This year’s winner: The Little Guy

When you look at the list of the last few teams left out, and the last few teams in… one thing is crystal clear:

The Winner: The Little Guy

The Loser: Power Conferences

Out of the bubble teams sweating it out this Sunday, the Selection Committee seemed to value the smaller conference schools this year as opposed to the power conference schools. That has not always been the case with the committee. The Mountain West got 5 bids, while the SEC got just 3. Take a look at the list of the teams who had their bubbles burst vs. the teams who just made the field:

Bubbles Burst:

Southern Miss

Kentucky

Tennessee

Alabama

Virginia

Iowa

Last Four In

La Salle

Boise State

Saint Mary’s

Middle Tennessee State

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

78 Comments for This year’s winner: The Little Guy

1. BGBaller
    6:52 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Hope we don’t even play in the NIT!

2. UK3K
    6:52 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Will someone ban that “Hahaha” douchebag forever? He’s a douchebag and he’s breaking the KSR threads.

3. Shoebox Johnson
    6:53 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

The MWC is the best conference in the country, according to the RPI.

4. Steve Fitts
    6:54 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

To quote Scarlet O’Hara: “Tomorrow is another day!”

5. Gavin S.
    6:55 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I hope ha ha ha guy posts soon.

6. Not haha
    6:55 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I say schedule the teams that got in above us

7. Doubting Thomas
    6:55 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

This is one of the biggest slaps at UK the NCAA has ever taken. How can the defending NC be left out of the tournament with a 22 and 11 record??? Makes no sense. The powers to be have downplayed the strength of the SEC all year. Let’s see what the tournament brings. If Florida is knocked out in the first round they are right but I don’t believe that’s going to happen. Missouri and Ole Miss just might surprise a couple of teams too.

8. Mike
    6:55 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Justice is preserved.

9. Milzy
    6:55 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

When is the NIT selection show? I’m nervous – will we get the #1 Overall Seed?

10. bil
    6:55 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I am waiting for next year when UK wins the championship again. By the way Calipari lost his bonus for not getting into the NCAA.

11. UK Fan
    6:56 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

And so it is….this team does not deserve mention in the same sentence as the NCAA tournament.

12. Lil c
    6:56 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

WHEN YOU DON’T RECRUIT GUYS WITH HEART AND GUY THAT PLAY WITH NO PASSION, AND WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE A BENCH…… THIS HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. bil
    6:56 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

There are some very good teams in the NIT. Virginia is very good.

14. SexnNursinHomes
    6:56 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

wow I know we didn’t do ourselves any favors, but the last 4 in are jokes. We couldn’t even get a play-in game? Bullshit. 2 things ruing college basketball. 1. The offensive foul call 2. small shitty ass teams getting NCAA berths.

Horse shit.

15. Mike
    6:56 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

We had no offense, we had no defense, and we had no chance!! Go Cards!!

16. The Truth
    6:57 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

The SEC was awful. We didn’t just lose to Vandy, we got destroyed. The old saying “you made your bed now lay in it” is appropriate. We didn’t deserve a spot in the tourney. Sad but true.

17. bil
    6:57 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

12 did you complain the last three years??? What happened was all the good players left early. FACT

18. BobbieNight
    6:57 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Can somebody ask Coach Crean when we are hanging that #1 seed banner at ass embly hall.

19. CHokeCal
    6:58 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Little Brother will be dancing in Lex while the Cats watch from Wildcat lodge lol!!

20. The Truth
    6:58 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

We will not, I repeat will not, come close to winning the NIT. There are many teams out there better than Vandy, better than Arkansas, as good as Tennessee, etc. You get my drift???

21. Bankerbh
    6:59 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

The only slap to occur was the $itch slap this team took all season or the @itch slap the fans tools from Cal and the players. Somehow, talking about #8 right now doesn’t satisfy the void of not getting in.

22. P
    6:59 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Big picture, this is more positive then negative. UK wasn’t going to win the tourney or make the final four this year. The worst thing that could have happened would have been to make a small run, just enough to get WCS/AP/Archie drafted. They will likely all come back and with KW/JP, give us the experienced leadership and an unreal recruiting class. We absolutely need them to be a championship team next year. I’ll take 2 out of 3 every time. Next year will be special.

23. mikeyUKfan1
    6:59 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

#8 what justice ?
    I should have known that smurky smile on Doug Gottlibes (I know I spelled it wrong) that UK wasn’t in the field of 68…

24. kyrgaines
    6:59 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

This team just never developed into the cohesive group over the course of the season. I don’t blame the freshmen for being freshmen. I don’t think it was all losing Noel either. Our backcourt and overall execution was bad even when we had Noel on the floor. Think it was just one of those years where the chemistry just wasn’t there, and some of the underclassman were not able to play above the norm for first year players. I don’t see anybody on this team getting drafted other than Nerlins, which will make for an interesting roster next year.

25. Golfer 58
    7:00 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Congrats UL – you earned number one seed! But you have been cursed – warning. And to CATS – not your year (1) more turnovers than assists (means selfish play and no guard play), and (2) TERRIBLE free throw shooting (means no shooting ability at all when not at the line). But this year’s team may be decent back ups to next year’s incoming players. Last, Matt Jones – you said last year’s that this year’s recruit would be great – WRONG,…… as usual!

