The Top 10 TV Shows of All Time’s Monday News and Views

6a00d834518cc969e200e54f85f2a08834-800wi

This has been a weekend devoid of news. Because it was a 4 day trip helping us celebrate our nation’s founding, this shouldn’t be surprising. But for those of us who run a UK website, such period of inactivity can be difficult. So I spent part of the weekend re-watching my favorite all-time television show, only to also realize that it made the Entertainment Weekly List of the Top 100 Shows in Television History. The ranking, which was included in a magazine that also ranked movies, albums and books, is sure to spark debate (and we will deal with the other lists at another time), but generally I thought it was a well-done ranking. Here were the top 10 (THEIR LIST, NOT MINE), with some comments from me:

1. The Wire: Hands down, in my opinion, the best show that has ever been on television. I have watched season 1 completely through six times, the last of which was again this past week. The Wire goes through five seasons, touching on numerous aspects of life in Baltimore. You probably know it for the drug culture (with characters like Stringer Bell, Omar and the Barksdales), but it also hits politics, education, the media, unions, police and much more. There are literally 40 scenes in this show that I can picture vividly and I pick up some new nuance every time I watch. It is the best show ever made, and in my view, nothing is close. Watch it if you have never done so.

2. The Simpsons: Can’t really argue with this one either. While the series isn’t quite what it once was, it is still on television nearly 25 years after it premiered. That is astounding. The show gave us what I would argue is the best comedic character in tv history, Homer, and has over the years had the most consistently clever writing of any show. I admit, I don’t watch it now, but mainly because I forget it is on. But the best episodes (MONORAIL!) can still make me laugh as much as any show ever.

3. Seinfeld: No show with one exception (see below) is better to watch on reruns than Seinfeld. Every episode has funny scenes and no show has ever had more parts that become applicable (and memorable) during your everyday life than this one. Whether it is “Master of your Domain”, “Not that there is anything wrong with that”, “Yada Yada Yada” or “that is one magic loogie”, quotable Seinfeld lines are second only to Caddyshack for consistent everyday usage.

4. Mary Tyler Moore: Before my time so I know little about it. I do know that it was the best portrayal of a working woman ever and my mom loved it. But for me, I have to pass…I am sure it should be here on the list, but I can’t say that I have seen more than a few minutes of any episode.

5. The Sopranos: I am in total agreement with this show’s spot as the #2 drama on the list. The Sopranos changed television forever. It was a show that looked like a movie, with deep character development and all of the standard television storytelling formulas thrown out the window. It was so well done, so real (and yes explicit) that it made all other tv dramas of the era seem like cotton candy. Long live Tony Soprano.

6. All in the Family: Another show not of my era, but one with which I am a bit more familiar. It was the best formulation of a certain era, the 70s culture clash, and it resonates more with those that lives through those generational fights. It was also the last time an absolute bigot would be on a tv series, while also somehow being lovable. Extremely well done.

7. The Andy Griffith Show: What is the genius of Andy Griffith? I could watch it with my most hilarious, sarcastic friends (Turkey Hunter, Drew Franklin, etc), my fellow radio hosts or even my grandmother and all of us would find something about the show funny and watchable. Barney Fife is the best human character in comedy history and his antics paved the way for later versions such as Kramer. I have seen every episode at least five times and would watch them all again in a heartbeat. If you know the response when Goober says hey, then you and I are friends.

8. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Never seen one episode and was surprised it was on the list this high. But I guess all we see in movies and tv now is vampires and zombies and this show is probably the modern starting point. But someone will have to explain to me why it is good because no show on the list have I seen less.

9. Mad Men: Another great modern show, with a lead character you hate, envy and find fascinating, all at the same time. Dom Draper is what men wanted to be in the 1960s and the show follows his change during the most tumultuous times of the post-WWII era. It occasionally gets a little to full of itself and trippy (the LSD episode is virtually Greek), but it is also unbelievably well made, looks great and never ceases to give a surprise.

