The Titanic’s Monday News and Views

titanic

Sunday was the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. I have always been fascinated by the Titanic, mainly because of my odd fascination of what the moments on the gigantic ship had to be like, once it was clear that it was going down, but with some still having the opportunity to potentially be saved. Unfortunately for those of us interested in the actual story of the Titanic, the entire sequence has become forever wrapped up in the Leonardo Dicaprio movie, which while entertaining, trivialized the entire ordeal into a love story that is best remembered for him standing on the edge like a fool yelling about he was the King of the World. Thus if you say (as I did this past week) that you are interested in The Titanic, most assume you are simply a girly man who cries at the end of sappy movies. That is not me…the idea that an unsinkable boat, the likes of which had previously never before been seen in the world, could go down with some of the leading pseudo-celebrities of the day on board, is fascinating. It would be as if today a luxury rocket was created, the likes of which had never before been seen, that was built to take people into space, and a group including Warren Buffet, Donald Trump, Jay Z and Tim Tebow (a great group if you think about it) were to go up on the rocket and then we watched as it disappeared out of earth’s orbit forever. It would shock the world, just like The Titanic, and unfortunately all our great-grandkids would ever know about it would probably be based on a 2105 film starring some offspring of a Kardashian. It is just a bummer.

On that happy note, a reflection on a couple of news bits from the weekend:

— Because I have been on the road, I haven’t really weighed in on the biggest news of the Spring, the decision of Nerlens Noel to bring his flat top to Kentucky. (yes I know it is not really a flat top, but a “High Top Fade Feller” is not catchy…we have to go with what sticks and “Flat Top Feller” sticks). The decision was huge for the future of Kentucky basketball and ensures that UK will once again be in contention in the 2012-2013 season. Noel will inevitably be compared to Anthony Davis, and like Brandon Knight to John Wall, that will cause some people to at the beginning to inevitably over-criticize him when he faces his (inevitable) college struggles. But make no mistake, Noel is a difference maker in college basketball. He is not the polished offensive product that Anthony Davis was…in fact, my guess is that he will only be the third or fourth leading scorer on next year’s team. But defensively, he has the potential to be as good as Davis. I know this is crazy to say, but it is true. Noel was a better high school shot blocker than Davis…now that DOES NOT mean he is certain to be better in college. That will depend on his work level, ability to grasp the college game and desire to improve, all things that Davis had in abundance. But he comes in as a singular difference maker that immediately makes UK a Final Four contender next year. Never has a haircut been so important.

— Now of course the other thing we found out this weekend is that Alex Oriakhi picked Missouri before making his visit to Kentucky. I know on some of the message boards, know-it-all types have used this news as a “see, I told you so…KSR and the rest don’t know anything” type of moment and we are used to that. Whenever you are trying to guess about the plans of college kids, you are playing a fool’s game. I never thought Oriakhi was a lock to UK, far from it…but I, like those around the program, thought UK had a very good shot. He surprised everyone around Lexington when he made his decision before a visit that had been especially set up for him, with Nerlens Noel (a player who was on the same AAU team as Oriakhi) on campus at the same time. Some close to Oriakhi suggest that he was always going to Missouri, and that may very well be. But that message wasn’t received on the UK end and thus the decision did surprise many.

— So what is next? Well the next domino to fall will of course be Anthony Bennett. It isn’t clear what Bennett will do, or when he will do it, but I am sure the heat will be amped up on him following the Oriakhi decision. I have been operating under the assumption that Bennett has been a Florida lean, and I think that is probably the safe view today. However the process is (potentially) far from over and a UK vs Florida war for the player is likely to begin taking place in earnest today. Kentucky has as of now, a five man group that is complete with 5 future NBA players in Harrow, Goodwin, Poythress, Wiltjer and Noel. I think they need at least one more very good player as a 6th component and then hope that someone else, be it Cauley, Hood, Beckham or some mystery name, joins the fray to give Calipari his seven. For the most part, Calipari believes that if he has six, he is good. The Cats have five that are there now (I still think Cauley is a year away from being consistent), and it is important that a sixth…or potentially a seventh, joins the group over the next month or so. Whether that is Bennett remains to be seen.

