Thursday’s News and Views Will Make You Jump! Jump!

kriss-kross

Good evening, KentuckySportsRadio.com readers and those of you trolling us from other fan bases and websites. Tonight, we salute a hip-hop icon and fashion pioneer.

Tonight, we salute the Mac Dad.

The miggida miggida miggida Mac.

The miggida miggida miggida Mac Daddy.

You should know, you should know that uh, Chris Kelly, one half of the 1990s Kriss Kross rap duo, passed away Wednesday night. The 34-year-old was found unresponsive in his Atlanta home. The cause of death won’t be determined until at least Thursday when the autopsy is conducted. It’s wiggida, wiggida whack.

Kelly and his parter in rhyme, Chris Smith, were 13 years old when they were discovered by Jermaine Dupri in an Atlanta mall. Not long after that, America was jumping along to “Jump”, all because Kris Kross made you do it. Chris and Chris made us jump, jump, wiggle and shake our rumps. It was all in the flavor they were kickin’.

As we stand here, totally Kross’d out, we JUMP, JUMP in honor of Chris Kelly.

Don’t try to compare these News and Views to another bad little fad…

As you’re well aware by now, Kentucky released its 2013-14 non-conference basketball schedule Wednesday afternoon. The schedule features the games we already knew about — Michigan State in Chicago, at North Carolina, Baylor in Cowboys Stadium, Providence in Brooklyn and Louisville at home — plus a couple of surprises, including a tribute to one of the most beloved names in Kentucky basketball history.

A few notes…

— The Keightley Classic will debut in November this season in honor of the late Bill Keightley. Kentucky and Eastern Michigan will host the four-game round robin tournament with all four of UK’s games scheduled for Rupp Arena. Those games are against Robert Morris (Nov. 17), Texas Arlington (No. 19), Cleveland State (No. 25) and Eastern Michigan (Nov. 27). The four-game home stretch isn’t anything out of the ordinary for November, but putting Keightley’s name on the tournament is a great tribute to a Kentucky legend. I can’t wait to see what UK has planned to honor Keightley that week and I hope it continues every year.

— Kentucky’s first opponent in the Keightley Classic is a name a lot of UK fans would rather go a lifetime without hearing again. Of course, I’m talking about Robert Morris. Good ol’ Bobby Mo agreed to a rematch against the team it knocked out of the NIT in the first round last season, and from what I’ve gathered, the UK fan base is torn on the move. Many members of Big Blue Nation seem to think Robert Morris should’ve been left alone, and the rematch will only serve as a reminder of last season’s disappointment. Others want to beat the breaks off the Colonials and send them back to Moon Township with a thanks-for-playing check. I understand both sides of the debate, but I lean toward welcoming Robert Morris in with open arms. It’s for closure. And I always enjoy a good storyline.

— One non-conference opponent UK better not look past is Boise State. Boise will likely be a Top 25 team by the time the game rolls around and the Broncos return six of its leading scorers from a year ago. Not to mention, it’s the same team that helped push Kentucky off the bubble last season. They have tournament experience and they’ll be hungry for a win over a top team like Kentucky. Don’t sleep on the Broncos.

— You might’ve noticed Samford is missing from the schedule. UK had previously agreed to play the Bulldogs in an off-campus road game in nearby Birmingham as part of a three-game series, but the two sides couldn’t agree on a date so the series was dropped. Sorry, Martin Newton. You’re still our boy.

— I’ve read some complaints in the comments section about the schedule being too weak. To that, I ask, “What schedule are you looking at?” I challenge someone to name another program in American that’ll play a tougher stretch in December. You won’t find one. Michigan State on November 12? That could be No. 1 versus No. 2.

We’ll have a lot more schedule discussion on the website tomorrow.

In football recruiting news, Drew Barker still plans to announce his decision date soon. He sent out a tweet late Wednesday evening saying everything is getting finalized:

barker-tweet
Thursday, maybe?

After months and months and months of tireless Google searches, I think we’ve found the headline of the year:

duke-sex-change

According to the report, Duke administrators say they will cover the cost of the reassignment surgery up to $50,000 that will be covered with a cause a 0.3 percent increase to overall student fees. By reassignment surgery, they mean sex change. Congrats, Jabari Parker!!!

Boone’s Butcher Shop presents the Andrew Wiggins Update of the Day:

Nick Wiggins, the outspoken older brother of Andrew Wiggins, said on Wednesday that his younger brother still hasn’t made a decision. Zagsblog spoke to Nick and he said, “The days are counting down. When he is ready to make his decision he will make it.”

Unless something has changed, which could very well be the case, Andrew Wiggins plans to commit and sign before the May 15 deadline. That gives him two more weeks to narrow the four schools down to one and get this whole thing over with.

That’ll do it for now.