26. Andy
    7:00 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I assume the Cats will decline the NIT since it’s guaranteed that Harrow, Goodwin, and Poythress won’t show up anyway.

27. rayland givens
    7:01 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

iam picking boyd crowder up and were blowing some shit up in harlan tonite

28. Mike
    7:01 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Biggest losers beside the BBN….Noel and Stein.

29. VickieD
    7:01 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

It was the new gold standard locker room. NIT is the new gold standard.

30. Why UofL
    7:01 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

why are there SO MANY Louisville fans commenting on KSR? like WHY? speaking of shit no one cares about… if Louisville wins a national championship I will kill myself.

31. UK3K
    7:01 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong, the NCAA is awful and HATES Kentucky, BUT it’s not those fault we’re not in the tourney. We’re not in the tourney because we didn’t show up against Vandy and other teams earlier in the year we should’ve beat.

32. curious
    7:01 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Curious how many other teams that got left out beat 3 teams that got in. Just curious.

33. Lil c
    7:02 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

17… I understand that all the good player left early. BUT……CAL RECRUITED 6 NEW GUYS, AND ONLY ONE WAS SKILLED AND PLAYED WITH ANY SINCE OF PRIDE AND HUSTLE AT ALL!!!!!! AGAIN….. UNTIL HE RECRUITS GUYS WITH HEART AND RECRUITS ENOUGH PLAYERS RO HAVE A SOLID BENCH, THIS WILL HAPPEN YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR!!!!!!!!! FACT

34. George
    7:02 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I hope our fans show class. We got what we earned. We’ll be back.

35. Jerry
    7:02 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m sure the fact that the Chairman of the Committee coming from a small conference school (Xavier) had nothing to do with this….really I am…..

36. Reality Check
    7:03 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

We have five high school all-americans, plus Stein. There are three or four potential NBA players. Yet, Cal could not get to the big dance. Further proof that he is a carnival barker without Wes buying him enough players.

37. rich
    7:03 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Uk didnt deserve a bid. But mark my words, this will be one of the least entertaining torneys evet

38. Ridge Runner
    7:03 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

30…some of that is true. But unfortunately I tend to think some of these comments are from UK young fans who are pissed off and posting crap as a troll. Deep…I know. Just think about it. Sad.

39. bob
    7:03 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Ally Tucker makes a mistake posting Harrow’s pic. Implies it’s Ryan’s fault. I think you should fix it.

40. shawn a.
    7:04 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

When will some of you understand we can NOT decline an NIT bid now. Thats done BEFORE the season starts, can you guys not comprehend English??????????????

41. RealCatsFan
    7:04 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

On the one hand I don’t think Uk really deserved to be in, but on the other hand, I am scratching my head at some of the teams that got in ahead of them. Anyone who wants to try to claim that UK gets any kind of favoritism AT ALL has no argument anymore. In fact, it looks to me like this is a slap at Calipari recruiting one-and-done players. Florida and UNC didn’t make it the year after they won NC’s, but on the other hand, I don’t recall either of those having 20 wins either.

42. George
    7:04 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Some kids take longer to grow up

43. Lil c
    7:04 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

” my vision is one of banquets and banner, rings and parade”. Coach Cal.

44. tubby tub
    7:04 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

you can hate me UK fans for whatever reason…but i never went to the nit while i was at UK,and i had sharey and orbzuit and not a bunch of 5 stars

45. jpcat15
    7:05 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I challenge all UK fans to boycott watching a single NCAA game this year. UK certainly did not have a great team this year but they are certainly better than the following at large schools- Illinois, Minnesota, Colorado, Missouri, Boise State, Middle Tennessee, St. Mary’s, Oklahoma, Butler and every WAX school. What a joke. I will not watch a single second. And I won’t watch the NIT either. I usually take vacation for the first weekend of the tourney, but the NCAA did such a horrible job that I will not support them this year.

46. rich
    7:05 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

36. You sir, are a moron.

47. mikesucksafatone
    7:05 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Mike, you have a lot of balls getting on a WEBSITE on the INTERNET and talking shit constantly on a BLOG. What’s your last name? Let’s see how big those balls really are.

48. Mike
    7:06 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

47) Rockwell, first name Chest.

49. Heart ache
    7:07 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Serious cal we don’t deserve this the guy that got your job at Memphis just put up a better record than u ever had there.That weak conference hid your no coaching ability just leave please.

50. mst
    7:07 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

How is this not on Cal….He is paid $3+ million a year to make this tourney, regardless of who plays, bench, or anything else. Even without Noel, we should have made the tourney, this is an embarrassment

51. Bob
    7:07 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Cal will be with these guys on draft night and declare it the best night in UK history.

52. This Fing Sucks
    7:08 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

F The NIT F This Team

53. GoForIt
    7:09 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I dont EVER want to hear it is all about the money!! They had a chance to match up UK with Memphis. So just stop it!! Never want to hear it again.

