The Story of the Week

bilde

Maybe its because it is late on a Friday night and I have stayed in to get ready for the Casting Call tomorrow. Or maybe it is because it has been another slow news week in UK sports. But whatever the reason, the news today that Dupont Manual biology teacher Carrie Shafer pled guilty today to charges stemming from her “relationship” with a 17 year old student was clearly the story of the day to me. As outlined in this story on WLKY, Shafer was charged with custodial interference after she was found in a car with a student in a Jefferson County park earlier this year.

According to the police report, Shager (who is 39 and every high school boy’s dream) was found with her 17 year old male student, partially undressed in a car, with alcohol and a used condom outside the vehicle. She pleaded guilty to a three-year sentence, but was placed on diversion, meaning she will not have to serve any time. She will be unable to teach again for the next three years, but practically speaking, she will never find a teach job again.

Now a couple of quick thoughts immediately come to mind. First and most importantly, WHERE WERE THESE TEACHERS WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL? Now I am not even talking here about teachers that would have relationships with students…a 22 year age difference with a high school student is too much for even the most wild cougar on the prowl. But I am more focused on the question of where were the teachers who looked like this in my high school days? In all of my years of high school, which included multiple trips to various other schools for basketball games, tennis matches, etc, I dont ever remember seeing a teacher that looked like Shafer. But it seems we now have these stories every few weeks. Are gorgeous women now becoming teachers or are the teachers we have just becoming more beautiful? Inquiring minds want to know.

But I also wonder, what happens to Shafer now? What does she do? She can’t teach, so does she get another career? Does she stay in the area? Does she move? Does she go patrolling the Bardstown Road Qdoba for a new boyfriend? Her story is fascinating and I wish her the best. And as for the 17 year old, dont cry for him. He was, I am sure, officially the coolest Senior at Dupont Manual High School and the lingering effects will not ruin his future existence.

Article written by Matt Jones

95 Comments for The Story of the Week

1. Doug Shows
    11:05 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Future Sypher.

2. Beetle bum
    11:06 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Some stupid stuff here, counselor.

3. TulsaCat
    11:06 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Second paragraph, “Shager”. Freudian?

Shager, I hardly know her….

And yes, where see these hot teachers when I was in school??

4. Matt Jones
    11:08 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

#2 then dont read it

5. ryan loftus
    11:09 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Wonder if Pitino is trying to find her for a job?

6. Andy
    11:13 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

How could anybody feel sorry for this kid?

7. Carrie Shafer
    11:14 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

duh, silly little boy… I’ll be at the KSTV casting call. #wink #wink
    But I also wonder, what happens to Shafer now?

8. Beetle bum
    11:15 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Not reading does not make you any more clever.

9. Richard Mays
    11:16 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

She is why some young men come to school. M

10. Ash
    11:17 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

I heard her husband is a doctor at UL…if still married, she will not need to work.

11. ukchampion
    11:17 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

i saw this earlier. frankly i don’t understand where is the wrongdoing in this case under the law?? she should be fired obviously but i think there’s worse things that a teacher could do…

my friend that went to Manual said he had her class when she was a TA in 2001 – she must have been hottern’ hell back then! i watched the courtroom video on CJ website and she doesn’t look as good, weird nose job. still pretty amazzing for a teacher i must say though.

12. Beetle butt
    11:18 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Beetle bum!!!!!!!

13. Cynic
    11:20 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

She is kinda hot but hard to muster up much sympathy for her. What she did is a disturbing breach of integrity and an abuse of her role as a teacher/mentor.

14. bluebarnes
    11:21 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Sign me home for her home school course

15. manbearpig
    11:21 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Wouldn’t a hotel or table at Ricks restaraunt been more convenient and safer?

16. macon_volfan
    11:21 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

This is wrong. I do feel sorry for the boy, as he was taken advantage of. Let us, for the sake of argument, make the teacher a 39 year old dude and a victim a 17 year old girl. Is she now the ‘senior at the school?’

17. macon_volfan
    11:23 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

oops, I meant to end with “the coolest senior at the school.” Still, this story is sick.

#MaryKayLetourneau

18. snarkster
    11:25 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

not sure that was the outfit to wear to court maybe a “moo-moo”, no mjake up, “mousey” glasses and a role of steel-belted duct tape to flatten those puppies out.

