This is the best thing you’ll see today

A big thanks to all of you out there protecting our country. You make me proud to be an American.

27 Comments for This is the best thing you’ll see today

1. Nathan
    7:40 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

My vote still goes to watching Joey Chestnut break his own record. What an athlete, and true American hero.

2. bigbluegdud
    7:41 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

My allergies are bothering me.

3. Jen
    7:47 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

I wish all of these people the best. The longer we keep repeating or believing simplistic lies about them protecting our country, though, the more people like them will be blown up or blowing up others for no good reason.

4. Becky Dootle
    7:48 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

This beats the hell out of Kyle Wiltjers videos.

5. Sad
    7:52 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

3. I can respect a difference in opinion. But you’re a really bad person for disrespecting people who set out to do a noble deed. I doubt you’ve even considered sacrificing for anyone else. If you just posted that to get a rise out of good people, you’re still a bad person.

6. KSR1080Fan
    7:52 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

I thank them all for “serving in harm’s way”.

7. katmancsm
    7:55 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

#3, Jen you can suck it! I bet your protected little life would never be the same except for what brave souls have done for you. You wouldn’t serve because you are a whiny little worm curling up in a corner saying “HELP ME”!!!

8. juice
    7:57 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for posting. A good cry never hurt anyone. Proud to be an American!

9. Bradley
    8:00 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

6. Jen said nothing bad about “these people”. She spoke the truth. I have nothing but respect for our soldiers. Our crooked government putting their lives at risk for their own gain is beyond pathetic though. Maybe when Obama is out of office we can celebrate a new Independence Day. We are no longer free. Don’t kid yourselves.

10. Jen
    8:12 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

5. You can respect a difference of opinion, but then you call me a bad person for stating mine–besides the fact that I said not one word of ill will towards the people in the video, *whom I respect*. You know what? Given your caliber of thinking, I’m not particularly concerned with what you think about foreign policy or me. You can keep believing lies about the necessity of putting good people in harm’s way, or “defending our freedom,” but you are part of the problem.

7. I can suck it? Thank you and the brave souls who’ve bombed and shot the world up all so I can have the freedom to suck it.

11. TrailerTrash
    8:14 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

9/ Whatever, dude. I’m sure you are the voice of reason we’ve been searching for since Bush started the war(s). However, your tin-foil brainwave blocker is blinding me.

12. B-man
    8:24 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m bawlin’ like a baby right now. I’m amazed at those who can’t set their political views aside for one moment and just be happy to see families reunited.

13. Han
    8:41 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

ESPN’s been running this all day and someone posted it at RR yesterday or the day before calling it the greatest video ever.

You can also find dozens, if not hundreds, of these on Youtube. My favorites are the dogs greeting soldiers who’ve been gone for a while.

14. Big Blue B-Rad
    9:21 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

I could not watch this without tearing up.

15. UKFanInWV
    9:25 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

As a service member that spent over 21 years in our Armed Forces, I can tell you there’s nothing better than “coming home” and I never saw any combat. So for the ones that do, it’s even more special. My heart goes out to them, especially the children. The service member’s families sacrifice a lot and it’s even harder on them because they don’t know what’s happening. I salute their sacrifice as well.

If this video doesn’t bring a tear to your eye, then you must NEVER cry.

16. Gavin S.
    9:29 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

That kid @ 6:07 just bursting into tears when he saw his dad, wow. No matter what you feel about our political agendas that has to melt your heart.

17. Jb
    9:33 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

AWESOME

18. cat_fan_inVille
    9:52 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

My eyes are, er, ah, sweating after seeing that video.. Yea that’s it – gotta be sweating…..
    GBB

19. Sam
    9:55 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

3 and 9 are correct.

Someone once said, “If tyranny ever comes to our country, it will come draped in a flag.”

Another patriot said, “A patriot defends his country from his government.”

We must always be careful to pledge allegiance to our constitutional republic and not support unconstitutional wars of aggression. May God bless our troops in as much as they remember their oaths.

20. SeoulCat
    10:08 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

What are they protecting? Americans’ freedoms? You mean to say that they are at war with the federal government? The only way these soldiers could be protecting our freedoms would be if they were to gather up their guns and launch an assault on the CIA, NSA, and Washington at large since the federal government has done more in the last decade to harm the civil liberties of Americans than any and all foreign powers combined have done in the last two centuries.

Oh, you mean the phantom of terrorism? That irrational fear that presents less of a threat to you than the common cold? That only exists in the first place–although not nearly as present and prevalent as the government and media would have you believe–because of America’s foreign policy and aggressive actions in the back yards of others? The presence of American soldiers on foreign soil does not protect America from terrorism; the presence of American soldiers on foreign soil only serves to create terrorists.

Wake up people.

21. Disabled Amercan Vet
    10:26 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

As someone who served for nine years in the US Army, I am so thankful that you posted this video. Leaving your family to deploy to a hostile zone is heartbreaking. But coming home to them is priceless.

22. Travis in Indy
    11:21 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m away from my wife and daughter right now after relocating for my new job. My face just turned into a geyser. Happy forth. (and all you political nerds need to grow a heart)

23. skullanbonesdiss
    11:30 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

A truly patriotic video that should have you really emotional!

24. Fancy feast
    7:32 am July 5, 2013 Permalink

Jen, you nailed it with #10. Real talk.

25. Fancy feast
    7:35 am July 5, 2013 Permalink

Coming home is priceless… Unless you were a Vietnam combat veteran. It’s amazing how times have changed and how credulous our populace has become.

26. Megan
    12:47 pm July 5, 2013 Permalink

Just to be clear, Independence Day is not a military holiday. Just sayin’, because it seems a lot of people are confused about that. I blame President Bill Pullman: “We will not go quietly into the night!”

It may be just a coincidence that Tyler posted this great video today. But Independence Day is not like Memorial Day and Veterans Day, in which we honor those who gave their lives in battle, in which we commemorate the end of WWI, or in which we honor all veterans, especially surviving veterans of war. No, the Fourth of July celebrates a courageous political act, our declaration of independence. There is a difference, one worth remembering.