— If you haven’t yet seen it today, Salon.com has a “behind the scenes” Final Four piece today, that includes a lot on KSR. The writer spent some time in New Orleans and basically interviewed everyone under the sun about the change in media from newspaper to digital and what that means in press rooms across sports. When he asked to talk to me, I thought I would be a small footnote in the story, but he ended up using my status as “the chief media villain of the Final Four” as a theme throughout the piece. Other than a couple of minor quibbles (I am actually 33 and nto sure about how I feel about “cherubic”), I thought the piece was fair and very well done. There is a lot in there about KSR, Forde, Thamel, our good friend Gregg Doyel and an interview with Seth Davis that includes a couple of tidbits that he can’t like being out there (“hey there gorgeous, times two” officially becomes a KSR catchphrase now). It is worth a read if you like the “inside baseball” type media stuff and to be fair, it does explore why most mainstream media hate us, specifically me. And that is always fun.

Make sure and GET READY FOR THE 2nd ANNUAL KSTV CASTING CALL. It is going to be a great event once again and my guess is it is going to be even bigger than last year. It begins next week in Northern Kentucky (maybe I can bring the trophy with me) and I hope you will try to come to one of the tryouts. I will have a three-part CALIPARI TROPHY TOUR RUNNING DIARY on the site this week, with installments throughout. Most is done (we are going to try and avoid the Drew “I have yet to finish Part Two of the Taco Bell Diary” Franklin syndrome this week) and it has a ton of behind the scenes tidbits I know you will like.

We will talk extensively about the Trophy Tour stories on radio show Monday morning and Darius Miller is on KSTV Monday night…until then, have a big Monday…

Article written by Matt Jones

59 Comments for The Titanic’s Monday News and Views

1. CatsForever
    10:37 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Noel can dunk as well as AD!
    70% of AD points were dunks.
    If Noel can block we will be final four material.
    Cal’s dribble drive offense is a dunkorama
    that works to perfection in college, with weak defense!!!

2. Hicks
    10:39 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

We’ve seen them both play, we always wanted Bennett didn’t we? I did. We’ve always gone talent over experience why stop now? Bennett is more talented and would make a great 4 for this team. He could also play backup three minutes which helps our guard rotation. I think he sees it, as soon as I read the quote from him about Alex and Archie saying he was the missing piece after Noel signed I felt like we got him. How scary looking would that front line be? Two 6’8 linebackers and a flattop that’s in your head before you step on the floor. Let’s get Bennett and go do this championship thing all over again.

3. JB
    10:45 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Wow Matt so not even the obligatory “if nobody comes back” when discussing next year’s team? No chance at all anybody returns?

4. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    10:46 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

For Noel to be as good of a college shot blocker as Davis he needs to stay out of foul trouble. That’s what AD was so good at.

5. Jason
    10:46 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

It’s funny to me how time has completely altered the view of how Davis’ offense was when he started here. When he played in the blue white game and through the exhibition games, everybody and their brother in the #BBN were wayyyy over-worried because it seemed like Davis had no idea whatsoever how to play on offense. Noel has actually played down low in the post and isn’t JUST NOW learning how to like Davis was just 8 months ago. Noel will have an offensive game. Davis took just the 4th most shots on the team this year. He will be fine and he will produce for us. Funny how people forget.

6. BakerT
    10:47 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Let’s be fair to Davis. The next sentence is “I assume they’re CBS interns, or perhaps daughters of a coach; they’re so young, it’s innocuous and charming.”. It’s not like the comment Davis made was to a couple of overly made up MILFs. Nothing wrong with poking fun, but misrepresenting what someone says should be left to professionals douchebags like Thamel and Forde.

7. cracka
    10:48 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

bennett, jefferson, pollard … let’s get some more recruits! it would be nice to have 5 on 5 practices. what about torian graham or savon goodman? think they might look at us since bazz didn’t come? robert upshaw?

8. wildcat44
    10:50 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

What’s wrong with Friday the 13th podcast, or is that it. The 13th?

9. Hicks
    10:51 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

8- I think goodman and graham are supposed to end up at prep school this year.

10. Hal
    10:52 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

comparing leo to a kardashian is like calling matt jones cherubic.

11. CatsForever
    10:55 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

5) the truth hurts.
    staying out of foul trouble is the key!
    that is why AD got a championship and Cousins could not.

