Today on KSR: Calipari ejected as Cats surge past Arkansas

© Nelson Chenault | USATSI

© Nelson Chenault | USATSI

With the game looking to be heading down the same route as Wednesday night’s loss to South Carolina, head coach John Calipari picked up a double technical foul and was ejected. From that point on, the Cats rolled and survived a massive road test at Arkansas by a final score of 73-66.

Here is the news you need to know to start your Sunday:

Quickley and Richards lead the way

This headline could seemingly be used every single game. With Ashton Hagans and EJ Montgomery dealing with foul trouble, Immanuel Quickley and Nick Richards stepped up to help lead the way.

For Quickley, he finished with 13 points and 10 rebounds, the latter of which is a career-high. Over his last six games, the sophomore is averaging 18.0 ppg and shooting 53.1% from beyond the arc. John Calipari had said constantly that this is his best shooting team, for that to be proven true, Quickley has to continue on this tear.

Nick Richards led the team in scoring with 17 points and narrowly missed a double-double with 9 rebounds. If you haven’t gotten on the Richards’ bandwagon, I’d sincerely have to ask why not? He now has 6 straight games in double figures. After an abysmal trip to Vegas, Richards has been the Cats best player.

Keion Brooks with big line

Maybe the most underrated performance of the night was that of Keion Brooks Jr. The Ft. Wayne native finished with 10 points and 7 rebounds. The most impressive portion was him sinking four free throws late in the game to help clinch the victory for the blue and white.

Brooks has shown flashes of turning into a legitimate star, but this was one of his better all around performances statistically.

Wenyen Gabriel traded to Portland

Photo: @NBA

Former Cat Wenyen Gabriel will be packing his bags and heading north to Portland after a trade on Saturday afternoon.

This season, Gabriel’s playing time has been limited as he has 9 points, 10 rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocks in only 61 minutes of game action.

Can we write a Wenyen Gabriel story and not mention his best on-court moment while in Lexington? I still can’t believe this happened!

Vandy becomes latest victim of “three-less” game

@VandyMBB

During the 2018 tournament, Kentucky had their streak of consecutive games with a three pointer snapped in a win over Davidson. For an odd reason, there was a group of fans that were genuinely really mad that the streak was snapped.

Well, if there is a similar group of fans for Vanderbilt, they too can be frustrated as the ‘Dores failed to score a three in a loss to Tennessee.

Cue the sad Vandy fans… sorry Shannon the Dude

The two teams with the longest three point streak now? UNLV and… Western Kentucky. Go Tops!

Louisville takes down Duke

There is no weirder sensation that I feel than when Louisville and Duke meet on the hardwood. It is hard to find myself cheering for either one. It is like picking between stepping on a LEGO or smashing your toe on a chair leg. Neither one is pleasant.

If fans wanted a silver lining, seeding wise for Kentucky, a Louisville win would do the most to help in that case. The Cards traveled to Cameron Indoor and came away with a 79-73 victory over the Blue Devils.

SEC Basketball Scores

(SEC)

• South Carolina 81-67 over Texas A&M
  • Florida 69-47 over #4 Auburn
  • Alabama 88-74 over Missouri
  • Tennessee 66-45 over Vandy
  • LSU 80-76 over Ole Miss
  • Mississippi State 91-59 over Georgia

Super Bowl will be set today

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

At the end of the day today, we will officially know the matchup for next month’s Super Bowl in Miami. In the AFC Championship, Drew’s Tennessee Titans travel to Kansas City. The Titans pulled off their second straight upset last week in Baltimore and will go for the trifecta against a Chiefs team that destroyed the Texans over the final three quarters.

In the NFC Championship, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers face the San Francisco 49ers. The two teams met back earlier this season with the 49ers rolling the Packers.

I would take my picks with a grain of salt, but I would lean towards picking a Chiefs/49ers Super Bowl. It should be an exciting day of football though!

That wraps up the news you need to know to start your Sunday. Go Cats!

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

32 Comments for Today on KSR: Calipari ejected as Cats surge past Arkansas

1. CrystalBall
    11:01 am January 19, 2020 Permalink

Who is Wendell Gabrial?

2. 8 god
    11:04 am January 19, 2020 Permalink

rooting for this Louisville team over Duke is easy…

• ScoggDog
      11:21 am January 19, 2020 Permalink

Not for me. I don’t work with any Duke fans. I do have to work with some Louisville fans.

Granted, maybe the win will encourage a few of them to put down the Crown Royal, change out of the wife-beater and into a decent shirt, and maybe even talk their niece off that stripper pole. All the same – I wish Duke had won. It wouldn’t shut ’em up – nothing can shut up a Louisville fan – but maybe they would have been a tiny bit more quiet.

I’m sure they’re on a collision course with a National Title now, the only variable is – will they have to give it back again ?

