There are probably better ways to describe Jalen Whitlow’s day

Freshman quarterback Jalen Whitlow took all of the first-team passing reps in practice today while Max Smith rested that shoulder injury. After practice, Joker Phillips described Whitlow’s day with one of the least inspiring quotes you’ll ever hear from a football coach coming out of practice.

“He didn’t look God-awful,” Joker said of Whitlow’s day with the first team.

Well, I guess that’s one way to put it.

Rashawn will be by shortly with more from Wednesday’s practice. Until then, say a prayer for Max Smith’s shoulder.

Article written by Drew Franklin

47 Comments for There are probably better ways to describe Jalen Whitlow’s day

1. SexnNursinHomes
    1:20 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Anybody got Dr Kevorkian’s phone number. UK is truly the Terry Schiavo of college football.

Please just make this football year over with already.. It’s done. Finished. Fat lady sang and she sounded like shit.

2. Han
    1:21 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Why are we particularly worried about how Joker characterizes a player’s ability? Joker seems to believe field goals when down 20 and 3-yard passes on 4th and 10 are the way to go.

3. Red Rooster
    1:24 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Would Mike Leach come to KY? Wasn’t he a guy who loved Kentucky? This has to happen, right?

4. Bevo
    1:27 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

When JW goes out and starts making plays against USC, JP will probably change the play calling to keep his numbers low…only to keep himself from looking like an idiot. Yes, that’s crazy to think a head coach would intentionally do things to lose a game, but based on what JP has done thus far @ UK, it definitely would not be a shocker!

5. DB11
    1:28 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

If Smith doesn’t play, spring to bet on SC covering

6. DB11
    1:28 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

sprint*

7. J
    1:30 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Joker definitely knows God awful. Joker could f up a rock fight.

8. FrankTheTank
    1:35 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

My biggest concern is Raeshawn will be back shortly with more from Wednesday’s practice. Honestly, I think KSR should take a poll. Would you rather that KSR does not report on football for the remainder of the year _____Yes or ____No. Just post a simple poll and if the majority wants to hear about this crap, keep posting it. Otherwise, I say you start investing a little time following some other sports. I’d rather get player profiles and up to date scores and highlights from Women’s Volleyball and/or soccer at this point. The Joke is on us!!

9. Bradley
    1:35 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Great news! Joker hasn’t been right about much of anything yet.

10. JEREMY
    1:36 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Wow! That’s the way to build confidence in your players! Not a good choice of words. Just really don’t understand a lot of what he says and does…

11. carnifex
    1:36 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

“He didn’t look God-awful”…well then he’s better than Newton, isn’t he? This was praise from Mushmouth.

12. bluemist
    1:37 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

We should be honest with ourselves a quarterback can only affect the game with leadership and passing.. he has almost no impact on the game handing the ball off..so if smith cannot pass then why play him…

13. Mike Leach
    1:47 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

I will come, just ask. Please get me out of this cold, rainy misserable he77hole!! PLEASE!!!

14. Vette72
    1:48 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

And who recruited Jalen?
    Get rid of this clown NOW!

15. Old Pogue Bourbon
    1:48 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Hire Mike Leach!!

16. St. Paul Raiders
    1:54 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Still amazes me how within the same athletic department you can have the “gold standard” in one program and as SNH so eloquently puts it the “Terry Schiavo” of another. As much as Cal “gets it” Joker does not.

17. UKBlue1!
    1:54 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

I will be there on Saturday. Somewhere around the mid point of the 2nd quarter, I am going to pull a brown paper bag out and put it over my head. Then I am going to start screaming. Go Cats!

18. Han
    1:54 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

14) Exactly. Joker complained about not having enough speed, about the guys not getting the system. People have said he had to wait out the seniors from last year. He recruited all of these guys! This is not someone new to the program having to rebuild from someone else’s mess. This is someone who has not only failed to continue our relative success but who has actually gotten much worse.

19. 84Cat
    1:57 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Yes, Mike Leach pretty PLEASE!

20. Big Blue Coming at You
    1:59 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

This just goes to show how terrible Joker and Sanders are at evaluating QB’s and developing them. I’ll give Whitlow a pass for being a freshman but it seems all our QB’s don’t “get it” until they are Seniors or they don’t get it at all like Newton.

21. paducahfan
    1:59 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

I attended the St. X – Trinity luncheon at the Galt House. Kirk Herbstreet was asked to comment on UK football. He said “All I can say is I’m sorry” and pretended to shoot a basketball, saying that’s coming up.

22. SexnNursinHomes
    2:01 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

16- I know. Somebody is lying and I know it ain’t us fans. We see the product on the field, and that product’s success is based squarely on the head coach. I bet Leach could turn this same team into at least a 5-7 team, maybe even get a bowl bid. Yeah I know that sounds crazy.

23. billself'srug
    2:03 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

It is an unfortunate fact that the truly God awful person in UK Football is the Head Coach himself.
    Mike Leach is not walking through that door.
    I’m rooting for Patrick Towles’ HS Coach at this point.

24. Vette72
    2:03 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Hans Says, said it better than I did.
    But really…he recruits these kids (and I really doubt another D1 school recruited them), and then he throws them under the bus.

25. St. Paul Raiders
    2:05 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

22- Agree. I’m firmly in the Petrino camp, but I’d have zero issues with Leach either.

26. Alex
    2:06 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

You all have to look at the bright side here. “Not God-awful” means he’s Smith’s backup for sure.

