Tim Masthay’s Monday News and Views

nasty

Back to the night post for me for the first time in nearly two months. The Super Bowl is now over and the Green Bay Packers beat down Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers in a relatively entertaining game that I only half-watched. I was pleased to see the win for Green Bay punter and former Cat Tim Masthay “If Ya Nastay”, who becomes the first redheaded former UK special teamer to ever win a Super Bowl ring (I have no idea if that is true, but lets just roll with it). Masthay had a great year, kicking it far and not getting hurt, a deadly combination that helped contribute to the Cheesehead glory. Tim is from all indications a great guy and I love to see someone from the UK football family have success. While he hasnt entertained me the most of anyone around UK football this week (that honor goes to Theltus “Bookie” Cobbins, who is going to be the most entertaining UK football personality in a long time…wait and see), he did give me at least a small rooting interest in a game that otherwise carried little for me. Five important thoughts about the Super Bowl however:

— There will never be a more random group of people in an owner’s box than what we saw on Sunday night. George W Bush, John Madden, Condi Rice, Ashton Kutcher, Michael Douglas, Emmitt Smith and Jesse Jackson, all sitting within two rows of each other….awesome.

— The best commercials were the NFL gear on tv characters and the Eminem Chrysler commercial. Darth Vader as a kid was ok, but the Chevrolet one was produced as impressively as any I can remember seeing. As for the Doritos one, it had the fingerprints of something BTI would do all over it.

— The music acts hurt me to see. Christina has a great voice, but she mangled the words and looks like she ate the 1999 version of herself. And the Black Eyed Peas…well that was just atrocious. Why not get Jay Z, Eminem, Kanye, Drake, etc and go in that direction if you are trying to be relevant? Fergie and the Peas need studio enhancement and that doesnt come through live. It hurt me to listen to.

— The pregame show was wayyyyyyy too long but did include O’Reilly getting his rude on with the President. Everyone knows I like Obama but a text I got from a good friend who is a hardcore GOPer sums up how terrible O’Reilly looked. “O’Reilly found a way to be so arrogant that it made my least favorite person seem likeable….nice job Bill.”

— If there is ever a moment in my life where I am on television being fed popcorn by my girlfriend, please make fun of me mercilessly. Because I know that I did it to A-Rod tonight.

Only two stories really matter tonight, so lets hit them quickly:

MITCH BARNHART CONTRACT EXTENSION:

I wanted to wait and deal with this later this week, but we went ahead and pulled the trigger tonight. Two sources told KSR today that Mitch is working on a contract extension with Lee Todd and the University of Kentucky that would make him the Athletic Director long term in Lexington. The sources tell me that the deal could be announced as early as this week and that it is being done now before Lee Todd exits office. I must say that I am very surprised by the timing of the decision as one would think that decision would be left for the new President. But Todd and Barnhart are very close and Mitch has obviously considered leaving the school, including a very public flirtation with Kansas earlier this school year.

Then there is the issue of Barnhart’s relationship with Calipari, which while not contentious, is not exactly warm and friendly either. Locking Barnhart in as Athletic Director for a long period of time would essentially long the two of them into a long working relationship as well, something that would likely be stressful for both. They differ on a few things with the program and with some major issues coming forward in the near future, most significantly the question of a new arena, a contract extension means that their tense relationship will go into the future.

The sources tell me that we could hear something this week on the longterm deal and I must say that I am surprised by this development. The sources tell KSR that it is “very close” to happening, and if it does get completed, I will be very interested to see the specifics. Barnhart has been a great Athletic Director in the secondary sports, is committed to raising the resources for the football program, but has a tense connection with those on the basketball side. The soap opera in Lexington will continue to be more fascinating.

BASKETBALL TEAM:

The Cats now sit 4-4 in the SEC with a huge two-game stretch against Tennessee and Vanderbilt forthcoming. Win both games and you are right back where you want to be, on pace to get a good seed (3 or 4) in the tournament. Split the series and your season remains up in the air, almost requiring a win in Knoxville at the end of the year. Lose both and all of a sudden the potential for being on the NCAA bubble becomes real. Calipari today said that he believed in his team and that he was confident in them going forward. I believe in the team as well but they HAVE to find a way to close out games.