10. Your Show of Shows: Ok the list gets me here. This was on from 1950-1954 and was a variety show. I saw one episode once on Nick at Nite. I am sure Sid Caeser was great, but you will have to ask your grandparents to confirm.

So there you go, the next 10 includes greats like Cosby, The British Office, SNL, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development and Cheers. But that is a discussion for another day. The list however is right there for me, I would go Wire, Andy Griffith, Sopranos, Seinfeld, Simpsons, Breaking Bad, Curb Your Enthusiasm, British Office, Friday Night Lights, Larry Sanders. But I won’t complain about EW’s work either. A good argument for everyone on a Monday morning. Before we move on, a picture from that magazine of George Clooney, circa ER days, balling in some UK shorts:

BOmywB6CEAAv7ED.jpg-large

To the (limited) UK news:

— The big news this week is the most important week (thus far) of 2014 UK basketball recruiting with the Peach Jam. The event in Augusta, Georgia (technically, North Augusta, SC, but I get out of there as quickly as possible) is my favorite of the summer and is the one place that you can find the entirety of the college basketball royalty, coaches, players and media, in one spot. This year, the event takes on a bit of added importance due to Kentucky’s status in 2014 recruiting. It is not that UK is situated poorly, they clearly are not, but they aren’t the certain holders of a fifth straight #1 recruiting class like some would expect. The Scout.com Top 20 Players List is as follows:

1. Jahlil Okafor (C)
2. Tyus Jones (PG)
3. Emmanual Mudiay (PG)
4. Cliff Alexander (F)
5. Trey Lyles (F)
6. Myles Turner (C)
7. Rashad Vaughn (G)
8. Stanley Johnson (F)
9. Karl Towns (C)
10. Justin Jackson (F)

In normal years, UK would have three or four of these guys on lock. But that isn’t quite the case this year. UK still has a commitment from Towns and looks good with others, but there are still questions. Okafor and Jones are going to the same school (at least they say) and most believe that won’t be Kentucky…we shall see. I like where the Cats stand with Mudiay, but they also have another PG target (Josh Perkins…ranked 28) that they like and will decide at the end of August. Can they get both guys for a Bledsoe/Wall thing? Do you take Perkins and hope with Mudiay? There was a time Lyles seemed like a sure thing for UK, but now UL is in the mix. Alexander is either UK or Mich State (most like the Spartans’ odds), while Vaughn/Johnson could both end up in Blue (Johnson announced this weekend that he is visiting Big Blue Madness). Either way, chances are whoever gets the Okafor/Jones pairing gets the #1 class and UK has a bit more uncertainty than is usual at this time. But this week is often a week where things clear up (it was this week last year when Young to UK became very likely and Randle started getting closer to the Cats as well). Hopefully similar news comes this week.

BNnyIvFCEAEJh3K.jpg-large

A blast from the KSR past…with news that John Wall is posing nude in the ESPN “Body” Issue, a picture from a couple years back in the KSR “Body” Issue of Rick and his favorite writer

— We may also get news this week about the future of Kyle Wiltjer. As we talked about here on Friday night, there is a lot of speculation that Wiltjer is having serious second thoughts about his decision to leave. Sources told KSR on Friday that Witljer visited Gonzaga with a mindset to potentially commit, but then didn’t on his visit. Could it be lack of facilities, missing his Lexington home or the 2-1 guys to girls ratio on the Zags’ campus? Who knows, but what is clear is that he has had second thoughts. Now Wiltjer has spent this week with his Canada national team, and that includes Gonzaga players, so the tide might turn again. But going into this weekend. Witljer was still undecided. We might find out this week if the WBA member who we thought was already gone, could potentially return again.

