The Pooles Make Managing a Family Affair

Jeffrey (left) and Myles Poole take time out of their busy managing schedule to strike a pose.

There are a lot of little things that you rarely think of, that have to happen everyday in order for an SEC football school to run smoothly. When you look to the sidelines on gameday, there are about as many people wearing UK polos running around as there are players wearing jerseys. That leads me to think, who are those people and what do they do? Well most of them are equipment mangers or trainers, and lucky for me 2 of my friends can tell me all about it.

Myles and Jeffrey Poole literally grew up in Commonwealth Stadium.  Their parents, Jeff and Mary, have been taking their sons (including the eldest Mack) to games and their great red lot tailgate spot since they were born. All of the Poole boys played football with me at DeSales High School and Jeff is still an assistant coach. Myles led our team in tackles and rushing yards his Senior en route to a Final Four appearance (only the 2nd in school history at the time) and is now a 5th year senior on the managing staff. Jeffrey led the team in receiving his Senior and played on our 2009 State Runner-up Team. I sat down with the guys the other to figure out what it’s like to be apart of the Wildcat Football Team.

What got you guys started in the managing business?

Myles: I always wanted to be apart of the Kentucky Football program because our family has always been around it. My Dad and his older brother have had season tickets since the late 70s. They couldn’t afford basketball so they went with football. We’ve always had a love for the program and figured if we couldn’t play for UK, we could at least be on the field and help out.

What’s a typical day in the life of a Kentucky Football manager?

Jeffrey: Well you wake up early in the morning depending on your class schedule. You come here and do a little laundry, fold towels or something like that, then you have to set up for practice. Then there’s practice; sometimes a coach will need you to help with a drill, like today I was playing cornerback for the receivers. Sometimes we even have to be referees for team periods.

Myles: We’re not standing around with our thumbs up our ass, that’s for sure. But the day ends usually with more laundry, you go to class and wake up the next morning and do it all over again. It’s a constant grind so to speak.

As someone who gets to cover KY football I get some pretty cool perks that the kid in me would love. What’s the coolest part about being a manager?

Myles: It would have to be having the inside scoop with players, getting to know them not from a fan level but a personal level because we have to be around them everyday. Getting to know the guys and helping them out is pretty cool. Going to road games and traveling around the SEC is pretty sweet; going to the different stadiums around the country and seeing what SEC football is really all about.

Jeffrey: For me it’s close to the same thing. I like getting to know the players on a personal level like that. You get to bond with everybody inside the program instead of just being a fan. When you’re a fan you think you know them, but when you’re a manager you really do know them. You know what they go through and you know how tough it is to be a college athlete. Nothing is like gamedays, home or away, and being in that atmosphere it’s great.

There’s got to be some days where you feel like those managers that we used to pick on in high school, what’s the worst thing you all have to do as managers?

Myles: The worst thing we have to deal with, besides waking up at 5:45 every morning, is the hours probably. Like during camp we pull 14 hour days everyday. In terms of the actual job there’s just things you don’t want to do, like dealing with laundry, nice stinky nasty laundry. Some tasks are just really annoying. One of the things we have to do on gamedays is cleaning all of the cleats and all of the helmets. He have to make them look good and its an arduous process that takes about 4 hours to go through all of the helmets, but it’s worth it in the end.

Jeffrey: The players do look pretty good, if I say so myself. They’ve got swagger, and it’s all because of us.

On a more serious note, what does KY football mean to you guys?

Jeffrey: Being a part of this it’s a special experience. It gives you a totally different view on any athletics because you know what these guys go through everyday. Just being with KY football, it’s one of our dreams.

Myles: For somebody that’s grown up with it, I know that ever since I was a little kid I was dreaming about putting on the Blue and White. It’s an awesome experience for somebody that grew up a KY fan to be really apart of the program, maybe not as a player but at least to be a part of it and around the team. It’s special.

Myles you’ve been around the program awhile, what’s the one memory you have that you’ll tell your grandkids?

Myles: That’s a tough one I’ve got a few. Our victory against Auburn, when we beat them down there which was the first time in 47 years was pretty awesome. Up here, I think that the win over Tennessee would definitely be something to talk about but that’s a little obvious. But I’d like to share with my grandkids a lot about the camaraderie we get with the players out here in practice.

Jeff technically now you’re an upperclassmen, what are you looking forward to most now that you can boss kids around?

Jeffrey: At least now I don’t have to do the REAL dirty jobs like taking out the trash or sweeping up after long days. Really the best part about being an upperclassmen is that you get to go to more road games. I want to go to Florida and Missouri this year, I should get two of them this year.

When it’s said and done, what are the Poole’s plans once this college thing is over?

Myles: I’m going to take the knowledge I learned here from the coaching staff and maybe take it into coaching. After being around football you have an idea of how you’re supposed to coach I’ve really thought about taking that into coaching. I could coach strength and conditioning having learned from Rock. You get good connections while being a manager and you get to learn how things work in Division I, which really helps you once college is over.

Jeffrey: If my major works out I want to have my own Physical Therapy business. But if that doesn’t work out this has really made me interested in coaching for the same reasons as Myles.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

23 Comments for The Pooles Make Managing a Family Affair

1. gobgblu37
    12:13 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Very nice interview, takes alot of hard working individuals to have a successful program! GBB!!!

2. theWilkman
    12:17 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Nice article. Spelling note for future reference: “apart” means separately, off to the side, fall to pieces, etc.

3. Catsgear
    12:33 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

DeSales and UK manager alum…..great interview! It’s a grind. Not your typical college student life!