Kentucky is very close to being 7-1 in conference and has shown itself to be in every game. But they also havent been able to close in any game and at some point that starts to seem like a pattern. A caller to the radio show the other night also raised a good point which is that this team just doesnt look as good as it once did. Leave aside the results or the missed plays, but the UK team that played against Notre Dame and Louisville, was clearly better than their opponents and looked to have them outmanned at every position. Against Ole Miss and Alabama, somehow that changed. I dont mind a loss to Florida, but not looking better at every position against SEC West opponents is worrisome.

With that said, two wins this week and things are better. The Cats have to take care of business at home and then hope to make a huge statement in Nashville. I think they CAN do it…the question is will they.

We begin with Kentucky Sports Radio at 10 am on Talk Radio 1080 AM. You can stream at this link to hear the show and we will talk about the Gator game, Mitch and the Sports Junkies feud from Friday. Plus be sure and follow the KSR crew for news on Twitter….four are linked below and the rest will be linked through the week. Lets get it done….

Matt Jones

Beisner

Drew Franklin

Turkey Hunter

Article written by Matt Jones

114 Comments for Tim Masthay’s Monday News and Views

1. dman
    11:12 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Congrats Tim Masthay on winning the Super Bowl. Way to represent UK and Western Kentucky

2. ZombieLibrarian
    11:13 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Masthay is Nastay!!!!!

3. ZombieLibrarian
    11:16 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Well, Pittsburgh kept the score close and Waffleburger managed to go the entire game without sexually assaulting anyone, so all in all it could have been worse for Pittsburgh. Although I think some credit should be given to Cowboy Stadium officials for requiring any ladies needing to use the restroom near the Steelers locker room at half time to travel in pairs. That’s what we call ‘forward thinking’.

4. P.L. Wallingford, III
    11:19 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

You were just stunned that Obuma didn’t get the usual softballs thrown to him by his lackeys in the MSM. An interview by Mother Teresa would look confrontational compared to what he usually gets.

5. Owen
    11:19 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Well, the basketball side seems to take care of itself while the football side definitely needs some more support from the administration. If Calipari remains, which he will obviously do for the next few years at the very least, then no one needs to worry about basketball. If Mitch is committed to football then I’m totally alright with the extension.

6. Rolo
    11:19 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

You can’t sugarcoat it. Our conference results have been disastrous, nothing less.

7. Donnie
    11:22 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

We have a winning coach. We will be fine

8. Blueball96
    11:24 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Update: that was a Chrysler commercial, not Chevrolet.

9. Computer Blue
    11:26 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Not that I’m against Barnhart, but Todd signing him on his way out the door seems unethical.

10. Sports Junkies
    11:27 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

bring it on MATT JONES…

11. Chad Kemper
    11:30 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Chrysler and yes a great commercial.

12. Frank Drebin
    11:39 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

# 4 says it best

13. Rick Flair
    11:41 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

#3 dont hate because the Bengals won 4 games this year.. Go ahead and pull the I dont watch NFL card, alot of homo’s do its ok!

14. Frank Drebin
    11:45 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

#4 says it best

15. lucky charms
    11:47 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

is masthay a leprachaun?

16. Stickman
    11:48 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Barnhart hired Gillispie, Barnhart made Joker the “head coach in waiting”, Barnhart probably only hired Calipari because he knew his ass was on the line, Barnhart doesn’t exactly get along with Calipari…all in all I’d say I’m disappointed at the prospect of Barnhart being around for a while.

17. BBN
    11:49 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

There still seems to be a significant amount of selfish play and infighting amongst by the UK players. Unless that gets cleared up and they start playing together in unity without the selfishness, they will continue to lose games.

18. bubba
    11:52 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

Was there a football game on today? Must have missed it.

19. Uk
    11:53 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

16, only bad move their was hiring Gillespie and he fired him after 2 years. what more could you want? And he “probably” only hired Calipari… seriously? And as for Joker, he signs arguably the top class in UK history, beats Louisville, beats Spurrier in his first year and you are already giving up on him? Not the biggest Joker fan either, but give the guy some slack.

GO Barnhart! GO CATS!

