This is Pitino’s worst nightmare

(Rick?)

Initially I was sure that Louisville coach Rick Pitino would relish the opportunity to play his former employer for a chance to go the National Title game. There are so many reasons why he should. First, no matter what he says publicly, he hates John Calipari with a passion. And why shouldn’t he? If Calipari wins his first title on Monday night, he would, in fact, be just as a successful as Pitino in Pitino’s former position. If it were a talk show, Calipari would be sleeping with Pitino’s ex-wife. It’s a Jerry Springer segiment sans the sex (in Cal’s case), without all the “Oh no you didn’t’s”, with the addition of a couple of All-Americans. This would be a chance for Pitino to take down Calipari in the most important place in Calipari’s professional career which even surpasses the fact that Calipari is now coaching for the University of Kentucky. Secondly, its a chance to get Louisville back in the forefront of college basketball. It’s no secret Pitino struggles to recruit in today’s college basketball world. What better way to get back in competition for five-star high school basketball players than to take down the guy who gets them all? Lastly, if you somehow take down Kentucky, everything that you have done wrong in Louisville would be instantly forgiven. No one would even care who Karen Sypher is anymore, let alone read her Guilty Until Proven Innocent “biography.” There are just too many incentives, including the fact that a national title is at stake.

A quote from Pitino in today’s press conference tells me that this is not only his worst nightmare, but I don’t think he thinks his team has a chance to win tomorrow night.

When asked about the rivalry and the game against Kentucky he says, “if we can’t bring it back, I hope they do.”

Really, Rick? Louisville fans should just quit while you are ahead in the trash-talking department, because this is the definition of “loser talk.”

It is not Pitino’s fault that an overachieving Louisville team ran into its biggest rival in the Final Four. Its certainly not his fault that the rival happens to be the best team in the nation this year. But it is Pitino’s fault that he doesn’t show confidence in his team to the media and their fans.

Good luck, Louisville. You are gonna need it.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

40 Comments for This is Pitino’s worst nightmare

1. BobKYCats
    5:04 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Well, to be honest, with the way his inferior team is talking trash, it’s pretty much left to him to start bringing Louisville back to Earth in time for their upcoming butt-whooping.

2. Ridge Runner
    5:05 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Typically, we (UK) & Cal over shadows Pitino every day. He just happened to make it to the Final Four where each team gets some ink and press…then, was unlucky enough to draw us in that Final Four which gives him even more opportunity to talk.

Again, the stars lined up in order for a microphone and interviews to be granted…tomorrow, he and loserville get a taste of what they are more accustomed to…..non-existance.

All will return to normal around 9pm Saturday.

3. playersfan
    5:06 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Recently Pitino stated to the press that UK was the best team in America, he can’t change his tune in 4 weeks. However, that statement is hard to coach against.

4. The Great #8
    5:10 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Just got back to my hotel from the open gym. Place is truly incredible. Can’t wait for the game.

Side note: I know he said he was 100%, but Anthony Davis’ practice could be described as ‘timid’ and ‘gingerly’. Hopefully he is just trying to be extra cautious and not mess the knee up before the game. I’m sure he’ll be fine with the adrenaline pumping.

5. Ridge Runner
    5:10 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

In somewhat another example of non-existance is whats taking place at UConn.

Last year at this time, Kemba was everywhere and ole man Calhoun was smiling. What a difference a year makes.

Kemba left, infractions abound, transfers being filed, bans from tourneys including their own, etc… Now, Davis is the talk of the town and barely anyone mentions Kemba as they certainly don’t mention UConn. As ESPN headlines say…It’s Kentucky’s world & everyone else just lives in it.

6. hooch
    5:10 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Pitino’s statement doesn’t seem like loser talk to me. Seems like you’re making something out of nothing.

7. QuickyRicky
    5:13 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Dude, Rick just played the race card in his presser

8. Real Cats Fan
    5:13 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

On another note, Rust Lintball stated that John Calipari is the coach of the Louisville Cardinals. What a clueless buffoon!

9. Real Cats Fan
    5:14 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

#4, I sure hope there is not anything that is being hidden from the fans and the opposition!