12. YankeeCpt
    11:01 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Noel should be known as: The Dome

13. Bradley
    11:10 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

11. Huh? Cousins foul trouble caused us to start 0-20 from three against WVU? Nice logic. If you coach let me know where. I’d love to schedule you.

14. CatsForever
    11:26 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Not fouling is the Key to the future for Noel!
    Few fouls AD, many fouls Cousins and Bench time!!!

15. B. Reese
    11:29 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Matt…
    Please stop the whole “flat top feller”.
    Your rational supporters are trying to give you
    a heads up…it has racial undertones and is
    simply bass akwards!

16. coloradocat
    11:30 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Nerlens averages 3.9 blocks per game in high school. Davis averaged 8 in high school and 4.8 in college. NN is a great shot blocker, but what is the basis for people saying he’ll be as good or better than Davis?

17. Mike
    11:35 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

17) huh? No it doesn’t!

18. The truth
    11:39 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

UK will never see another player as good as Davis!!
    In all our years, we’ve never had a National Player of
    the year winner…never! 8 banners…multiple
    All-Americans…MOP’s of the Final Four. One
    AD…only one…go ahead and retire 23 at UK,
    Please!

19. The truth
    11:44 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

19) huh? Are you black? Then shut up!
    It is like telling a white kid, hey I like your mullet
    when they have some serious Clay Matthews locks.
    It may not be racist but it is culturally unaware!

20. CatsForever
    11:47 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

20) sad but true, maybe
    maybe you underestimate Cal!
    Let us hope you are mistaken.

21. DrewFranklinBetsPennies
    11:53 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

haha racial undertones? People are so sensitive about everything, get a life losers!

22. Fubar
    11:59 pm April 15, 2012 Permalink

Only KSR fanboys will call Noel the “Flat-top Feller.” He’ll be ‘the eraser’ to the rest of bbn I bet.

23. DUKE SUCKS
    12:00 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

#21 Its not racist or culturally unaware at all.C’on man stop making something out of nothing.It’s corny and utterly stupid I agree,but not racist.AD is a once in a generation player.Noel is good and a huge pick up but not AD.If you have to compair him to anyone he is more like Andre Ridick then Davis

24. GetReal
    12:04 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

C’mon now guys, we are not in the 50’s and 60’s anymore. Some people wanna play the race card way to much, nothing about “flat top feller” is racial.

25. CatsForever
    12:10 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Noel will be a superstar like AD.
    It’s rare but it happens. Year after Year!
    Kareem, Sidney Wicks, Walton.

26. soggyUKgrad
    12:38 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

awww…#28(Dickie P.)…welcome back you troll. how’d you like losing to big brother when the stakes were so high???

27. soggyUKgrad
    12:40 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

wow…someone is on top of the delete button right now!!! love it!!! no negative comments about KSR should be left up!!!!

28. Catsincebirth
    12:40 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Noel should be called…..Kid Dyno-Mite…cause he looks like
    JJ from Good Times.

29. isaiah
    12:43 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

ANYONE SEE DANIEL ORTON TONIGHT 11PTS 4 REBS 3 BLKS 5 STLS

30. BigBlueJim
    12:43 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Help! I missed the chance to DVR the game tonight. Does anyone know if it will be on TV in the near future? Thanks!

31. KentuckyGentleman
    12:44 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Never seen such a waste of comments as these, this is pathetic.

32. high top fade feller
    12:46 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

28 how racial of you!

33. Hitmorelinedrives
    12:58 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Matt Jones to advertise on this site. Sent numerous emails. No response!! C’mon Man!!

34. Dave in Kabul
    1:22 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Titanic (the movie) brings back memories of Tel Aviv and Galit Kabra. I saw that movie with her in ’98. I didn’t care. She was gorgeous. So, Titanic has some great memories attached to it for me.

35. Dave in Kabul
    1:24 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

I am not particularly fond of the moniker “flat top feller.” Sounds much too hickish for me to use it.

I keep expecting Hee Haw’s cast to starting pickin’ and grinnin’ and singin’ about his hair.

More power to ya if you like the name.

36. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    1:28 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

35) the name actually comes from a hickish KSR caller who asked Matt, “what’s the deal with Shabazz and that flat top feller?”

