The Town Crier’s Tuesday News and Views

BPzhhKFCMAItpBz

I’ll admit it–I got sucked into the Royal Baby watch on Monday. However, it wasn’t because of my biological clock or secret anglophilic tendencies; I tuned for the sheer absurdity of it all. Have we ever stopped to think about how odd the British monarchy is? Or for that matter, the British altogether. Don’t get me wrong, I am very happy that this 8 lb. 6 oz. baby boy is third in line to the throne and could maybe “rule” Britain when he’s old, but come on guys. Would the Prime Minister’s son get such an elaborate welcoming party? The British monarchy isn’t exactly what it was two hundred years ago. Yet, the city of London got itself into such a tizzy for this tot that they swarmed the gates of Buckingham Palace to see a framed birth announcement that didn’t even include the baby’s name. And then there was this guy, a self-proclaimed “Town Crier,” outside of the hospital where the prince was born:

The moment when the media realized the “Town Crier” was really just some random guy was priceless. He’s probably been wearing that outfit for a week now, camped outside the hospital just waiting for Kate Middleton to pop. This whole spectacle would be so much cooler if Kate and William would bring the baby out onto a balcony and hold him up Simba-style while Elton John played “Circle of Life” from a bedazzled piano. Instead, the British are crowding the streets of London singing, cheering, and pretending the monarchy is still relevant in modern times. I can only hope that Mark Stoops’ next child gets the same treatment from the BBN.

Cynicism aside, welcome to the world, Baby Prince of Cambridge. May you only be swaddled in silk diapers until your nannies convince your parents to let you wear normal Pampers.

News. Views.

— The biggest “news” of the day had to be Jeff Sheppard’s criticism of the one-and-done culture in college basketball. Over the weekend, Sheppard spoke at a UK convention in Franklin, Ohio, and said that he doesn’t like the one-and-done rule (who does?) and said that there’s currently “a little too much emphasis on celebrating first round draft picks” at Kentucky. He later tried to clarify those remarks to Kyle Tucker:

“I think the Kentucky fan in general likes players staying at Kentucky for longer than six or seven months. That’s all. I understand. Heck, if I was good enough to play for six or seven months at Kentucky and get a multi-million dollar contact, I’d have left to.”

So, on one hand, he’s criticizing the system and how it’s changed UK basketball, but on the other, he’s saying that if he were in the same situation as these players, he’d make the same decisions that he’s been criticizing? I love Jeff Sheppard, and he’s totally entitled to his own opinions, but that doesn’t add up. Also, it’s important to note that the biggest critic of the one-and-done system isn’t Jeff Sheppard–it’s John Calipari. But the mainstream media doesn’t want you to know that.

When asked about how things are at UK now as opposed to when he was playing, Sheppard said that his relationship with Coach Cal is very different than his relationship with Rick Pitino and for that reason, he would feel more comfortable in UofL’s basketball offices than in UK’s. He also joked that because Cal was the coach at UMass during his playing days, he was “the enemy.” Now, of course Sheppard feels closer to Pitino than Cal–Rick was his coach. That is perfectly understandable. But with the BBN, you’ve gotta choose your words wisely, something I bet Sheppard is well aware of after Monday.

Sheppard will call into the radio show tomorrow morning to discuss his comments about Cal and the one-and-done culture at UK, so be sure to tune in.

— Moving on, top 2014 target Emmanuel Mudiay posted his latest blog on USA Today’s website Monday and said that all of the drama surrounding Prime Prep has been cleared up, so there’s no need to worry about eligibility issues. Mudiay also insists that he’s going to give all of the schools recruiting him “a real look,” but later gushes about attending Big Blue Madness in October. It’s okay, Emmanuel–just wear that UK love right there on your sleeve. I won’t tell.

— Where in the world was John Calipari on Monday? Las Vegas watching Archie Goodwin play in the Summer League finals. Cal posted the picture above on Twitter Monday night and said that from the reports he’s gotten of Archie’s growth, he couldn’t be prouder. Archie did his best to impress his former coach, scoring 18 points. Eat they feet, haters?

— Raise your hand if you’re surprised that all charges against PJ Hairston were dismissed.

Thought so. So did PJ:

Screen shot 2013-07-22 at 4.00.26 PM

— Have you read Drew Franklin’s Team USA Mini-Camp Preview? If not, I suggest you start scrolling. The Mini-Camp started on Monday, and features John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. So far, we’ve heard DeMarcus Cousins tell reporters that he wants to stay in Sacramento and that his goal in the camp is to be “the best big man here.” When asked who his competition was, Boogie replied “nobody.” Attaboy.

