I went on a nice little road trip across the Bluegrass state this weekend, and by far the oddest thing I saw was this Rick Pitino/Denny Crum mural in the Texas Roadhouse in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. Now, we must assume it was made while Rick was at UK and Denny at UofL, but that doesn’t even begin to explain the bizarreness of it. Let’s just jump right in with some questions and observations:
1) Why is Rick a wizard? We idolized him at the time, yes, but did we really think he was magical?
2) The planets floating in the sky are basketballs, as is the crystal ball
3) Why is Denny Crum’s head in a crystal basketball? Was the artist some odd prophet that predicted Rick would end up with Denny’s job? Or is it just some kind of strange rivalry smack talk–er, art?
4) What exactly is in the decanter?
5) Notice the plays drawn up on parchment on the table
6) Rick needs to watch himself with that magic wand
Does anyone have any insight into this odd piece of art?