11:24 am January 19, 2020 Permalink

Lol! Funny as hell, even for a UofLittleBrothel fan.

3. Ez21
    11:28 am January 19, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t say that Brooks has shown flashes of becoming a star.

4. ScoggDog
    11:40 am January 19, 2020 Permalink

Thank you Blue – but it was an ill-considered, inaccurate, misleading portrayal of a fan base. And for that, I apologize.

I never mentioned a Black and Mild. Nothing says Style and Class quite like the smoke from a cheap-ass machine-rolled cigarillo wafting past a cheap-pass set of mirrored lenses firmly ensconced in a cheap-ass set of plastic frames procured at Kroger – possibly via five-finger discount. And for the discerning Louisville fan, no cigarillo produces that tobacco magic quite like a Black and Mild.

Black and Mild, the perfect pairing for Crown Royal, and the official cigarillo of Cardinal Athletics.

1:21 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

ScoggDogg that is some of the funniest sh!t I’ve read on here. Righteous is still an idiot and Rage is all over it.

5. satcheluk
    11:45 am January 19, 2020 Permalink

Glad he got ejected. I had UK+5 and over 133.5 teased for a large sum and had already given up hope on the over. Was under 100 when he got tossed with 8min to go. What a rally including that bogus flagrant 1 on IQ to put me over the top! Guess I found a way to like the terrible officiating.

6. zoupman
    12:02 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Proud of Coach Cal for taking up for his team. SEC has got to get officials under control. Too many of them like the attention.

7. Righteous1
    12:15 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

We would have a better chance of winning if Cal were ejected every game and also a little earlier than 8 minutes left.

1:26 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Good to know you’re back with a new handle Slater.

8. scwhite9
    1:14 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Was the referee that ejected Cal the same one that rolled his eyes at Ashton at South Carolina? If so, I think he should never referee another UK game.

9. RAGE
    1:15 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

For every body that dislikes Cal they should just look at North Carolina this season.. Then you will see that we should all appreciate what coach Cal does year in and year out.. Don’t get me wrong I get frustrated from time to time as much as anybody.. I question him and get upset at all our coaches… Only because I love our Kentucky teams so much in all sports… Roy Williams is having a terrible year this year and blames it on how much he lost last year.. Well Cal loses that mich almost every year and yet we still are relevant year in and year out and most seasons are right there come tourney time.. I ain’t saying that we shouldn’t question our coaches cause that is the fun of sports.. However I do think that we should all look around and just appreciate what Cal has done here at Kentucky… Old saying goes you never appreciate it until it is gone and I think a lot of our fan base will realize it when he is gone…

• RAGE
      1:23 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Also for those who don’t think Cal wasn’t thrown out on purpose are crazy.. He told his assistants he was going to get tossed or else they would have been up to try and pull him back after the first technical foul…. He told his assistants what his plans was and how to go forward… He was simply trying to spark his team and change the momentum and it worked… as soon as it happened my dad said we are going to win this game now… Cause the players will rally to support their coach… It was a perfect coaching move in my opinion… If you need an example of a coach not planning to get tossed just go back and look at when he was ran out of the South Carolina game a couple seasons ago.. That game he just lost his cool… I try not to blame officials much but man those guys yesterday should be investigated by the SEC cause they were horrible and honestly give their profession a bad name….

• RAGE
      1:33 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Honestly college basketball as a whole in officiating is just horrible.. ever since they started using replay it is like they forgot how to call a game… Honestly college basketball is getting hard to even watch… I don’t understand why they don’t just call it like an NBA game with walks… I mean it is so inconsistent no wonder the players can’t get into any rhythm… Plus if you fall down now it is a charge… Which is crazy to me.. I never hardly agree with Jay Bills but he even said that college basketball has gone charge crazy the other night in a game I was watching and it is true… The refs reward flopping way to much use to there may have been one or two charges called all game and now it is almost every other play

• satcheluk
      7:36 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Don’t think Cal wasn’t? I think I know what you are trying to say, but that double negative sure made the puzzle difficult to put together.

1:26 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

You right on the money Rage, I agree 100%.

10. VirginiaCat
    1:43 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

For those of you who think that Cal got ejected on purpose, I would suggest cutting back on your meds. Seriously folks, think about it. Would a coach give the opposition 4 free throws and possession of the ball at a critical juncture of the game? Arkansas is surging, the crowd is going wild, and Cal would give Arkansas, potentially, seven points? No. Any coach who would do that would be guilty of coaching malpractice. The bigger story is that Cal’s assistants went to zone, which stopped Arkansas’s momentum in its tracks and had the added benefit of helping keep Hagans in the game. It was the right adjustment at the right time and would not have happened had Cal stayed in the game and continued with man defense. To think otherwise is delusional.