Some of them try to rhyme but they can’t rhyme like this
Go Go
Some of them try to rhyme but they can’t rhyme like this
Go Go
Some of them try to rhyme but they can’t rhyme like this
Go Go
Some of them try to rhyme but they can’t
Go Go

Article written by Drew Franklin

51 Comments for Thursday’s News and Views Will Make You Jump! Jump!

1. Spenser
    11:52 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

I am content with the non-conference schedule. It should show us a lot about our team heading into conference play.

2. tdogg40330
    11:57 pm May 1, 2013 Permalink

1) I agree, pretty tough schedule overall …. Gonna be a fun year !!!

3. tyson
    12:02 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I won’t be surprised if Matt all of the sudden re-enrolls at Duke “just to take a few electives”

4. Silver
    12:46 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

“As you’re well aware by now…?” I haven’t checked KSR since 10 this morning. Some of us have to work. Jesus!

5. J.D.
    1:14 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, but I can’t help asking…how many Kris Kross jokes are too many when a sad, untimely death is the pretext for the theme? More often than not, I find KSR’s comic tone to be right in the sweet spot between edgy and tasteless, but this seems a little off to me. I don’t intend to be the “scold” and won’t be commenting further, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

6. Ggg
    1:19 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I agree with Jd– the kid died and the article was full of jokes about him. Be cool Drew

7. Man ...
    1:35 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Drew, I hope you were drunk or high or both when u wrote this… If you ever are fortunate enough to adopt a child through a civil union adoption in the future and his or her life is cut short at 34.. I hope their are plenty of people there to make fun of the death….
    This is beyond ridiculous manner possible and into “crude as possible “

8. Tennesse Wildcat
    2:01 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Hey Drew, what about the two texts involving Booker and Coach Cal? That was promised on tonights late night post?

9. ukfaninohio
    2:47 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I checked the comments wondering if anybody else thought this was a little weird glad im not the only one.

10. Josh
    3:00 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I might have liked those jokes, if in a different context. Thought I’d let 2 or 3 slide but they kept on. Felt pretty uncomfortable & chose to skip the rest.

11. EyewearMan
    6:18 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Not sure what you guys are referring to. Drew was using some of the groups own lyrics in the post. It wasn’t meant to be a joke or cruel. It was meant to honor Chris Kelly. You could say it was a play on words, but nothing mean or spiteful.

12. Catlanta
    6:33 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

No wonder the Kings suck. They let a guy like Fransico Garcia ride the pine. They trade him and he is dropping 20 on the Thunder and playing good defense. I hate uofl, but you can’t tell me Garcia would not have been one of the top 5 or 6 players with the Kings. What a trash franchise. I doubt Boogie stays there.

13. I agree
    6:35 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Drew totally crapped his pants on this post. It is so obvious that Drew and Matt don’t have kids. Nice maturity.

14. ukinhc
    6:38 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Yep, the death being wiggida wiggada whack was too far. Play on words or not, that was a very poor choice. Very insensitive and actually just really dumb and irresponsible.

15. Nerlens
    6:42 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry, but the schedule is terrible. When analyzing a schedule, you can’t make an argument about the best 5 teams on the scheudle without mentioning the worst 5 teams. They essentially cancel each other out. This non conference schedule(while playing 3 likely Top 10 teams) won’t be considered one of the top non conference slates in the country.

A school that only plays one top 25 team, but that plays a consistently tough schedule top-bottom will have a better ranked schedule than us.

16. LionGeneral
    6:48 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

The man is dead, and the best you can do is try to be funny. You’re a pathetic joke, Drew Franklin. An utterly loathsome, little worm of a near man.

17. ryanno
    7:07 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

What the hell are most of you crying about? Drew is honoring the man, not trying to make fun of him. Jeez, Drew does a wonderful job and you bunch of cry babies…awww forget it.

18. Otis
    7:12 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

His job is to direct visitors to this website and to their radio show.
    When the football team is 2-10 and the basketball team gets beat by Robert Moriss in the first round of the NIT he has to resort to this.
    He is just a business man who slept through business ethics class if he took it at all

19. Don't care if you call me a curmudgeon
    7:24 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Very poor taste to discuss anyone’s death in this manner. Not funny. At all.

20. kes
    7:26 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

so we are supposed to be excited because some punk kid is going to announce, WHEN he is going to announce? who gives a shit really? just like with wiggins, cut all the drama bullshit

21. Will
    7:33 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

There is a Hunter S. Thompson Derby poster on Louisville Craigslist if you are looking for one.

22. You people
    7:38 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

You people complaining probably are also the ones that believe we should give the last place team the same trophy as the champions.

23. b oreilly
    8:00 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

i thought it was more of a tribute. too bad all drug addicts don’t have a tolerance like keith richards

24. Bubba
    8:01 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Ohio State made an offer to a top 5 QB from Arizona yesterday and went to see a QB from Louisiana. They still haven’t offered Barker. That means our odds of getting him went way up.

