Thoughts go out to Carroll County

[Photo courtesy The News Democrat]

While the nation’s most talked about current disaster is taking place on the east coast as Sandy hits, the Commonwealth of Kentucky had its own tragic experience today.

We here at KSR often stick to jokes and tom-foolery, but sometimes a somber moment has to be shared. Today, a Head Start bus crashed in Carroll County killing two kindergarten students and injuring several others. The event took place merely 10 miles from the tragic Carrollton bus crash of 1988. While the reasons for today’s crash are not entirely clear yet, it is without a doubt a terrible and horrific event that deserves all of our condolences. I cannot even begin to imagine how horrible this event feels for the families and friends in the community.

We’d like to take this moment and let all the people involved with the children know that all our thoughts at KSR are with all the folks in Carroll County. As well, we also want to wish everyone well on the east coast braving Hurricane Sandy. Both these events are going to take communities coming together to help each other. A lot of terrible things are happening today, but hopefully they can be overcome soon.

Stay safe, everyone.

Article written by Chris Thomas

23 Comments for Thoughts go out to Carroll County

1. ak400_99
    9:36 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

thoughts with these families. thanks for reporting guys but maybe the picture isn’t the best idea for the families of the lost children. not a complainer just probably not the best idea

2. MemphisCat
    9:49 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Prayers from Memphis, this was a terrible accident.

3. Mike
    9:50 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

damn… now i’m bummed out. Best of wishes. Can’t imagine what the parents are going through.

4. Will
    9:52 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I too found the picture disturbing.. I have children and I sure am thinking of these families tonight.. God bless them all. So tragic

5. T Rowe
    9:55 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I agree. It’s bad taste to show that picture.

6. Brian
    9:56 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Agree with changing the pic. I have a little one in kindergarten and I can’t imagine the feeling. Bus crashes are becoming too regular. Prayers for all involved

7. Wilecatt33
    10:01 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Being a resident of the area just want to say thanks for all for the thoughts and prayers from BBN. Just goes to show that KSR goes above and beyond their duties of giving the best UK coverage in the nation. This tragedy will only bring us together and make us stronger…

8. Manbearpig
    10:13 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Good thought, crappy execution…change the pic folks

9. bmt22033
    10:18 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

As the parent of a kindergartener myself, I feel sick reading this news. No parent should ever have to bury a child. The families affected by this terrible tragedy will be in my prayers. 🙁

10. Badams
    10:29 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Pics are always on the news, I don’t think it’s in bad taste. Yes it is sad it involved kids, but we have a right to know and I hadn’t caught much of this incident. I personally like seeing this picture cuz it makes me wonder what the hell happened…it’s flat land and doesn’t appear to be any other vehicles involved. I guess I’m not lookin at it as a parent would but more of the law enforcement side of me. But despite all that, I feel for the families, so sad right before the holiday season begins. Prayers to all of them.

11. BlueNotes
    1:24 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

DAMN IT! THIS PICTURE IS STILL UP NEARLY FOUR HOURS LATER! WAKE UP!

12. TAXman
    7:06 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey guys, don’t focus on the picture. There’s no need to complain about everything.

This breaks my heart beyond words. Can’t begin to express my deepest sympathies to the parents of the two children.

13. Focus
    8:01 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

why focus on the pictures when we should be focusing our thoughts and prayers on the Families that lost loved ones.

14. Big Whoop
    8:11 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Terrible, terrible news. The families are in my prayers.

15. Rick Roy
    8:24 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

You guys are retarded! Shut up about the picture!!! The news showed videos of it and the news websites shows pictures of it!! Get over it you freaking vajiynas!!!

16. Sarah White
    8:29 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

They are absolutely correct about the picture. I am in Tennessee, and it has been all over the news. As sad and tragic as it is, it is still part of living and dying. I had rather my grandchildren see reality than hear some of the disgusting things on primetime television.

17. Not politically correct says
    8:53 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

“Thoughts” are nice, but is the writer scared of offending someone in this most horrific circumstance? Can we not assume that part of most of us immediately asks God for strength and some sort of understanding for these poor families? Maybe not. That makes me want to immediately say a different prayer.

18. Dolfan66r
    8:59 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

No comments necessary. Tragic!!!!

19. 13th. Grade
    9:08 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

My wife’s cousin lost her 3-year old daughter in this crash. Please keep all the families in your prayers.

20. Big Blue Coming at You
    9:34 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Someone explain to me why seatbelts haven’t been put on school buses yet??? Not sure what impact it would have had in this particular crash but it’s far too easy to get thrown around on a school bus.

21. WildcatKid19
    10:33 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

My prayers and thoughts go out to the families that are dealing with this tragic loss. Being a resident of this county it has hit hard. As a parent this made me remember never take a moment for granted. Please pray for these families and spend that extra minute with your family and kids and be thankful.

#20 – There are seatbelts on newer buses and this bus did have seat belts and they were in use according to the local emergency response. As you said I am not sure it would have mattered just in the way this crash looks, but a couple of the kids had to be cut from their seats so it may have helped save a couple other lives.

22. UKEngr
    10:54 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Just awful. Saw this post and I usually don’t get too emotional but this one really hit home. Prayed immediately for these families. Those innocent little ones are with their Father now, safer and happier than possible in this world. Just pray for the families, BBN. They really need it.

23. nlk
    12:37 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We here in Carrollton appreciate it.