The Twin Towers will be Magnificent

(h/t CoachCal.com)

(h/t CoachCal.com)

Big Blue Madness is a show, not a competitive practice. You can’t learn much from it, but you can finally see the players’ athletic ability and potential. Nothing excited me more than watching our two new giants square off in the frontcourt. If they weren’t on the same team, it would be a great rivalry to watch.

I heard over and over the football coaches lament in the preseason the importance of competition, and the results it produces in developing talent. These two will go back and forth all season in practice. Last night wasn’t a very intense scrimmage, but WC and Nerlens still brought it. WC took a pass while running the court and rose up on Nerlens. It was a filthy nasty dunk; one worth many ridiculous adjectives. If it was on another team, this site would relentlessly not stop making fun of them. How did Nerlens respond? Blocking WC’s next shot attempt.

Competition brought the best out of Terrence Jones last year (he didn’t step it up, until he was forced to try after the IU game) and I expect the same out of these two. Coach Cal always gets raw talent, but big guys usually have the most work to do. They used to be able to dunk on any one they went up against, now they have to do actual post moves. Nerlens is very young (remember he reclassified) and WC still moves awkwardly. Good ole fashioned Coach Cal hard work, along with competition that will only increase as the season develops, expect to be amazed by a legendary UK frontcourt.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

42 Comments for The Twin Towers will be Magnificent

1. tdogg40330
    1:09 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

I only noticed 3 strengths on this team last nigh …. guards, forwards and centers

2. Louisville Fan
    1:10 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

You can have these two and they can go at it all they want, just remember

Dieng > Noel + Calley-Stein

L1C4

3. Linebeard
    1:15 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

And Dieng was better than Anthony Davis….and Siva and better than Wall..I mean Bledsoe..er Knight..er Teague…well he’s definately better than Harrow.

4. trouljaboy
    1:16 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

2) lol

5. Louisville Fan
    1:19 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

And how badly did the Cards out rebound UK in that game? UK will be lucky to get a single rebound in the game this year.

6. schwing
    1:21 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

i 100% never visit any louisville-related site. why do they feel the need to come over here and get laughed at?

7. Isaac in Long Beach
    1:25 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

5- Which game was that? The one where we beat you the first time, or the one where we beat you the second time?

8. Louisville Fan
    1:30 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

What are you going to have to say when the season gets vacated? When you cheat the wins don’t count and Cal knows all about that!

9. Walter Sobchak
    1:31 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

The last sentence of this post is not a sentence. Also, they will have to “do actual post moves”? I usually don’t care about grammar issues but the last paragraph of this post is actually hard to read.

10. tom
    1:32 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

#1 – good one.

One thought though. There has been some chatter about playing all skyscrapers three (Wiltjer, Stein and Noel) together. If that’s the case, who do they practice that offense / defense against to prepare for games? There’s only so much that having a coach hold up a broom will do.

11. Sean
    1:33 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

# 5 Are you seriously bragging about UL out rebounding UK when we one the game and then the national title? Seriously? I would laugh at you if I didn’t feel so sorry for ya. Damn.

12. Bob
    1:33 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Could we play a lineup of WCS, Noel, Wiltjer, Poythress, Goodwin?

13. Sean
    1:33 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

won, not “one”

14. OneAndDone
    1:37 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

12) that lineup will happen. But remember, Deng can handle it. SMH

15. Isaac in Long Beach
    1:37 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

8- I’d pose this question to you: What are you going to say when our wins never get vacated and you just have to admit your “team” has been second rate all along? I realize it makes you feel better about being a fan of Louisville to maintain your position that the only way the Cats can be this good is that we cheat, but the fact is that there’s no proof. Or even any allegations. And with the NCAA out for Kentucky blood incessantly, I’d say the probability of Cal doing anything against the rules are none to less than none. But like I said, your little brother syndrome doesn’t really bother me at all. I get it. I mean I’d be pretty pissed too if my season was determined by the likes of Gorgui Dieng and Peyton Siva.

16. MacGruber
    1:41 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

15. Well said my friend.

17. Aaron C Bunch
    1:43 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Once I read “Louisville Fan” I can’t take anything else seriously anymore. UofL fans seriously said Siva was “better than Wall” well we’ve since sent 3 PG’s to the NBA and you still have ol’ faithful and we’ve beat you every year. We are National Champs. Even if you are derranged enough to bash Noel, you can’t seriously tout Gieng?? The goal tending savage has barely learned the game. Go trim your line beard, and adjust your flat bill.

18. Aaron C Bunch
    1:44 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

The only thing getting “paid off” in the state of Kentucky is Karen Sypher’s abortion bills by Rick Pitino.

19. MacGruber
    1:46 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Gorgi “free fren hen” Dieng is the best card big man since Bozach Smith.

