This Photo Wants Afternoon Notes and Podcast

This photo of Tin Roof in Lexington from Monday night is amazing. Out of all the great pictures we’ve seen from that night, this one is by far my favorite. Just look at how tiny the bar looks compared to the massive crowd surrounding it. What a night.

Notes…

— The big news of the day is Calipari’s trip to the northeast for an in-home visit with Alex Oriakhi later this evening. Oriakhi committed to UConn as a freshman in high school, so this is really the first time he is going through the recruiting process and tonight will be his first time speaking with Calipari. As of now, he’s considering a long list of schools, including Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Missouri and Xavier, and he’s looking for a school in need of a big man.

— Speaking of transfers, Jeff Goodman is reporting that Derrick Gordon will transfer from Western Kentucky. MKG’s high school teammate was the team’s star as a freshman and losing him will be a huge blow to the future for the Hilltoppers.

— Murray State’s Isaiah Canaan announced today that he will return to school for his senior season. Canaan averaged 19 points, 3.6 assists and 3.5 rebounds per game last season for the Racers. His return sets Murray up for another special season, especially with the return of head coach Steve Prohm. They’ll be looking to chase an undefeated season once again.

— Dallas Mavs owner Mark Cuban wants to see the NBA stretch its requirement out to three years out of high school before a player can enter the draft. Cuban said Kentucky fans are the only ones who actually like the one-and-done concept. Read Cuban’s statements here.

— The Masters kicked off this morning and Henrik Stenson is currently in the lead at -5 through 16 holes. Tiger Woods isn’t far behind at -2 through 14 and both players are lucky Josh Teater is sitting this one out or they, along with the rest of the field, would be in trouble.

— Check out this video of the Cats returning to their hotel after winning it all:

— Don’t forget, Anthony Davis will be on Jimmy Kimmel Live! tonight.

Gregg Doyel dropped by today’s radio show to talk about the Cats and sing a little tunes from his band, The Fray.

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for This Photo Wants Afternoon Notes and Podcast

1. Ed
    3:06 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Cuban’s an idiot. I would rather have players for three years than one.

2. Matt
    3:11 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

I agree. Cuban saying that Kentucky fans are the only people who like the one-and-done mentality shows that he knows nothing about Kentucky fans.

3. BobKYCats
    3:12 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Though I agree with Mark Cuban about requiring them to stay three years, no one (especially UK fans, who have to witness high roster turnover every offseason) likes the one-and-done rule.

No. One.

4. Adam
    3:15 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Oriakhi will be a CAT. Anytime Cal comes to your house its a done deal! Cuban is an IU grad so naturally he will say something that will rub us the wrong way. We’d rather have them stay 3 years too. Canaan made the right decision to return but asking for another near-undefeated season is out of the question. (Aska, Poole, and a couple other key contributors are gone)Tiger Woods will not win. Never have I seen a more hyped player.

5. UKBlue
    3:16 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Yea Cubans a billionaire because he’s an idiot. Cuban doesn’t understand that we actually don’t want the one & done either. Mike Lupica, Larry Brown, Tony Kornheiser, and David Aldridge have all said that if the entire UK team came back, UK would win it all again next year.

Oriakhi being a big man, he apparently still needs work or he would have just gone into the NBA draft. He needs to come down to Lex & let Kenny Payne & Cal work with him.

6. Maxis
    3:18 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Man, reading the comments anymore on ESPN after any article mentions Kentucky is sickening. So much ignorant, misplaced anger and hate. But hey, when you are at the top, that’s what you have to expect.

7. bmack
    3:21 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

UConn appeal denied.

8. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    3:26 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

How funny. I just sent this video to Matt and Breisner. Well, not this video, the one I recorded. This must have been the person behind me because my arm and phone is in their video.

9. seenvic
    3:27 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

This UK fan doesn’t care for one and done. But I am going to the Masters tomorrow.

10. CA
    3:29 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Anybody but Tiger to win the Masters

11. Jesse Mullis
    3:31 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

I was the one in front of you and I recorded this video! That’s awesome haha.

12. Lucky Guy
    3:36 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

How has KSR not picked up on this yet: A Bengals cheerleader is accused of having sex with a minor while she was his teacher. The Kentucky tie; the girl is wearing a Kentucky shirt in her mug shot (at least as far as I can tell). First- this high school student slept with his hot teacher, that was also an NFL cheerleader! Second- was she a UK cheerleader or just a crazy fan?