— In football news, 3-star offensive tackle Brady Taylor tweeted that he will announce his college decision next Monday at 4 p.m. Kentucky’s one of the three finalists, along with West Virginia and Virginia Tech. Taylor visited Lexington over the weekend and had nothing but great things to say about his experience, so things are looking good for the Cats. Plus he’s from Ohio, and you know, Vince Marrow.

— On Tuesday, Mark Stoops heads to Bristol to make the rounds at ESPN’s annual “Car Wash” of SEC coaches, along with Guz Malzahn, Bret Bielema, Will Muschamp, Steve Spurrier and Butch Jones. Here’s Stoops’ schedule so you can watch him all day (all times Eastern):

11 a.m. — ESPNU College Football Podcast with Ivan Maisel
11:30 a.m. — ESPN.com chat (live)
Noon — College Football Insider with Travis Haney
12:45 p.m. — Digital Media room
1:15 p.m. — College GameDay
2:20 p.m. — College Football Live
3:20 p.m. — SportsCenter (tentatively live)

Spurrier’s going to be really pissed off when he finds out that the “car wash” refers to media rounds and not scantily-clad soapy co-eds.

john-ryan2john-ryan

— Last week, Drew told you about John Ryan Harris, a seven-month-old who was recently diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma, a rare form of cancer. Doctors believe the tumor is solely behind his eye and cannot be removed surgically so he’ll undergo a 42-week chemotherapy treatment. Many of you have been asking how to help John Ryan, and as a result, the family has set up a fund to pay for his medical expenses. So far, over $7,000 has been raised, which is close to the family’s goal of $10,000. If you’d like to learn more and donate to John Ryan’s cause, click here.

You got this, little buddy.

— Last but certainly not least, Matt and Ryan will be LIVE from my hometown of Danville, Kentucky for stop #17 of the KSR Tour of Affiliates. They’ll be taking over the Bluegrass Community Trust Bank, so if you’re in the area, stop by, say hello, and sign up for a chance to win two tickets to a home UK basketball game next season from GuyOnTheCornerTickets.com. Also, say hello to my mother and father, who will probably do their best to embarrass me. (Just kidding. Love you guys.)

I’ll leave you with this video by The Breedings, a brother and sister duo originally from Lexington whose new single “Calm” is generating some major buzz here in Nashville. Willie and his sister now live in Music City and are huge KSR fans. Sit back and let it take you into Tuesday.

44 Comments for The Town Crier’s Tuesday News and Views

1. Aaron C Bunch
    11:23 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

I think Jeff Sheppard is still hot. I would love to work out with him.

2. archie goodwin
    11:30 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Jeffrey is out for Jeffrey. Always has been He’s made a fortune off the UK logo,..but he loves to backstab the Cats every chance he gets. He’s very jealous,..a sad person. He was never even close to being good enough to play in the pros. Neither were many other Wildcats,..but none of them were so classless as to show their animosity and envy toward those that were that good And unlike Sheppard,….none of them were traitors.

3. SeaCat
    11:31 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

Tyler……
    i am hearing tiny little heart beats,
    deep inside you…
    its: blue, blue, blue, blue, blue….

4. SeaCat
    11:33 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

it’s: blue, blue, blue, blue, ad infinitum

5. TDog
    11:34 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

If PJ Hairston was on the UK roster he would have been banned from college basketball for life and UK would have received a 30 year postseason ban. The NCAA is ridiculous.

6. KYbo
    11:38 pm July 22, 2013 Permalink

If you want to hear a good duo from Kentucky, check out Sundy Best. #kinfolk

7. The Breeders
    12:01 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Let’s pretend it never happened.

8. Dan Issel
    12:02 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Treachery is not very becomming,Jeffrey. Envy, jealousy and hypocracy are equally unsightly. Course you were never very smart and you had no class,..and we all knew that. Where does that leave you then? Yep,…as an adopted Cardinal at best. Most of the BBN will certainly shun you at future events. I surely wouldn’t buy gear or a car from you. In fact, I would boo you!!!Your best bet would be to carry water for the Cards. Might be able to work your way up to ball boy or whatever. Just a suggestion. No need to thank me. I wish you the best.

9. Joint
    12:05 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

8) thats hitting the nail on the head

10. Hear yee, hear yee
    12:06 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Wrong TT the monarchy is very important to England…this baby will bring in an estimated $121 million to the British economy by doing nothing other than being born…people love Royalty and that generates economics.

11. BigBlueAces
    12:13 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

6. YES! As for Sheppard–it’s better to keep your mouth shut when you are treading in thin water. As for the Breedings–chick needs to lose the brother and go solo on….(rest left out so this doesn’t get deleted.)

12. 44 Stitches
    12:15 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

If you know or even remember ANYTHING about about the 1996 season of college basketball UMass was our enemy!!! Cal was the coach of that team cool and so be it. It was what it was. We WAXED louisville that yr and If you don’t get Sheppards joke then you are a EFFING backwoods, hillbilly, redneck, inbred that gives Kentucky a bad name outside of it who doesn’t know college B’ball from a his a’hole to a hole in the ground..