54. set4uk
    7:09 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

@41 RealCatsFan – I just said those exact words to my wife! Agree 100%

55. Lil c
    7:10 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

45….. Dude you are crazy!!!!!!! Illinois, Butler, Colorado,Missouri, Oklahoma, and Minnisota would ALL beat UK!!!!!!!! Let it go dude…. IT’S OVER!!!!!!!!

56. Korean Tacos
    7:12 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I just can’t get over this “Cal should have recruited guys with heart”/”Cal’s fault for recruiting these kids with no heart” crowd. You act like these kids had obvious red flags. Everyone in AAU looks like they hustle, cuz it’s nothing but fastbreak after fastbreak. EVERYONE RUNS. Or you seem to think no one else was recruiting these guys, cuz the “no heart” was so obvious. Cal wasn’t living with these guys for months. He wasn’t giving “do you have heart” tests out to every player he was recruiting. Go ask any high school baller if they hustle and show up for every game. I bet 100% will say yes if there’s a scholly on the line. The only one that can be really blamed on Cal is Harrow. Everyone knew that kid had issues.

57. AshleyJuddsPet
    7:12 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Thanks guys I get to go with Ashley to Madison Square Gardens instead of Atlanta!!!

58. Ed has Tickets
    7:13 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Indiana will not get past Miami, that makes me smile. Give credit where credit is due, UofL looks good this year. Folks, the cats will be back next year!

59. Ksr comments
    7:13 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

35% fair weather fans 20% trolls, 5% racist, 15% know nothing about basketball 25 % true knowledgeable fans

60. JP
    7:14 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

#55 – I seem to recall Missouri losing to UK just a couple of weeks ago…

61. mikesucksafatone
    7:15 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

48… Mike, where you from?

62. What
    7:16 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Cal you got some splaining to do

63. Atler
    7:18 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

UK didnt make it because CM Newton wasn’t on the committee.

64. JP
    7:18 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

#48 – I know you’re having fun trolling the sh*t out of us and this site tonight, but Chest Rockwell is f’n hilarious. Bravo, sir.

65. mikesucksafatone
    7:19 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

and I hope you’re joking about your name being CHEST… thats just fuggin ridiculous.

66. Mc
    7:20 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

55) I think uk would hold their own against those schools, but Minnesota, butler, Illinois, etc. deserved it. I can’t make sense out of California, st. Mary’s, lasalle, Colorado, mtsu,and Oklahoma though when comparing their schedules. Bottom line is the SEC looked bad even though teams like bama destroyed Villanova, Florida crushed Wisconsin, it doesn’t matter. Conference had some awful losses. Next year can’t get here fast enough. Once randle declares Tuesday the tides will turn

67. Mc
    7:21 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Wednesday

68. jpcat15
    7:22 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

55-I have -Illinois and Minnesota did not have winning records in their own conference- Butler lost to St Louis 3 times- look at Missouri and UK ‘s record against common opponents- u will be surprised- OU and Colorado- please!!

69. Han
    7:23 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

The hidden message: Don’t join the power conferences in super leagues that do away with the NCAA.

70. filbert
    7:26 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

#24 you hit the nail on the head. I aint even going to complain. We got what we deserved and we did not deserve to be in the tournament. Its tough being on top! This just a bump in the road. Ive been mored excited the last 3 mths about who we got coming in next year, than I had for this years team. next year #WEGONNABEDEEP!!

71. mudcreekmark
    7:36 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Cal should win coach of the year for getting 20 wins out of this bunch.

72. Commish
    7:38 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I know the little man won out this year…punishing the major conferences for there upcoming split…Middle Tenn, Lasalle, Boise State, St Mary’s over Cats, Tenn, Ala, Virginia is a freaking joke!….u can’t explain it with there previous selection criteria….who did they play who did they beat..f&$% the NCAA….why is every guy they show from the NCAA looks like a prick…KSR please put up the comparison of these 8 teams

73. dodger1
    7:44 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

if we win the nit will we be numeber 65 in the country?

74. Big Ed
    7:48 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

We can’t whine and cry. Our players knew what they had to do but didn’t get it done. Maybe this will get the point across at the expence of their school and fans. I hope they’ve learned because these will be the leaders of next years team. Nights of dreaming of the draft will not happen for this group of guys. Cal never had this teams attention and that is on him, maybe he’s not the coach we thought he was.

75. mudcreekmark
    7:49 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

73) We won’t win one game in the NIT let alone win the whole thing. Vandy won’t even be invited to the NIT so do you really think these teams are weaker than Vandy?

76. Big Ed
    7:54 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Don’t go to the NIT. Put them back in the class room. Save our tax payers money get rid of the ones that won’t respond to coaching, wait that would only leave 1, Willy

77. Big Ed
    7:56 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

UK should never have been on a bubble or close to it.

78. jpcat15
    8:04 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

If Mike Alive is not raising he’ll he should be fired. 2nd place team in SEC does not get bid? Ole Miss gets 12 seed? Meanwhile, Villanova, Cincinnati, Illinois and Minnesota get in? Illinois gets a 7 seed? Worst NCAA field of all time. I did not even mention Boise, Middle TN, St. Mary’s and LaSalle.