Kids have it so easy these days. I used to walk up hill both ways for chicken tenders at K-Lair!

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for This video of UK’s new dorms will make you sell your house and go back to college

1. Mike
    6:25 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

Chicken tenders were about the only thing I could stand to eat at K-Lair, that and the greasiest triple cheeseburger in the world.

2. bdown
    6:48 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

These dorms are going to be the gold standard!

3. soggyUKgrad
    6:55 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

These dorms are super nice, but when I was a 17-year old freshman I probably wouldn’t have fully appreciated how awesome they are.

4. DB11
    7:01 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

These are very nice for dorms and they sure beat the hell out of Blanding 2, which I lived in 3 years ago. With that said, they don’t meet the style and standard that the new external apartment communities are setting.

5. Jonah Hex
    7:47 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

As a graduate, these make me proud. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, stop using the dumba*s side by side “academic” UK. Its ridiculous, and no one likes it. Use the athletic logo and be done with it. You dont see two logos for Bama, LSU, Auburn, etc. I know that stupid admin people at UK get all upset when the athletic logo is used for anything other than sports, but come on. I remember when I was on the committee to design the class ring about 2001, and the academics went crazy when I suggested using the athletic logo.

Get rid of the two different UKs and just use the one on the football helmet (and the one used in some places in the new dorms).

6. CATSCATSCATS
    8:31 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

4) I agree, these are crazy nice but you’re still better off by living in one of the new apartment complexes off campus, probably close to the same price as well. Side note: I stayed in the absolutely wretched HAGGIN HALL that no longer exists. However, I did live on the first floor, which allowed us to easily sneak in booze 😉

7. Bunny
    8:44 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

These are light years ahead of what we had at Holmes Hall in the early 70s (which also housed the basketball team). Have to agree with #3 – doubt that today’s college kids appreciate what they’ve got..

8. bmt22033
    8:47 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

That’s a nice dorm, for sure, but I lived in a dorm for five years so I could 1) get a good education, 2) graduate and get a good job and 3) buy a nice house! No way I’d give up the single family for a dorm again! 🙂

9. joebfanclub
    8:55 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

No doubt, these are fantastic, state of the art dorms..hats off to Educ. Realty Trust, Capilouto, and the university…however, how long will they stay this way (clean) and was it really a great idea to put the stoves in the common area? I say this for the fact of the maintenance staff at UK….lived in Haggin my freshmen years and the janitors were all dopes, alcoholics, and crazy…..also those immature college freshmen who are wasted/drunk walking back from the wild wild west from a fraternity/sorority party who decide it will be fun to fry eggs at 3am in the morning….I could see them burning the stove up! Also, isn’t the key cards tied to your student id a little 1984 big brotherish (George Orwell’s book)? So basically, you will be monitored from the time you walk into the dorm……go move off campus into one of the high class gated communities off Angliana Avenue…..cheaper and much better amenities….

10. Devin
    9:49 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

That’s just a little nicer than last year at Haggin Hall With Mattresses over 4 inches thick, furniture that wasn’t made in the 70’s, designed by someone that didn’t design prisons, and working showers. Almost wants to make me transfer back.

11. JBCat
    11:12 pm August 22, 2013 Permalink

#1, ahh yes, the mighty K-lair grill! If I concentrate, I can still taste those cheeseburgers. God, I ate more of those than was actually decent. That dorm was kinda the pits, but hell, I was just glad I was out of my hometown. One of the things that always sticks out in my mind, was how the music was always so damn loud there. Somebody was always playing one of the two greatest albums of all-time,IMO: either Nevermind by Nirvana or Achtung Baby by U2

12. Cool Guy
    1:05 am August 23, 2013 Permalink

Who was dumb enough to live on campus in the last 15 years? I lived off campus and partied my ass off the entire eight years I attended.

13. Belly
    8:51 am August 23, 2013 Permalink

A little better than my 4th floor mansion at Haggin Hall.