13. The Mean Lean
    12:33 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Forget about me already at Madness?

14. Dee W.
    12:45 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

“pretending the monarchy is still relevant in modern times.”

That’s not even close to being accurate, regardless of what our personal feelings may be as to the concept of monarchy.

15. memphiswildcat
    12:55 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Maybe I’m missing something on shepherd’s comments but I too think the one and done is bad but love what cal has done – is doing.

16. memphiswildcat
    12:57 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

I know its Sheppard but obviously auto correct does not….

17. roger
    1:21 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

It;s a sad state when one of the “heroes” gives an opinion and gets blasted for it. 1. He should feel closer to Pitino,he played for Pitino. In 1996, Cal was the enemy. He doesn’t like the one and done rule. I don;t either, Cal doesn’t and most of you don’t. He doesn’t like the rule because he thinks it is bad for college ball. Just because he said he would have taken advantage of the rule if he could have does not mean that “it doesn’t add up”. he isn’t criticizing the players themselves. So, that really leaves the comment “a little too much emphasis on celebrating first round draft picks” at Kentucky”. Hmm, he clarified that he wasn’t talking bout the fans. He even said at Kentucky, not in Kentucky. I like Coach Cal and I am sure glad he is our coach. However, I believe Shepherds statement may be true of Cal. When Cal made that statement about being the best night In UK history after the draft. Seems to me that he thinks all those first round draft picks were more important than all our championships. Does this make Coach Cal bad? No, he is entitled to that. He loves seeing his players become millionaires. However, Shepherd basically just said what Coach Cal has already confirmed and people are ready to boo him for it and wish him ill. I am proud to be a UK fan. Have been all my life and will continue to be. However, coming on here and reading the comments of a few of the fans makes it easy to understand why the UK fan base is looked down on by other schools. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

18. Jonah Hex
    1:34 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Went to UK with Erin, we had a lot of the same friends in ADPI and SAE. I wish her nothing but the. best, she is awesome.

19. HoustonCat
    2:16 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

My prayers to John Ryan Harris…. by far the most important subject in this article. Thank you KSR for sharing this news.

20. Jimmy
    2:22 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

“This whole spectacle would be so much cooler if Kate and William would bring the baby out onto a balcony and hold him up Simba-style while Elton John played “Circle of Life” from a bedazzled piano.”
    CLASSIC

21. 1776
    4:58 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

The Revilution says we don’t have to care about the stupid royal baby

22. yesterday's wine
    5:18 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

17, well said.

23. That's funny
    5:30 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

I know I’m not the only one that finds it ironic that a brother sister duo from Kentucky is called the breedings.

24. BurnerTurner5
    5:45 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

There’s a lot the lamestream media doesn’t want you to know.

25. Matt Jones
    5:57 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Cal was not the enema back in 1996
    I was rooting for UM-ASS back then because I knew some day Cal will be hear
    I was always complimentary when he was at Memphis State
    Never suspected that Mrs Thompson lives in Nashville

26. Reality
    6:37 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

99% of UK fans felt the same way when Cal was at Memphis.

Then Billy G ran the program into the ground and all the sudden Cal & WWW were geniuses.

Matt thought Cal was a cheater. Has he ever told Cal he was sorry to his face and shown him all the things he said about him?

27. timer
    6:37 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

A lot of folks don’t remember that Coach Cal beat Petino and one of the best UK teams ever that year – soundly. And he would have beat Petino again in the tournament game if the ref hadn’t T’d him up for getting one step out of the coaching box late in the game.

28. Yep
    7:49 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

North Carolina has Eric Church. Arkansas has Jake Owen. Georgia has Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan and Brantley Gilbert. Florida and Georgia share the Florida Georgia Line. Here in Kentucky we have John Lennon and his hot sister.

29. EFFING backwoods, hillbilly, redneck, inbred that gives Kentucky a bad name
    8:09 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

12- How was UMass our enemy? Because they beat us? If anyone was “the enemy” that year it would have been Dampier, Jones and Bullard of MSU. At least they were a conference rival and they beat us too. Cal was never the enemy

30. angle
    8:26 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

i guess The Civil Wars didn’t corner the market on hot singer / scraggly accompaniment duo ?

