The Rock’s Wednesday News and Views

rock

I consider myself to be a man of varied interests. For every novel on the state of the human condition I read, I like to balance it with a low-brow reality show like “The Bachelor” or “Impractical Jokers” (seriously watch the last one…it is hilarious). For every treatise on philosophy that I buy and then place on the bookshelf to look important, I take a visit to BarstoolU.com online. And for every time I attempt to read my morning New York Times, I find myself on Youtube watching old WWF wresting videos. Wrestling was, and occasionally still is, my guilty pleasure and there are few who have mastered the squared circle like today’s birthday honoree, The Rock. There may be no other wrestler besides the immortal Ric Flair who combined in-ring skill with spectacular microphone work like The Great One, who became probably the most famous wrestler in the history of the business. From his catchphrases like “If Ya Smell What the Rock is Cookin'” to the shout of “Finally The Rock Has Come BACK to ___”, for those of us that like wrestling, few have brought it like The Rock. When wrestling was at its absolute best (late 1990s in the WWE), The Rock was on top and his promos/interviews were classics that many of us can recite even today. Today on his birthday, I will link one of his best bits, during his tenure as a “Heel” (aka bad guy..the role he was already better in playing), in which he makes fun of the city of Sacramento. Great stuff and a good start to the Wednesday before Derby:

To the news….

— After looking to be deader than a doornail, the Kentucky vs Indiana series might survive due to a last minute change of heart by IU. Tom Crean did an interview with CBSSports.com today in which he talked about an hour long conversation with John Calipari on Monday night. In the conversation, both men apparently reiterated that they wanted the series to continue, but that financial realities make it difficult for both sides. Kentucky will not play the series in Bloomington, meaning for it to continue, Indiana must agree to play on neutral courts. At this point, it looks as if the Hoosiers are considering agreeing to that concession, as it is important for them to continue the rivalry. UK’s stance is clear, as they will not play in Bloomington again in the next two seasons. Thus it will all depend on if Indiana’s Athletic Director is willing to play either in Indianapolis/Louisville or potentially even both years at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy. We will likely know very soon whether the Hoosiers agreed to the neutral court requirement or if the rivalry comes to a temporary end next season.

— It was an interesting recruiting day for Kentucky as two players who previously seemed unlikely to end up in the Blue and White saw their connection to Kentucky grow stronger. We woke up this morning thinking that Troy Williams would choose a school…but he did not. Instead, he said that he needed some more time to make up his mind. The 2013 star had all but decided to become a Tar Heel, a fact leaked out by his uncle Boo Williams in an interview with Inside Carolina, in which he accidentally let it slip out what he believed Williams would do at UNC. But this morning Troy tweeted that he wasnt ready to make the final call, a signal that he potentially has had second thoughts. He also announced that he was going to make another visit, presumably to Lexington to see Kentucky again. If we were reading between the lines here, I think the Cats have convinced him to hold off a bit longer while Kentucky gets things in better order on what their 2012 and 2013 class looks like. If Kentucky gets Anthony Bennett or Amile Jefferson AND feels that one or both are two year players, the urgency for Williams may change. The Cats desperately want to save a position for Jabari Parker or Julius Randle and dont want to do anything to upset their chances of coming to UK. But they also have to love Williams’ ability and the postponement of the decision may have been due to some last minute moves to get him to wait just a bit longer before pulling the trigger elsewhere.

— Kentucky also had day two of a visit by Xavier guard Mark Lyons to the Bluegrass. Lyons is an odd case, a Senior who can fill it up, but also has had a reputation for trouble during his time in Cincinnati. He has one year of eligibility remaining and can play next year wherever he goes. He has long been considered an Arizona lean (Sean Miller who recruited him to Xavier is there), but his high school coach insists that isn’t the case, and his visit was the focus of UK’s staff today. Lyons draws mixed reactions from fans as to his future, but Calipari knows that he can score in bunches and if he is convinced that a system can work in which Lyons and Harrow can both play and be kept happy, we might see him in Lexington after all. The smart money is still on him heading elsewhere but the percentage of him becoming a Cat did increase a bit today.

— It was also announced today that Kentucky will head to the White House on Friday to visit President Obama and do a grand tour of the building. Due to the NBA Draft, Kentucky scheduled a special trip to visit the President, in the last two weeks before the team departs Lexington to get ready for their next steps. The players are all very excited about the trip and Calipari said that it was all they talked about immediately following the Championship victory. The quick turnaround in timing makes it unique and the Kentucky Oaks scheduling means that Senator Mitch McConnell will not be in attendance. I also am unable to go due to the date, which bums me out, but does prevent us the embarrassment of having Drew Franklin’s security clearance denied by the White House. Still, it will be a great event for the players and memory that will last a lifetime. Let’s all hope that, like our postgame radio caller inquired last season, Brian Long at least appreciates it.

We will get it going again tomorrow on the radio. If you are getting ready for the Kentucky Derby, click on the TWINSPIRES.COM ad on the right hand side of the site for a KSR special and place your wagers for Derby and the Oaks. It is a great way to get ready for the races and you get a deal as a KSR reader. More later…

Article written by Matt Jones

31 Comments for The Rock’s Wednesday News and Views

1. Ray's Crevice
    11:21 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

-I’m sick of hearing about Troy Williams. I wish he’d just go on and commit to UNC. We don’t need drama queens like him. He reminds me of Jai Lucas.

-As for Jefferson, he’s not coming to UK. Bennett is our only hope and he’s 50-50, torn between UK and the Gay turds.

-Mark Lyons will not come to UK. If so, he would have already committed “TONIGHT.”

