Ashely Lowery is awake, moving arms and legs and answering questions correctly

Big Blue Nation has been keeping up with the progress of Junior Kentucky football player Ashely Lowery following yesterday’s car accident. Kyle Tucker of the Courier-Journal provided a positive update just a few moments ago. Tucker spoke with a family friend, Doug Stutsman, who said that the breathing tube has been taken out and that Lowery is awake and recognizes his relatives. Lowery is also answering questions correctly, moving his arms and legs, etc. The news is incredible considering the potential for even more serious injuries from the bad accident. The picture of Lowery’s car from Kyle Tucker is absolutely haunting…

The doctors said they believe that not wearing a seatbelt/getting ejected actually saved Lowery’s life.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

15 Comments for Ashely Lowery is awake, moving arms and legs and answering questions correctly

1. Seat Belt
    11:02 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

Use me because those Dr’s are Dr.’s and not fortune tellers.

2. ukfaninohio
    11:04 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

So the safety was playing it safe after all..

3. hendoblue
    11:55 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

Prayers going out to the young man. When a car ends up looking like that, people usually don’t survive.

4. NL
    11:58 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

It is weird how bad choices at the time can end up being the right choice. Thank goodness he seems to be progressing nicely. We are all praying for a speedy recovery

5. CAUKFAN
    11:59 am May 5, 2013 Permalink

I knew someone who hit a tree carrying a load of bricks in a pickup truck. The bricks pushed the steering wheel through his seat. The reason he wasn’t in between is because he wasn’t wearing his seat belt and feel over across the seat. His legs were mangled but he lived.

6. Click It Or Ticket
    1:01 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

Goodness…after praying for him, one of my thoughts yesterday was “why on earth was he not wearing his seat belt?” Yet when I saw this pic of the vehicle (is that was this is? looks like a crumbled up piece of twisted metal and jagged shards of glass to me), my very first thought was “My God. If he HAD worn his seat belt and had NOT been ejected, he would be a dead man.” As someone who buckles up out of habit each and every time he drives, well…man…what to do? I suppose the “odds” are still in your favor to wear the seat belts, but…still…very scary and thought-provoking. Can I print out this pic and show it to the cops when they pull me over and write me a ticket for NOT wearing my seat belt? I am serious.

7. jpgott2
    1:01 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

Hope this young man makes a full recovery… Accidents like these usually change someone’s life for the better (mentally). People do not take life for granted after experiencing events like this.

8. The Commonwealth
    1:02 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

God Bless Ashley….Hurry home to the BBN

9. The Commonwealth
    1:14 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

Still shocked that small parts of us (namely me) can not spell Ashely’s name correctly.

10. RealCatsFan
    1:52 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

I am glad that he is apparently going to be OK, but I hate the fact that anyone was dumb enough to say that lack of wearing a seat belt may have saved his life. Let’s just rephrase it to say that total and complete dumb luck may have saved his life, or perhaps landing on soft, rain-soaked earth rather than hard pavement may have saved his life, or the fact the the car didn’t roll over top of him while he was ejected (this time) may have saved his life. The simple fact is that 99% of the time, wearing that seatbelt will allow you to come out in much better shape after a serious accident. I have friends and family that are police officers, firemen, and medical personnel who have worked in trauma centers, and each and every one of them will tell you that only a fool would drive a car without a seatbelt on. Facts are facts – you have a MUCH better chance to survive with one on than without one. Stuff like this just perpetuates the ignorance.

11. chardun
    2:17 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

Get well soon Ashely, God Bless.

12. rj
    2:43 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

I guess if ashely name was kevin ware, the press would have made a bigger deal of it.

13. The Two- Headed Dog Boy
    6:15 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

Thank God Ashley is doing better…maybe Kristin Geil can make her tacky joke again about the “safety not playing it safe”…but it looks like wearing a sealt-belt may have helped save his life. Get well soon Ashley.

14. This Is It...
    7:42 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

12rj…I’m glad someone besides me brought this up besides me even though I was thinking it…THIS was life and death , not just a broken leg…Where ru Louseyville and national media folk…

15. Brandon
    10:00 pm May 5, 2013 Permalink

The only reason everyone talked about the Ware injury so much is because it occurred in a regional final on national television with millions of people watching, and was replayed several times in slow motion. Plenty of similar injuries have occurred and gone unnoticed.