The Wall Street Journal investigates the “goggles”

The “three point goggles”… Ben Gordon was doing it in 2008 for the Chicago Bulls, Mo Williams claims he started it to make fun of Jomario Moon in Cleveland last year, and I’ve always thought it was as a ‘blood’ gang sign.  A Yahoo! Answers page even says it’s a Lady GaGa tribute, so who really knows? All we do know, is it’s a good sign for Kentucky when Doron Lamb and company are doing it on the court.

The Wall Street Journal has a piece investigating these “three point goggles” and John Calipari weighed in on the fad…

“Last year we had the John Wall dance,” dumbfounded Kentucky coach John Calipari said. “I didn’t even know. Now there’s a goggles T-shirt that came out, and I’m like, what is that? I’m just trying to make sure they run back on defense.”

“What happens is the players here are known,” said Kentucky’s Calipari. “People know who Wall is, who DeMarcus Cousins is, who Josh Harrellson and Darius Miller are. That’s what it’s about. If that’s what happens, that’s great.”

Whatever it means or however it started – I like it, and I will continue to do it wherever I’m watching the game and on into life’s journeys.

Leggoo Cats.

WSJ: College Basketball’s Big-Play Goggles

Article written by Drew Franklin

38 Comments for The Wall Street Journal investigates the “goggles”

1. UK Student n Fan
    1:09 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

first, goggles are on

2. UKFanInCiny
    1:09 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

First?

3. UKFanInCiny
    1:09 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Damn…

4. ukcat8fan
    1:09 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

*New Video* 2010-2011 Kentucky Basketball: SEC Tournament Champions (Link Below)

5. cracka
    1:11 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

that’s funny, uk players are known across the country in that order: 1) wall, 2) cousins, 3) harrellson, 4) miller … not so much

yeah, yeah, i know that’s not what he was saying

6. Hunter
    1:12 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Why was this deleted then reposted?

7. Wildcat rick
    1:13 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Anyone know Saturday game time?

8. Kyle Macy
    1:15 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Three in your eye! Princeton is about to get the goggles.

9. JonHoodsNipples
    1:16 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

6. Why do you care?

10. dub07
    1:17 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

i have a 6 year old who does it everytime he makes an outside shot…i like it

11. UKMillerTime
    1:17 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

SO there is a goggles shirt?

12. cracka
    1:19 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

here is the origin of this, i guess … and it’s not a uk shirt … yet! somebody make this happen!

13. Liggins
    1:19 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Legggggooooo!!!!

14. minton
    1:19 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Buckwheat used to do it when he said “OOOTaaaay.” http://blogs.qc.cuny.edu/blogs/0209N0277/001/OTAY-Buckwheat.jpg

15. Liggins
    1:19 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Fan Outfitters has the Goggles shirt

16. DMC4ROY
    1:29 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

12: it is a UK t-shirt I’ve had mine for weeks now, get em here: http://www.sixthmanapparel.com/tshirts.html

17. Patriot
    1:36 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

I guess with Doron sporting his boots and goggles around campus dispells the rumor about him not going to class anymore!

18. jesco white
    1:36 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

I love the goggles thing. I saw after Jones hit one on Sunday, he looked at aomeone on the bench, and then they made their goggles explode. Its nice to see these guys having fun and digging in on defense after hitting one. I saw the folks at the tourney wearing the shirts, and thats awesome.

19. TeamPaulyD
    1:41 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Sidney Lowe to resign at N.C. State!! Wonder if C.J. Leslie is calling coach Calipari right now???

20. kywildcat_96
    1:54 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Write it down. Next year it will be a technical just like showing any excitement in a football game is now a penalty. Two years from now they will erase the 3 points from the board.

21. Laker Cat 18
    1:58 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Gordon and Williams did it? Screw that, nobody will remember that. The Cats will put it on the map to stay.

22. Blue Chip
    1:59 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

4. ukcat8fan – Your vids are always awesome, I only wish I could get them in 1080p. 🙂

23. Don
    2:00 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

#20 We’ll pass, we’re good.