IMG_3862

Brit Andy Murray (or to be more precise, Scot Andy Murray) ended a 77 year British drought in winning Wimbledon. To celebrate, a UK fan throwing up the goggles in merry old England

— UK may get a #Yahtzee on Tuesday night as WR TV Williams decides between Kentucky and Nebraska. Most of the Texas WR’s comments have seemed to suggest that UK will be the pick and many on the Nebraska side are all but conceding the race. If the Cats get Williams, it will mean that all but a couple of slots on the team for skill players will be taken and the last few commits can be the big hosses on the line and potential stars that break late. The best recruiting class in UK history is assembling and Tuesday night, another piece could come join as well.

There is a LOT going on this week…me, Drew and Tomlin head to the Peach Jam, the KSR Tour is still floating around (LONDON in the morning) and much more. Below you can see the crowd at our last stop in Somerset: IMG_1318

Hope you can join us at either London or Monticello this week or as we head West next week. If you applied to be a KSR writer, those for the Culture/non-UK sports that are finalists should have an email tonight. Those for the regular spots have still not been completely sorted through (we had over 300 applicants!) and hopefully will be this week. Thanks to everyone…it has been a long process, in part because of numbers, but also because of quality. We have a lot of really talented folks out there and even if you aren’t picked for this, make sure and try and get your voices heard or apply again next time. On Tuesday, Doug Gottlieb is coming on the radio to talk about the upcoming college basketball season (be nice…Doug is a good radio guest, even when we disagree). I am sure his insight will be interesting and if you don’t like it, give a better response than the young man below. Have a big Monday! ku-xlarge

Article written by Matt Jones

92 Comments for The Top 10 TV Shows of All Time’s Monday News and Views

1. Marcus L Owens
    10:07 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

The Peach Jam is held in North Augusta, SC.

2. kentuckyjoe
    10:09 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

The best thing I’ve seen on TV was a five part mini-series. Lonesome Dove. The book and the TV adaptation were both total masterpieces.

3. STAY.
    10:23 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

it didn’t work for LA and DHoward … but maybe it will for Wiltjer. I wanted him to be the next Pale Rider since he signed.

4. RKA
    10:25 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

That kid is really going to regret that one day.

5. HillbillyInBC
    10:27 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

“Witljer” is the new “Wloy”.

6. Boogie Fan
    10:27 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Is the 2014 class regarded as better than ’12 but not as good as ’13?

7. Andy
    10:28 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Hey to Goober

8. Dave
    10:28 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Got it totally wrong on the show rankings. Seinfeld is the clear number one. The Wire? I’ve barely heard of it. Simpsons is good but it’s animated and has more limited appeal.

9. Michael
    10:29 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Every time I watch Mad Men I find myself gawking over January Jones.

10. Earache
    10:31 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Hey to Goober.

11. Teachable Mo'
    10:32 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Whither The Muppet Show and Arrested Development?

12. Matt Jones
    10:34 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

#8 just because you have never heard of it, doesn’t mean it isn’t great. Expand your horizons my friend

13. Kevin
    10:39 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Any list that doesn’t include M*A*S*H* in the top three is clearly deficient and not worth the time expended to generate the list.

14. Wire
    10:50 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

The Inner- Harbor!!!

15. Deacon
    10:54 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Newer show, but I’ve enjoyed the first several seasons of Justified, based in, but not filmed in, KY.

Off topic, but Matt what are your thoughts on info starting to emerge on UNC / P.J. Hairston scandal and the fact it is message board posters who are uncovering the dirt?

16. Ralph
    10:59 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Lost, Arrested Development, Breaking Bad, Dexter…..

17. ukfan
    11:00 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

If we get Emanual Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Trey Lyles and/or Myles Turner and Karl Towns how is that not the number 1 class? And IMO we get all 5…

18. Hawkeye
    11:04 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Thank you Kevin. You know good TV when you see it.

19. Festivus for the Restofus
    11:04 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Seinfeld gets my vote for number one. That kid looks a little young to be doing that. I hope he doesn’t grow up to be a punk. Odds are not in his favor.