25. Mr Obvious
    8:05 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Obviously Nick is using Andrew for his personal 15 minutes of fame. I guess his parents didn’t care where he went to school.

26. CAL > OTS > CBC
    8:08 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Count me in the group that is complaining about the schedule. If you only look at the three best non conference games, we might have the #1 SOS in the country. When you get past that, it gets brutally awful though. Other than Baylor, Providence, Boise State, and Arlington, we don’t have anyone from the RPI Top 150.

27. caller
    8:13 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

why no mention of nku? i heard on cinci radio this am that they will play in rupp this year also

28. Warm it up Kris
    8:15 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I missed the bus!!

29. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:20 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

It doesn’t even rhyme!!

30. Musehobo
    8:27 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I’m not a fan of playing Bobby Mo again. From their perspective, they come away with a big check and a chance to play in one of the best arenas in the U.S. But to the rest of the world, we look like the big kid who got punched on the playground, then gathered his buddies to go beat up a kindergartner. And you know how much more our non-conference schedule is scrutinized compared to other D1 powerhouses.

31. AMIRITE
    8:43 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

only the good kris krosses die young

32. Rockfield, KY
    9:01 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Y’all are some serious whiny bi+ches. There literally isn’t one joke about Chris Kelly. And stop calling him a kid, he was 34. Drew obviously loved Kriss Kross and is just referencing lyrics in an effore to honor the guy. Go take a Xanax.

33. Matt Jones
    9:03 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

There isn’t one “joke” in the whole thing…it is using Kris Kross lyrics to talk about his death. Drew, like me, was a fan of the group and that is exactly how a fan would write about their death…and by the way, there have been MANY others do the same thing.

The amount of complaining that takes place in the comment section honestly is unbelievable to me

34. BPM
    9:17 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

It blows my mind that people are complaining about the schedule.

35. Bulldawg
    9:28 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

33 and 34 I totally agree… some people would complain about a BJ.

36. snarkster
    9:28 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

The dookies new recruiting campaign: “Come be a Dookie! – we’ll lop your junk off and won’t charge you a thing!”

37. MattP
    9:28 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I understand the attempt to use the play on words and his lyrics to write about him, but I agree with others that Drew may have crossed the line on this one. I found it a bit tasteless as well. I am a HUGE fan of this show and everybody associated with it and this won’t change things, but I did think it was inappropriate. I am no English grad or writer by any means… so this is just my opinion. And if you will note, I have never “complained” about anything in the comments section of a post.

38. Yep
    9:30 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

34. Yeah I don’t understand. I bet if you pulled up the top 10 teams and looked at their OOC schedule, they would look similar. I also find it funny some people are saying we have 2 marquee matchups when we clearly have 3 plus 2 other BCS teams on basically road sites. December should be a great month to be a UK fan, all interesting games. Glad NKU is on the sched too. Good for them and nice to add another D-1 instate school to cheer for.

39. MattP
    9:33 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

One other thing.. If Drew was such a huge fan he would know that Chris Kelly wasn’t the “Mac Daddy.” That was the “other” one. Chris “Daddy Mac” Smith. Just a heads up.

40. AMIRITE
    9:34 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Hey Drew just apologize. you missed the bus on this one. just say it’s something that you’ll never ever ever do again

41. Drew Franklin
    9:42 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

39. You are wrong, sir. Chris Kelly was the Mac Daddy.

42. Rockfield, KY
    9:58 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

40. I see what you did there.

43. Country Dumb
    10:06 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Hey “Get off my lawn” guy – This song was released in 1992!! This was a grown man (34), not a kid! Nevertheless, sad to hear about his death.

44. notv
    10:09 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Colonials, not Colonels.

45. M
    10:16 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I think the post is fine. I have children too. People in today’s society are way too sensitive. Also, if anyone dies of an overdose in my opinion I can’t sympathize with that. They made the choice. They’re playing roulette, and the luck ran out. Troubled or not, it was his decision, and these are the consequences. It’s almost suicide. Now if he’s the victim in a drunk driving accident or something of course I would sympathize.

46. NoDrew
    10:25 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Some media outlets are predicting Barker to South Carolina. I hope not.

47. LionGeneral
    10:30 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

No. 17. You must specialize in naïveté. Oh, forget it.

48. Krispy Krospy
    10:44 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

He died…drugs…rip.

49. Chris Kelly's corpse
    10:58 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Drew I forgive you, I just hope they put my clothes on backwards in my casket.

50. Shane Battier
    12:19 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

Free sex changes at Duke??!!!

51. NYCWildcat
    4:36 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

Wow. Are you whiny b*tches complaining about Drew’s post from Kentucky? You guys are making me ashamed of my old Kentucky home if that is the case. Have a thicker skin.