37. mountaincat57
    1:30 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones is the most respectable media entertainer in sports. I wonder why no one else in hiis proffession likes him ? its not like he uses his power of BBN to hurt others or make false statements. Why would they not respect someone who tweets the handles of other journalists who have written accussatory articles about Coach Cal? i wonder why they dont even acknowledge him. cherub mf’er

38. #WWMKGD
    1:44 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

If you think Titanic the film was just a sappy love story then you missed out on the most important parts of the film lol. That film wasn’t supposed to be about the crash. Is was about the class issues between the rich and the poor.

39. El hombre Juan
    4:56 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

39th

40. The Cheese
    5:27 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

29- who is Daniel Orton? Do you mean that college dropout that took a dump on the program? That guy?

41. kenny payne
    6:37 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

I am close to accepting a job with tards. As usual ksr is asleep at the wheel.

42. Will
    6:55 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Matt, did you see Pitino’s interview after finishing the Chamions Tour pro-am? Said it was a great honor to play with fellow Kentuckian “Kenny Payne”. Actually played with Kenny Perry. Think he’s trying to get Kenny to join his staff?

43. TAXman
    7:15 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

38. You think people would’ve gone to see the movie if the titanic never wouldve sunk and the entire film was about “class issues”?

44. Napa Know How Guy
    7:27 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Calling the Titanic a “boat” is like calling a whale a guppy.

45. Shane
    7:50 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

I am with 35…Can we please stop the “flat top feller” crap. I feel sick every time I hear it. No need to perpetuate that sort of thing.

46. Cornholio
    8:17 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Does UK still have a chance with Adrian Payne and Tobias Harris?

47. Roland
    8:19 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Aircraft carriers are known as “flattops”

48. Juan4UK
    8:32 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Cherubic Matt Jones. Yep, that is very true. You may not like it but you do have fat & rosy red cheeks Matt. And they get even redder when you get amped up about stuff.

49. Cornholio
    8:32 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Orton’s monster block of Henson’s dunk in the UNC game was the best play of the Calipari era. That’s a strong statement considering all of the spectacular dunks by Wall, Bledsoe, Jones, Miller, Gilchrist, Davis, etc. Henson would have broken the backboard and seized momentum for UNC with UK’s bigs in foul trouble had it not been for that game changing block. Lot of players don’t have the strength nor athleticsm to make a block like that.

50. DEVASTATION INC
    8:55 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Flat top feller is not racist it is just ‘flat’ out stupid! With a name as cool as Nerlens Noel, you don’t need another name. Nerlens Noel is fine with me.

51. jjjjjjjjjjjj
    10:04 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Oriahki probably made a good decision for himself, given Missouri’s status as a team that would be really dangerous if only they had an inside game. Probably a good opportunity to put up a lot of stats next year for him. And we’ll be fine with Noel.

52. thatolechestnut
    11:31 am April 16, 2012 Permalink

Matt is cherubic…can’t tell if he’s getting fatter, or if his ego is just getting that inflated. Not sure what their two-year plan is. Nothing has a long shelf life these days. Anda fter awhile, once the novelty of it wears off, getting on KSR is like hearing your buddy tell the same story for the 58th time. You sit there and listen, but you’re heart isn’t in it. I just want the information now, in a non-ridiculous manner. Maybe I’m just getting old, but reading this vommit everyday is getting tiresome.

53. Beatle Bum
    12:05 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Who ever thought alliteration of “feller” was a good idea should be placed on suspension in a corner for a few weeks. Please, stop with the “feller.” We want Nerlens to feel welcome, not demoralized.

54. Beatle Bum
    12:06 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I looked at a lot on a lake once. Not a lot on KSR.

55. Stingbass
    12:18 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

My first comment was deleted… (Thanks KSR) but what I HAD said was I agree we can do much much better than “flat top feller.” If some caller said it, fine. But let’s not use it as our main reference for Nerlens… Do we want to perpetuate a stereotype of UK fans?

56. lambofgod
    12:26 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

stereotype is already firmly in place—we can’t care what iothers think–we are UK

57. Stingbass
    1:31 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

Either way… It’s not a very good nickname. We can do better. Just tired of reading it everytime a writer posts on here.

58. GrandWizardkk
    2:24 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

I have no problem with the moniker. I find it endearing.

59. TrayvonMarty
    2:26 pm April 16, 2012 Permalink

You people should educate yourself and learn what true racism is.