Things I have waited for more patiently than the Andrew Wiggins decision

Wiggins_Andrew493

Andrew Wiggins has been mentioned in a whopping 482 KSR posts, which makes the fact that some of us are undergoing “Wiggins Fatigue” totally understandable. Look, we all know the kid is awesome. The Next LeBron, Canadian Jordan, and every single superlative under the sun have been used to describe the 6’7″ 190 lb. small forward, who, as we all are well aware, is still deciding between Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and Florida State. I know his college list better than my nephew’s birthdays at this point (which is pretty shameful…sorry Sam, Alex, Forrest and Wyatt!), and the question “What will Wiggins do” dominates most of my conversations, even though I don’t even live in Kentucky.

Say it with me in your best Jan Brady voice, BBN: “Wiggins, Wiggins, Wiggins!”

Don’t get me wrong: I pray we get the kid. He’s awesome, and with him, we would be unstoppable. Without him, we will still be amazing, but if he decides to bring his talents here, we could be the the team legends are made of. One day, little boys and girls will wear Wiggins’ UK jersey while playing basketball in their driveways on Mars. Instead of “Want to be like Mike,” it will be “Want to be like Wig,” or something much, much more clever than that.

But the wait is killing me.

For fun, I sat down and made a list of things I have waited for more patiently than Andrew Wiggins’ decision:

— Christmas

— My 16th birthday

— My 21st birthday

— The first Saturday of college football

— Big Blue Madness

— Keeneland

— Any trip to Vegas

— The 1996, 1997, 1998 and 2012 National Championship games

— My last day at my old job

— My wedding and honeymoon

— The last Harry Potter book

— My first encounter with Oscar Combs

— The results of the first “Who Wants to be a KSR Blogger” Contest

— A table at Pancake Pantry

— The Harlem Shake to get old

— Yoga pants to become acceptable as everyday wear

— The day someone rids the world of mosquitoes

— Matthew Mitchell to become my best friend

— A low fat sour cream or peanut butter that actually taste like the real thing

— The next episode of “Breaking Bad”

— Don Draper to figure out his life on “Mad Men”

Next season

I encourage you to add yours in the comments section.

39 Comments for Things I have waited for more patiently than the Andrew Wiggins decision

1. Billy Gillespie
    3:02 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Happy hour and Chinoe Pub….. NOT

2. SexnNursinHomes
    3:03 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

for 17 year old girls to turn 18…

3. KC
    3:03 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

A date.

4. Bad Luck Brian
    3:06 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

The day I lose my virginity.

5. Rick P
    3:14 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

My mistress to get her period…….stop waiting….

6. Rick Pitino
    3:15 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

14 seconds.

7. UKDMD
    3:16 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

My first time with a woman.
    My second time with… You get it

8. James
    3:20 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

This is really lame. Drop this lousy deadspin-imitation garbage and stick with uk news. I hate this drivel that is posted all over the blog now.

9. luvcats
    3:20 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

A Jim Halpert-Pam Beasley breakup.

10. Dumbledore
    3:23 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Jeez. Apparently the only people still reading KSR are 15 horny toads and me.

11. Rei
    3:23 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

0/10

12. Nick
    3:23 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Chill out #8, there just isn’t any news to report right now, keep up the good work Tyler

13. chad
    3:24 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

The KSR site redesign

14. farmer
    3:28 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

agreed #13

15. john
    3:31 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

How profitable is this site do you guys think? Just curious…

16. bung
    3:31 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

a fast break…

17. John Mayer
    3:32 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Taylor Swift getting married.

18. AD's Unibrow
    3:36 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

My testies to drop….

19. MattD
    3:44 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Although the entirety of my post will be moot as soon as Andrew Wiggins announces, I feel compelled to lay it out. For as long as we have known about Andrew Wiggins we have heard that he was considering UK and FSU. His parents, as is well documented, were both collegiate athletes at FSU, and UK (more appropriately the coaching staff) have been after Wiggins since the beginning.

I am a believer that first reactions matter. In this instance, from the onset the coaching community felt that Wiggins was a done deal to one of these two schools, so much so that in November of last year UNC didn’t even send a rep to Wiggins tournament in Charlotte. I believe (obviously this is just speculation), that Andrew has wanted to come to UK for some time. Obviously his parents want him to go to FSU and with UK on his early list, I cannot help but to think this was Wiggins desire. However, The Wiggins family and his coach made it abundantly clear some short time thereafter that his recruitment was wide open. After being approached by schools, Wiggins eventually narrowed his list to 4 schools. The aforementioned FSU and UK, and UNC (near his extended family) and KU (near his brother).

