Three UK greats sit on a bench

issel-noel

While in town to promote his Maker’s Mark Keeneland special edition bottle, UK legend Dan Issel took the time to go meet Nerlens Noel. The two posed with the Joe B. statue outside of the Wildcat Coal Lodge for a picture for the ages.

Issel also stopped by the radio show this morning to talk about his Maker’s Mark bottle and tell stories from his time at UK. Listen to his appearance in the second hour below.

DAN ISSEL on Kentucky Sports Radio

24 Comments for Three UK greats sit on a bench

1. rich brooks' tomato
    3:07 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Awesome picture!! 2 great wildcats!!

2. Fire Cal Now
    3:07 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think I’d consider Noel a UK great. He had a good season but how many of us will look back on Noel’s day(s) as a Wildcat and fondly reminisce?

3. rich brooks' tomato
    3:07 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Sorry THREE great Wildcats!!!

4. VOTE YALL
    3:09 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Ask not what the Ho Burger can do for you, ask what you can do for the Ho Burger!! It’s pathetic that we are not winning. Especially since at least 50 of the votes are mine from different computers, VPN tunnels, proxies, phones, etc. Get with it ppl!!

5. rich brooks' tomato
    3:10 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Injury stopped him from having a great season. I can’t hold that against him. He will be a top 5 pick with the possibility of being #1, to me that’s GREAT!!!

6. Icecream Man
    3:21 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

The Ho is down 8 votes! This can’t stand! First the 2013 season; now this?
    If we can’t support cheddar tots and pinball, in an environment not unlike a soup kitchen, what have we become BBN? Man the phones!

7. John Ellis
    3:23 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Nerlans was on the way to being defensive player of the year, and topping Davis’ block record. He is one of the five greatest big men at UK, and Willie has an excellent chance to be the sixth next year. If he hadn’t followed Davis, who had the greatest freshmen year of any college player ever, this would be more obvious. Spivey, Issel, Bowie, Davis, Noel…

8. VOTE YALL
    3:28 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Hey mods – How about re-posting the College Eats poll now that we have lost the lead?

9. Seriously
    3:44 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

VOTE VOTE VOTE

Mods— post this link again legggooo

10. Seriously
    3:44 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

were down 73 votes now

11. Seriously
    3:45 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

WIGGINS WILL COME TO UK IF WE WIN THIS.. VOTE LOL

12. Kevin Cooke
    3:50 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

13. Lee Corso
    4:11 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

NOT SO FAST!!! Nerlens is a really good ball player, but I wouldn’t classify him as great. Davis has left a legacy at UK with all his individual records plus leading us to an eighth national title. Nerlens has left us speculating on what could’ve been, just how we viewed the team this year.

14. Rick
    4:21 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Adidas shirt?

15. Rae
    4:30 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

14. He holds one record-most blocks in a single game.

16. Linda Taylor
    4:58 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

2 – You won’t because you aren’t a fan of KY. Your loyalties reside with the color red.

17. The Venom is in the Denim
    5:04 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens..what is up with the Adidas shirt? Your bread is butter in Nike….

18. Lee Corso
    5:17 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

16. Thank you for reiterating my point

19. joeboo
    5:53 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

You can’t classify Noel as great. He played a little over half a season and he was still learning the game on offense. I don’t know if meant to cause a stir, but I know Matt would not classify him as great by no means! He was a good defensive player that had an imposing effect on the inside, but he still lacked some fundamentals in defense. Davis played the position near perfectly last year. His defense was near flawless he knew how to help out his teammates and pay attention to the whole court.

20. You'reTooYoungToRemember
    5:53 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

When Dan played for the Colonels, along with Artis/Louis/Maurice/Bird/Wendell/All, it was the best team in professional basketball. Just. Saying. The. Truth.

21. Fake_Michelangelo
    8:59 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

Joe B’s statue tops John Wooden’s statue by five furlongs.

22. KD
    11:31 pm April 2, 2013 Permalink

21) I’m not too young to remember, and I agree. Such a shame that franchise and that team could not have competed in the NBA.
    I’m a big fan of Nerlens but his legacy is certainly limited….unless he returns for another year…or two ! Horrible injury and I wish him well.

23. mlvei
    1:02 am April 3, 2013 Permalink

Dan’s post moves at UK were, I thought, the finest I had ever seen. As a slightly undersized center who had to play on the freshman team his first year and with no 3 point line and a shorter schedule, it is still amazing he is the all time leading UK scorer. When he retired, his combined ABA/NBA scoring put him, I think, in the top five of all time professional basketball scoring. But, you had to watch him play!