27. wildcat502
    2:07 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

I do not understand how anyone can say Joker has to get his players into the system. How Joker inherited a team with no Junior and seniors. Wasnt he the recruiting coordinator under Brooks???
    This would be his team then. Unless Brooks made th final decisions on all recruits

28. lldjr
    2:07 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

29. TheFatLady
    2:10 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

#1–Heeeyyyyy. I didn’t sound THAT bad, did I?

30. AWAT
    2:11 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

That is a terrible way to describe a player. Whitlow must feel great after that one. An even bigger question, what is the deal with Towles??? I know these scouting agencies aren’t everything but there is no way a guy that is ranked as high as he was shouldn’t be getting some looks.

31. cdc_uky
    2:14 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Let’s not go the Leach route. Let’s get a big name with some baggage (only way to get a big name to UK). I hate Petrino so my vote is Tressel. Bring him in now, let him sit out his 5 games during this waste of a season, then hit the recruiting trail for next year. Any takers?

32. SexnNursinHomes
    2:20 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

25- I was skeptical on Petrino. but after thinking things out. I think Petrino will stay at UK. Truly seems sorry if given a second chance to coach.

29- Sounded like Katy Perry choking on Russel Brand’s pubes.

33. Terry Schiavo
    2:23 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

#1. Hey leave me out of this. I could play QB for KY right now and perform better than JW.

34. good lordy...
    2:25 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

joker = boob

What the hell is mitch waiting for – joker couldn’t manage a porta pot, much less a SEC football team. So frustrating.

35. Dee
    2:28 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

compared to the play of Newton…I will take not looking “God-awful”….

36. SexnNursinHomes
    2:31 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

33- hahahahahaha

37. Mike Leach
    2:42 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

FREE ME!!!!!!

38. Fan Fan
    2:49 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

33 u sound stupid and probably look it too. The kid haven’t even played a game yet so how can u say that. I will tell u Joke is sandbagging he knows Whitlow is a gamer

39. Blah blah blah
    4:14 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Does it really matter? How good do you have to be to throw 4 yard passes every play and pray your WRs break it open…. Put mister cobble at qb and atleast entertain some people

40. Fan Fan
    4:45 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

I can now see why UK has no football program. Fans are too fair weather and negative. People who never played high level football always has the most to say

41. Rae
    4:58 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

40. It is called being realistic. When you are #102 in the nation, the worst FBS team by ten spots, you have a right to be frustrated because there isn’t much positive on the field.

Too negative? I think we have pretty low standards actually. We aren’t asking to be Bama. We just want to be average.

Season tickets are expensive and times are tough. People don’t want to give their hard earned money to a product just not worth it. The administration sees dollars and cents and booster support, not the product on the field itself. Without speaking their language and hitting them where it hurts a little bit, there won’t be a change.

42. KYStout
    5:02 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Just when you thought UK football couldn’t get any less inspiring, Joker ups his game and manages to become even more deflating. We are nearly back to being Bill Curry awful.

43. Georgia Blue
    5:41 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

What is Mike Leach record at Washington State. What do Mike Leach offense ranks in the PAC 12. Its some better coaches out their than Mike Leach . Do UK have search committee for finding football coach. If you going to hire a new coach . You still have to recruit and compete in the SEC. So he better be a good recruiter and his asst better be excellent coaches and recruiter. It’s not as easy as you think when searching for a new coach. Academic is a major thing to with the new NCAA rules on graduating ratio, meeting certain requirement as a Student-Athlete ask UConn basketball.

44. Blah blah blah
    6:06 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Completely agree with 41 everyone sayin people are fair weather fans and what not are just dumb. We’re an SEC school and have every right to expect our teams to not look “god awful”. All you have to do is look at the support brooks had when he was merely going to bowl games every year, we don’t expect to be national championship contenders but when you look at rankings and see teams like Akron and Florida Atlantic surrounding you it’s kind of hard to not be negative

45. Chuck
    7:32 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

Forget Leach. You don’t build football programs on just offense. We need to bring in a coach like Jerry Clairborne who built his teams around defense. Ask anybody that coached against him and they’ll probably say that when you played a Clairborne coached team you knew you were going to be in a dog fight. Look at his record after his first year. In the 8 years he was here 30 or more points were scored on his teams 14 times. We always felt we had a chance to win with his teams, using the wide tackle six defense. He was 41-46 and that includes the 0-10-1 first season. I don’t know any sport that wins without good defense. As Rupp always said, “your defense picks up your offense.” Forget names like Leach, Petrino, and Tressel. We need aggressive defensive coaches. Look at Stoops at Fla.St., or Smart at Alabama. As good as Curci’s teams were offensively it was their defense that beat teams like Gerogia 33-0, LSU 33-13. In their 10-1 in which only 5 were home games only 4 teams scored in double figures, the most being 21 by Baylor who beat them early in the season. Find a coach out there who’s had teams that will fight you for 60 minutes and we might find our next coach. Of course does the Rev. Barnfart know this?

46. Fan Fan
    9:07 pm September 26, 2012 Permalink

I think you won’t be getting a new coach because whitlow I believe will save Phillips job. I saw him play and we haven’t seen his best by far. If he plays heavy mins you will be impressed

47. superslim
    5:38 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

i really procured the recommendations originally from the group mother in an attempt a lot diet solutions. And i found this situation lida resilient variation. this can doesn��t fastener your incredible wine refrigerator available for you but if you could have some self-discipline, It provide you reducing your path. in times past, i’ve had dolphins, good luck lida but not really web-sites. you have provided me some extra electrical energy, might be refined but yet around.