20. Hawkeye
    11:06 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Kevin you couldn’t be more correct… MASH was the best!

21. Thw Gza
    11:06 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

If you don’t agree, you’re a ‘hater.’

KayEssArrgh

22. marvelous
    11:09 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Mathew have you not watched game of thrones? It’s absolutely spectacular

23. Hawkeye
    11:09 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Lol 18 you beat me to it

24. WGY944
    11:17 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

SCTV…..a parody of the greatest parody (television) ever produced!

25. Awaiting Moderation
    11:20 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Ok one of the best/most popular shows on right now is The Walking Dead…. And cool thing is that the comic books that the show is based off of is written by a guy from Cynthiana, KY

26. Catfan33
    11:22 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

First Any true fan of Andy would never have his show at # 7 and you obviously have never watched Breaking Bad

27. Michael Scott
    11:22 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

If your a comedy fan I think you gotta have the office(us) in your top 10

28. Dee W.
    11:23 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

It’d be difficult to do this as a top 10…especially with so many genres. Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy have always been on the air on some station or the other since they started I believe. Those are comedies, obviously. Then you have mystery dramas like Matlock, Diagnosis Murder, Perry Mason, and Murder She Wrote. Matt, as far as Mary Tyler Moore that’s a good show – it is probably on your local TV stations on one of the sub channels along with a lot of other classic shows from ‘before our time’ – but since you haven’t seen them, it’s new to us – watch and you might enjoy. I’ve found a lot of these older shows better than what we have on now…appears to have a lot more genuine talent and story than the over dramatized stuff on now and crass excuses of ‘humor’ we have now.

Anyway, on the topic of the Andy Griffith Show:

29. Matt Jones
    11:28 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

#26 you clearly didn’t read the post. I didn’t make the list and in my list, Breaking Bad is on it. Thanks

30. Awaiting Moderation
    11:28 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

And by the way, we will still have the class…. Duke will the duo but thwy are not in it any other to 15 guy… Cal will end up with this:

Pg: Mudiay and maybe even Perkins too
    Sg: Rashad Vaughn or Devin Booker
    Sf: stanley johnson
    Pf/c: 2 or 3 of Lyles, Victor, Alexander, turner

Plus Karl Towns

Thats 6 or 7 top 25 players… 3-5 being in the top 10… How does that not equate to a #1 class?

31. UKFan25
    11:32 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky’s very own Kentucky Travelers made it to the Peach Jam. Out of the 40 teams, they made the cut. The team consists of our instate talent and during pool play beat Mac Irvin Fire who has Cliff Alexander and Okafor. They need a story on here and they deserve it!

32. SeaCat
    11:34 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

29, Matt, glad you saved yourself,
    Breaking Bad is outstanding.

33. Catfan33
    11:34 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

No I did not read every word and I missed your un-highlighted/bold list. Sorry for my oversite.

34. UKFan25
    11:40 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

They also need all the support they can get down in Georgia! These guys have worked their tails off from day one! Just a few names on the team are Ray Spaulding, James Bolden, Justin Johnson, Cameron Justice, Jackson Davis, and Braxton Beverly.

35. Jen
    11:50 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

17 & 30: You two are likely correct. We’re in great shape and will likely have the top class. I don’t see Mudiay, Booker and Johnson turning us down after BBM. Maybe some of the others will wait until the spring to see who leaves, but when the dust settles we’ll be on top again.

36. Y***tzee
    11:52 pm July 7, 2013 Permalink

Seriously? The Wire? Not a chance that it’s the goat. Not even the best from HBO.

37. tvwatcherinthe70s
    12:06 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

The top 2 shows when I was growing up in the 70’s was the Partridge Family and the Brady Bunch….Definitely TOP 10. lol….

