The Tribe Has Spoken

Well, it’s been about 24 hours since I posed the question “Who will you root for in the Midwest Regional Final?” With over 7,000 votes (and counting), here’s what y’all said:

Screen Shot 2013-03-31 at 9.26.20 AM

A few of you (well, nearly 200) left your opinions in the comments section as well. Here’s a smattering of what I considered to be the highlights:

TDOG Says:

IRAQ vs North Korea……really not sure who to root for.

I think you meant to post this on the CNN blog, TDOG.

Jon Says:

I’d rather see Rick win and give our in state rivalry the obvious top spot in the nation. Plus I don’t mind throwing those dogs a bone. I like talking trash to my ‘Ville friends and they like to do the same. Fuel to the fire. I can see nothing but good things for KY if they win. Plus I would love to stomp their team next year after they win a championship and win another one of our own.

imnoimnotthefiveo Says:

Personally myself, I’m hoping for an act of god to wipe out the gym. Probably not that bad but like a wormhole or something where both teams disappear never to be seen again. That’d be cool with me.

A wormhole is one of the more creative apocalyptic scenarios that has been suggested in the comments. That too, would be cool with me.

El Gato Says:

If you’re standing up to your neck in ______ and somebody throws a bucket of ______ at your face, do you duck? Some decisions can’t be made.

Wait, I need to know what you left out of the blanks. If you’re standing up to your neck in kittens and somebody throws a bucket of Cadbury eggs at your face, do you duck? Hell no! Open your mouth!

KCK Says:

If you live in the city of Louisville, this question is a no-brainer. For one day (and one day only) I’m a Cameron Crazy.

Big Blue Wampus Cat Says:

If Louisville is Little Brother then that means they are still family. A true kentucky fan will never cheer for Duke. Show some class BBN, show all those Louisville fans what true sportsmanship is, go Cards!

“We are family… I got all my sisters and me…”

gottodoit Says:

There is hate and there is hatred.

I hate Duke but I have a gut-gnawing hatred of Louisville.

Tomorrow, I’ll cheer for Duke.

Chicago Chris Says:

Hate Duke more and they don’t need to get closer to us in NCs. However, they’re more likely to NOT win it all. Tough choice.

Sammydog Says:

I will cheer for Duke. Did a test run last night during the Ducks game and had my mind “right” to cheer for the Cards. I was just going to suck it up and do it. You know; be a good Kentuckian, remember what Pitino did for us, Dieng is a sweet man, etc. My body just wouldn’t follow thru. Broke out in a cold sweat with the 1st attempt at “go Cards”. My mouth would not work. The more I tried, the more nauseated I got. Tried some Crown Royal with a malt chaser as an antidote. Didn’t work. I feel like such a failure and a bad person as well. Oh…..and I have a rash today.

Sammydog, I hope you’re feeling better. Please see a doctor if the rash persists. Keep us updated in graphic descriptions.

Kristen Geil’s Abs Says:

I would rather Duke win the next 5 NCAA championships that UL win tomorrow.

My abs have a mind of their own. However, I’m rooting against Duke the least today. So we’re on the same page there. PS Abs, I’m about to eat a lot of chocolate today, so try your best to hold it together. I don’t like looking bloated.

@KristenGeilKSR

Article written by Kristen Geil

38 Comments for The Tribe Has Spoken

1. Robster
    12:38 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Go DUKE !!!

2. STEVE!
    12:44 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I’ll root for Duke today, then root for Wichita State Saturday.

3. Rixter
    12:45 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I’m disappointed in Sammydog. Tattoos, a line beard, and a flat billed cap are absolute necessities to cheer for the dirty birds.

4. bosshogg24
    12:47 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

No True UK fan would ever root for Duke!

5. Rixter
    12:48 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

So, today’s game will be the only real obstacle Louisville will face on the road to the National Championship. 16 seed, 8 seed, 9 seed, 2 seed, then most likely a weak 4 seed that they’ve already blasted twice this year. Way to work hard for your ‘chip, guys.

6. Rixter
    12:48 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

No true UK fan would ever root for Louisville

7. Tony
    12:49 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I’m ashamed of 47% of you So CALLED UK fans…….you suck go pull for UL full time!!!

8. Tony
    12:50 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

This poll has thought me that 47% of the so called UK fans are FAKE’S

9. Tony
    12:53 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

So 47% of you SO CALLED UK fans are looking forward to going to work in the morning listening to your UL co workers talk all that smack…..or do 47% of you work in NC?

10. Eric K
    12:56 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I like the wormhole idea…. I WILL NEVER CHEER FOR LOSERVILLE/I WILL NEVER CHEER FOR PUKE!! Both teams can go to h-ll!! GO CATS!!

11. ROBERT MORRIS
    12:59 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

LOSERS should simply STFU and throw a few more players under the bus.