-Look for UK to add another couple players, but nothing on the elite level. UK will have to take whatever they can round up most likely. But either way, UK still has 6 very solid/elite players, and Cal only plays 7 players, so who knows what will happen. I’m still saying Cats will lose 10 games this season regardless. They are just WAY too young. No Senior leadership. Hood and Wiltjer will be our veterans! WOW.

2. Stone Cold Austin
    11:29 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

I would whip the Rock’s AZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Drew Franklin
    11:41 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

1. — What makes him a drama queen?

4. dave
    11:46 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

1- you have no idea what you’re talking about. just admit it.

5. Somervillain
    11:55 pm May 1, 2012 Permalink

I am okay with getting some players who will be around for 3-4 years, and so if we miss out on some Parkers and Randles because we run out of room, so be it. They know that might happen. BUT, I am also okay with holding spots for those guys if Cal feels he has a good shot with them, and therefore risking being left with “scraps” (no offense to those young men of course). I don’t need to compete for a championship every year, so if we rebuild from time to time, I think that is reasonable, and I can still enjoy the team. Course, I am blown away by the reloads and am having a blast with whatever Cal provides.

6. 193
    12:14 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

Matt, your posts are always WAY too long.

7. justSayin
    12:17 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

Matt, very odd picture.
    just sayin
    to each his own?

8. Harry Balsak
    12:39 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m hung like a war criminal.

9. Vanilla Dr. Pepper
    12:47 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

First!!

10. 44 Stitches
    12:58 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

@5 Well said.

I haven’t watched wrestling in years. I used to love it. Best 2 wrestling memory’s are cutting my finger on Dr. Death Steve Williams belt as a kid in the late 80’s at a N.W.A. event. Dr Death was going to the ring and my finger went up under the leather belt and what ever fake gold was on the front to make the belt. The 2nd was when Goldberg beat Hogan in the Ga Dome and I was on a 10 strip of blotter. Trust me I knew wrestling was fake but in the condition I was in it was electric.

11. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    1:19 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

Matt, you want us to click on the ad and wager after everything we’ve read tonight? Also, how did you get so many twitter followers?

12. Ciggy
    1:33 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

I miss watching wrestling on tv with my grandpa, going on 30 years ago. I still watch it from time ot time, and i really get misty.

Thanks for taking me back Matt, amazing video i haven’t seen before.

13. azjdub
    1:37 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

Have to disagree, Matt. Wrestling was at it’s best in the late 80s with Hogan and Andre the Giant.

14. Last to know
    2:15 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

1, you know so much, why don’t you just tell us who it is we are getting. Coach Cal doesn’t just give out schollys to fill out the roster. What we really don’t need is know it all like you telling everyone this player sucks and this one is ready to commit to whomever, when you don’t know sh!% about their intentions. Just grab back ahold of that pig’s teet and go back to sleep.

15. Beavis
    6:32 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

# 1 ,,,I think your comments came out of your crevice

16. Beatle Bum
    6:35 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

Besides the Cincy game, what evidence is there foro “a reputation?”

17. Me
    7:19 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

#15 – I believe the word you meant was “crevAss.”

Not sure what Bennett’s problem is. Maybe he is one of those kids that actually shy’s away from the spotlight. Really. Believe it or not, there are a few high schoolers who do not have the tools to be a Wall, Knight, AD, or MKG. Florida is a nice backup to a place like UK. Heck, Bennett might even be able to make some of the co-eds believe he’s a football player…

18. Some Guy
    7:45 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

All Hulk-a-maniacs know the late 80s were the best time for wrestling. I still say my prayers and take my vitamins. Brother…

19. Holler Baller
    8:17 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

Got to disagree about wrestling. The best era of wrestling was the mid to late 80s NWA when Flair and the Horsemen were on top. The 90s WWF doesn’t come close.

20. Rabbit
    8:21 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

I wonder how many Louisville fans who hate Matt Jones will enjoy a free $25 from twinspires and KSR?

21. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:27 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

1-Please don’t use the word “we,” as if you are speaking for all of us. I would be more willing to bet that you are speaking for a select few. And the few that you do happen to be speaking for, think that their word is the end all be all, and that they are in “the know.” When you have an opinion about something, step back, think about it, and then don’t say it, because you come across as an ignorant pessimist. Don’t be THAT guy.

22. JayCee
    8:42 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

It literally blows my mind that grown men watch wrasslin. How does it not constantly insult your intelligence?

23. barn
    8:51 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

bobo brazil, sweet daddy siki, the shiek (the original), handsome johnny baron with magnificent maurice, dick the bruiser, cowboy bob ellis…..those guys were great. the 80s/90s era was great too. i watched all the wwf events on my big sattelite dish that got every sporting event on the planet

24. Roofus Howls
    8:51 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

#19 types the truth.

I’ll also go on to say that Steve Austin was better in the ring and on the mic than Dwayne Johnson ever was.

25. minton
    9:09 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

Who… is this roody poo?

26. Dave T.
    9:44 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

From a TV ratings standpoint the mid to late 90’s was the best era for wrestling.

27. Hoss_Cat
    9:46 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand you’re problem matt. Just go to the white house. Who give’s a crap about the freakin oaks.

28. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    10:08 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

KSR IS JERICHO!

29. Mkgistebow
    10:29 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

Nice post 1, dead on on all points. I don’t get why drew can’t go to the wh without you Matt, especially if ksr got a legit invite?

30. Austin
    11:35 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN >>> The Rock.

31. tluckton
    11:42 am May 2, 2012 Permalink

Sometimes I wonder if I’m reading The Insider blog or Sports Blog.