13. crazycatfan
    3:50 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

I had lunch today with a friend. Although she is not a sports fan, knowing I am a HUGE UK FAN, she congratulated me on my team winning the National Championship. It was great … until she immediately followed it up with talk about all the bad things that happened in Lexington, which she heard on the news. I told her that was done by a very small group of people and tried tp smooth it over.

It’s really annoying to be basking in the awe of the moment and have to explain the actions of idiots that (without realizing the repercusions) put a damper on our glory.

I’M SO PROUD OF OUR TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    3:57 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

15. speech recognition
    3:59 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with helpful info to paintings on. You have performed a formidable activity and our entire group will be grateful to you.

16. what?
    4:08 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

#15…I dont recognize that speech.

17. NKY CAT
    4:41 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

12. maybe because she is ACCUSED and not proven guilty? just sayin…

18. snarkster
    4:41 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Are you kidding me? Teague, MKG and Davis for three years instead of one? Where was this rule when Wall, Bledsoe and Cousins were freshmen. CatFans say bring it on M***** F***ers! Cal has gone to the Elite 8, Final Four and then won it all with three consecutive freshmen-laden lineups. You all don’t want to see what he’ll do with a roster of Sophmores and Juniors. LOL

As it now stands, the dookies Jailbirds, Tarholes, Loosiers, etc. have the advantage. They have an advantage because most of their lineup is returning and know their systems while Cal has to start from scratch every year. An HE’s STILL KICKING THEIR SORRY WHINY ASSES. They want to put him on a more equal footing? By all means! Make it two and through. Sure, maybe he won’t get five or six of the top 20 every year, but he’ll get two or three of the top 5-10 and he’ll have them all for multiple seasons.

All those that think eliminating one and done hurts Cal and the Cats are making the mistake of their lives.

19. Al's IndiCats
    4:53 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Cuban being an IU grad and talking like his hero (Knight), what a dumbass. He hates it because he knows the CATS are going to own college basketball unless they change the rules. Screw him and the .Com business that made him so F-ing smart. He’s been sucking wind so long as a NBA owner with the exception of them winning it all, His team should be known as the Dallas Hovers!

20. AD23FReAK
    5:09 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Nice video! I am a huge Cat fan BUT the C-A-T-S cats cats cats chant is very annoying to me. Seems like I always see the biggest douchebags doing that chant. Lets think of something that’s a little more “bad ass”.

21. I slept with you mom
    5:15 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Mark Cuban is an Indiana fan and we all know what’s its like trying to explain ourselfs to such low life creatures of stupidity

22. dom
    5:40 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Whoa! what a celebration

23. Jorts' Tightie Whities
    5:52 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Dear Mark Cuban,
    No, us Kentucky fans do not want to have Anthony Davis or MKG for two or three years. Why you would you want to keep those kids for any longer than a year? I just don’t understand it.
    Sincerely,
    Jorts’ Tightie Whities

24. Dane Brammage
    6:08 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Mark Cuban is a sour grapes Eye You fan.

It is not that KENTUCKY fans like one-and-dones.

It is that we have utilized the NBA’s rule.

He can drain my 3rd leg on his way to hell; bastard.

25. Squall
    6:20 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Why is the podcast not available on the iPhone App today?

26. Sid Bream's Leg
    6:28 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

When did we ever say or even suggest that we liked the one and done rule? We all want Davis, MKG, Jones, Teague, and Lamb to stay. We also wanted Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, and Knight to stay, too. Cuban is just falling for the BS from hater media without actually taking the time to know what and who he is talking about. I hope he doesn’t draft any Kentucky players.

27. RealBBNFan
    10:24 pm April 5, 2012 Permalink

Did anybody notice Davis leading the “one more year” chant???????

28. Katbluefan
    12:05 am April 6, 2012 Permalink

I used to have a lot of respect for Cuban but after that statement my thoughts have changed a lot. He must not know much about Coach Cal and KY basketball or he wouldn’t have made those statements.

29. strings1127
    1:11 am April 6, 2012 Permalink

Hell I thought Cuban was a smart man . Wow what a dumb ass, he knows nothing about KY fans.