The Sporting News still thinks Kentucky’s the preseason #1

2013class-500x501

Kansas may have gotten Wiggins, but Kentucky’s still the preseason #1, according to The Sporting News’ Mike DeCourcy. DeCourcy updated the preseason top 25 for the first time since the National Championship and the Cats are still at the top:

1. Kentucky

Since last we considered the Top 25, UK has learned that Archie Goodwin will not be returning but Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress are. Losing Goodwin is not without its costs, but what the Wildcats really needed in order for their overwhelming influx of young talent–the No. 1 prospect in the 2013 class at four of the five positions–to help the team confidently challenge for an NCAA championship was physical maturity in the frontcourt along with at least a hint of veteran leadership. And they’ve got that now.

What about the rest of the pack? Here’s the top ten:

1. Kentucky
2. Michigan State
3. Louisville
4. Duke
5. Arizona
6. Kansas
7. Michigan
8. Syracuse
9. North Carolina
10. Oklahoma State

College basketball is going to be really fun this season.

18 Comments for The Sporting News still thinks Kentucky’s the preseason #1

1. Blue To The Bone...
    10:34 am May 31, 2013 Permalink

Will be a big challenge for these kids to stay focused, play together and hopefully not have any egos get in the way…ul and MSU should be really strong

2. Lester
    10:52 am May 31, 2013 Permalink

UL with no Silva is no UL

3. ledle ledle ledle lee
    10:58 am May 31, 2013 Permalink

I wish Football season and basketball season would start already. Only thing i have to look forward to on TV is one NBA game every other day plus one Reds game almost every day. That’s not enough sports!!!!

4. Jamal
    11:03 am May 31, 2013 Permalink

I would put Syracuse at 7 and Michigan at 8

5. BigBlueAces
    11:17 am May 31, 2013 Permalink

4….I think ‘Cuse is going to be good…

6. mike
    11:25 am May 31, 2013 Permalink

Ledle thats what i do too lol nba and reds games .

7. UK
    11:31 am May 31, 2013 Permalink

I would like to see us start off somewhere in the 3,4,5 area so we have something to prove

8. Duke Sucks
    12:25 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

7) Usally I would agree but not this team. We have a group of alpha males who will have to bring it every game or set the pine. There is just so much talent that if one slips up somebody wil be there to play the minutes! I’d like to see this team go wire to wire! If Cal wants to try for a perfect season this is the team to try it with. I don’t think we go 40-0 but it is possible.

9. Katdaddy
    12:30 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

I think ul and msu could be better, The media likes to put alot of pressure on these young teams at uk. No way we should be ranked #1 right out of the gate. To many freshman who hasn’t played a game together yet.

10. SupCats
    12:42 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

I would replace #9 spot from UNC to OSU.

11. Derp
    12:49 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

9… Yea just like 2012… Idiot

12. Kissmysononmouth
    1:36 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

Where’s IU?

13. Ironic
    1:43 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

Hummm… Just coming off a NC no real talent returning, a juco transfer coming in and pre season #3. Loserville to NIT…… I think so!!!

14. RealCatsFan
    1:57 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

HaHa – I got the “your comment is awaiting moderation”, probably because I used the name “Han-c-o-c-k”. Cue up my best Beavis and B-U-T-T-head impression.

15. bbr
    2:23 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

seriously ul? they have their same team coming back from last year minus the person who ran the team for 4 years and their experienced big man in the middle. they won the championship in a year that was weak of talent overall in college basketball. so somehow they are supposed to be better this year than last? if they are not better than their last year’s team they will not sniff a final four with the increased talent in college basketball this year.

16. Katdaddy
    3:37 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

11…2012 team wasn’t rank #1 right out of the gate dumb-ss! Glad cats got the title but who knows what happens if Kendell Marshall doesn’t get hurt. And as far as ul goes you didn’t think they would win it all this year either did you?

17. asteroid's approaching...
    5:47 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

Ten months from now, unless the asteroid hits, we’ll be talking about how absolutely, freaking dominating our front line was. Randle, Alex, Lee, and Cauley-Stein are going to excel when you consider the front lines that other “powers” are bringing back.

18. Katdaddy is a card
    9:18 pm May 31, 2013 Permalink

16) What do you mean if Marshall hadn’t got hurt. Didn’t UK beat NC earlier in the year? I think it was pretty clear that UK’s team was vastly improved by march, so I would have to say UK would have beat them again!
    Wasn’t UK #1 in the majority of the poles at the start of that year! As far as UL goes I think Cal said UL would win it all at his preesser after the NC in ’12! I fail to see any of your points!