31. I'm gonna be honest,
    8:26 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

I won’t lie. I was NOT a fan of Calipari at Memphis. Well, except for when D-Wash Jr played there, gotta say I love what Cal did for him. I even rooted for Kansas during the DRose choke game (was a huge Mario Chalmers fan while he was at Kansas.)However I can’t comment on the UMass days because I was only 4. But I got to say that its all about perception and what your team’s coach’s philosphy is at whatever point in time. I’m not a fan of the One and Done Rule, but I can live with it. I like to see players stick around but im not butthurt when they don’t. Though Doron Lamb did kinda hurt my feelings not coming back lol jk ( I actually predicted when he committed he would play a major role in us win a championship, probably my favorite Cal kid so far.) My point is, we can’t be mad these kids are taking the route they are. We should just appreciate them coming here. They could go anywhere but they choose the BBN and what we can do for them as fans by being the best fanbase in sports. UK fans are fans of UK players for life. If Jeff can’t get behind these kids then he should just buzz off.

32. Musehobo
    8:29 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

For those of you defending Sheppard, I feel that you just don’t get it. It’s not that he feels more comfortable with Rick (we get that, it makes sense), it’s that he uses the term “UL locker room” instead. He has to know how that makes the BBN feel. It’s not that he criticized the one-and-done rule; Cal and many of us hate that too. It’s that he criticized how Cal is recruiting through it. It’s not just that he expressed his opinion, it’s that he dragged us into it by acting like most of us agree. And people, come on. The draft pick comment..after the first draft, Cal made the infamous “greatest day” statement. At the time we were all like “Ummm…Cal…I don’t think so buddy”. But we didn’t understand what he meant. He knew that this would become where all the top talent wanted to be, to get to the NBA…so we could have talented players…so we could win championships. Sure Cal wants to send players to the NBA. But he also likes coaching the best, giving us a shot at another national championship. NBA talent will help us do that.

People, Shep chose the words he wanted to use. Most people think that words are important to understanding meaning. Doesn’t it seem that Sheppard isn’t really happy with the UK program right now, and was using language to subtly speak out against it? Come on folks. He messed up.

33. Me
    8:46 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Who gives a sh*t what Jeff said. Gezzz. Lighten up, folks

34. Richmond
    8:52 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

But Mrs. TT, Willie Breeding was born from within my loins. Why you gotta do Madison County like that?

35. Rockfield, KY
    8:55 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

28. Jake Owen is from Florida. Vero Beach, I believe.

Everyone go on to Fundly and donate for John Ryan. Let’s take care of the family. The minimum donation is only $10. Just have 2 less beers at Tin Roof this weekend.

36. RoyalBlues
    9:03 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

I think Sheppard’s contradicting statements do “add up”. On one hand he puts himself into the shoes of a UK fan, and on the other he puts himself in the NIKEs of a top recruited UK player. They’re completely different views, and he’s just being honest.

37. Brandon Harris
    9:04 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the post on my son John Ryan. He starts his chemo today. Please keep him in your prayers BBN!

38. RahRah
    9:15 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Prayers for John Ryan and his family. He’s adorable. Please keep us posted on his condition.

39. Delk for 3
    9:42 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

29 — UMASS and Cal were a big-time enemy of our 1996 team. They not only beat us at the beginning of the season, we had a pretty close re-match against them in the Final 4 later that year. Sure, Miss. St. was an enemy as well, but you can have more than one enemy.

40. Delk for 3
    9:45 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

I just don’t like Jeff Sheppard anymore. I loved him as a player here, but I don’t like him anymore.

41. Lets review
    10:02 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

1. Seeing as how I didn’t even know Kate was pregnant until a few weeks ago- who cares what goes on across the pond. Zzzz

2. Jeff Sheppard should have kept to the question and not gone into what he did about the “ul basketball offices”. Come on… You can’t tell me as a UK grad that spent “4 years” here he didn’t know that UK fans NEVER take kindly to any positive loserville publicity especially from one of our own. He was a beloved player for the program no doubt, but when you say $hit like that you bring yourself down the ladder a few rungs FOR SURE.

3. Emmanuel Mudiay will have a blast at BBM this year. It will be packed. It will be loud. It will be the gold standard for the 1st practice. Get that kid a LOI and a UK hat…. Dead giveaway.

4. If you can look at pj’s twitter smirk and not want to punch him in the face until your hand breaks go ahead and check your BBN card at the door on the way out. That kid better be on his hands and knees thanking God that the game isn’t at RUPP this year.

5. Go team USA! That being said… Is it COLLEGE basketball season yet?!

6. It would be nice to get Brady Taylor. It would be REALLY nice to get Nick Richardson as well.

7. STOOOOPS!!!

8. Can’t pray hard enough for little J R Harris. Future member of BBN right there.

9. If you watched the girl in the breedings video and aren’t sporting wood, please consult a physician.

42. Depressed
    10:15 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

That song was super depressing. Thank you

43. LoveKY
    10:30 am July 23, 2013 Permalink

Love the Breedings! Saw them live and heard their new album which one of my favorites of this year!

44. DickenOscar
    12:11 pm July 23, 2013 Permalink

41-2 I believe Sheppard spent “5 years” here.