The Return of the Prodigal Son, Daniel Orton

Bloody Orton

Sometimes a beloved son sets out on his own path, apart from his father’s wishes. Sometimes that path is misguided and does not include finishing a semester’s worth of classes at the University of Kentucky before heading to the NBA. And sometimes a fanbase can hold grudges.

But hey, let’s put that behind us. Because we may have a prodigal son coming back for the first time since leaving. Piggybacking on the recent news of a potential star-studded former-Cat game , it looks as if Daniel Orton may make his first return to UK for a 2010 vs. 2012  Alumni Game.

This news, along with the news of the potential alumni game, comes for our fearless leader Matt. While a lot of folks haven’t been happy with Daniel in the past, I think we can all embrace him as a prodigal son, should he return to Rupp for this game. If this happens, let’s welcome him back with open arms, as Daniel has been through a lot personally and was the first commit (albeit to BCG) to the recruiting class the brought UK back to the top.

Article written by Chris Thomas

42 Comments for The Return of the Prodigal Son, Daniel Orton

1. Sweets
    8:36 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Grow some Chris

2. NotSatire
    8:39 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Charles Barkley for color commentator for the alumni game 🙂

3. DB11
    8:59 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

My all time favorite goaltender

4. David from Bowling Green
    9:00 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

As far as I am concerned he is not welcome in the state until he issues an apology to Coach Cal, UK, and BBN.

5. Random
    9:06 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

He was like what, maybe 19 when he left? Christ, relax and cut the kid some slack. People do dumb things when they’re young. And to #4, if he’s invited to play in this game I’m sure Cal and the other players must be perfectly fine with him.

6. wait for it
    9:09 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

5. Exactly.
    I’m sure number 4 never made a bad decision and he\she is perfect in every facet of life.
    Give the kid a break.

7. BBN
    9:13 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #4. Why should we forget what Daniel did to Cal and the program?

#5: I was made to answer for the mistakes I made at 18 years of age. Daniel can live with the consequences of his.

8. wait for it
    9:16 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

7. yeah, what D.O. did, really set UK back didn’t it? I mean, will we ever recover? Oh wait, we won #9. Well never mind, then.

9. nibroc
    9:16 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Has he apologized for lying about finishing his freshman year classes? That should be a prereqisite to being welcomed back by the BBN.

10. jmfatz47
    9:17 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Not gonna boo the guy but also not gonna kiss his ass either. He’s a millionaire and I don’t feel bad for him. To be brutally honest, he wasnt a very likeable player in the first place and this was before he cut out on his classes.

11. Real UK Fan
    9:19 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

I can’t believe people would welcome Orton back? After what he did he does not deserve the honor. He needs to realize that once a decision like that is made it follows him the rest of his life. If he does play, I will be there booing him as loudly as I can.

12. Buckets
    9:19 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

It’s time to let bygones be bygones and welcome him back.

13. jmfatz47
    9:19 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

The feeling is just kinda ho-hum on his return to rupp. He will be overshadowed by Wall, cousins, Davis, gilchrest, bledsoe, etc….

14. MHFaulkner
    9:19 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

GET UP!

I CAN’T MOTHERF**KER!

15. jmfatz47
    9:21 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Gilchrist **

16. Tubby Who?
    9:26 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

How canso many take up for Tubby then trash this kid out? Tubby left in the middle of the night and did a lot more damage to the program then Orton ever thought about doing!

17. FurdTurgason
    9:34 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Some of our fans amaze me. Orton was recruited by BCG, could have bolted, but stayed and had to play behind Cousins the whole season. He obviously played well or he wouldn’t have been drafted. So he didn’t feel obligated to stay behind and finish up classes. Cal didn’t recruit him, and he didn’t get to play very much. Cut him some slack.

18. hoptown
    9:36 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Can’t you cut the guy some slack? Didn’t his mother pass away his senior year of high school? At 17 or 18 years old, how well would you deal with that as well as living in the scrutinizing fishbowl that is Kentucky Wildcat basketball?

19. JLP
    9:40 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

I wouldn’t boo. I would just either sit on my hands or clap like I was in a library.

20. brain
    9:40 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

You guys that think all of the players owe because you’re a fan of the program are laughable. He played on the 2010 team. Why wouldn’t he be included. This isn’t about a bunch of butt hurt dweebs on a web site. It’s about 10 v 12.

21. BBN
    9:45 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Americans have such short memories. You can almost anything here and people will either forget or be willing to forgive 2-3 years later. Marv Albert is the perfect example. He sexually assaults a woman his wife brought back to the Ritz Carlton hotel for a threesome and bites her on the upper back. The animal loses his job as an NBA TV announcer with TNT for two years then gets his old job back.