20. manu1433
    11:54 pm February 6, 2011 Permalink

and those other no-talent musical hacks you mentioned wouldn’t need studio enhancements?….last time i checked Kanye and Drake can’t shit autotune…halftime show is becoming a joke if keep going in this direction

Springsteen was amazing, Tom Petty was cool, Stones are to old and only played gay pop songs but still wasn’t that bad, Prince was alright…How about Radiohead, My Morning Jacket, Raconteurs, or even John Mayer would be nice

21. billybob
    12:04 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

the relationship between barnhart and Coach is being over dramatized here in this article. you use the word tense as if they’re at each others’ throat and this is implying that there is some sorta drama between barnhart and Coach (matt probably watches glee after the superbowl). its good when the AD questions the Coach, and its good when the coach questions the AD. You don’t want to have a program where the basketball coach has final say in everything. matt is just trying to create soap opera suspense by overhyping the relationship between the two.

22. Kentucky14
    12:10 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Vader commercial was the best…NFL gear was stupid…Chrysler was really good too

23. Urincatland
    12:12 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

No offense Matt Jones, I don’t know what the hell you were watching, but I thought the halftime show was damn good… Go Cats!!

24. Urincatland
    12:13 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Pepsi Max commercials were my favorites…

25. SeoulCat
    12:15 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I’ve got an idea…dump the halftime show entirely. It’s lame every year.

26. Owen
    12:30 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Anyone who thought the halftime show was worth half a shit is clearly insane. Usher was maybe worth a quarter of a shit.

27. Phoenix Jones
    12:34 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I feel that the problem is that Terrence Jones hasn’t been like the Jones at the beginning of the season, sure he is averaging about the same but he isn’t getting his points in the flow of the offense. He either gets them by getting a lucky bounce on a bad looking shot or by junk points at the end of a game. He needs to work on maintaining the tempo of offense and letting it come to him instead of constantly trying to force his way to the basket and backing down an opponent 1v1 or even sometimes 2v1.

28. Peyt
    12:45 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

If i’m caught on camera with Cameron Diaz feeding me… make fun of me all you like. I have Diaz on my arm, what lo down ho you got?

29. Women Everywhere
    1:23 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Puppy Bowl should be played at halftime. Huge ratings.

30. Esteban
    2:11 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

a-rod earned a new fan tonight..any man who can get cameron diaz to feed him popcorn at the superbowl is my new hero.

31. Esteban
    2:13 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

and what about the declaration of independence reading before the game…wow…i expected obama and tebow to release some doves or shoot eagles outta their asses at the end of all that!

32. haha
    3:16 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

33. MikeInLex
    3:21 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

They only have 6 players, 3 are freshmen. Lower your expectations to a top 15 year …. they arent last years team but with luck they can shoot their way further.

34. StillaUKFan
    5:53 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

The best commercial by far was the Bud Light product placement one! Overall it was a down year for commercials!

35. SexnNursinHomes
    6:09 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I didn’t watch the super bowl. How did Janet Jackson’s tits look? Dark and nippley?

36. manu1433
    6:19 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

people are dumb

37. UKRon
    6:25 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Masthay looks like Ronald McDonald’s ugly brother.

38. kentuckyjoe
    6:30 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

great to see you here Matt. And Bill Orally is just rude period. Christina was awful.

39. bluebayou
    6:43 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

the difference in the interview was O’rielly’s I’m sitting forward in the chair in attach mode. Even the MSM showed a level of respect when interviewing Bush because he was President Bill is a jerk

40. dave
    6:45 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Matt: Check 1 :Obama is a clown and O’ Reilly treated him as such. Check 2: your supposed GOP friend was probably none other than Jack ” pretty boy” Conway. Check 3: every time you bring politics onto this website you become a douche.

41. Bg Wildcat
    6:55 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Im Glad Mitch s Focus Is On Football. People Forget That It Actually Brings In More Money Than Bball Which Did Get A New Practice Facility Recently. That Being Said, I Think Its Bush League 4 An Outgoing Prez To Sign Any High Dollar Employee To An Extention On The Way Out. Hopefully Something Like That Would Have To Go Through The Board Of Regents For Approval.

