Tim Couch’s Wednesday News and Views

tim-couch-kentucky

Today, we salute Kentucky football legend Tim Couch on his 36th birthday. Despite Kentucky’s struggles on the football field, Lexington has been home to a handful of very good quarterbacks since the late 1990’s when Couch was directing Hal Mumme’s Air-Raid offense. Couch, named a 1998 Heisman Trophy finalist and drafted as the No. 1 overall pick of the 1999 NFL Draft, paved the way for Dusty Bonner, Jared Lorenzen and Andre Woodson to have successful careers as quarterbacks at Kentucky. Mike Hartline wasn’t too shabby, either. Lets hope that the success under center continues for the Cats in the near future as the Air-Raid offense returns.

To this day, Couch maintains a bond with other Kentucky quarterbacks from the past, present and future, as you can see from his tweets today:

In Couch’s three years at Kentucky, he totaled 8,435 yards, 74 touchdowns and 35 interceptions. He racked up 4,275 yards and 36 touchdowns in his 1998 campaign alone, leading Kentucky to an Outback Bowl loss game vs. Penn State on New Year’s Day. Perhaps the most memorable game in Tim Couch’s UK career was a win over Louisville in the first ever game at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium. Couch completed 29 of 39 passes for 498 yards and seven touchdowns to defeat the Cardinals, 68-34, on September 5th, 1998. Today, Couch serves as a college football broadcaster, but keeps his ties strong with his Alma Matter. Not only can we thank Couch for a fantastic career on the field, but we can be grateful for his part in helping bring Mark Stoops to Kentucky last November. Thank you for everything you’ve done, and Happy Birthday to No. 2!

And now on to the News and Views…

— Wednesday started out with the exciting news that Anthony Davis, Darius Miller and the Pelicans will be playing an exhibition game against John Wall and the Wizards on  Saturday, October 19th in Rupp Arena. The game will tip off at 7 pm and will be the second night of a UK basketball doubleheader, with Big Blue Madness taking place on Friday night.

— Then we heard the unfortunate news about Terrence Jones’ arrest in Portland. The news is very disappointing to hear.

— A handful of Wildcats spoke to the media today at John Calipari’s Pro Camp. Below is a conversation at the press conference between the group of former players in town about who will the Alumni Game:

Cousins: We will.

MKG: Everybody knows who’s going to win the game, really.

Davis: 2010. I say 2010 will win it.

Cousins: Thank you, Anthony.

Bledsoe: Did you say 2010 will win? Glad you’re honest.

Davis: Nah, 2012. We’re proven winners.

Bledsoe: Wow.

Cousins: Got nothing to say to that.

— John Calipari sat down with the media today as well, talking to WKYT’s Rob Bromley about a number of topics today, including his former players returning to campus to help with the Pro Camps and the upcoming Alumni Game.

Highlights of the interview:

— Calipari said that at the rate UK is putting players in the league, in two years, former UK players could account for 10% of the NBA, which makes fielding an annual alumni game pretty easy.

— What did Cal make of Jeff Sheppard’s comments about the one-and-done culture at UK and how he feels closer to Rick Pitino? “It’s not on my radar right now. …I’m disappointed he feels that way, but it’s understandable. He didn’t play for me.”

— Cal says he called four coaches on Kyle Wiltjer’s behalf and made it clear to Kyle that he was welcome to come back to UK, “but in the end, you’ve gotta roll with it.”

— This year was the last year UK will hold the satellite camps across the state. “I’ve been in enough cities and counties in the state to run for Governor,” Cal joked. Instead, he plans to expand the pro camp circuit, taking them on the road to Northern Kentucky and Louisville.

More News and Views…

— A Kentucky 7th-grader set a record for the highest one-day total in Jeopardy! Kids Week history. Skyler Hornback, 12, of Sonora, near Elizabethtown, won $66,600 on Wednesday’s episode. Congrats to Skyler!

jeopardykid

— Think the camp and the interview was enough for John Calipari to take in for the day? Wrong. Here he is with Pirates’ manager Clint Hurdle and a message for Reds fans: calpirates

— The Pirates won again tonight to stay atop the NL Central. There’s a lot of games left, but it is looking more and more likely that we could see a Reds-Cardinals one-game playoff…which I know will divide a lot of you KSR readers.