4. Catcaptain16
    12:36 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

GREAT article about two hard working young men. Nick Roush has done a wonderful job since joining the KSR staff. This article really gets to the behind the scenes work that goes into the football program. Without these type guys, it would be like a hospital without nurses. Keep up the good work boys and keep up the excellent work Nick.

5. bigbluebear
    12:39 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

You picked on the managers in high school? not cool man. not cool.

6. Andrew Beeler
    12:48 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Went to high school with all 3 of them. Great guys with tremedious work ethics. #DeSalians

7. HicksPickSix
    12:50 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Nick, you’ve done an amazing job in the short time you’ve spent writing for KSR! You should take Corey Nichols’ 9 AM spot ASAP!

8. Goose/Brothers and Friends
    12:51 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Great guys/great family. Congrats from all of your friends in Sec 140!

9. NEWMAN
    1:52 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

You clearly spent a lot of time writing this, it would be in your best interest to proof your work before publishing it.

— The title: “The Poole’s Make Managing a Family Affair” that apostrophe is unnecessary. It’s a plural of members of the Poole family.

— The first bolded section: “who are those people and what do they?” should be “who are those people and what do they do?”

— Like #2 said, “apart” should be “a part”

I stopped reading after the third elementary mistake. Typos and grammatical errors seem to be a prerequisite to write for KSR, but with the site’s growing readership this should be higher on the priority list.

10. Danny DeTalente
    1:53 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Great job Nick!! Didn’t even know you were writing for KSR!? Keep up the good work! The pooles are deserving of an interview!

11. Derek
    2:49 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

#9 I wish the spelling police would take a hike. This is a fun blog. Not a newspaper, etc. Just like everything else in the world writing styles are changing. Our writing style has changed over time and is now being influenced by texting, etc. These stories are not about the spelling or punctuation. The stories are about the people. So at the end of the day if you get the point then mission accomplished. I always hate when someone tells me I misspelled a word. Ok…You understood the word so what is your point?

12. topshelfyaknow
    3:49 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

good post, the athletic trainers do a lot of hard work as well.

13. gillespieskoosie
    4:20 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

A—>B nice article bro.

14. It's ok, I know them
    4:40 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

In college, and they still dress the same…what losers

15. cameron robinson
    4:42 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if nick did this interview before or after he was suspended from practice lol

16. Brian Fleck
    5:14 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Congrats Jeffrey and Myles, great article, although you’re not the first set of brothers to work for Tom K. I worked with the Megibben brothers, Hart & John, back in the 80’s. Nice to see show things haven’t changed.

17. Brian Fleck
    5:34 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Oh and who left the *%#@ kicking net in Athens!!!!

18. spelling policeman
    7:30 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

#11, I wish everyone who tries to be a “writer” would learn to proofread their own work. Mistakes say a lot about the writer. I have thrown many employment applications in the trash because of how poorly (the younger generation, in most cases) communicates in writing. Texting is a poor excuse, and something I refuse to do.

Here is another KSR example……….

“As someone who gets to cover KY football I get some pretty cool perks that the kid in me would love. What’s the coolest part about being a MANGER?”

My response? I would hate to be a MANGER, unless, of course, it was the one described in the Bible. Otherwise, you are simply a food trough for animals……learn to spell and use grammar correctly and you will gain a more positive audience. KSR only seems to hire writers who, well, can’t write very well…….. If you don’t want criticism of spelling and grammar, do a better job of reviewing your work before you hit the “send” button……. Sad….

19. Lisa Wentworth
    7:51 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

Some of these comments are just NEGATIVE!!!! I guess noone got the meaning of the story. It’s about two guys who grew up living and breathing UK football and now they get to be apart of UK football. these two guys are GREAT young men and deserve all good things in life. I think their hard work is a testament to the way their parents raised them. Good job Jeff and Mary!

20. Marilyn Leicht
    8:44 pm August 23, 2012 Permalink

A fun article about a unique situation. How many D-1 teams have brothers working as managers, whose family is devoted UK fans, attending games from a very early age??!!!! We have sons the same age that played ball in high school with Myles and Jeff and were coached by their father. All these young men loved playing football and our sons have gone on to play at the University level. Myles and Jeff both had the ability to play beyond high school but their devotion to UK and football channeled their current positions “on a team” that they have always loved. Nick asked some insightful questions highlighting the long hours, tough work and perks this job entails. As far as the criticism, don’t take it personal–analyze it for future articles and keep writing. Good job!!

21. Nick Roush
    9:29 am August 24, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for all the feedback positive and negative. It feels good when people appreciate your work. And yes, my grammar gets sloppy, but bear with me while its early in the school year. Didn’t expect to have all these people reading my stuff as soon as I get the ball rolling with school, but Im a big boy I can take it

22. Anita Roush
    10:42 am August 24, 2012 Permalink

Thanks to Matt Jones for giving a college student a chance at writing for KSR Sports Radio. Also, thanks to the readers who have given constructive criticism to his writing. It is just like a youthful quarterback who makes a simple error and someone criticizes their ability to perform for the rest of the season.Remember what your mother has always told you. “You have been born gifted in many ways. Be thankful and take advantage of these gifts, by continuing to have the courage to pursue your dreams.” Your Dad and I are proud of you son.You have a special writing talent. You will just have to find a way to juggle full time college, part time job, and writing for KSR sports. Also, remember what Nana says ” Books and girls don’t mix”. Great job Nick! Love, Mom and Dad Roush

23. theWilkman
    12:39 pm August 24, 2012 Permalink

Nick, keep it up. The article was insightful, much different than the normal stuff on here. My earlier comment (and the rest from the “spelling police”) were just pointers to keep little mistakes from taking away from what was otherwise a great piece. Some people (11, 19) may be fine with mistakes, but in my opinion you will go a lot further without them. I look forward to your next piece!