This is for the fans

It’s a testament to our program and who we are as fans that on the biggest day in the recent history of our program the first stories posted by local writers this morning were about a former equipment manager. It’s the little details that separate us from all other fanbases in the nation. For all the storylines about Coach Cal and the fantastic freshmen, this game is really for the fans. We are the blue lifeblood flowing through the veins of the most prestigious and decorated program in the history of college basketball.

Within the state lines of this great Commonwealth is contained a fervent energy constantly teeming, constantly ready to rise up and mobilize. From Paducah to Pikeville you’ll encounter people all across the spectrum who eat, drink and breathe Kentucky basketball. Everyone has a favorite player, a favorite moment that defines their fandom. In 2005, we experienced simultaneously the highest of highs when Patrick Sparks hit that shot at the buzzer against Michigan State and the lowest of lows when we eventually lost in overtime. Consider that. As tears fell down your face at the sound of the final horn, someone you’ve never met in a county you’ve never been to was experiencing the exact same heartbreak.

We are connected by a unique bond that perfectly melds passion for the team and passion for the place we all call our home. They are one in the same because Kentucky basketball is what we were raised on. Even outside of the Bluegrass State, nothing lifts my spirits more than seeing a stranger proudly sporting the UK logo because at that point they are no longer a stranger. They are my brother or my sister. They are someone with whom I can relate with at my highest points and my lowest points.

Before this game tips off in a couple hours, I want you to take some time to look at yourself in the mirror. I want you to know why this game is important and who those guys are playing for. Players, coaches and seasons come and go but there’s one constant in this program and that’s you, the ever faithful fan. So band together with your brothers and sisters today and raise your voices high. This won’t just be a victory for the school we were raised loving, it’ll be a victory for the place we’ve always called home.

Go Cats.

Article written by Matthew Hays

23 Comments for This is for the fans

1. kentuckyjeff
    4:10 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

first or second..anyway Go Cats Cats cats !!!!!!! less than 2 hours from destroying the Cards.

2. Carlos the Boozer
    4:10 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

Go CATS!!! Beat them damn dirty birds!

3. Davey, Davey, Shelton
    4:17 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

I don’t see how Calipari can return to the Commonwealth if he loses? I predict he will announce his resignation at 8:15 PM EST.

4. Big Blue 66
    4:18 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

3. we wont have to find that out lol Cats crush the cardinals will be the headline, this is going to be the most anticlimatic game ever in the history of the final four

5. Stan
    4:19 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

I love our Cats and our Fans. #1 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. depoytown
    4:21 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

1/If we get a big lead Cal won’t call off the dogs but will run it up

2/If we lose it will be our most bitter loss ever

7. Davey, Davey, Shelton
    4:31 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

I am a I UK graduate, a past president of the Nat’l Alumni Assn. and currently sit on its board pf directors, but I think UK represents everything that is wrong with this country. We are the privileged 1% waging a war against the downtrodden 99%. I am convinced social justice will prevail and that Louisville the school of the people will win

8. swflakat
    4:32 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

I am wearing a UK t-shirt today where I live in Fort Myers,Fl. Walking into grocery store today, husband and wife leaving say “just two more games!” and a guy in Sam’s Club tells me I’m wearing the right shirt. Big Blue Mist is everywhere and we acknowledge each other! 🙂

9. UKFan4Life
    4:40 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

That was the greatest post ever!

Gooooooo C-A-T-S cats cats cats!

10. NostraDanis
    4:42 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

wonderful post.

11. QuickyRicky
    4:43 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

@7. Go screw yourself. You need to go pick up your tent from the occupy wall street movement. Screw you and your 99%.

12. Linda Taylor
    4:49 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

Davey, Davey you are the one who needs to resign if you feel that way ab out UK, if indeed you are telling the truth. If you knew anything about UK fans you would know we will welcome Cal and our team back with open arms no matter the outcome of today’s game. Go troll elsewhere.

13. Devin the Dude
    4:51 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

Great post….a little tear started to build up!! Lets do this!!

14. UK's Freshmen
    4:56 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

UNLV > Cats. History repeats.

15. strings1127
    5:03 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

Living in South Florida wearing my UK Blue proudly ,retired and Burnig up the nets at YMCA. Life is good.

16. strings1127
    5:05 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

Hey # 8 I live in Englewood go BIG BLUE.

17. Blue as "the Voice"
    5:08 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

Events like these make me long for The Voice of Kentucky Basketball. Humility uncompromised by his passion. Undeniable support tempered only by truth. Integrity beyond emotion. Cawood was created for games like this and I miss him.

18. Stan
    5:09 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

#7, you are a complete fool, go back to the loserville boards you idiot.This is about our cats, the best team in the country and THE BEST FANS IN THE WORLD.

19. OmahaCatsFan
    5:24 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

Im born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska. Best post I’ve ever read on here!!! BBNwide!!!

20. kentuckyjeff
    5:45 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

cats are gonna win cause you stink. I say that holding my nose in a mocking annoying voice…serious note kentucky will prevail 81-66

21. CPACAT
    5:49 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

Just had one of those discussions you just mentioned with complete “strangers” at Disney World. One Big Blue Nation wherever we are! GO CATS!!

22. Mike Gillespie
    8:42 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

As a Kentuckian on a missionary journey in Northwest Indiana, I can say “Amen” to these comments. Believe it or not, there are more of “us” up here than I would have thought! Blue blood flows world-wide!

23. The Choir
    9:10 pm March 31, 2012 Permalink

Amen. Preach on! Coach Cal is the Pope of CATholicism, Lexington is our Rome, and Rupp Arena is our Vatican! Now Cal needs to get his ring for the NCAA to kiss!