10. Tony Montana
    5:15 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Another poorly written piece

11. Anthony Davis Armpit
    5:18 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Quite frankly, all this “UL has no chance” talk has gotten me worried. Bad karma may come around and bite us.

12. Rob
    5:23 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Wow, I actually read this. It’s not loser talk. He’s trying to be gracious. Are you like ten years old or something?

13. barn
    5:28 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

have there been any boob nite sightings this week? the douchebag has been mysteriously absent lately

14. Ican'twait!
    5:31 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Agreed #12!

15. CatFanInLou
    5:31 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Pitino’s comment showed class and I appreciate it. We should reciprocate. If the Cards somehow beat UK, then I certainly hope they bring home the hardware. Better to have the trophy in the state than out of state.

16. My Old Ky Home
    5:32 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Sounded like typical gracious talk to me. But UL is still going to loose.

17. The Great #8
    5:33 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

9. I may be overreacting, as I have not seen any mention of it on twitter from media members. That was just my two cents. The fact that the knee was unprotected gives me a little more confidence.

18. Kaboom
    5:34 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I think this is spot on! Great post but shouldve been on here 5 days ago..

19. Its Miller Time
    5:37 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

ESPN’s writers need to stop I’m even starting to get annoyed at how much they are building this game up, and then how they all say were going to cruise past louisville.

20. nc cat
    5:39 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Pffft! Pitino is is just covering his azz…………get over the *gracious* talk…he absolutely does not mean that! He wants this so bad he can smell it!…and if he can’t have the NC, he certainly does not want Calipari to own it! It’s all politics and PR for all the UK fans!

21. CM34
    5:39 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Bottom of the barrel writing. This just reflects poorly on the rest of us UK fans. Show some class. “Loser talk”, indeed – pathetic.
    Go Cats.

22. Big Blue 66
    5:41 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey, Rick is playing the “we are just happy to be here” so when UK trashes them, then he can save face.

23. Hugh Jass Game
    5:43 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

The KSR-Franklin brothers are growing annoying. We’re in the Final Four and have only lost two friggin games. That speaks for itself, no need to immaturely skew Pitino’s gracious quote just so you can keep eeking by in life with a part time blogging job. In the miraculous event that Louisville actually pulls off the upset, You two will go Into hiding for 3 months. Cowards talk sh*t when they are heavily favored to win.. As my coach once told me, ‘act like you’ve f***in been there before, son.’

Stop making the greatest fan base in the world look so bad.

24. Sammydog
    5:44 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, I didn’t think it sounded like loser talk either. He is just being politically correct. I also think he may be trying to mend some fences with UK and its fan base. He is in the limelight again and all the stories about him and his time at UK, what he did for the program etc. are revived in everyone’s minds. The time could be right for fans to soften a little, particularly if UK wins. In reality, UK and Pitino are closely joined in the history of UK basketball and on Coach P’s resume. His time at UK is the highlight of his career. I do believe there will be a time in the future when Coach P has left Louisville that he will enter Rupp Arena to applause and appreciation for the banners he hung during his tenure.

25. bigblue
    5:48 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I love Rick, just as most of the posters including the owner of this site did when Rick breathed life into our program. I being older respect what Rick did for us. I guess all you younger kids have only seen recent stuff. Well do your homework, myself just as alot of the others here would have never wanted Cal we knew what he was about.

Oh we are turning a blind eye too Rick, what ever at any point before C.al we would have been tickled too death had Rick returned. Well I appreciate Rick. GO CATs. So I don’t think this article is truthful about Rick but for Cal it is.

26. nassau65
    6:09 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Rick also said he didn’t know Cal’s wife’s name in a previous interview.
    BS

27. Bro
    6:15 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

You all have alot of hate.

28. crazycatfan
    6:20 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I think Rick’s comment was good for the Commonwealth. We are rivals, but one team will lose and one will win. Wouldn’t it look better to have lost to the the National Champion?

29. Tim
    6:23 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I thought it was cool of him to say. I love how you try to make a mountain out of a molehill with this comment.

30. Go C8S
    6:23 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

why not just put up pics of cheerleaders or bourbon st rather than this??? seriously?
    pitino’s “worst nightmare” also basically ensured his job until he retires…
    what are you talking about?