19. Cousins Fake Teeth
    11:26 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Does she do home schooling?

20. tipton's acne scars
    11:29 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

i would love to stay after class for some discipline from this naughty babe…mrs. schafer, check out this hard stick in my pants, and no it’s not my slide rule

21. Ticklemytweeder
    11:31 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Matt, I think she likes to play pool over at the back door..

What’s the possibility it was an Asian math genius she hooked up with? Aroused but his vast knowledge of the pythagorean theorem..?

22. blueblooded
    11:31 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Ask your boy Will Mapes! He graduated the year before her in high school, so maybe he can give you the scoop. And if you need any good stories about your BUDDY Will, I might be able to dig up some dirt for you! Actually, Will is a good guy and the two of you with Mary Jo make a pretty good American Idol team.

23. Danielle
    11:36 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

I don’t understand the “Then don’t read it” statement in response to someone’s disapproval of this post. This site was founded on the expression of opposing viewpoints an various issues. What if every sports writer that was ever disagreed with by the writers on this site responded with “Then don’t read it”? Also, by this logic you shouldn’t read something with which you don’t agree but how is one to supposed know that they don’t agree with what is written if they have not read it. Woowoowoowoowoowoowoowoowoowoowoow!

24. kymedman
    11:38 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Matt, our biology teacher at the boro was just as hot, admit it!!

25. Ticklemytweeder
    11:39 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

He was probably motor boat’n em when the cop arrived.. (insert motor boat sound I can’t spell)

26. OHMN
    11:39 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

I’m not condoning this at all, but unless KY laws have changed, 16 is the legal age in this state. The fact that the guy was 17 and a minor doesn’t matter. The problem is that she was a teacher in a position of authority and he is a student at the school. I’m not A similar thing happened at my high school a few years ago, but things may have changed since then.

27. HomeJersey
    11:43 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

This is what happens when you can’t find any weed.

28. Matt Jones
    11:44 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

#23, I dont mind valid criticism…Matt you think this and I think that, etc. What is annoying and what we dont promote, are people who come on and just write the equivalent of “this sucks”. And saying “some stupid stuff here” is not a valid criticism, but it is just hate. Add to that the fact that the poster is one who posts similar things often on the site and that was the point of my “dont read it.”

Free expression of thoughts is fine. Coming on just to tell people they suck and cant write is not fine.

29. JBR
    11:47 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

Happened down here in the Nashville area a couple of years ago, except the teacher was much younger and much freaking hotter…like Playboy hot…my question is that these women are attractive enough to have any man that they want, so what is attractive about an adolescent kid? I mean, I thought women were supposed to be different than men, and the “emotional” crap and all of that…who knows

30. alan cutler's fart
    11:48 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

25) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. And I think we all know what Matt’s hand will be doing tonight. Without the girls she isn’t that hot. I’d still Pitino that though.

31. Terrelle's Cadillac
    11:50 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

I would so do her and let you watch!

32. duhville cat
    11:51 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

28) but seriously, BTI still sucks… right?

33. Bg Cat
    11:53 pm June 3, 2011 Permalink

I Think The Legal Age Of Consent Was Changed To 18 Yrs Old If The Older Person Is In A Position Of Authority.

34. Ticklemytweeder
    12:04 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

30) I leave em nice n sloppy when I MB..  tuning Tokyo..

35. iWantToGrowUpAndBeTheDrewFranklin
    12:05 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

16. How can you say the boy was taken advantage of?!?!? He is SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD. He should be smart enough at that age to know right from wrong. Don’t tell me that your old ass wouldn’t have wanted the hot teacher when you were in school. I don’t know about Kentucky law, but in Indiana if this happened, and the boy is 17 and agreed to it, there would be no problem other than what the school would want to do with her. Congrats to the dude. I am sure he enjoyed it, I know I would. Stop looking through your old person glasses, this happens all the time. They just got caught.

Also, lay off Matt a little, he was just posting this, 1. because it’s funny, and 2. who doesn’t want to look at a hot teacher? I wish my professors looked more like this. Saying a post sucks makes you look childish.

36. Culver
    12:06 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

High School should happen EVERY decade! Every ten years or so, we’d take a break from reality! We spend 4 yrs hanging out, half-assing our studies, and continuously trying to get laid. Works for me!