Now what do we know about Andrew Wiggins? He has done a superb job of offering very little. However, when asked about what he hoped to accomplish in college, the one constant from 2012 through today is his desire to win a National Championship. KSR has suggested, albeit vaguely, that Wiggins family was not on board with UK. This leads me to believe that Wiggins added two schools that had legitimate chances to win a chip, that has parents might have been more comfortable with. With all of this said, if you empathize, and really put yourself in Wiggins shoes, I can see only two possible outcomes. 1. UK or 2. FSU. If Wiggins does not pick UK, it will be because he felt defeated by his family, who have been insistent that UK is not the place for him (via his brother’s tweet and his parents opting to have Andrew include other schools) then I do not see him selecting some compromise school. Imagine being in his position, when you feel defeated, the only way you can make a point is to pick the school your family knows you don’t want attend. In this case, FSU. UK is, in my humble opinion, his school of choice. A snippet from an ESPN insider post by Dave Telep makes my point: “In my experience, when situations drag out this long, it often means not everyone is on the same page. It could be parents, coaches, mentors or friends with different favorites for the player. When that happens, confusion sets in.”

I feel bad for the kid, because I think its obvious what he wants and what other people want for him. If Nike got into his parents ears about the marketing potential of UK while he was at the Nike Hoops Summit, it might really help his chances with UK. Sad really to think that something like that could have an impact, but I believe his parents are very concerned with Andrew’s branding.

-MattD

20. BlueBalls
    3:48 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

-Marijuana to be legalized
    -“That’s what she said” to make a comeback
    -Billy Packer to get off the air
    -The next Jamal Mashburn
    -A drink at Two Keys on a Thursday Night
    -Guys wearing boat shoes no where near water to get exposed and made fun of
    -My suspension from the UK Lottery to be uplifted

21. SeaCat
    3:54 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

an update from BleedBlue on Wiggins

22. hoof hearted
    3:56 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

-billie clyde to be sober
    -raising canes to release the sauce recipe
    -louisville fans to shave their line beards
    -college football top 8 team playoffs
    -2012 uk football season to end
    -the “louisville is now relevant” stuff to finally end
    -a come back of alf

23. Catsfan
    3:58 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Being a parent, I would never encourage my child to go to my Alma mater if said school was not in my child’s best interest. In this case, basketball. I would want my child to go to a school that would help him realize his dreams. That being said, I find it hard to believe that Wiggins’ parents would insist on FSU. I don’t think FSU is in the picture.

24. Catsfan
    4:03 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Would like to have more news on UK baseball, softball, volleyball, tennis and golf. If you wrote some articles regarding those sports you wouldn’t have 400+ articles on Wiggins! I love UK and ALL their sports!

25. Cope
    4:04 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

I just have a weird feeling its UNC. Lord I hope im wrong

26. MattD
    4:06 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

@Catsfan. You really should check out KSRCollege. They offer a lot of information about the non-basketball/football sports. Its a great site! You can find the link on the top of the right side of your screen. Cheers!

27. Lcat
    4:09 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Folks, get real and maybe a life. This kid is a Tar heel. We do not need him. We have TOO much talent. The Heels were always his best option and Roy has raised enough money through MJ to get this kid on the UNC campus. Given the stars we have, he would be crazy to come to the Cats. half the time he would never touch the basketball. He needs to go some where to average 20 points or more per game and that will not be UK. This kid is not an MKG type of player. He has to be the dominant player on the team. And then there is the UNC co-ed he has already teamed up with!!!

28. MattD
    4:15 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

@Lcat I do not believe there is such a thing as too much talent. The Miami Heat agree. No one knows where he is going to school, why you are insistent that he’s a Tar heel is beyond me. A player with his skill set would get plenty of touches, more importantly, he wouldn’t be double teamed every time he touches the ball. Also whats this about a UNC co-ed? Link or didn’t happen!

29. Justus
    4:16 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

How has nobody said the Billy Gillispie Podcast? My answer is the Billy Gillispie podcast!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Cope
    4:20 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Rivals member saying its official, UNC…. Cant read it though cuz im not a member

31. btowncatfan
    4:24 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

The KSR re-design.

32. C Mills
    4:29 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

BTI to not suck

33. CATFANFOREV15
    5:02 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

For Billy Gillespie to leave the University of Kentucky!!

34. waiting. ...
    7:09 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

-word on jai lucas
    -pilgrim to be a beast
    -corey nichols to stop posting at 9:00 (yesterday was a huge tease)

35. John Calipari
    7:27 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

27 – Anthony Davis took the 5th most shots

36. Lakesidecatsfan
    7:50 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

The Truth’s crow eating call into the radio show.

37. Roland