• nocode96
      3:15 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Wtf is coaching malpractice? For people like you who think there wasn’t at least some purpose behind his ejection, I’d recommend pulling your head out of your arse.

3:23 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Well VaginaCat never disappoints, you might want to check into getting on some meds because there’s clearly something wrong with your brain.

11. StillBP
    2:32 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

You are very familiar with delusion

• VirginiaCat
      3:40 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Come on, guys. Enough with the childish insults. Do you really, really, really think that a coach would give up 4 free throws and a possession at a critical time when your team is on the ropes? Logical says otherwise, but I guess that insults and name calling overrides logic for some on this board.

4:48 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

So you’re saying a coach taking a gamble defies logic therefore it could never happen? Was it logical for Saban to start the second half of the CFP championship game with a true freshman QB instead of your starter who had only lost one or two games in his entire career? Also funny how all the haters want to give the zone credit to the assistants despite the fact they practiced it the day before. Like nocode said, they must have practiced it and kept is a secret from Cal. Do you really, really, really believe any of that?

11:35 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Well VaginaCat? Coaches never take chances they only do the logical thing? How long have you even been watching sports?

12. RAGE
    5:47 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

I ain’t going to throw insults your way Virginia… I mean you are entitled to your opinion… But it is a old coaching move that many coaches have used time and again.. As far as the possession and free throws they are small importance def at the moment.. Cal was trying to turn the momentum that Arkansas clearly had at the time and also get his players attention… Again this has happened so many times in the past and something that all coaches have used… You very much dislike coach Cal that is obvious from all your post you make… However there is no way if you watched that game that you can tell me that you couldn’t see Cal was not going to hush and get his point across at that moment.. If he didn’t want tossed he would have hushed when he got his first one not continue right at the refs.. Also if it wasn’t planned where was his assistant coach whose job it is to save the head coach from his self in those types of situation… Watch any game when a coach loses his cool and gets a technical foul watch how fast his assistant come to push him back towards the bench.. that clearly didn’t happen cause they knew it was coming he had already made that clear… if he hadn’t you better believe that Barber or KP would have been there to try and save him from the second.. Heck KP even laughed about Cal’s excuse after the game…

6:11 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Your take makes total sense Rage, hell Cal has used it more than once. Cal knows his team inside and out and how to push their buttons, he also knew if he didn’t try something drastic they were going to lose. And like it’s been said several times on here, they practiced that zone the day before, what a coincidence. And yet VACat and several other Cal haters seem to think that practice was somehow kept secret from Cal, now that does defy logic.

• RAGE
      6:44 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

I appreciate it 4ever… I agree with you also in that if he hadn’t have done it that we were def going to lose the game yesterday.. When Arkansas made the run and tied the game you could just feel the game was getting away from us.. Also you could see it in the players body language they were thinking oh no it is happening again look cause of the game before… I won’t lie I get frustrated as anybody when we are losing but you have to be able to look at both sides of an argument and that is something that people on this site sometimes refuse to do…

7:32 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Thanks for your perspective Rage and I agree, I get really frustrated as well but airing all that negativity online serves no purpose. I try to imagine the pressure these young men are under and give them a break. I haven’t seen any other coach better at developing these young players than Cal and I sure as hell haven’t seen any commenters on this site who are smarter than Cal or qualified to coach at this level.

7:33 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Also it may have been you, I can’t remember, but Cal is obviously promoting his assistants, trying to help them with the next step in their careers.

13. VirginiaCat
    10:49 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

For those of you who assert that Cal intentionally drew the double technical (4everUKBlue and his various aliases), Kenny Payne was asked about this and responded, “I seriously doubt it.” He knows Cal well and is quite candid, so there is that to consider, gentlemen. This is the bottom line: The zone turned the game around and no reasonable person can offer a cogent argument to the contrary. I am hopeful that Cal will reconsider his well known aversion to playing zone and see that it can be quite effective under the right circumstances. We all want Kentucky to win and hopefully put #9 in the rafters, so anything that furthers that goals is a plus.

11:31 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

VaginaCat I have NO aliases period! What the hell did you expect KP to say? Do you expect Cal to admit it? No one is arguing whether or not the zone saved the game, but you and your aliases are hell bent on giving full credit to the assistants as if Cal had no part in practicing the zone the day before. I’ll be you’re one of those people who believes everything you see on TV. Rage makes the reasonable argument and as for you comment about logic, well you might want to rethink that question.

11:39 pm January 19, 2020 Permalink

Sure is funny none of the assistant coaches were making any effort to keep Cal from getting the T. And KP said “I seriously doubt it.”? Don’t you think he and Cal are close enough that he knows the answer for sure? And do you think he’s going to throw his boss under the bus? Just some logical questions for Mr. logical.