37. Joseph
    12:17 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

I work with abused children, comments such as this kid being the coolest is horrible. Maybe you need to consider the damage done by this behavior. I am sure you would not be making those comments if the teacher was male and the student a female.

38. Ticklemytweeder
    12:17 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

She’s selling her “story” to naughtyamerica.com

It won’t get a high rating tho, too unbelievable even for them..

Wonder what the truth would say to this? “itsa obamanation, he wuz prolly a top crute for Tom Crean and she ruined him an zeller dominate’n in tha Hoosier dome next season. That’s why I had to terminated her from her position matt jones.”

39. IndyUKAlum
    12:19 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

To quote South Park: “Woah, nice”

40. Terrelle's Cadillac
    12:19 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Those have to be Tiple Eee’s.

41. Straightbent
    12:20 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

42. Chris Thomas
    12:21 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

My girlfriend’s sister just graduated with him and I went to the commencement.

Every kid in the school knew it was going out… and he had a girlfriend actually of high school age at Manual at the time. Had to be hell for her.

Apparently he would cut his own classes and just come by her classroom and hang out all the time. And he had been bragging about it for weeks to friends.

43. Terrelle's Cadillac
    12:22 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Dupont Manual “Got Milk”

44. KYinIL
    12:36 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

First off I will say that I in no way condone what she has done. But I will say that I just feel awful for her family. I used to teach at the school where her kids go to school and she was always very nice. Her kids are wonderful children and I just hope that they get the help that they will need in the near futue. Her husband is also a very nice guy…just makes you wonder how well you really know people.

45. justin
    12:51 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Can I be KSR’s editor? Yall need someone for real

46. snarkster
    12:55 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

While i can empathize about those who say it would be different if it were reversed – a make teacher and female student. It would be different. i think alot of the difference is betwenn a 17 year-old boys and 17 year-old girls and how they se things.

My view is probably colored by experience though. When i was about 17, I was seeing a bery attractive woman in her mid-thirties. While she wasn’t a teacher, i learned a lot from her. She taught me a lot about how to treat women and what they wanted in a lot ways. I always took it as positive and the only lasting effect I ever noticed was a tendancy to return to Cougartown once in a while over the years.

47. justin
    12:59 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

I hooked up with my 23 year old hot blonde TA while @ UK. It was fun hearing the guys make comments in class! Lol

48. HackRichards
    1:05 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Reminds me of back in high school I used to flirt with our P.E. teacher. I was 14-15 and she was in her 20’s. She would not give me the time of day…THEN shortly after I graduated I ran into her at the local grocery store. She came on to me BIG TIME. Scared the HELL out of me…Hahahahah Wish I had that to do over…

49. JeffKooblie
    1:11 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

snarkster, clearly she didn’t teach you how to spell. This is repulsive Matt, I don’t understand how you can post this perturbing tripe on KSR. This young man was taken advantage of by a person of authority, and it will forever define him. Please, reconsider your vantage point on this issue. It is both unprofessional and disheartening to read your take on this serious subject.

50. Moses
    1:21 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Hey Matt.. To steal a quote from Family Guy “I’d hit that in the rough”

51. snarkster
    1:30 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

No 49, your mama did. I can spell just fine, just can’t type that well. As for the rest? I just offered my prospective from a similar experience. The lady I was with was not married and we kept in touch for years. Never noticed any negative effects on either side. Like I said, I believe thre’s adifference between how a 17 year old boy processes it an a 17 year old girl. You don’t like it? i’ll live.

52. ukcat1
    2:09 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

A crime is a crime. Ask Jenny Dinkle. I agree with #16 even if this is an old man’s fantasy. This site should not make fun of criminal activity. Would there be the same reaction if for example this had been a 39 year old hot male having sex with a 17 year old male high school student?

53. ukcat1
    2:09 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

54. Owen
    2:40 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

What the hell? I’m 22 and would totally love to have a relationship with that babe. Not a big difference, right? No fair. Totally don’t blame him though.

55. David
    2:43 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

As an alum of DuPont Manual I have to say 2 things:

1. Where were the teachers like that when I went there?
    2. Go Crimsons!!

56. Blaineman
    3:22 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

I’ll tell you this….Since I’ve been out of School, I’ve known some very good looking teachers that were freaks…I’ll just leave it at that.

57. Chuck Norris
    3:52 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

I had sex with my teacher… I was home schooled.

58. wd
    4:02 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

I thought this was a sports venue, my mistake. What’s next octomom revelations?