24. Albert Einstein
    2:04 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

It really doesn’t take an Einstein to figure this one out. I talked to Doron and Brandon about this when I ran into them a couple of weeks back, just to make sure my assumption was correct. They confirmed it! This hip, new gesture is simply a tribute to me and my brother’s company. A number of the team enjoyed a breakfast from our shop so much that they decided to show us a little “thank you” after every three ball they make. Just check it out here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Einstein_Bros._Bagels_logo.png

25. Just saying
    2:13 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Why does Calipari always act like he has no idea whats going on? So he had no idea about the JW dance either huh?

26. Al's IndiCats
    2:45 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

I always thought it was 3 in your eye…21 you probably more right than you know. If UK’s doing it, damn it must mean Satan’s spirit’s with them, Let’s Tee ’em up! Then burn them at the stake!

27. Andrew
    3:08 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

For the love of Christ please stop supporting the “goggles”! It is a satanic/Illuminati symbol that has been all over the music industry and athletics. The point is to get youngsters to imitate these signs and symbols without fully understanding what it is! Someone close to this team get Doron to stop doing it! Throw away your “ok” / “three” tshirts and buttons. The idea is it means a three pointer, but the truth is much darker.

28. mocha
    3:16 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

I seriously thought this post was a joke until I got to the WSJ article.

29. A
    3:46 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Please stop encouraging the use of the “okay” / three symbol. Someone close to the team needs to get Doron to stop it using it immediately. The sign is a Satanic/Illuminati sign. You see the symbolism of the all-seeing eye as well as when they make the goggles sign. It is also all over popular music and athletics. You also see artists and athletes shown covering one of their eyes in photos seeingly for no reason. Kobe and LeBron are big time Illuminati pawns. The idea is to make these signs and symbols popular with the youth who believe they mean one thing or are simply cool when in fact it means something else entirely. Please look into it before you put on your “okay’ or goggles sing tshirts!

30. Voice of Reason
    4:19 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

# 28 WOW just WOW. Didn’t I see you this past weekend in the ATL outside of the georgia dome preaching? Hey read any good Dan Brown books lately?

31. mudcreekmark
    4:31 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

It means, look out I’ve got the eye tonight.If someone is shooting the eyes out. If you’ll notice, if someone misses 2 or 3 3’s they don’t usually make that sign when they finally make one.

32. Wildcat Fan
    4:34 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

The first person I saw using the 3 in your eye symbol was Rebecca Gray from last year’s UK woman’s team.She used it every time she made a “3”. She transferred this year to Union College.

33. Dale Earnhardt's Ghost
    4:47 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

Its for me.

34. Bleedblue502
    4:57 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

First off 3 point goggles has got to be the gayest name ever for this It originally has been called the goon sign as part of a gang symbol and then reached its way into bball about 2 years ago people have been doing this for a long time now and just this year people are acting like our fingers have just been capable of doing this sign, i love the “three point sign” or “goon sign” jus dont call it 3 point goggles dammit.

35. jesco white
    5:44 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

35, I think your about 15-20 years late. 2 years ago really ? The Portland Trail Blazers were doing this back in the day, and they even made t-shirts for it way back when Clyde Drexler, Cliff Robinson, and co were playing. And really Illuminati guy. Do you think the devil is rubbing his hands togteher and laughing each time these kids do this ? Come on folks.

36. BBM
    6:24 pm March 15, 2011 Permalink

I love when they sport just the three point monocle, not to be confused with the three point goggs. And also not to be confused with any sort of Satanic/Illuminati BS that #28 thinks is going on.haha. Also, if were gonna be doing this there must be rules. Just one three shouldnt justify the goggs, unless its a game deciding trey, or someone thats not a three point shooter jacks one up, Like Big Rig #55 Josh Harrellson. But if D-Lamb makes a three 5 min into the game then no goggles allowed. Two threes deserves a monocle. And three threes should be either the monocle again, or the goggles depending on the scenario. #foodforthought

37. cats11