Today on KSR: The Day After Awful Shooting

Credit: Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

Credit: Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

Yesterday happened. We could sit here and list everything that went wrong, but if you are like me, you want to just move on and forget it even happened. If you would rather dwell on the negatives from yesterday… you can click here or here. Now onto the stories that you need to know heading into your Sunday.

Calipari, “We have the most upside of any team in the country.”

This is the quote that took a lot of the spotlight after the game. It leads me to ask this question, “is he correct?” I think he is. When this team is at their best, they can beat anyone in the nation. With that being said, when they are not playing well, they can lose to anyone in the nation.

The real question to ask is can they achieve even some of their remaining potential by March? Kevin Knox will be the key behind whether this will come to fruition or not. He is the key to the team and they can’t be a truly successful team without him.

The Road Ahead Doesn’t Get Easier

The Cats return home on Tuesday for a game against a Tennessee team that they lost to earlier in the season. After that, they go on the road for three of their next four games against Texas A&M, Auburn and Arkansas. The Cats cannot afford to have a performance like yesterday afternoon against any of these teams. This is by far the hardest two week stretch of the season and it is critical to have success during it.

Sydney McLaughlin is FAST

As everyone expected Sydney McLaughlin is FAST. In yesterday’s McCravy Memorial Track and Field Meet, she ran the 400 yard in 51.44 seconds. That won the meet and currently ranks as the fastest time in the NCAA. McLaughlin helped the team win the event. If you want to see full results, click here.

Super Bowl Sunday

© Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

One of the best days in sports is finally here. Super Bowl 52 will kickoff at 6:30 in Minneapolis. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots will face off against Nick Foles and the Philadelphia Eagles. Not that you care, but I have to pick Jack Pilgrim’s New England Patriots in this one. Eli Manning is not going to be running out of the tunnel in Minneapolis tonight and because of that it is hard to pick against Brady and Belichick. Now I ask you, who will win the Super Bowl?

Happy Birthday to Malik Monk!

We want to wish Malik Monk a very happy 20th birthday! Monk, a guard for the Charlotte Hornets, is averaging 5.1 points and 12.7 minutes per game in his rookie season. Monk is one of the most entertaining players to play at Kentucky under Calipari. It hurts to think how much the Arkansas native would bring to this year’s team. I don’t think a post about Malik Monk could be made without reliving this moment:

@GormleyKSR

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

30 Comments for Today on KSR: The Day After Awful Shooting

1. rainman
    10:17 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

“NEXT YEAR” talk, has already started!

2. WaterVerve14
    10:26 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

For. The. Love. Of. God.

Get rid of Darryl Isaacs!!!

• RealCatsFan
      12:27 pm February 4, 2018 Permalink

Pretty sure you can click the X at the top corner after it counts down to close it – but still irritating.

3. BlueHeaven
    10:33 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

That statement in November is fine but that statement in January sounds like the fat kid who still thinks the Easter Bunny is real.

• BlueHeaven
      10:33 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

I mean February

4. DelrayCat
    10:59 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

I think we legitimately need to start considering the possibility of the NIT.
    Cats are 17-6 with 8 reg season games left.
    Could easily lose all road games remaining (Tex A&M, Auburn, Ark, Florida).
    And lets say they go 3-1 in remaining home games (Tenn, Ala, Mizz, Ol Miss).
    Then lose in the SEC tourney as a middling seed.
    They are potentially sitting 20-12 squarely on the bubble
    Maybe on the outside looking in since they would be 3-7 in their finial 10 games.
    Better right the ship Cal.

• BigBlueNationDude
      11:17 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

Doubtful, but they arent getting passed 1st weekend in tournament. They really suck.

• EdC
      11:20 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

But will they get past the first weekend?

• henderblue
      11:35 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

Yeah you knuckleheads load up your guns and sit there and think about the NOT and how much fun you could have with that. And we can all agree – get rid of Darryl Issacs

• henderblue
      11:42 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

NIT

5. BigBlueNationDude
    10:59 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

We are going to put all our eggs into next years basket. What makes people think that the core of this team is going to be sooo much better next year?? SGA will likely be gone along with Knox. I think Diallo should leave too for the fact he is Briscoe v2. When next season rolls around and we stink again next year its gonna be the same story. Cals gonna have yet another season without a title. Everyone just realize Cal isnt going to win another one here. He isnt a good coach without Anthony Davis.

• DelrayCat
      11:12 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

All reports indicate a significant upgrade coming…
      Johnson > Knox/Vanderbilt at SF.
      Herro > Diallo at SG.
      Quickley > Green at PG.
      But…as we all know all too well…simply no way of knowing until they get into real big boy action.
      So yes, the jury is still out.

6. Bull Filmer
    11:21 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

If it’s not dropping, quit shooting the ball from outside; rebound, press, drive to the bucket. SIMPLE. CAL likes to make a point. The season is not over. No one likes to lose. But a loss can teach a lesson. Learn from it. It ‘ain’t’ the end of the world. Lighten up all ye Francis’.

7. KYcats11
    11:28 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

Get rid of Darryl Isaac’s!

