On my honor, I will do my best…

With the developments behind the suspension of a college basketball player for ‘allegedly’ having sex with his girlfriend, the jokes practically wrote themselves.  And while your opinion on whether he should be suspended or not may differ (I’d give you mine, but I highly doubt you’d care,) it doesn’t change the fact that some of those jokes are pretty funny.  Our friends at the SportsPickle have done a little research and discovered 8 other programs with strict behavior codes and the results are pretty great.

Not to mention – aside from Kentucky, SP takes shots at Louisville, Kansas, Duke, and UNC.

Here’s a link to the full image (I wouldn’t feel comfortable just stealing the picture unless it came from the LHL,) but in case you don’t feel like clicking, here’s UK’s:

Kentucky Conduct: Players must abstain from sex, drugs and alcohol, and attend church and all of their classes.  Ha!  No.  Just Kidding.  Enjoy your one year on campus.

You know, I don’t mind that one so much.  Maybe I’ll play for Kentucky after all.

Article written by Will Lentz

20 Comments for The Sports Pickle Has A Take On The BYU Honor Code – Includes Kentucky And Louisville

1. The Real Pioneer
    6:07 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

TROY MCKINLEY WAS THE TRUE MODEL OF A KENTUCKY ATHLETE DURING HIS FOUR YEARS ON CAMPUS!

2. Joseppi
    6:12 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Way to go KSR. You made that site overloaded.

3. COLLIE
    6:13 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

That’s great! Clicked on the link and it says site overloaded, check back later. The power of KSR!

4. I love Jesus
    6:14 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

All jokes aside, this world would be a better place if everyone did attend church, read their Bibles and refrain from sin. But since this is a sports site, I won’t get started on that…. What I will say is that Sunday is a MUST win for UK. Our kids need to know that they can win in a tough environment prior to heading into the SEC and NCAA tourneys. If we’re going to “click”, now’s the time. If not, then brace yourself for a Tubby like finish down the stretch.

5. Nashville Cat
    6:17 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Is that a drawing of Jon Hood at his Boy Scouts initiation ceremony?

6. jaygee85
    6:20 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

they really give calipari hell on that site

7. I love Jesus
    6:21 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

5: LOL. Yes I believe it is. And he’s holding up “3” fingers in regards to the amount of minutes he’s played this year.

8. JWILDCAT1
    6:22 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I live by that honor code and im proud…….Its by choice i swear!!……. Shutup

9. I love Jesus
    6:24 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

If this were a starting five in the SEC, what do you all think their record (16 SEC games) would have been this year?

PG: Jared Polson
    SG: Jon Hood
    SF: Stacey Poole
    PF: Eloy Vargas
    C: Enes Kanter

Let’s assume that this team had one or two other “DECENT” reserves at best. And considering we’ll never see Enes play a college game and we’ve only seen flashes of the others, I’m going to say that team would finish somewhere around 2-14 in SEC play.

10. TampaCat
    6:36 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

#9, only if they played Auburn twice…………………..

11. mudcreekmark
    6:38 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

0 and 16

12. Wildcat Walter
    6:48 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

In all seriousness #9, I’d say somewhere around 6-10 or 8-8. They are the bench at Kentucky plus probably the best big in college basketball in Kanter. Hood, Poole and Vargas are all fairly highly regarded prospects. They just are not up to the level of the top prospects we have ahead of them. Polson is the weak link there but I’ve seen Elisha Justice getting in serviceable minutes for UofL and doing a decent job and Polson was the better of the 2.

13. I love Jesus
    6:51 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

10: LOL
    11: No way Kanter would let them go winless
    12: I don’t see them winning that many games. If this year’s group of actual starters can’t win on the road, you know this team couldn’t.

But it would be fun to watch.

14. Big Blue Swagger
    7:11 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

HA-Larious!!!! I love it!!

15. Big Blue Barber
    10:05 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

I supppose if you can’t live by an honor code……you have no honor.

16. Big Blue Barber
    10:08 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Or you just made a mistake…either way making fun of somene else’s religion is not Funny or honorable

17. Luther in Louisville
    10:08 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Don’t mess with the Boy Scouts. Very proud ex-boy scout here.

On my honor I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong,
    mentally awake, and morally straight.

18. old_school
    11:12 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Tough break for the BYU kid and the team – but he knew the rules and I admire the institution for adhering to their standards.

I’m not a Morman nor do I happen to agree with all their prohibitions – but their strict honor code isn’t something that recruits aren’t made aware of before signing on to be a Cougar.

Many programs and their fans will laugh at this situation and make a lot of jokes, but we know that most programs are not nearly as honor-bound as BYU appears to be.

As long as colleges are filled with players who get arrested, get caught cheating in school, avoid classes and treat the term ‘scholar-athlete’ like a running joke, BYU’s standard will leave them with no option to but laugh, while they secretly wish they had that kind of integrity.

19. old_school
    11:15 pm March 3, 2011 Permalink

Good for you Luther.
    Proud former scout here as well!

Once an Eagle – always an Eagle.

I learned things in scouting that prepared me for many things in life and it helped prepare me for Amry basic training as well.

Despite all the controversy from many on the left, the Scouts continue to pass on strong American princples onto the next generation of young men.

20. markp
    7:48 am March 4, 2011 Permalink

If you go play for the University of Mormon you know you are supposed to live to a higher standard than U of L.