22. pharcyde
    9:50 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Daniel,

Sorry for all the KSR fanboy BS. KY basketball fans welcome you back. We’re different from the ‘see blue/bbn/referee guy/ stone cold willow/ Matthew Mitchell (no title) dance loving’ clowns that have ruined this site and the perception of UK/KY basketball. Go Cats.

23. banarama
    10:02 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

22, 24. the dweebs here complaining about Orton, can’t read. Even if they could, they’d still find a reason to hate on him.

24. Lil c
    10:15 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

# 23. Nice post!!

25. Brian
    10:22 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Anyone who boos him or is still holding a grudge because of a mistake he made as an 18 or 19 year old kid is a judgmental prick as far as I’m concerned. It was years ago and UK turned out fine you bunch of cry babies. Maturity and forgiveness seems to be lacking for many sadly.

26. Buzz Lightyear
    10:42 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

#7 You are one sad, strange little man.

27. Billy Bob Thorton
    10:45 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

I wish the kid would have stayed another year. No doubt he would have been a solid player. He just couldn’t get a break with Cousins in front of him. But, if he had of stayed, we probably wouldn’t have gotten to see Jorts bounce that ball of Sullinger’s chest!

28. mark
    10:47 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

I did so many dumb, insensitive things when I was a freshman in college – and honestly, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who didn’t do something selfish at 18 that they eventually wished they could take back. Daniel apologized; it’s obvious from his statement that with a little time, he started to understand the ramifications of his actions and deeply regretted them. In the end, he didn’t do anything that materially impacted the university or the program, so I think it’s time for fans to let it go. You don’t have to love him but to hold a grudge (especially after winning a national championship just a year ago) seems a little bit childish.

29. mike
    11:11 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

I think # 27 is alittle confused, he never done anything that I need to forgive him for as a fan, I just don’t like what he done, don’t hate on him any, just not someone I’m going to cheer for, believe it or not just because someone play at UK don’t make them a good person, and for those I choose not to cheer for, has nothing to do with forgiveness, he never done me wrong. GO CATS

30. HeHateUK
    11:24 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

He’s gonna get booed

31. Crowd Noise
    11:41 pm June 29, 2013 Permalink

Can someone tap into the intercom system with a .mp3 of crickets (when Daniel is announced)?

He will lead the way with goaltending and awkward post moves. And will get blocked repeatedly by Davis/Gilchrist/Jones.

His only chance is to take a beating and not whine about it. Just show hard work, no tears.

32. SeoulCat
    5:00 am June 30, 2013 Permalink

Boo the SOB.

33. SeoulCat
    5:02 am June 30, 2013 Permalink

And go to hell, Chris. Don’t tell BBN what they should do or how they should feel about this p.o.s.

34. GrumpyOldDude
    7:20 am June 30, 2013 Permalink

I have little sympathy for what happens to Orton in his lifetime. He never embraced the BBN even when he was here and surely didn’t care about what he’d be doing to the school’s APR. He will get booed….

35. AaronJ
    9:16 am June 30, 2013 Permalink

Some of you are a sorry excuse for a human being and a horrible representative of BBN. Cut the guy some slack, he was 18 listening to his Dads poor judgement. What kid isn’t going to listen to his Dad if he respects him at all?

36. Joe
    12:39 pm June 30, 2013 Permalink

Thank you #14! I spit my drink all over my phone! My favorite orton moment, made my day man! F-in priceless

37. Megan
    1:34 pm June 30, 2013 Permalink

I won’t boo him. But I won’t cheer for him either. I don’t like him. He treated the team poorly. And he gave ammunition to the Bobby Knights of the world.

This guy does not represent UK.

38. Gi11y
    2:14 pm June 30, 2013 Permalink

Daniel Orton put himself in front of UK, BBN, Cal, and most importantly — his team! We should not welcome him back. His decision making was all about what was best for ‘him’ and in the process he screwed everyone who had done nothing but try to help.

39. Wow!
    7:10 pm June 30, 2013 Permalink

Some of you guys sound like Cleveland Cavs fans after LeBron decided to sign with the Heat, lol. I think his apology is good, I accept it, and will be glad to have him back. He’ll never be beloved unless he goes well above and beyond to continue making amends to BBN somehow, but if Coach Cal invites him to come back and he decides to come back, I’ll be fine with that. Kind of like Coach Cal reaching out to Sutton.

40. Dude
    8:28 pm June 30, 2013 Permalink

How about he come back to get his degree. I’ll respect him more for that. Not some exhibition game.