31. Al's IndiCats
    6:30 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I too appreciate everything Pitino did for our progran at it’s darkest day, but that’s where it stops. He eventually lied to everyone within ear shot and who would listen (fans, the University, recruits and media) that he wasn’t going anywhere. 5 weeks later he left Lexington quicker that his affair did. He told and told all his players do not believe what you hear, read, or see on TV, and yet he did not heed his own advice for he thought he was best in all avenues of basketball.

Ego is a fragile thing, especially when your head is too large to fit into a double door. My guess the Boston Celtics deflated it for him.

I didn’t hear him use the race card on ESPN but I have read it more times than I care to. If it IS true he did, if he did say that, then as he said when he took the job at UL, if you don’t like me now because I took the UL job then you never was a friend of mine. Well Coach Pitino if you said that, then that door has just swung both ways!

32. bigblue
    6:57 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

@31 Go check the statemnets out yourself. Don’t go by what is written on here. theres an agenda. Also look how memphis felt when Cal left them. Rick didn’t leave us with problems. Just saying!

33. UnionMike
    7:08 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

These articles are just head games and you guys are giving me a headache trying to disect every sentence and comment the coaches are saying. Saturday night cannot get here quick enough. Just enjoy the weekend !!

34. Galtoid
    7:21 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Correction: His worst nightmare is what happened March 23 at the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. She’s baaaaack!

35. Bulldawg
    8:53 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

AWFUL POST!!! I agree with 6,10,12,14,15,21,22,23,24,28,29, and 30. A lot of stuff out there to write about Rick that will make him look bad. When you take one of his few classy statements and try to slant it, it just makes you look bad. Better luck next time rashawn…

36. gcat4496
    9:07 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Pitino did great things for the Cats in the 90s. But he left when he should have stayed. By now he would have won 3 or more titles and he probably would have more wins than Coach K. But he left and did the unthinkable for taking the Cards job. It is his right to do so, but we don’t have to cheer for him either. If he upsets the Cats, he will be the most unpopular coach in the state of Kentucky. 90% of this state bleeds blue and it always will. UL will always play second fiddle to UK BB and it won’t matter how many titles or what Pitino does at UL. From Ashland to Paducah, and from Pikeville to Hopkinsville this state bleeds blue. Frrom Lexington to Covington and even to Louisville, this state bleeds blue. So Mr. Breashear, don’t be polite. Wear blue & not red tomorrow.

37. jvkinger
    9:48 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

if god forbid anything crazy happen and UL win i would rather keep it in state than OSU or KU

38. Just wondering
    10:31 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

#36 Why should have Pitino stayed.And 31 what did you expect him to say.Yea I’m waiting on the Celtics job to come open so I can leave.The Celtics hadn’t even contacted him yet when the question had been asked.You know that way if Boston went a different way he would have lost his recruits.Pitino isn’t from Kentucky .He left for his dream job 80 million part ownership not because he didn’t like UK.People like you are why the rest of the country hates on us.This program is a way of life to fans like us but you have to look at things in reality too.The players and coaches treat this like a job as they should their not fans like us.

39. [email protected]
    2:30 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

I am confident in this team, perhaps more confident than Ive ever been in a UK team (despite picking them in my bracket every single year since I was 7). But all of these posts from KSR and the media saying that Louisville doesn’t stand a chance and that theres no way UK loses this game scares the crap out of me. Im confident but Ive seen UK have the worse luck in the tourney over the years. It always seems that in cases like this when one team is crowned before the game is played… that disaster happens and the bad kind of headlines are made. I wish the KSR crew would stop trying to jinx us. It is one thing to be confident in our team, but all Im saying is crowning them champs before we even get to the actual game itself is making me a nervous wreck. I hope the Cats talent prevails in the end… Hell I hope its a blowout. I hate louisville but I respect any opponent thats made it to the final four and until i see the Cats cutting down the nets, Ill refrain from crowning them. There is a difference between being confident and being arrogant… Please KSR, stop being arrogant. Coach Cal says so. Go Cats!!!

40. Tampa Satchel
    10:44 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

That “State Street Girl” video has been removed from Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD5aIv5NjcU&feature=player_embedded), but if you have an account with an active video, then you can “reactivate” that video. Instructions on how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY0Po1ExFTo.

If you care to give ti a try, let us know.