The Unbelievable Stats of Last Night’s Win and This Season

Anyone that knows anything about me knows that I am a statistics nerd. I love diving deep into how they can show teams weakness and strengths and love looking at how they match up with other teams in history.

Like the 2012 and 2015 basketball team, you can find this year’s football team continuously marking themselves among history. The most notable one is of course the most wins in the regular season since 1977.

Corey Price is one of my favorite follows on Twitter. He puts even my stats knowledge to shame with some of the unbelievable ones he is able to pull out. Like before the game, he gave us this one:

Pretty crazy stat right? It just continues to prove how good this year’s team actually is.

As the game continued, he gave a few more crazy stats.

Those are just a few of my favorite stats from Corey. If you would like to know more from him, be sure to head over to his Twitter. He has tons of stats about this year’s team. You can find that by clicking here.

Now for some stats of my own:

• Kentucky went undefeated in non conference play for the first time since 2010. They did lose the bowl game that year though. The last time they went undefeated in non conference play and won the bowl game is 2008.
  • Kentucky went 6-3 against Power Five teams.
  • Kentucky’s punting unit, which wasn’t used yesterday, finished with the 11th best average punt in the nation.
  • Defense finished by giving up only 16.3 point per game which is good for 7th nationally and 2nd in the SEC.
  • Against ranked teams this season, Terry Wilson completed 71.2% of his passes which is the 3rd best in the nation for players that have attempted at least 50 passes.

Those are just a few crazy stats about this year’s team. These guys really were special. We should know sooner more of a firm idea of where they will play in a bowl game, but what we do know is it will be the perfect cap on a historic season.

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

17 Comments for The Unbelievable Stats of Last Night’s Win and This Season

1. N-UR-i
    11:25 am November 25, 2018 Permalink

You can thank me by buying me a beer. After the Duke and UT loss I got rid of my unlucky new UK phone case. We are undefeated in both sports since then.

• makeitstop
      11:33 am November 25, 2018 Permalink

I got rid of my UK Tervis and switched bourbon. I couldn’t tell which was doing more harm… now I know it was ur phone case.

• Sam Gormley
      11:48 am November 25, 2018 Permalink

Thank you for taking one for the team. We all have to do our part.

• makeitstop
      12:05 pm November 25, 2018 Permalink

Sam here’s a stat: we’re 2-0 since these important “tweaks” and our offense has produced 2x yardage and almost 5x more points. I’m not superstitious but why risk it…

2. KYjellyRoll
    11:29 am November 25, 2018 Permalink

Is Benny gone for sure?

• Soylentbeans
      2:09 pm November 25, 2018 Permalink

Not for sure but more than likely. I dont see him improving on his stock as you cant teach yourself to run faster. Maybe he could come back and catch more next year but he really isn’t that type of back.

• KYjellyRoll
      4:28 pm November 25, 2018 Permalink

Ok I see. Good point. If he added some receptions to his game then his stock would skyrocket. But, also takes a chance of being injured before making big $

3. makeitstop
    11:30 am November 25, 2018 Permalink

Great stats… and great way to finish the season. I’d be happy w the Citrus Bowl but don’t underestimate Mitch Barnhart’s ability to negotiate us into a NY6 Bowl. Obviously a UGa win v ‘Bama would help. But those aren’t done deals and our AD is as good or better than the others in contention.

• DelrayCat
      11:58 am November 25, 2018 Permalink

A Georgia win should almost guarantee UK a NY6 bowl since LSU would probably get Sugar..leaving Fiesta and Peach for UK and UF.

• Soylentbeans
      2:11 pm November 25, 2018 Permalink

How would the ga. V bama game have any impact on us getting a ny6 bowl?

• makeitstop
      12:15 pm November 25, 2018 Permalink

UGa win would help but only w Sugar bc it’s the one who the SEC tie in, and it would knock OSU or Oklahoma back into the pool. (Plus Sugar Bowl Cte will want to fill hotel rooms and a local team like LSU – while not technically “local” – doesn’t do that like UF, UGa or UK) Fiesta is an at large v at large, so no guarantee an SEC team gets it. BUT if it’s us or UF, which it prolly is, who’s got more star power? Bennie and Josh Allen v whom? Felipe Franks? No. Lamical Perrine? No. Toney is like Bowden, exciting but not a factor on most plays… their D has no star power like ours. It’s good. But we have marquee names for a change and will travel and Bowls are a business. U can negotiate ur way over another school.

4. bankshot
    11:53 am November 25, 2018 Permalink

One of the most incredible stats to me is that we only allowed 10 (I believe) passing touchdowns…there have been seasons over the years where potential to give up that many in one game!!!

• makeitstop
      12:19 pm November 25, 2018 Permalink

So true. Testiment to what a pass rush can do for u right?! And vice versa, better coverage gets u more sacks.

• WildcatCam