There’s a new kid in practice town

You’re going to see a very unfamiliar face while watching All-Access Kentucky tomorrow night. Don’t let it confuse you. It’s just the new guy, Tod Lanter. Lanter joined the UK basketball team the Saturday morning after Big Blue Madness as a practice player. He took my dream, your dream, our dream, and made it a reality.

Lanter, the son of former UK basketball player Bo Lanter, is a sophomore at UK, a Lexington native, and former baller at Dunbar High School. He spent his freshman season playing ball for Gulf Coast State College in Panama City, but returned home after one season because that wasn’t the college basketball career he dreamed of. So, once back home, he took a year off from school, hit the weights hard, and then called up UK to ask if they needed a practice player. Coach John Robic gave him a tryout and the rest is history.

Check out CoachCal.com for the whole story…

[Who’s the new kid? Introducing practice player Tod Lanter]

And here’s a picture of his old man…

Bo scored 43 points for the Cats from 1979-82.

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for There’s a new kid in practice town

1. fred patrick
    7:07 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

I followed this kid through high school and for coach cal to pick someone who didnt even start but like 4 or 5 times in high school career and only average like 6 points a game i dont know. guess this goes to show who you know..

2. fred patrick
    7:09 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

along with the rest of our great walk ons

3. Duuuuuude
    7:10 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Is there any way to see the first episode of All Access Kentucky?

4. ring-a-ding-ding
    7:16 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

will he get a ring ?

5. Ukfan
    7:24 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Lucky bastard.

6. DaveUK
    7:28 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

I just want to know whether Bo has that sweet ’78 special edition Trans Am from back in the day? Dude didn’t play much but he had the best car in the Lodge parking lot.

7. Why not
    7:29 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

I’ve played pick up games with this dude…he’s no doubt better than Long or Malone….but then again a lot of us are.

8. Why be negative?
    7:34 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

He is 6’3″ and a very good athlete. He’s worked really hard and is much better than his numbers from high school say. I’m sure if Fred Patrick followed Dunbar basketball he is an expert on talent. He’s a good kid who is living his dream, why hate on him for it?

9. Brian Long
    7:39 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

I just hope he appreciates this as much as I do.

10. CliffFrankLou
    7:39 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Please read the story on Cal’s site before launching into a criticism of this kid or why he is there. He doesn’t even have walk-on status yet.

11. fire him too
    8:00 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Fire Tod and Joker

12. Bob
    8:24 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

10) You must not understand…. I would give my left and/or right nut to be a practice player. I don’t agree with playing favorites when giving the opportunity to wear the blue and white. Brian Long has no business wearing the uniform, I just hope this kid appreciates his opportunity

13. Bob Loblaw
    8:27 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Knew this guy in high school and I have played pick up with him before. Nice kid, but no chance he’s on this team without his family connections, much like our other walk ons. Let’s not kid ourselves, these “practice players” or “walk ons” are just a way Cal and the staff returns favors to supporters of the program.

14. Duke Sucks
    8:29 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Fred Patrick just go head and admitt how envious you are of this kid. You sound like a little whinny bit$$. This kid is living a dream and your in your moms basement wearing her pantyhose and rubbing peanut butter on your self. Tod probably bagged more trim in a day then you will in 40 years.

15. lol
    9:07 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

he was a 6th man at dunbar and could shoot the lights out. don’t think he can do anything other than that, but hell…. brian long is wearing the uniform

16. barn
    10:05 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

don’t you think it’s more likely his dad called UK

17. old_school
    10:35 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

This is nothing but a way to boost the team GPA.
    Congrats to the kid for living the dream, and he probably knows full well he’s being exploited for his academic ability. But best of luck to him.

When the shoe falls for the UK program – it will be kids like this who will have to lay it all on the line for UK during the lean years. They do it for the love of the name across the chest – so for that – I’m pulling for this kid!

18. Deja Vu
    10:46 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

10 minutes ago I was outside working, thinking of memorable walk-ons, and the first I remember was Bo Lanter! I was a kid, but my dad pointed at Bo and made a big deal about this guy who hardly ever played. I have to say I hope this kid sees the floor in an exhibtion down the road.

19. Bob Loblaw
    11:45 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

17.) He’s not a moron, but he’s definitely not a GPA boost…

20. old_school
    12:10 am October 24, 2012 Permalink

I remember walk-ons like Chris Gettlefinger and Bo Lanter. Had to be a wonderful experience to be a part of the UK program.

Listening to a game on the radio once, Cawood and Ralph Hacker gave the play-by-play of Bo Lanter hitting a half-court shot – but as I recall – it was just late of the buzzer. I’m sure the crowd still roared!

21. kyle heavy
    8:05 am October 24, 2012 Permalink

It’s just like everything else in this world… it’s not what you know, it’s who you know. Good for him. At least he is taking advantage of the opportunity.

22. Cracked
    10:43 am October 24, 2012 Permalink

“Bo scored 43 points for the Cats…”

Impressive.

“….from 1979-82.”

Oh, ..well I hope he at least appreciated his time there.

23. The Real Pioneer
    12:03 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

Bo also had the pleasure of playing his Senior season with one of the best Freshman to ever grace Rupp Arena’s floors……..Troy McKinley.

24. GayGabe
    2:23 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

I would love some time alone with that bronze god of man. mmmmmmm sexy.

25. Tod Lanter is my cousin
    2:48 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

24. Simply not funny, or not appropriate…anywhere.

Tod believes in Kentucky basketball more than even the average passionate wildcat faithful, he will bring that passion to pregames of rivals or trap games and will do whatever he can to contribute to the effort and mindset of this team.

26. Mrkentucky
    7:51 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

It was his dad I think I think he might be good but is kinda weird u give a random kid a chance his dad called fayette county distract cause a 8th graders was starting in front of him and the kid they tolled on was Larry Morton he lived out distract so they were uneligable he was to for a year

27. Mrkentucky
    7:52 pm October 24, 2012 Permalink

Also look look it up for more information look up Todd lanter Dunbar absketball and show u story

28. LeeDean
    1:09 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Good three and two in the clutch in Blue-White game.