42. ShagOnSports
    7:03 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Damn Jones what the hell do you like about Obama??? The halftime show peaked when Slash played and Fergie sang Sweet Child!!! I was for the Packers because of Masthay… When the game was over Aaron Rodgers texted Brett Farve a picture of his junk…

43. ky curious
    7:07 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I still dont think I understand what the division between Barnhart and Calipari truly is. What issues are really going on. You mention they differ on the arena issue but I thought both were for building a new arena. I’ve been hearing they dont get along for months but have never understood a logical reason why. It’s interesting to say the least and I would just like to know more. Is it because of the book tours and all of that and Cal promoting himself more than the university? That theory makes no sense either since every time he’s on TV, signing books, making speaking engagements etc. the positive attention comes back to UK, not just him. I just dont get how in two years with all that Cal has done that him and the AD could be at serious odds.

44. Don Shula
    7:16 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Larry Seiple, was a red headed punter for me from UK and was on the Dolphins 17-0 team. Slide back in the line Masthay.

45. Ben
    7:23 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

We went 4-4 against the weaker side of our schedule! What makes everyone think we will do better against stronger competition? This teams problem is it’s upperclassmen!

46. Big Blue Barber
    7:24 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

looks like Beis follows Jones…I’d doubt he’ hire a conservative..oh wait, that WAS Jones…still same tired old obama liberal crap on a sports blog. Maybe its just me (I’d doubt it) but I like O’Reilly and I think Obamas gay. And I skipped the peas. BUT GO PACKERS! Great game

47. swampbreath
    7:33 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

mitch will have NOTHING to do with the basketball team, and he knows this. the basketball team is in cal’s hands. mitch needs to go concentrate on the rifle team or womans soccer team and be happy

48. barn
    7:46 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

big screen video of bill monroe performance would have been better than that crap at halftime. christine aguilera should be made to sit in a locked room and listen incesantly to kate smith sing the national anthem

49. chuckydoll
    7:53 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

40….very well said!

50. Kanter Banter
    8:17 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Well, I hate to mix politics with sports…but since Matt decided to do it, I feel compelled to respond. OReilly was not too harsh on Obama. He called him out on things and was “matter of fact” about it. There was no disrespect.

51. Roach K
    8:19 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Geez, O’Reilly gave Obama nothing softball questions about how it feels to be President. He even let Obama get away with the outrageous lie that Obamacare allowed you to keep your existing insurance. Only until time to renew it, then you have to drop it and buy one of Obama’s plans. Obama baldface lied and O’Reilly let him. What a softball interview.

52. Tobias Funke
    8:30 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

LOL. Read anything besides Glen beck’s books, Roach?

53. CA
    8:40 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I don’t think O’Reilly was too harsh on Obama – Bill was very respectful to the office of the President. Unfortunately, I don’t think that Obama respects the office he is holding. I saw the tribute to President Reagan and would love to have another President like him (which Obama isn’t – can’t believe that he tries to compare himself to the Gipper).

54. not really
    8:52 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

worst halftime ever.

55. BEP
    8:54 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

The BEP performance wasn’t bad. It was the audio that was bad. While Fergie still has a good voice, the combination of her vocals being too high at points and the music being too low made it sound bad. And bad in a sense that it doesn’t sound like they sound on the radio, which is what most people want to hear.

I’d like to hear opinions from people in the stadium whether the audio was as bad there or if it was just bad for the tv viewers.

56. cobb4heisman
    8:57 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Chances duhvilles ranked higher than the cayuts?

57. Mr Schwump
    9:05 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Now I understand how the state of Kentucky elected the mental midget Paul.

58. billy
    9:18 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

So you don’t like O’Reilly. Well I think I will cry all day long. I guess you want a socialistic goverment which is one step lower than a dictatorship. Have fun the rest of your life. Oh and get ready to pay much, much taxes out of your pay check. Ha

59. billy
    9:19 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I guess you like a welfare state also. Huh?

60. ChristinaA
    9:20 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Oh say can you see / By the dawn’s early light / What so proudly we hail / In the twilight’s last gleaming? / Whose bright stripes and broad stars / In the perilous night / For the ramparts we watched / uh, da-da-da-da-da-daaaa. / And the rocket’s red glare / Lots of bombs in the air / Gave proof to the night / That we still had our flag. / Oh say does that flag banner wave / Over a-a-all that’s free / And the home of the land / And the land of the – FREE!

61. billy
    9:20 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

48 I think that woman was on dope just about as high as it gets.

62. Ben
    9:29 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Wow! Shows you how bad KY Basketball has gotten – most of the post are about O’Reilly and Obama! Can we bring on Football so we can have something different to complain about.

