The Quad City DJs Want Notes From John Calipari’s Press Conference

John Calipari met with some of Lexington’s finest media members this afternoon in the Joe Craft Center to look ahead to tomorrow’s home game against LSU.

Here’s what we learned:

Kyle Wiltjer is like “an animal” in practice.

Calipari said Wiltjer is dunking, screaming and pushing Alex Poythress to scream with him.  Cal recently asked Wiltjer to stand up in front of his teammates and explain why he suddenly made the change and bought in.  Wiltjer said, “I was mad about how I was playing.  I was embarrassed.”

Cal said he’s telling his guys that life will be so much better when they change their attitude.  “Ask Josh Harrellson,” he tells them.  “Ask DeAndre Liggins.”

The news on Willie Cauley-Stein is there is no new news on Willie Cauley-Stein.

… although Jerry Tipton tweeted that he saw Willie wearing practice clothes and only a support small bandage around his knee.  However, Tipton did not report on whether or not the bandage was Gucci, Prada or any other designer brand.  I assume its ACE.

Lack of depth means more undeserved playing time for some.

He said some guys are playing 30 minutes per game when they should only be playing three or four.  That means they’re having to stay in the game after an error/mental lapse when Cal would like to yank them out.

A media member has the Space Jam theme song as his/her ringtone.

A phone (being used as a tape recorder on the podium) went off while Calipari was speaking and continued to play until the caller hung up.  Cal asked, “Whose is this?”  But no one responded.

Who was it???

“Everybody get up, it’s time to slam now.  We got a real jam goin’ down.  Welcome to the Space Jam.  Here’s your chance, do your dance at the Space Jam, alright.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for The Quad City DJs Want Notes From John Calipari’s Press Conference

1. I Say
    3:43 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

singing that song in my head gives me chills haha

2. okolona max
    3:44 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

1st

3. okolona max
    3:44 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

oops, love me some space jam

4. Zac
    3:45 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Also from the movie:

“I want to fly like an eagle
    To the sea
    Fly like an eagle
    Let my spirit carry me
    I want to fly like an eagle
    Till I’m free
    Oh, Lord, through the revolution ”

Loved that movie as a kid and still love it now. It has some great music and some very funny guys.

5. Sam
    3:46 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Love it. I think we are improving. Change is hard. Any one of US can testify to that. Are YOU making personal changes in life, or your professional career that you KNOW you should make?? Well we expect that out of the players, but do we do it ourselves? I know I must do better, for my own happiness. It’s tough esp when you don’t have a coach motivating you, and no doubt when you do have coaches motivating you. It’s hard, But Kyle has discovered the blessings that come from hard work.

Hopefully that newfound work ethic will be contagious!

6. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:47 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Haha, that media tidbit is hilarious. Not only do they have a ridiculous ring, but they let it keep going. And then played dumb. Classic.

7. I Say
    3:52 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

O and no one waited till the end of the press conference to see who picked up the phone?

8. Steve
    3:52 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Tipton’s Phone.

9. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:53 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

I’ve seen this before with one player picking up the intensity and “showing up” the other guys. That means the team formerly had an unspoken agreement to “take it easy” during practice. No kidding, I’ve been there. Now one of two things could happen: 1. everyone else catches on and throws down with Kyle or 2., they ignore it long enough til it fades away.

Hopefully it’ll be the former, but bad practices habits are hard to break and, like this article said, some players are getting undeserved time so there’s really no added motivation to try to “one up” the other guys.

10. David
    4:10 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

What we need is “Michael’s secret stuff.”

11. CJAZZY4UK
    4:11 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

About lost it on the line about the brand of bandage WCS was wearing.

– John Short for President

12. Bugs Bunny
    4:44 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

10 is absolutely right.

13. Brandon
    5:05 pm January 25, 2013 Permalink

Drew… Don’t you ever leave us! You are the soul of this operation as no one else could have thrown in the bandage joke like you did. Well, maybe Ms. Tyler but she is a close 2nd. Solid stuff as always… Thank you sir!