The Wall Street Journal interviews Anthony Davis about being filthy rich

Anthony Davis’ three-year deal with the Hornets is worth a little over $16 million in guaranteed money and he has a list full of endorsement offers. So, basically, he’s filthy rich. Like, stupid rich.

In this new video, Davis talked to the Wall Street Journal’s Lee Hawkins about his wealth, participation in the NBA Rookie Transition Program, becoming an overnight millionaire, being a star at Kentucky, winning a gold medal in the Olympics, trademarking his eyebrows, the mentorship he’s received from LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, and the love of money.

I love money,” he told the WSJ. “I love it. I’ll do anything I have to do to make money.

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for The Wall Street Journal interviews Anthony Davis about being filthy rich

1. tltaworl
    11:34 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

I bet he wishes he could take that quote back. Ah to be young and rich!

2. slojoe
    11:35 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

Has to be the wrong video.. nothing about Anthony Davis in there

3. #1UKfan
    11:35 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

Uhh, wrong video.

4. mark
    11:36 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

Kids…

5. Coach Durbin
    11:53 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

I REALLY hope I’m wrong, but based on several different quotes and stories I’ve read, I think Anthony might be heading the way of 2 previous Chicago products, Eddy Curry and Antoine Walker. Let’s hope he stays healthy and is smart with his money.

6. obama
    11:56 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

Anthony davis didn’t get here by himself somewhere along the way there was a great teacher….

7. Bone Thugs N Harmony
    12:01 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Fo’ Tha Love of Money

8. BlueFins
    12:01 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Pimpin’ ain’t easy

9. schwing
    12:18 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

at least he can afford another car for when that effing mercedes is in the shop all the damn time.

10. DuPont
    12:19 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Anthony Davis is the most self-aware UK player I have seen

11. 1 Timothy 6:10
    12:20 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

12. E-LOY VAR-GAS
    12:22 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

$520,000 a month, not $52,000 a month. 12.4mm v. 1.2mm over 2 years – and since his is like a 16mm contract over 2 years…yeah. $520,000/month is an ‘estimate’ of what he’s earning a month – $52,000/month is 1.2mm over 2 years – not really first round draft pick money.

13. Yeaaa
    12:36 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

People stop hating. The only reason anybody works is for money. I don’t get up and go to work each day because I love it. He gets to do both. Yes people helped him, yes people taught him, but in the end, he still had to do the work and push. And even if Mercedes isn’t your car of choice, please tell me you wouldn’t go buy new cars, houses, etc. I would.

14. tltaworl
    12:47 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

13. I am sure most of us would love to have that kind of money. But I think somebody needs to caution him that articles like this do not show him in a good light. I love money too, I can do great things with money. But to say “I’ll do anything I have to do to make money” is a dangerous statement and one he will hopefully learn to not make.

15. tltaworl
    12:47 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Where is the white on white Bentley?

16. milosh
    1:10 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

did he already spend the $200,000 he received to commit to kentucky or did his daddy take it.

17. milosh
    1:19 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

I sniff glue.

18. Deepblue
    1:27 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

And all this time I thought that Mitt Romney and Anthony Davis were two different people!

19. CatGrad7072
    1:35 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Hey 16: Yo mamma took it.

20. Karen Sypher
    1:39 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

me too, Anthony!

21. AssholeDiCKfaCe
    1:42 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

I can’t wait until cash is replaced with fine aged cheese. I’ll be a millionaire that day.

22. Jax Teller
    1:50 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

I love Anthony, but the only time he let his guard down during the 15 min interview was when he said “I love money”. His entire tone changed. That scares me. I’ll probably get crushed for saying this but the rumors from last summer + those comments and the way he said them are alarming.

23. huh
    2:00 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

22-what rumors?

24. CatSinceBirth
    2:06 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

I love Anthony, but he has some growing up to do. He’s a great young man, but I wish he would get off the money thing. I hope he has a good advisor and agent because he definitely needs one. Focus seems more on new found money than on basketball.

25. RealCatsFan
    2:25 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Folks, keep in mind the context of the article – he is being interviewed by The Wall Street journal, which is approaching him from a financial viewpoint. Perfectly natural that the discussion would center on money in this setting. Now, if ESPN or SI were interviewing him, and he was talking about money instead of basketball, THEN I would be concerned.

At one point he even mentions wanting to get involved with some charities and foundations. He sounds pretty well grounded to me, and I don’t expect to see him going the way of Walker. Ask anyone who has won a lottery or suddenly come into a large sum of money like this – you had better get your ducks in a row and figure out a good investment plan before you address the legions of people who will be soliciting you for “loans”, or you will see it disappear quite quickly.

26. UKBlue
    2:34 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

At least he has started off right. That’s a lot of money, but it’s still short money, he wants Warren Buffett money. First thing get a lawyer on retainer & second financial adviser. People always forget, half of that money is gone automatically for taxes; AD is now part of Obama 1%. Then the 10% for his manager & agent. Insurance policy like David Lee Roth did just in case he accidentally gets a baby momma.

Antonie Walker should be the perfect poster boy for what not to do. Kobe should be the perfect person to talk to about women throwing themselves at him; Kobe should take his own advise especially since his wife just almost left him again for cheating. If he gets married, as Kayne said, holla we want prenup.

27. JustSayin
    2:49 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

No, not all of us work “for money”. Some of us choose jobs that pay less, so we can be
    near family or stay home in Kentucky. Some of us even work countless hours
    volunteering. And that’s for love. Not money. No, money is NOT the “only
    reason” people work.

28. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:21 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

12 – I think he meant $52,000 per week. That comes out to about $2.7M. His salary is about $4.3M per year and $2.7M is about 65% of that. His financial advisor was calculating about 35% taxes. I think he just misspoke.

29. The TRUTH
    3:55 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Just lost some respect for Davis. “The love of money is the ROOT of ALL evil.”

30. He Got Paid
    4:29 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

You are delusional to think he didnt get paid that $200k that was rumored last summer. It was just so well hidden that we will never know for sure because of lack of proof. This is the benefit of having WWW involved with the recruits. Cal is nothing without him. We all know it, but wont admit it.

31. Mel
    5:41 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

27. Well said.

This is just sad to hear, but then again one couldn’t expect much else from a teenage millionaire.

32. BPsycho
    5:48 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

We win the title and you’re still here trolling that same bull****.

Find a different blog jealous troll! Truth! lol

33. ukcat1
    7:12 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing #15. At least it is a white on white Mercedes.

34. Listen.......
    7:53 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

To those blasting Davis, listen to the actual clip in the video (8:42). It’s not nearly as bad as it seems when just reading the quote.

35. browbro
    11:57 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

(2:24) My grandma does a great job not telling me these things. She says, “I’m not gonna tell you these things.”