63. knightynight
    9:37 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

56) 100%

64. BigBlueFan
    9:44 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

If you didn’t think the Darth Vader Kid was the best, you didn’t spend your childhood trying to move things using the force.

65. Kanter Banter
    9:47 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Matt, stick to writing rah rah UK…get out of politics…You look like a doucher when you do that.

66. Matty
    9:47 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I like socialism and for the government to decide everything for everyone, because they know better than us.

67. Bill O'Reilly
    9:47 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I own Matt Jones! 🙂

68. JAMES MILBURN
    9:47 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I love how you all are NOW worrying about the season, when after the Alabama loss, anyone with any sense could see all this coming, that we were gonna finish with a marginal SEC record and be a low seed in the tourney. The Bama loss pretty much sealed the deal that ANY road game could be a loss, and that if you lose to Ole Miss, then you know you’re gonna lose AT FLA, AT UT, AT Vandy, and possibly at ARK. And I see this team being the one to break the Rupp winning streak, they could lose to ANY of those 3 East teams at home this year. In other words, I’ve been worried about all this since a month ago, now you all are crying “OMG!!”. Did the GA and Bama losses not teach you anything?

69. tbradg
    9:50 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

My .02 Matt but the fact that you “like Obama” just cost you some cred points with me.

70. Marion county
    9:53 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Congratulations to Tim Mastahy and its time John Calipari start to think that winning the SEC is important! Obviously the players are listening to their coach and think winning the SEC is not important also. You do not get a good NCAA seed without doing good in the SEC. Cal wake up!

71. Director's Cup standings
    10:07 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Barnhardt is graded on his performance by the Director’s Cup standings… This is a “league” for the ADs around the country to be graded by all the sports they are in charge of and thier performances respectively. Kentucky’s ranking? 98th…. UL Tom Jurich? 21st…. Hmmmmmmm……

72. right said fred
    10:35 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Ms Diaz can feed me anything anytime she wants and if you say you wouldn’t let her feed you Matt you are either light in your lofers or crazy.

73. sunnycat
    10:44 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

Matt you need to keep your liberal views to yourself. And what is there to “like” about him? And the nerve of that left wing radical to whine about not having privacy. He can take his ass back to Chicago with the rest of his left wing radicals. I happen to be satisfied with my health insurance that just paid a $151,000 hospital bill and left me owing $450.

74. sunnycat
    10:45 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

69 Same here….

75. Flyrock
    10:48 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

People here who actually think that they are living in a socialist country, may want to go ask the government to buy them a dictionary. Seems like the least the state could do.

76. Bluecalizone
    10:57 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

First off let me say that I’m not at all into politics. Then let me say that O’Reilly is nothing short of a arrogant a$$hole, really don’t think it would matter who he is interviewing. The sad part is that a dickhead like this is making millions of dollars basically doing nothing, while lots of hard working people that have real jobs struggle to pay their bills and keep food on their table. The one thing about O’Reilly and all the dickheads at Fox do that really sticks in my craw is the fact that they refuse to refer to President as “President Obama”, instead its just “Obama”. I’m not a fan nor not a fan of the President, but the office and the person holding it deserves the Respect of the media enough to be address and referenced in a respectuful fashion.

77. Valkylries are the ONLY way to Valhalla!!!
    11:14 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

The president has fixed the economy and gotten us out of combat operations in Afghanistan. Thanks to increased federal spending, we’re fixing our infrastructure and undoing the years of neglect that this country suffered under GOP rule.

Personally, I think that all the red states in this country should be set free from paying federal taxes and receiving all federal services and regulations. When they devolve into gridlocked, polluted, unsafe, ignorant and inpovershed third-world countries, they might repent from their stupidity and see the underlying logic to liberal politics.

78. sunnycat
    11:35 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

75-77 This country is headed toward socialism. If anybody thinks socialism works just look at Europe. The problem with socialism is you run out of other peoples money. This president is about wealth redistribution how much more money are you willing to pay in taxes to maintain the lifestyle of people who live off of tax dollars and receive dirt cheap section 8 rent and food stamps and free medical care while they talk on their iphone wearing $120 shoes and while they keep having kids for the tax payers to pay for.