59. ACHS and Pburg
    6:15 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

u guys ever hear of Deisha Holiday…taught in floyd county,,,she was hot as hell and rumors about her and several students were always floating around

60. FakeDrVance
    6:41 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

#45: You lack the proper language skills.

61. Arupprunt
    7:07 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

I went to high school with her husband back in 93, and our senior year he was banging a married substitute teacher!! Talk about Karma

62. SexnNursinHomes
    8:02 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

wish this would have happend to me. I’d live the life as a quadraplegic if I could’ve slept with my teacher. I gues my college prof would work, but she’s 65

63. john
    8:11 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

If this 17 year old was taken advantage of, I wish she would take advantage of me.

64. tonydelksarms
    8:45 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

pump off material

65. Flyingfishman
    8:50 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Assault with a FRIENDLY weapon?

66. Lennypopoff
    8:54 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Macon what is the age of consent for a goat down there in garbage truck land.

67. twutters
    9:04 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

I was best friends with her for years, but have been out of touch with her for quite some time. Feel very sorry for her family.

68. I Shoot 4s
    9:29 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

62. That is amazing if true.

It is awesome that you can tell automatically who is a female by reading their comment.

69. Wow
    9:42 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

I would be a proud father of that boy

70. jesco white
    10:04 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

There are smokin hot teachers all over the place now. It is unbelievable. I am around the same age as Matt, and I had one 50 year old teacher who I bet was hot when she was 30, and a principal who was about 40 who I’m sure had been a 10 at some point. That was it though. Now days there seems to be about 5 hot teachers per school in most cases.

71. Jimmy Buffett
    10:05 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

eeeeeeeee

72. Jimmy Buffett
    10:12 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

EEEE’s

73. Dale
    10:40 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

The charges are unlawful transaction with a minor 3rd degree and custodial interference. She did give alcohol to a minor that she was an authority over then had sex.

74. BravoBigBlue
    11:06 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Just another crazy bitch. Move along people.

75. Joseph
    11:08 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

snarkster you are WRONG. I am a therapist- I work with these kids. I do this for a living, I KNOW what I am talking about here.

76. DjColdCutz
    11:18 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Honestly, I don’t think there would be a difference in how males or females would respond in this situation. It wasn’t rape, it was willing from both sides. With that said, there’s most likely no effects whatsoever, regardless of gender

77. NoOne
    11:23 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Hot teachers have always been around, we just got older and the news cycle reports on this a LOT more. I got an A in college by flirting with a female TA. Maybe that should have been T&A huh?

78. NoOne
    11:34 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

She wasnt convicted of a sex crime. Unlawful transaction and custodial inteference. Giving a minor alcohol and being with a minor without consent of the parents.

79. LionGeneral
    11:35 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

Mr. Jones,

It is one thing to cover the world of sports “in the most ridiculous manner possible.” It is quite another to apply the same juvenile and irreverent approach to a matter such as this. Out of respect for the families involved, please remove this insensitive and inappropriate post from your site. Kentucky fans, who appreciate your enthusiasm for all things UK, come to KSR for news and views pertaining to our beloved Wildcats. We do not come here to read such childish tripe. You are better than this.

Sincerely,

A Plea For Decency

80. schwing
    11:57 am June 4, 2011 Permalink

i am so unbelievably pro child abuse.

81. Dennis Smith
    12:04 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

A lot of jokes, a lot of opinions. Seems to be the law is the real offender. It is scary that she could have been incarcerated and tried as a criminal at the discretion of the prosecuting attorney. But even though this women will get a pass on jail time she will likely be added to the “public list of the scorned” as a sex offender, while he will be paraded as a hero. And the law will march on in defiance supported only by a radical few whom make themselves vocally present in these matters, while our Legislators will avoid the subject despite the injustice.

82. Beetle bum
    12:11 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

Matt, you are a grown man who understands that such Beavis humor about this situation is in poor taste. If you need me to explain the “counterpoint” that would really surprise me. Rather, you take the defensive self righteous approach. I understand wanting to be cutting edge AND wanting to get your Internet hits, but I really think that you have created something here that can be better than you offer in this post. This does not read like someone who understands the criminal justice system or is sensitive to victims, all involved. The fact that a Manual student tells me this post is crass and juvenile, I think, is telling. Just think about, that is all I ask.