38. Mc
    12:17 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Bizarre to see Buffy ahead of Cheers, M*A*S*H, I Love Lucy, Friends, Roseanne, SNL, The Golden Girls as well as many, many others. Right now a really funny show is The League. It’s interesting that it’s target audience would seem to be men who play fantasy football, but I know a lot of women that really enjoy the show too. There are a lot of good shows that seem to get the axe thanks to “reality” shows. I’ll check out the Wire though. Thanks.

39. Frew Drunklin
    12:24 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

You forgot Night Rider, Hogan’s Heroes, The Chevy Chase Show, B.J. and the Bear, and Baywatch

40. Wildcat Willie
    12:34 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

I plan on watching the wire. For me Sopranos is a clear #1. I don’t get how people rate the British office better than the American version. I’ve watched both and prefer Steve Carell and the American show 10-1. I would put American Office in my top 5 all time maybe as high as #2 just because I can re watch episodes countless times and still laugh and enjoy them.

41. Wildcat Willie
    12:49 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Hard to combine all shows in a top 10 lost but I would rank mine Sopranos; breaking Bad; the Office American; andy griffith; friends; everybody loves Raymond; justified; game of thrones; walking dead; true blood. I still want to see the wire, dexter, boardwalk empire, all of arrested development just seen ssn 1 so far

42. Usernametaken
    12:58 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Buffy seasons 1-5 (6 and 7 slipped) had some of the deepest writing I’ve ever seen on television with seasons 2, 3, and 5 being the cream of the crop. Plus, the creativity was sky-high. Don’t be fooled by what you perceive as it’s subject matter. There was a lot more going on than just teens, vampires, and other monsters. The show didn’t take itself too seriously, but when it did get serious, it was deadly serious. There were topics of death (naturally), philosophy, religion, science, and all the other good stuff but without much preaching. This post barely scratches the show’s surface, but the Buffy the Vampire Slayer was excellent.

43. Bob in J-town
    1:14 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

1-The Sopranos, 2-Andy, 3- Dexter, 4-Seinfeld, 5-The wire, 6-All in the Family, 7-Breaking Bad, 8-Deadwood, 9-30 Rock, 10- The Larry Sanders Show.

44. SeaCat
    1:28 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt, you are doing great work!!!
    Fantastic work!!!
    If you are feeling down, I can help.
    Email me, it’s free help.

45. HB
    1:29 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt, I think you personally will have a hard time getting past the fantasy theme of Buffy, but it was a great show. Great writing, great acting, great drama, and very clever dialogue too. It was created by the guy who later did the Avengers, Joss Whedon. Joss has a hugely devoted cult following for his TV shows, such as Firefly, Dollhouse, and the Buffy spinoff, Angel. I think Buffy gets some halo effect from the rest of Joss’s body of work.
    Agreed that The Wire is #1 and not even close.

46. WHAT?
    1:48 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

The Andy Griffith Show 7th? heck no, good clean show something you can’t find anymore on tv, The Simpsons is really a boring show, same crap every show I never even thought it was funny. And don’t forget about Duck Dynasty! But I’m trying to watch UK sports so I don’t watch many shows.

47. rj
    5:53 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

also the Lawrence welk show, wild kingdom, and hee haw, that’s not drew, the kid is just showing us what drew does to make extra money.

48. Jackass Plumber
    6:33 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Seriously? No Saved by the Bell?

49. timer
    6:39 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Rawhide, Frasier, Hill Street Blues, Gunsmoke, Tom and Jerry, Johnny Carson, Duck Dynasty, Mindy Shannon’s Newscasts on WLEX back in the day, MASH, and The Andy Griffith Show.

50. WalkersGoggles
    7:30 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

I still can’t figure out this love people have w Buffy. The episodes I’ve seen were pretty lame .

51. SeoulCat
    7:48 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

What a lowbrow list (save a couple entries). Give me The Dick Cavett Show, What’s My Line?, Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Charlie Rose, and でぶや.

