11:35 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

I have been a supporter of Mark Stoops throughout his first few years at the helm at UK. And I have defended his missteps, poor clock management, discipline problems on the field and his constant badgering of officials, but yesterday took the cake of how over his head he is in being the head coach of this team. All the errors from the game have been mentioned so I’m not going to repeat them, but the way he acted at the end of the game yesterday really punctuated his leadership inadequacies of being the head man of UK’s football program. His antics of berating the officials has gotten very very tiresome. His temper tantrum on the field yesterday at the end of the game reminded me of Indiana coach Mike Davis running around on the court like a crazy man after being upset during that loss to UK. Stoops has been here long enough to have put in place a team of coaches to instill team discipline and to correct the numerous bonehead errors during the game. Mitch has a lot invested in Stoops, but his current performance is not meeting expectations. I believe it is time for serious evaluation of Mark Stoops continued tenure as head football coach at UK.

6. Kentucky3203
    11:36 am October 4, 2020 Permalink

Kickers miss kicks, it’s part of the game. I’m sure Roffolo feels bad enough no fan should put a player down or make threats. And Kiffin is a prick for making the statement about sending a Christmas gift. However, I’ve been a Kentucky fan for almost 43 years, and hear year end and year out how this year or next is going to be the year that Kentucky breaks through the glass ceiling. I’m a bit tired over being overhyped. Kentucky is what it is, a basement dweller who can occasionally become a middle of the road SEC team. I like Mark Stoops and hope he stays but I wont listen to hype anymore.

7. 4burgoo
    12:42 pm October 4, 2020 Permalink

The biggest issue this season starts with Stoops. This is an extremely undisciplined football team and, when he let Rose stay in the game after that ridiculous display of self-recognition, all accountability went out the window for this team. Maybe Stoops should spend more time worrying about the actions of his coaches and players and less time screaming at the refs. He has reverted back to Year 1 Stoops. Not good.

8. JohnnyCat
    12:43 pm October 4, 2020 Permalink

I saw this coming from the first series on defense against Auburn. This team is either severely lacking in talent on defense or they are completely out of shape. They are incredibly slow across the field. Stoops has been very fortunate to have had some key great players on defense that have masked other deficiencies. One big key is having a front 4-5 that can truly put pressure on the QB when the rest can retreat back into his usual zone defense. This team gets very little pressure up front, thereby forcing the secondary to cover longer leaving more guys open. It is especially bad against up-tempo teams when the big boys up front become winded. The opposing QB can then just stand back there and pick them apart.

9. UKFanSC
    12:48 pm October 4, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky has absolutely zero pass defense. I have no idea who the LSU transfer thinks he is, but I can assure you his career as a rap singer is infinitely more promising than his ability to play defensive back in the national football league. He’s been burned more than a newlywed pot roast. He might’ve been great in high school, but now he’s just a loud obnoxious sideshow. If I were an offensive coordinator about to face Kentucky, I would have a 70/30 pass to run ratio game plan

10. JohnnyCat
    1:06 pm October 4, 2020 Permalink

2-8 becoming much more likely…and even that depends on big improvement from the defense. This team can score and Terry will be fine all year at QB. I don’t worry about that at all. But man, that defense is weak sauce. Probably the worst in the SEC.

11. kjd
    1:13 pm October 4, 2020 Permalink

AJ Rose should have been benched for his selfish antics. With the rushing attack humming, a couple of the young RBs could easily have replaced Rose and the injured Smoke.
    Kelvin Joseph needs to be benched because of poor play. Much of the defense needs to play their position with discipline. Sick of watching the mouthing and strutting after one play when as a whole, they’re getting destroyed.
    IMO, Stoops coaching and behavior has not been good. He saw this as a really good year for this team, and clearly, that’s not happening.