Things Just Keep Getting Worse For OSU

Any Ohio State apologists out there?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Yeah, didn’t think so.  Looks like things may be getting even worse for the Buckeyes football program after two former players have come out in the past week to affirm the sketchyness we’ve been hearing about.

First is fellow blogger Mark Titus.  Mark was a walk-on for the OSU basketball team, and used the spare time on the end of the bench to create a fairly successful blog based on his experiences.  He also brought us rainmaker.  Mark essentially writes that he has no facts that would damn the football program, but he saw a lot of sketchy stuff go down on that side of campus.

In his own words:

And in crossing paths with them so frequently, I can offer this analysis: While I don’t really know anything about the whole tattoo ordeal, I’m almost certain that there was something shady going on with the car dealer.  In fact, as the news of the free tattoos and sold merchandise or whatever came out, I kept telling my family how funny it was that they were getting busted for tattoos and gold pants when I was pretty sure they had been getting serious discounts on cars for years. Again, I have no “inside information” and really only know what the general public knows.  But it doesn’t exactly take top notch detective skills to figure this one out.  Anyone who spent any time on Ohio State’s campus while I was there could tell you that there were an unusually high volume of brand new Dodge Chargers driving around on campus, and just about all of them had tinted windows and rims on the outside with Ohio State football players behind the wheel on the inside.

You can read his full entry here. While Titus hedges away from accusing anyone of anything (continually repeating that he doesn’t really know anything for sure,) it makes for an interesting read to hear the perspective of someone close to the program.

But maybe Mark is just a jealous basketball walk on, disappointed that his team never got the adoration for losing in championship games to SEC schools like the football team did.  Fair enough, though I don’t really think that’s the case, lucky for us there is a former football player who wants to join in the fun.

Former Ohio State football player Ray Small came clean to The Lantern – the OSU student paper – all about selling memorabilia and the feeling of invincibility around the program.

In his own words:

Small told The Lantern on Wednesday he profited off of memorabilia while at Ohio State, adding that some student-athletes “don’t even think about (NCAA) rules.”

“I had sold my things but it was just for the money,” Small said. “At that time in college, you’re kind of struggling.”

Small, who played receiver at OSU from 2006-2010, capitalized on the Buckeyes’ success during his college career.

“We had four Big Ten rings,” he said. “There was enough to go around.”

Or you can read the full article here.

There’s no way Tressel survives this, is there?

Article written by Will Lentz

13 Comments for Things Just Keep Getting Worse For OSU

1. tdogg4033011
    9:27 pm May 26, 2011 Permalink

and what will the NCAA do??? not a damn thang …..

2. fatcar
    9:37 pm May 26, 2011 Permalink

… funny thing about the dodge chargers, ive seen plenty of uk football players driving brand new cars around

3. Al's IndiCats
    9:41 pm May 26, 2011 Permalink

1) bet the freakin house NADA will come of it. OSU has been dirty since that ass Bob Knight’s been there, who by the way publicly said that Tressel does things the “RIGHT” way…….yeah right! C’mon Emmert, who else is going to hafta sit out five games next season?

4. Old Henry Man
    9:47 pm May 26, 2011 Permalink

#2, We are not getting our money’s worth, then

5. tdogg4033011
    9:47 pm May 26, 2011 Permalink

I’m tired of hearing about OSU, the NCAA cost os banner #8 because Enes got screwed.

6. tim
    10:27 pm May 26, 2011 Permalink

I think the whole system sucks. Southpark said it best last night.

7. bigbill992001
    10:39 pm May 26, 2011 Permalink

In all fairness, Will, you should have pointed out that not only did Titus not know anything for certain but that Ray Small had been suspended several times at OSU by Tressel and rarely made it out of Tressel’s doghouse. This has been out there for going on a yr. and Small just now comes out? Two ‘sources’ that had axes to grind. That said, OSU will get what it deserves. I think you could look around ANY major program, football or basketball, and see shiny new vehicles.

We’ve been there so often, I guess it’s just normal that some will jump for joy to see any other school tied to the whipping post for a while, huh?

8. flemingcountycat
    10:57 pm May 26, 2011 Permalink

if they weren’t so pompous, and didn’t carry an air of entitlement, i wouldn’t care. But this is like watching a car wreck. I say the longer it goes on, the worse it gets for OSU. The former players talking because its gone on for so long it has became mundane, almost normal, The Ohio State University, 3rd best team…..in the….SEC…east

9. echo 1
    11:43 pm May 26, 2011 Permalink

Tressel will survive this. He could kill someone and he would survive it. You know why? He is winning, especially against Michigan. If the NCAA doesn’t come knocking (again), he will be just fine.

10. JP Wildeyes
    12:38 am May 27, 2011 Permalink

Tress will survive. In all of his hollow statements that really say nothing, the Senator did have one quote for the ages. “Adversity is a teachable moment,the key is what kind of students we are.” Tressel will be fine, Pryor will win the Heisman, and Sullinger will win the Naismith POY. By the way, I heard the infamous car salesman and huge buckeye fan wanted to expand on his 15 minutes and infiltrated the KSTV casting call, but ran into some adversity along the way.

11. bigbill992001
    10:23 am May 27, 2011 Permalink

Why’d you delete my post, Will? Kitchen getting a little warm?

12. bigbill992001
    10:24 am May 27, 2011 Permalink

Why’d you delete my post , Will? Kitchen getting a little warm?

13. 7aintenough
    2:25 pm May 27, 2011 Permalink

I wish we had a guy like the Rainmaker. If only Jon Hood was cool enough to make a video about fundamentals.