79. Kanter Banter
    11:36 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

76)….when you say dickhead making millions of dollars basically doing nothing….are you referring to Obama?

80. sunnycat
    11:48 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

77 Troops are still in Aphganistan and federl spending is not the answer. The federal government is a parasite on the american taxpayer. “underlying logic to liberal politics”. The liberals in this country want socialism plain and simple. If anyone is ignorant enough to believe that under socialism everybody gets a new car and new house and a bank account full of money well nothing could be further from the truth. I have WORKED and EARNED everything I have and I suggest if anyone else wants something get off your ass and go to work and earn it. Will it be easy most likely not but if your to lazy to earn it you dont deserve it. Name another country on this planet you would rather live than the U.S. and if you can name one I suggest you pack your bags and move there.

81. sunnycat
    11:56 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I can see why so many people like the left wing Democrats they have done such a fine job in places like California and New York. I mean who wouldnt want to pay 50% – 60% of their income in taxes and the state still doesnt have enough money to operate.

82. kyhank
    11:59 am February 7, 2011 Permalink

I like this give um the facts # 80, people that believe that people who have money are Evil are nuts

83. CalifCatFan
    12:00 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

Obama is ruining this country.

84. sunnycat
    12:00 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

76 I cant wait to call him “former president” obama after the next election hopefully.

85. Mountain Blue
    12:01 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

77. The economy is fixed???? There are zero combat operations in afghanistan right now??? (wish you would tell that to my cousin, he would like to come home). You must get your news from Olberman or Madcow. Thanks to useless federal spending our great-great-great-granchildren will still be paying off the porkulus, while flying their super green gov. motors cars. And if the red states spilt from the blue states, California (a.k.a. East Germany) would be beggin’ Texas for money in ten yrs. Its the spending and entitlements stupid!

86. Mountain Blue
    12:11 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

Didn’t you guys know, we’re gonna have six more years with a bad economy. Yeah on Feb. 2 Obama came out and bowed to his own shadow.

87. sunnycat
    12:16 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

86 Thats the only thing he hasnt bowed to.

88. Valkylries are the ONLY way to Valhalla!!!
    12:20 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

78.

One, we’re so far from socialism it is ridiculous. Two, real socialism seems to be working great for the Scandinavian countries, but they have systems and circumstances radically different from ours in the US. We, like the rest of the world, need to have a mixed economy that combines the entrepreneurial spirit of free-market capitalism and the regulation, infrastructure and social safety-net of government involvement. The government is the representation of the democratic will of the people and it is also the most efficient and precise instrument by which our collective abilities can be used and potentials can be met. No man is an island.

89. Valkylries are the ONLY way to Valhalla!!!
    12:23 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

78.

By the way, most of the people living off of food stamps and medicaid and medicare live in Reds States. We should really just let the GOP secede from the USA and devolve into their own ignorance-driven anarchy. There is a reason there has never been a successful attempt at a libertarian state in the entire span of world history that hasn’t eventually resembled Afghanistan or Somalia. Civil and economic institutions run by the government with the trust of the people is the only way to ensure stability both in economics and security.

What the masses in the Republican party are preaching right now is irresponsible madness.

90. auggie
    12:24 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

Matt,I am a 70 yr. old male who really enjoys reading the articles on KSR and love listening to your radio show every day on podcast. I am a very conservative person and strongly believe Pres. Obama IS a socialist and will do great damage to our country before his term (terms) are over. I am one of those who also believe you should leave your liberal political opinions off your site.I was in business for 25 yrs. myself, and learned that political opinions and business do not mix very well.

91. Valkylries are the ONLY way to Valhalla!!!
    12:27 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

80)

I can name a few countries that I would rather live in than the US: Lebanon, Japan, Monaco, Sweden, France, Germany, India, Australia, Canada.

However, I was born here and this is my home. Though my choice of career will probably lead to some years lived in at least one or two of those countries, I do love it here despite its flaws – and that, my stupid friend, is what patriotism really is.