52. James
    7:59 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

1. The Sopranos 2. The Simpsons 3. Game of Thrones 4. Seinfeld 5. The Wire 6. Mad Men 7. Andy Griffith 8. MASH 9. The Walking Dead 10. Breaking Bad

53. jpizzle
    8:03 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Mary Tyler Moore show was brilliant! I watch them still from time to time and they are still really funny. I will check the list out. Since it’s top 100 I expect to see some other “classics” from the ’70s like Carol Burnett and Barney Miller. As for dramas, Sons of Anarchy has got to be high on the list. Breaking Bad and the Wire also are very good but it’s SOA that gets my blood pumping

54. Porcino's
    8:17 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Any list that doesn’t have “The Wire” and “Breaking Bad” as the top two shows (either of them could be #1, it’s a wash), is completely invalid.

55. What in the world are you talking about Willis?
    8:22 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Yep.

56. Jack Bauer
    8:24 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

The show “24” is the greatest tv show known to man. That is all

57. Andrew
    8:27 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

The only reason the British “Office” is up there is because the US version was so successful. The British version was only around for 2 seasons.

58. Turry
    8:48 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

The sea was angry that day my friends. Like an old man sending soup back at a deli. Sopranos should be #1 and dexter should be close to that.

59. CATandMONKEY
    8:50 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

British (Original) version of The Office >>>>>>>>> American iteration of The Office.
    The concept of a heliocentric solar system is actually a more debatable topic.

60. clam
    9:16 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

I would suggest that you spend less time watching a piece of furniture . There are many nice things in the real world.

61. cracka
    9:23 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

my favorite at the moment is easily walking dead, but i can understand that it doesn’t have the ability to appeal to a wide range of viewers, my wife won’t even give it a chance because of the gory scenes

i don’t see how they don’t have friends in their top 10, it wasn’t my favorite, but seemed to clearly be america’s favorite show for a pretty good string of years

62. cracka
    9:24 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

and i’ve never even heard of the wire, i’ll have to dl the first season and give it a shot

63. Dumb
    9:35 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt jones, your taste in shows is bad. Bad bad bad. If you think the wire is the greatest show ever then it is you who needs your horizons broadened. Your site sucks btw. Liberal douchebags

64. Delk for 3
    9:52 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Breaking Bad is my clear No. 1 show. It’s just so freakin’ entertaining. I like “The Wire”, but I don’t rank it as high as some do. I found myself bored at some points throughout the seasons. I never found myself bored watching “Breaking Bad.”

65. brain
    9:53 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

The Shield.

66. UK#9
    9:56 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

1. Breaking Bad
    2. Seinfeld
    3. Sopranos

67. J.T.
    9:56 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

That list sucks! Any list that doesn’t have “Seinfeld” at #1 and also does not include “The Big Bang Theory” in the top 10, yet includes shows like “Buffy”, and “The Wire” is automatically disqualified from being taken seriously. The real list should go like this: 1. “Seinfeld” (hands down), 2. “The Sopranos”, 3. “All in the Family”, 4. “The Big Bang Theory” (once this show is over and done with, it will rival “Seinfeld” as the greatest and most re-watchable TV show ever), 5. “The Simpsons”, 6. “The Andy Griffith Show”, 7. “Dallas”, 8. “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”, 9. “Gunsmoke”, 10. “Newhart”. Almost made the cut: “Breaking Bad”, “The X-Files”, “Mad Men”, “The Walking Dead”, “Murder, She Wrote”, “Deadwood”, and “ER”.

68. Delk for 3
    9:56 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

One of the best shows currently on is “Person of Interest.” Season 1 of “Person of Interest” was incredible. Season 2 is pretty damn good, too. Jim Caviezel is playing the part of John Reese — a Jason Bourne type — and he is doing as good a job acting as anybody on TV.

69. Delk for 3
    9:58 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

68 — The Big Bang Theory is pretty damn funny and has a great cast of characters.

70. J.T.
    10:06 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Actually, meant to put “M*A*S*H” in at #10. Not sure what kind of brain fart led to me putting “Newhart” in there instead.