8. Jiminy Crickets
    11:40 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

Can we be honest for a second? The most I’m loyal, analytical density in the world is Las Vegas, and UK was coming off a win at West Virginia Andrea home win over Mississippi State, playing a Missouri team that was not only awful, but missing one of their key starters, obviously that is not even including their absolute best player Michael Porter being out. Las Vegas did not think we could win that game, and against that awful Missouri team made us a three point underdog. Most UK fans realize a long time ago this team is simply not good. There are a select few in the fan base that will root for them till the day they die screaming about “potential” and I totally respect that. I still watch the games, and although it is not much I will continue to support them financially through the alumni association. But the time is gone, do you realize that this Uber talented roster Albeit The youngest in the country, is simply not that good.

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:41 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

That was supposed to say most loyal, analytical entity

9. Jiminy Crickets
    11:49 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

It is February, and this team has trailed by more than 15 points in each of its last four games. Three of those four were Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, and Missouri. We are not playing a gauntlet of a schedule. We will be, and the next two weeks and these next 4 to 5 games may simply decide whether to even make the NCAA tournament

10. catsarerunnin
    11:49 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

Love The Hammer! Nothing like promoting ambulance chasing lawyers!

11. rcope58
    11:56 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

They are not very consistent to say the least but just remember that they can improve. Given the right bracket I still make some noise in March.

• DelrayCat
      12:17 pm February 4, 2018 Permalink

I doubt even the most pessimistic of us would deny this…however unlikely.

12. KYjellyRoll
    11:59 am February 4, 2018 Permalink

Just a week ago everyone was so pumped about these cats finally playing together and now all of a sudden this year is over! Now if they pull out a comeback win against UT at home what will it be??

13. catsarerunnin
    12:02 pm February 4, 2018 Permalink

It’s called fair weather fans.

• DelrayCat
      12:16 pm February 4, 2018 Permalink

I completely disagree.
      I have spoken to quite a few die-hard fans recently…
      Do we all support them completely? Absolutely!
      But all have come to the same consensus, regardless of youth…
      This team is simply not very good.
      And to call them anything other than a bubble team ignores the reality of the situation.
      And it is not being “fair weather” to call it like it is.

• RealCatsFan
      12:39 pm February 4, 2018 Permalink

Point I like to make is that MOST of the other teams out there this year aren’t really that good either. Just about every game played can go either way. Yes, Virginia looks really strong right now, but all it takes is an off night in the tourney and they might be gone. I agree that we are playing like crap right now, and the trend does not look favorable that they will improve significantly, but 2014 taught me that it is pointless to sit and bitch about it and let it affect the rest of my life. It’s a game. Some of you sound like your life is pointless if the Cats aren’t rolling over every opponent. I get pissed too when they lose, but then I see all these other teams losing too, and I realize that something great can still happen with the kind of talent we have. We will just have to wait and see. Unfortunately, even with 2015 level talent, as the season wore on we weren’t exactly rolling over every opponent. We had a lot of close games in January and February with that team.

14. Megan
    12:35 pm February 4, 2018 Permalink

If Sydney “ran the 400 yard in 51.44 seconds,” as Mr. Gormley reports, then she was nearly 37.5 yards short of the finish line. It was a 400-meter race.

Back in my day, we called it the 440. Because we weren’t metric. And I could consistently run it in under a minute. But on my best day, I’d still be 4 seconds behind Sydney. And throwing up.

15. catsarerunnin
    12:48 pm February 4, 2018 Permalink

You’re right about this team but you also don’t know how the season will end. It may end the first weekend of the NCAA or in the FF. I just don’t get on the ledge and go on and on and on about this team not being very good and saying Cal isn’t a good coach or that he needs to be fired. This is a young team and at times…like yesterday..they are downright awful. But they are still my team and I will survive if they don’t make the FF.

16. TonyMontana
    1:47 pm February 4, 2018 Permalink

If you didnt watch that video of Malik Monk, make sure you do. Its special.

17. Catsfan1715
    2:18 pm February 4, 2018 Permalink

I actually like our defense. I think it’s improving each game. Now, we have to rebound better and get stronger down low but I’ve see us do it against better teams than missou. That being said, we have to start seeing some offensive flow. We started to see it last year towards the end with that team. 2014 was much of the same. Is this team going to follow ? Maybe, maybe not-but I don’t LOVE any of those other teams out there either. So as long as we make the tourney and don’t run into WVU again or a Virginia team second round I like our chances as well as anyone’s. And let me just remind everyone. This is the youngest team we’ve ever had. We missed on some recruits and consequently had to rebuild nearly our entire roster-returning only 2 role playing forwards. If I’m honest the only player to really disappoint me this year has been Diallo. Yes I’m sure next year we will be better. We will return some guys and add to our roster. Year in and year out we get top 3 talent and historically win more games in March than 348 (or more) other teams in division 1. Is there another coach that’s going to put us in that same spot-or raise the bar? Who? Is said coach sitting by waiting for this vacancy ? No. Truth is we are all spoiled rotten. You gotta love it.