92. Shields Eyes
    12:43 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

91. Arrogance suits you fine.

93. lexslamman
    12:54 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

92.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

94. sunnycat
    12:55 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

91 Lebanon really? And you call me stupid. Canada would that be the same Canada who has government run health care and the people come to the U.S. for QUALITY health care and no six month to one year waiting lists to see a doctor and if you need an expensive treatment in Canada or Germany you may as well get out the shovel. France is well on their way to being bankrupt and Sweden isnt to far behind. But judging from your list I would say you definitly have socialist views.

95. sunnycat
    1:01 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

Like my bumper sticker says: I will kepp MY guns MY money and MY freedom and YOU can keep the CHANGE.

96. NBA league pass
    1:02 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

78) AMEN. The problem is no politician can ever say it like that, but the statement you just made is reality.

97. Shields face
    1:04 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

93. Your cutting and pasting skills are phenomenal.

98. TonyDelk00
    1:10 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

91. Go live in one of those countries then. Read the Bill of Rights, preferably the 10th Amendment, and tell me this country was founded on big government.

99. Mountain Blue
    1:15 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

93. That sums up the donkey party, especially the “cult of ignorance” part.

100. lexslamman
    1:22 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

98 From my study of constitutional law, which was a while ago, I think the General Welfare principle, the power to tax and regulate commerce, and the supremacy clause override most of what your interpretation of Amendment 10 implies. Besides, within the historical and literal context of the Bill of Rights, Amendment 10 is more about what the states are allowed to do than what the federal government isn’t allowed to do.

101. sunnycat
    1:28 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

Its more of a cult of laziness and ignorance all rolled into one. To lazy to work and ignorant enough to think the Government is the cure to all your woes.

102. Mike Tyson
    1:38 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

#16 – The only bad move Barnhart made was with CBC, and he corrected quick. Naming Joker the head coach in waiting was genious. Let’s face it. We are probably a 3-9 team today if that didn’t happen. Most of our good recruits we landed at the end of the Brooks era stated that was a strong selling point knowing that Joker was the next coach.

103. CatsfaninFL
    1:47 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

POLITICAL NERD FIGHT!!! Everyone that doesn’t believe what I believe sucks and should just keep their ideas to themselves while I continue to scream mine! Yeah!

104. Gocatszzz
    1:53 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

I like watching basketball games

105. Valkylries are the ONLY way to Valhalla!!!
    2:43 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

101.

106. BigBlueBrock
    3:26 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

Man, we have some really stupid people in this fanbase.

107. CatsBalls
    3:55 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m not a baseball fan but when I saw Cameron Diaz hand-feeding popcorn to A Rod I promoted him to The Rod.

108. Kanter Banter
    4:08 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

105…wrong. Welfare cases by state: California leads by a very large margin, New York is second., Penn is 3rd, Mich is forth….what do they all have in common? LIBERAL. Thats by cases…by ratio…DC leads by a large margin, Rhode Is is 2nd, Cal is 3rd, Maine is 4th, and WV is 5th.
    Before you spout off…get your facts.

109. lexslamman
    4:16 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

This country is no more socialist now than it was under Ronald Reagan.

110. sunnycat
    4:32 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

105 How can those people be contributing to the national wealth? California and New York are near bankruptcy while New Jersey is getting turned around under a republican making spending cuts and challenging the states unions. Thats just off the top of my head. You really need to get up on current events before you spout off.

111. sunnycat
    4:35 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

109 This country is headed toward socialism. Ronald Reagan was far from socialist. He came in and slashed tax rates and mortgage rates and the economy took off unlike under Carter. Reagan did not believe in big government.

112. sunnycat
    4:40 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

113. bob
    6:06 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

101.

“Ironic, then, that the welfare-dependent seem to be mostly from Republican areas, while the working people who contribute to the national wealth all seem to be from places like Illinois, California, New Jersey and New York.”

what???? where do you come up with this shit? there are welfare-dependent areas in any major city and in every state. i mean are you serious? do you know how ridiculous you sound???

114. Tom Seaver
    6:56 pm February 7, 2011 Permalink

O’Reilly doesn’t fellate The One on national TV while asking him questions equals Jones saying he got his rude on. Go watch Chris “Tingles” Matthew talk about getting a thrill up his leg thinking about The One if you want your version of balance. Perhaps Herr Olbermann should have interviewed The One? While O’Reilly has a big mouth, it probably isn’t enough to blow The One and ask questions at the same time. Olbermann can get that done. He has plenty of free time.