12. mikey
    1:05 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Was it Romney who said something about 47%. Surely that 47% is not the same as this 47%. Or is it?

13. Catfanjb
    1:06 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Ryan Harrow will transfer to Georgia State

14. Jim 1
    1:11 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Don’t ask me to root for a coach who called his first win over UK his greatest win. Even greater than your first and only NCAA championship you won while coaching
    at UK? Get real Ricky.

Another NCAA championship gives Ricky more bullets to shoot UK down to #2 in the Commonwealth. Should have stayed out of Ky instead of comming to coach our #1 enemy.

15. lloyd christmas
    1:12 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

#13 We landed on the moon.

16. WakeUp
    1:14 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Keep The Title In State. Louisville All The Way.Show Some Love To Lil Bro. Tru UK Fan Would Never & I Mean Ever Root For Duke.

17. Tis true
    1:15 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

If the Cats were playing Duke, who do you think UL fans would go for? Exactly. Can’t believe I’m saying it, but… but…. go Duke (this one time).

18. Class71
    1:16 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I hate Louisville. But I really, really hate Duke

19. Cowabunga Dude!
    1:17 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Shredder is going to beat Pitino

20. Cowabunga Dude!
    1:18 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

*Splinter

21. Frew Drunklin
    1:19 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

It’s kinda like double penetration. At first it’s awkward and uncomfortable but then you get use to it. Go Duke.

22. Boomerball48
    1:24 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Remember! Laetner went to Duke, and I still hate Laetner!

23. Taking troll bait
    1:29 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

11. Perhaps you are right. We should follow the example set by Louisville’s fans and coach over the past decade. No one has done bandwagoning and misplaced boasting better.

24. Taking troll bait
    1:30 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

*and showing current players the door when they no longer belong. Rick’s always been the best at that.

25. Wildcatfan812
    1:36 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I can almost guarantee that any of those posts that suggest we cheer for Louisville are made by UL trolls. As Bill Keightley once said…”I HATE Louisville!!”

26. Mack
    1:37 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

You are really not rooting for duke you are rooting for uofl not to win!

P.S. Sounds as if Sammydog went as far as he could, welcome back!

27. mike burks
    1:37 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Rixter said “No true UK fan can root fo U of L.” As a true UK fan I am rooting for U of L. When UK beat Uof L last year, most U of L fans rooted for UK. A win for them is great for our state and the UK/UofL rivalry.

28. Mack
    1:41 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I don’t want a “rivalry” with uofl I want the CATS to grind them into the dirt until they beg not to play any longer.

29. Rocky
    1:53 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Any UK fan that roots for Duke is a frigging idiot. They are an insult to the entire state. If Duke wins they will have beaten the teams of Kentucky three times this year; they will pass UK in # of final four appearances; and, it will prove that ESPN was right–and is right–in concentrating their energies on Tobacco Road instead of Kentucky.

K will have his 12th final four and move one win closer to passing Rupp in tournament titles.

Duke and UNC are UK’s main competition for prestige; not UL.

30. BigCat
    1:58 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Dont let Duke pass us up on Championships. Go Cards.

31. Bluekzu
    2:18 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

29. Very good point. Not sure I can be rational enough to implement this, but may have to rethink my position for a few minutes.

32. Lotta fakes on here
    2:19 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

True UK fans NEVER root for ghetto U. I would take a team of satan and bin laden over “da vile”. F%^# loserville they belong to indiana anyway so it won’t help the state. #FTC #FTV !!!

33. Rob
    2:48 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I have a strong dislike for Louisville but I LOATHE Duke and you never know the ville could still lose in the final 4. If Duke goes they will probably find a way to win.

34. Kenny H
    3:23 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

I do not hate Duke because of 1992. I hate Duke because of 1986. You could have prevented Lil Bro from winning their 2nd title. We have avenged 1992 in 1998. Now it it time for Duke to avenge 1986. Then tomorrow I can hate them both equally.

35. BourbonGirl
    4:42 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

The only hope is a huge sinkhole opens up and swallows both teams and they disappear into a black abyss..never to be heard from again!!

36. Woohop
    8:50 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Hard to believe that time would ever come when many UK fans would support Duke over anyone. Louisville is still a Kentucky team. Pitino deserves his victories and our support. You do remember who brought UK back from the dead………..or do you? I suppose “ignorance is bliss”. Realize this, Louisville’s success will end witH Pitino’s retirement. This year is tHeir last. Duke will be our enemy forever.

37. Clay
    9:45 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

The difference in Duke and Louisville made my decision easy. Duke is a class program with a few players that I have hated over the years. Louisville is a program will no campus life, a bunch of thugs on the roster, and the worst fair weather fans in the world. Sorry to see them beat Duke.

38. Peterman
    11:26 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

#36 You stated it perfectly.