That’s it for tonight. Tune in tomorrow when Matthew Mitchell hosts KSR Radio at 10 am!

Article written by John Wilmhoff

Former beer vendor, college mascot and ESPN editor. This spring, you can also find me blogging about the Reds on blogredmachine.com. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnWilmhoff

31 Comments for Tim Couch’s Wednesday News and Views

1. Do whut?
    11:26 pm July 31, 2013 Permalink

More and more likely? Yeah because a 2.5 and 6 game lead over the second and third place teams respectively is guaranteed to hold up with over 50 games left.

2. Okolona max
    11:29 pm July 31, 2013 Permalink

That’s crazy, I work at Valhalla golf club and I caddied for TIm today. He shot 95 and played pretty bad, but he has only been playing for about 5 years and played from the black tees which is 6900 yards. He did have 2 birdies, # 9 and 13!!!!!! Happy bday again, deuce

3. Chris
    11:32 pm July 31, 2013 Permalink

When will you post that 2014 big board that you mentioned this morning?

4. lesigh
    11:54 pm July 31, 2013 Permalink

Redlegs. Never root for Cardinals anything in any sport. Period.

5. Seven Eight Nine
    11:56 pm July 31, 2013 Permalink

#4 agreed.

6. 44 Stitches
    12:22 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

Way to do your thing on Jeopardy Skyler Hornback and rep Kentucky. Young man looks smart which is a good thing but also looks like he has a sense of humor as well. Tim Couch is a living legend in my book.

7. ShamWOOOWWWW
    12:22 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

Damn, creeps me out to think that while Couch was leading our boys on the field at the Outback Bowl, old man Sandusky was in the press box sodomizing little boys and fingering their belly buttons. Yuck. Go Cats?

8. LaRue
    12:38 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

Skyler is from LaRue County and Sonora is closer to Hodgenville than Etown.

9. Burton Fulbright
    1:01 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

Really, Cal? “He use to be a Red”? He USE…?
    Highest paid educator in the commonwealth…

10. Culver
    1:57 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

Just curious, will Terrence Jones be participating in the alumni game, or will he be a stand-up guy and honor his prior commitments? Those old ladies at Bluegrass Nursing Home were/are really looking forward to their ass-kicking from Mr. Jones. I would just think so much less of him if he disappointed them. Them old ladies deserve, have earned, the right to have Mr. Jones stomp a hole in their ass. Just saying.

11. doc18uk
    6:50 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

Pirates will fade soon, Cardinals will win it, go Red Birds!!!

12. dsparklender
    6:53 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

just as in real life,everytime little brother gets a new place to play big brother is the 1st to come in and lay a whipping on his butt. Gotta a new fottball stadium,time to whup up on lil bro…got a new basketball arena…be right down to give you your 1st butt kickin….gotta love it how sports mimmicks life

13. KentuckyHouse
    7:56 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry, unless you grew up in extreme western Kentucky, there’s no excuse for being a Cardinals fan over a Reds fan. It’s called bandwagon fans and it’s a shame…since all the Cardinals recent success is built on the lie that is Albert Pujols and his roided out body. What’s that? He’s never failed a test? IIRC, neither did McGwire, but that hasn’t stopped the writers from keeping him from the HOF for the past 4-5 years. And now, at the time Pujols should be in the twilight of his prime, he’s breaking down in front of our very eyes. It’s a good thing the Cardinals dumped him before that happened, right? No need to worry, though…your roid-lust can still be fulfilled by players such as Matt Holiday and Yadier Molina.

I’ll take Phillips, Votto, Bruce, and all the other Reds players over the roid-factory that is the St. Louis Cardinals, thank you very much.

14. jcatron
    8:10 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

That kid on jeopardy last night made everyone else his bitch. The other boy he was facing was almost in tears at the end of the show b/c of the spanking Skyler gave him. Pretty bold move the way he bet almost everything when there was no way he could lose. Confratz!