83. MemphisCat
    12:25 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

That woman is a hammer, I’m guessing she couldn’t find any men, in there 20’s, 30’s or 40’s that wanted a one night stand or part-time visitor. Wish she would have came on the morning show and said she was visiting Memphis, I’m sure I could have found her a hook-up. (No Charge, of course)

84. Adam
    12:36 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

“Niiiiiiiiiiice.” – South Park

85. OneShotOf Moonshine
    1:11 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

Actually this is a damn shame. Shame because that boy was over the age of consent. ANYBODY 39 years old except a teacher can screw that 17 year old and NOT have any problems at all. Shame Teachers cannot enjoy that nice young firm bodies that brush up against them everyday like and other Joe/Jill can. Just NOT FAIR….

86. dad
    2:24 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

Guys lay off Matt a little here. I thought this was an interesting story, and when there is no other goings on in the mother land I don’t oppose these types of posts. I read the site while I’m at work and this post certainly did its job in entertaining me. KSR is different than your run of the mill news sources and that’s exactly the reason we have all come to love it. And btw I’m 22 and currently having relations with a teacher (and yes she is a solid 9) they are out there. Hats off to your, Mr. Jones.

87. dad
    2:25 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

Guys lay off Matt a little here. I thought this was an interesting story, and when there is no other goings on in the mother land I don’t oppose these types of posts. I read the site while I’m at work and this post certainly did its job in entertaining me. KSR is different than your run of the mill news sources and that’s exactly the reason we have all come to love it. And btw I’m 22 and currently having relations with a teacher (and yes she is a solid 9) they are out there. Hats off to you, Mr. Jones.

88. Nate
    2:26 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

37, i think u might need to get more educated before u work with abused children… The only people that ever say that this hurts the child are the snooty too good people that have no real clue about everyday life… I guarantee that this kid loved it and would do it again… Hell he prolly even thinks he seduced her lol… Anyway get a clue and please keep away from the kids because evidentaly u have no clue about whats going on

89. Nate
    2:29 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

82 u nailed it

90. August19
    2:55 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

We’ve been laughing about this one in Louisville for a while now. Everything about this story is hilarious. From the fact that she was involved with the fellowship of christian athletes, to the fact that the kid was in her anatomy class, to that fact she was also a Biology teacher and threw the condom out the window of her car in the park (littering = bad for enviornment. Shouldn’t she know that?), to the fact that she was married to one of the BEST young neurosurgeons in the state. And a friend of mine knows the kid and he’s not even cool at all. Kinda lame really.

91. Ky76
    4:56 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

First and foremost….the Alcohol involved is WAY WRONG…but saying that…it’s very VERY easy for a 17 yr old to get a “Drink” if they really want it…

as for the “relationship”….who cares??!!?? it’s every boys dream to be with a “HOT” teacher….he is 17 flipping years old!! The boy knows what he is doing….he is 100% legal age…

to adults…have sex….Big deal….

There were atleast 3 teachers in my High School….that…well…um…err….”educated” the student body….while I was in High School….

and Matt….as for you….

You went to school where…Bell County?? Middlesborough??….need I say more as to why there weren’t hot teachers….

Rockcastle, Laurel, Pulaski, Madison….they had some nice teachers back in the day…. 😉

92. barber
    6:20 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

if this were turned around, and it was a male teacher with a female student, he would get 20 years, rightfully so! my point is this sicko deserves what a male would get, at least 20 years! its a serious crime! to give her no time is a joke, and proves our judicial system is pathetic!!!

93. Dirty duPont
    9:00 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

I just graduated from Manual 2 days ago, the kid was actually a junior, not a senior, and is a complete tool (looserville fan). He bragged about it a lot, as he should, so theres no reason to feel bad for him, he knew what he was doing.

94. congrats
    10:36 pm June 4, 2011 Permalink

Agreed. I knew several sorostitutes that went from doing ATM at 4AM to an 8AM student teaching assignment. Careers do not discriminate…freaks are freaks and god bless them for it.

95. Bogey
    5:12 pm June 5, 2011 Permalink

Lucky guy… that teacher is pretty hot.

I have to admit if you flip the genders it goes from “lucky guy” to “pedophile”…

Shafer’s husband has to feel like all the other rich tools out there with trophy wives banging younger dudes.

Awesome story Matt the picture says it all