20. poppycat
    1:47 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Is it me or is WCS the largest player at UK since Mel Turpen? (Bowie height but wider, taller than Nazr and Magloire, taller than Orton & Cuz?)

21. Bob
    1:48 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

WCS is already predicted to be a higher draft pick than Dieng. And Nerlens is ahead of them both.

22. Floyd
    1:49 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

You ul idiots really take that L1C4 crap seriously? I can hear pitino and jurich laughing as they made it up, just to see if you idiots would do it. BTW your entire fan base really need to take the road trip to Syracuse this year. I think you’ll like their concourse.

23. MacGruber
    1:52 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

20.Shargari “upper decker” was a giant of a man. Not much of a player, but a giant.

24. Cats
    1:59 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

In economic terms, Kentucky basketball is the “1 percent”. Sorry we arent sorry.

25. bleedblue10
    2:05 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

10. they can practice against kenny payne… hes a pretty big guy, and marquis estill is now a member of the coaching staff, so im sure they will be alright in practice if they go that route

26. Lip set
    2:06 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

5). If Louisville could actually scored when they shoot…. They wouldn’t need to be so concerned with “rebounds”

27. Bruce Pearl's Squirrel
    2:13 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Rick Pitino thinks that Kevin Ware is the next Tony Delk, Chane Behanan is the next Jamal Mashburn and Fazoli’s is the next Porcini’s.

28. Head Bussa
    2:18 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Louisville fan is really going to the extreme talking about winning the rebound battle. Paul Brown once said, “If you win, don’t say anything. If you lose, say even less.”

29. Uk44cats
    2:30 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

I see the UL idiot quit responding.. Must be nap time for the little one!!

30. uk fan
    2:31 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Louisville fan is a Kentucky fan exhibiting what a traditional ul fan would say. otherwise they wouldn’t present themselves as Louisville fan.

31. western fan
    2:46 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

can’t we all get along? We should root for all Kentucky teams to succeed so our state will never have to argue its basketball dominance with others cough* cough* (north Carolina, Indiana, TN, etc..) UofL and UK only face each other once a year in a non conference game and possibly in the tournament so whats wrong with wishing them the best for the rest of the year? UK won the championship, why stoop to a low by talking down to others in your own backyard that were proven not to be as good as you? And im pretty sure if you compared the amount of “line beards” and “flat bills” present in the two fan bases it would be pretty darn close. Look at your own team dudes. Terrible post by the way.

32. Walsh is Gay
    2:49 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

I keep losing the KSR Writing Contests to writers like this? TT, Ally Tucker and Stuart Hammer I can take(and in fact thoroughly enjoy!), but this guy writes the way my sister tweets.

…that’s not a compliment.

33. Head Bussa
    3:15 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

33 — I appreciate what you’re doing with your blog, but don’t link me to your site just to read a story nearly a week old. If you want consistent hits, you need to write up-to-date articles.

34. Head Bussa
    3:18 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

31 — You don’t get it. I feel sorry for “fans” like you who doesn’t have the passionate hate that comes with our great rivalry with Louisville. The reason I feel sorry is because the rivalry cannot be as much fun for those like you as it is for those like me.

35. beeler
    3:35 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

mark my words! noel will never play a game at uk! another enes kanter.

36. Wrong
    3:57 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

30. You’re wrong… He’s definitely a UL fan

37. J A Brooks
    4:20 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Nick you’ve just inspired me to enter the next KSR writing contest. I just love your maticulous research

“Nerlens is VERY young (remember he reclassified)”

Nerlens is 18. He reclassified to his original class. He only dropped to a younger class due to an injury but eventually reclassifed back to his original class. He’s not VERY young at all, he’s the age of normal college freshmen.

WCS – Born 03/18/1993 (19 years old)
    Alex Poythress – Born 03/06/1994 (18 years old)
    Nerlens Noel – Born 04/10/1994 (18 years old)
    Archie Goodwin – Born 08/17/1994 (Just turned 18, youngest incoming freshman)

So he’s 4+ months older than Archie Goodwin, and about 34 days younger than Alex Poythress. You’re right though, he’s VERY young, just not young for a college freshman.

38. J A Brooks
    4:21 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

*meticulous

39. steve
    8:42 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

yo! louisville fan. you bring up cheating. hey dude,a man that will cheat on his wife and family will certainly cheat elsewhere. have you forgotten about rick on the restuarant table?

40. Katbluefan
    3:27 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

What happened to the kid that was Mr. Kentucky Basketball a couple yrs ago the Pitino was raving about ? I read that Pitino ran him off so that he could use his freeride on someone else. Sounds like a very cheap shot to me to do to a Mr. KY Basketball.

41. Allen Cutler's mustache
    7:33 am October 14, 2012 Permalink

Stein has a lot of work to do on defense. I am not worried. He will get there. Noel definately will only be at UK for one season, but I am sure glad he is here.