15. MrJohnsonUK
    8:24 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

11 – That’s what I’m talking about! Going to catch Sat/Sun’s Cards/Reds games up in Cincy. Hopefully we can end this losing streak and start a winning won against the Reds.

16. DrSayre
    8:36 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

It’s great to see all of UK’s quarterbacks talk to each other on Twitter!

17. Dang
    8:39 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

Dang 13. You feel better now? LOL

18. shields eyes
    8:39 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

13…it is ironic that you mention steroids in a post about Tim Couch.

19. Rockfield, KY
    9:06 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

13. Chill out buddy, people can cheer for whoever they want. I”m from BGKY and don’t cheer for either team. I’ve been a Braves fan my whole life because my cousin worked for Ted Turner and constantly gave me Braves gear when I was little. Plus, I would never cheer for anything that is in that hellhole of a state (Ohio).

20. Wagons
    9:18 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

I cant take anybody seriously that lives in KY and is a Braves fan. If you fit in this scenario then you are a bandwagon fan in the truest sense of the word. Every Braves fan I talk to from KY has the loosest of ties to the Braves but they always think they have a legitimate reason to be fan. The truth is the Braves dominated their division in the 90’s and all the bandwagon fans were drawn to success. There would be zero Braves fans in KY if they had the Reds record in the 90’s.

21. FALSE
    9:30 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

@21. How cant people around here be fans of the Braves? I grew up my whole life doing the same thing.. School, homework, playing outside, watched the braves game nightly on TBS! I have managed to travel to Atlanta multiple times for games, Chipper Jones was the reason I even picked a bat up in the first place. Don’t try and say we cant be fans just because we don’t root for your Red’s. That is the reason I don’t like the Red’s. To many people that don’t care about baseball say they are Red’s fan’s because they are close! I hate that!

22. I Say
    9:38 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

I dont even like the MLB. There are too many trades, different players every year, and no continuity to rosters and management. It is more of a business than a sport. But I must say that 21 and 13 are both D-bags for telling people who they should and shouldn’t root for. I hate louisville but I would never tell a lville fan who to cheer for.

23. Deuce is Loose
    9:44 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

Happy Birthday Timmah!

24. cracka
    9:51 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

cal is from pissburgh, so i can understand him here and his relationship with mike tomlin (who i respect), but i HATE the stealers … i cheer for my hometown uk college teams and my pro cincy teams … if you grew up in lexington, i don’t know how you don’t feel a sense of loyalty to cincy, they’re so much closer than atlanta regardless of who was on tv … if you grew up 3 or 4 or more hours away from cincy, i could understand … if you grew up in western ky, you’re probably closer to stl

25. Cat Fan in Georgia
    10:06 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

23 – As a 50+ year fan of both UK basketball and MLB, I’ve got to call out any BBN member who uses “different players every year, and no continuity to rosters” as an excuse for not liking a sport. Sound like a Louisville fan’s argument. Catch my drift?

26. Honky Kong
    10:16 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

“Mike Hartline wasn’t too shabby, either.”
    What ??! -BAAHAAAHAA !!!!

27. doc18uk
    11:17 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

13- Well it just so happens that I am from Paducah and I am a huge St.Louis fan (as is all of this general area). Sorry if that bothers you but I really don’t give a #$%t what you think.

28. kybigblue
    11:40 am August 1, 2013 Permalink

Not convinced that with two months left that the Pirates won’t fade. At least they have held on longer this year than they did the last two years. What Ludwick and Cueto do may determine if the Reds can hold off Arizona/Dodgers for the last playoff spot.

29. NBA league pass
    12:35 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

I think the Pirates, Reds and Cardinals ALL suck. Go Tribe!

30. Do whut?
    1:06 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

#30 Brandon Phillips says hello. I’ll give you this much, no Cleveland fan can ever be accused of being a fair-weather fan.

31. Make Fatt Jones
    1:17 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me or does Tim Couch look like the real Matt Jones?