The oddest piece of UK/UofL art you’ll see today

I went on a nice little road trip across the Bluegrass state this weekend, and by far the oddest thing I saw was this Rick Pitino/Denny Crum mural in the Texas Roadhouse in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. Now, we must assume it was made while Rick was at UK and Denny at UofL, but that doesn’t even begin to explain the bizarreness of it. Let’s just jump right in with some questions and observations:

1) Why is Rick a wizard? We idolized him at the time, yes, but did we really think he was magical?
2) The planets floating in the sky are basketballs, as is the crystal ball
3) Why is Denny Crum’s head in a crystal basketball? Was the artist some odd prophet that predicted Rick would end up with Denny’s job? Or is it just some kind of strange rivalry smack talk–er, art?
4) What exactly is in the decanter?
5) Notice the plays drawn up on parchment on the table
6) Rick needs to watch himself with that magic wand

Does anyone have any insight into this odd piece of art?

39 Comments for The oddest piece of UK/UofL art you’ll see today

1. tom
    10:36 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

There are a number of terms I could use to describe this but “beautiful” is not one of them. Sorry

2. Dee
    10:38 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

Kinda….Kentucky Fantasia meets Louisville Wizard of OZ…..

3. Weird. Just weird.

4. Jax Teller
    10:43 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

What. The. Hell?

5. OoogieBoogie
    10:44 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

That’s the best thing I’ve seen on this site in a while…

6. Blue_Cat75
    10:47 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

That was painted when the restaurant was being built. Been there a long time.

7. Alex Legions MOM is a top Artist
    10:52 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

Alex Legions mom drew this in the past after a long winters night…and had bob ross’ top successor draw it with an ivory handled detal painting knife…which sequentially caused Bobby Knight realize no UK students ever took a class…

8. Dee
    10:53 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

I think the artist is David Soileau

9. RJ
    10:56 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

Like number 6 said, this painting has been there since the restaurant opened in the 90’s. I laugh at it every time I eat in that place.

10. 10011010110
    10:57 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

It’s only been up on the wall since….. 1996?

11. Harvey Gene
    11:01 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

This is the worst place to eat in Etown. The food is awful and so are the paintings.

12. Blue_Cat75
    11:06 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

#11 You are out of you mind. Texas Roadhouse has the best steaks in town!

13. JortsJr.
    11:11 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

Check your twitter for contact info Tyler. I may have gotten us a free steak in this. How about a KSR show at TRH in ETown?

14. JortsJr.
    11:14 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

Sorry #11, but they smoke Longhorn (just opened up in ETown)
    Texas Outlaw Barbeque (right behind Texas Roadhouse) has the Best BBQ.

15. Cats Fan
    11:24 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

That painting is stupid. Sorry but it is. I’m sure it was an attempt to portray Pitino as being superior to Crum, but by putting Crum’s head in the crystal ball you make it the opposite. Dumb.

16. kilojw
    11:27 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

TEXAS ROADHOUSE IS THE BEST PLACE IN TOWN!!!!!!
    Kids night is monday and its .99 also they have a military appreciation night on tue 20% off. Our family and friends love this place. Keep up the great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. I must own this
    11:27 am August 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m a huge UL Fan. My boss, who is a huge UK fan, just sent me this link. I must own this. No price is too great. I will pay for them to build a new wall if I have to.

18. Duuuuuude
    12:25 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

#11 is out of his mind. Best value in E-town, and perhaps the best steaks. The E-town TRH is one of the busiest franchises in the company for good reason.

19. 430 West Vine
    12:33 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Merlin the Magician, keeper of the keys to Camelot…..

20. John short doesnt like pizza
    12:35 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

It took me longer to read the questions. Than it takes rick to have relations.

21. Iowacat
    1:32 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

What is with the perspective in the mural? The table is tripping me out. Maybe they are actually supposed to be out in space and it’s floating away?

22. FloydsScissors
    1:35 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

I’d like to buy it…………..so I can burn it!

23. UKBlue
    1:40 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

#17 You do realize this painting is making fun of UL?

This picture is beyond weird.

If people think Texas Roadhouse has the best steaks, well, you have never had a good steak. Places with great steaks don’t also serve buckets of peanuts.

24. Musehobo
    1:50 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

The perspective is off, but it seems purposeful, and abstractly, it works. What bothers me more is the tension point created by having the wand and table meet at the corner, and at nearly the same angle. For someone who has a pretty good mastery of light and color, this is an amateur artist mistake. I’ve seen better work by folk artists carved into tables in Mexican restaurants.

And to provide insight. I think the idea was that Rick must be able to look into the minds of his opponents to draw up such masterful gameplans. Still funny though.

25. blade
    2:05 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

don’t care. it’s all about WILDCAT BASKETBALL. NOTHING ELSE.

26. Blue_Cat75
    2:05 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Wow! I love how someone can critique a painting by looking at a poorly taken picture in a dimly lit restaurant at an odd angle. You must truly be a master of light and color. Maybe you can submit a photo of your own painting so we can compare.

27. Jr Braddy's Fade
    2:50 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

On TV Dicky V used to say “Kentucky has Rick Pitino, the little magician, baby!”

28. Chicago Chris
    3:25 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

I like that the artist reproduced a very popular photo of Pitino, even though his expression doesn’t fit what’s going on in the painting. Pitino’s not even looking in the direction of Denny in the ball (also from a popular photo of Crum).

29. MothersMilk
    3:53 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

What the hell is Rick doing with his right hand …. Getting ready to pay the tab at Porcini’s?

30. BilLDozer
    3:56 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

#23…I believe they are just saying that is it the best in E-Town, not that they have the best steak in the business.

31. Karen Sypher
    4:14 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

That’s the table from Porcini’s.

32. justlew
    4:30 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

@31 Amateur, the joke would have been Rick Painted the underside of a table at porcini’s, and in true magician form, made his dignity disappear in 15 seconds

33. justlew
    4:33 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

@29, his hand is holdnghis wand…awesome

34. Spice
    4:51 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

I live close to Etown, and have been in that restaurant many of times. No, it hasn’t been there while Rick was at UK. It’s fairly new actually…I always request a seat to the opposite side of it so I don’t ruin my appetite

35. I must own this
    5:20 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

#23, Yeah, it probably is making fun of UL, but it’s still the most insane sports related thing I have ever seen. At one time, Crum was supposed to be the successor to Wooden, who was the “Wizard of Westwood.” Perhaps it’s implying that 90s era Pitino became the new John Wooden, much to the chagrin of Denny Crum? Who cares? It’s ****ing nuts and I love it.

36. duuuuude
    5:50 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

poop smoothie

37. Wild Turkey 101
    6:02 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

A Texas Roadhouse owner told me those paintings in the bar area cost about $2,000.

38. Trojanman14
    6:36 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Yea I’m from Etown. That’s been there as long as I can remember. My ex girlfriend was a die hard UofL fan and I alway made her sit right by it when we are there just to piss her off and remind her that Pitino had waaaay more success at UK than he has at UofL and Louisville is basically having our sloppy seconds.

39. Carnifex
    6:55 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

No Texas Roadhouse does not have the best steaks. They do have the best in E-town, sad to say. And I should know. I have carni- in my name. The picture is so awfull it creates a blank spot in my vision though.