We are just 34 and a half days away from the kickoff of Mark Stoop’s tenure as Kentucky football coach as the Cats take on the WKU Hilltoppers in Nashville. Stoops has been the head coach for eight months now, and he has already accomplished some pretty heavy duty tasks in a short time without even stepping out on to the field. Most notably, Stoops and Co. have been trailblazing on the recruiting trail, already locking up 21 commits for the 2014 season and amping up the quality of players ten fold from what they have been in the past. Stoops is making Kentucky football an “it thing”, a popular school for high school recruits, and this is a complete 180 from this time last year when most fans were dreading the start of the football season to see just how bad the Wildcats were going to play.
Every time I look Rivals.com football rankings for 2014, it still baffles me to see the UK logo lingering among top 10. Currently, the Cats are ranked 4th only behind Tennessee, Florida State, and Miami. The rankings will still continue to change as National Signing Day is still a ways away, but if commitments hold, Kentucky should find themselves around the top 10/15 when things are all said and done. I don’t know about you, but this isn’t really something I’m used to seeing, or could even predict, at least so quickly. This got me thinking…what are some other things I was prepared to see before Kentucky notching a top 10 recruiting class…?
1) Billy Gillispie comes back as UK men’s basketball coach and leads Cats to National Championship
2) Rupp Arena is named “Kentucky Sports Radio Rupp Arena”
3) Bobby Knight says the word “Kentucky”
4) Ashley Judd becomes new president of UK
5) Rich Brooks talks about something other than his golf game on Twitter
Shot 80 today and won 4 up with 3 to go. Advance in the grand senior division of the ECC tourney.
– Rich Brooks (@UKcoachbrooks) July 23, 2013
6) Kentucky becomes an Adidas school
7) John Calipari goes on a diet and boycotts Orange Leaf
8) Matthew Mitchell appears on “Dancing With the Stars”
9) Commonwealth Stadium is turned into a dome
1o) Darius Miller returns from the NBA to replace Barnhart as new Athletic Director
11) The field at Commonwealth Stadium is painted blue
12) Tom Crean takes Indiana past the Sweet 16…wait, no that’ll never happen
13) The “Dancing Man” at Rupp Arena is hired as the full time UK Dance Team coach
14) Eli Capilouto makes UK a “wet” campus
15) Kentucky students riot on state street after Cats win the NCAA Bass Fishing Championship…next up: cock fighting