71. J.T.
    10:07 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

70 – Hell yeah it’s pretty damn funny, and it resonates with many different classes of people, despite the subject matter and sometimes unintelligable genius-speak.

72. Sheeeeiiit
    10:22 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

The Wire was great but a bit over loved now, IMO.
    Lost and Friday Night Lights deserve spots on that list over Buffy.
    Dexter does NOT deserve to be on a top 10 list. I am a fan of Dexter but come on.

If you want a damn good show watch LUTHER. It’s got some great acting and a good story.

73. BAdams
    10:28 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Seinfeld was terrible. Nothing funny about Jerry Seinfeld except his appearance.

74. Omar
    10:33 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

The wire is without a doubt the best show ever. It is not even close. Watch the show!!

75. Ukbradstith
    10:47 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

I agree, Twilight zone, original of course, has to be in any top ten. It’s really hard to mix sitcoms and dramas when making a list…but Andy, Seinfeld, and the office (us version) are shows that never seem to get old no matter how many times you’ve seen the episode.

76. Mike
    10:53 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Buffy should be Top 5. Joss Whedon’s best thing he’s done. Great cast, characters, and writing. People ignore it because of the name.

77. jhnny
    11:00 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Buffy is to TV shows what UK is to basketball. It was incredibly well written, witty, and uniquely used the genre as a metaphor for everyday life (unique at least at the time). Matt, you would do yourself a big favor by watching some episodes on Netflix. Unfortunately, you have to start with season 1 to understand the background, but IMO it was the weakest season. Its gets progressively better after that (sorry to those fellow Buffy fans who love season one).

Also- to those who love the Twilight Zone-which I love- the problem with it: there were WAAAAY too many clunkers over its 5 seasons.

78. Bob
    11:26 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

Buffy hands down. There’s something incredibly sexy about a chick who can kick your ass and make you like it.

79. Mike
    11:37 am July 8, 2013 Permalink

78, I agree, but S6 and S7 were kinda stinkers. S1-5 were great IMO. Joss planned on ending it after S5, and it would have been a rational, though sad end if it did. And you are also right about TWZ. Some great episodes, but probably more clinkers.

80. bung
    12:12 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

The Waltons…

81. Millie
    2:10 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

My husband loves The Wire. I hate The Wire. That is all.

82. Teachable Mo'
    3:07 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

re: 82

I didn’t hate The Wire. It was just relentlessly depressing. Art shouldn’t be depressing — that’s what we’ve got Life for.

83. Xander Harris
    3:38 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is definitely in my top 5 shows of all time. Joss Whedon’s writing is hilarious. Each episode has so many small quirks and throw away lines, I hear something new each time. My tow favorite episodes are “Once More with Feeling”, the musical episode and “Hush”, the episode where everyone in town loses their voice to the Gentlemen.

84. Wash
    3:39 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

“Firefly” is the best show to ever go just one season

85. Best shows

Arrested Development
    Friends
    Saturday Night Live
    The X-Files
    Northern Exposure
    Monty Python’s Flying Circus

That is THE list, and no debates are permitted.

87. Mike
    6:29 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Well, I already screwed up, because I left out Game of Thrones. That replaces Modern Family.

88. matt is we todd did
    7:02 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

seriously matt – not putting breaking bad in the top 3 is bad enough, but not even top 10? i thought you had more brains than that

89. matt is we todd did
    7:04 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

mary tyler moore and buffy the vampire slayer are you FU(KING KIDDING ME?? pathetic

90. I've Seen Ashley Naked
    7:04 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

How in god’s name can you leave off Frazier ?? The best-written show in TV history ??

91. I've Seen Ashley Naked
    7:05 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Or is that Frasier ????

92. I've Seen Ashley Naked
    7:07 pm July 8, 2013 Permalink

Also……Breaking Bad has to be listed, and frankly a damned strong case could be made for 24, Entourage, Boston Legal……..