The Next Game on the Schedule’s Late Night Notes

If you guys know of a UK – U of L storyline that hasn’t been explored this week, then let me know. We’ve had to withstand the excruciatingly long five days since this match up was decided and now it’s only a few hours away. If there was one point stressed today, it was this: Tomorrow’s game is just the next one on the schedule for these two teams. The rivalry aspect is the one obsessed over by the media and the fans, but to the guys on the team this is just another stepping stone on the way to immortality.

Nothing embodies that more than the article by Jeff Eisenberg about the friendships between players on the opposing teams. In it Eisenberg talks about Doron Lamb’s friendship with Russ Smith, Terrence Jones’ tie to Peyton Siva and Anthony Davis’ bond to Wayne Blackshear. If you don’t check it out, let me note two of the best Doron Lamb quotes I’ve ever seen. Talking about Smith he said, “I didn’t want to play on his team because he didn’t pass the ball. Even when I played against him though, he shot the ball all the time.” He added that Smith had a propensity for pranks saying, “He’d do all these pranks. If you were on a trip and you went to sleep around him, next thing you knew you’d be all wet.” I have no idea what that means and I don’t really want to know. All I care about is that Chane Behanan wakes up ‘all wet’.

That being said, this game is about the state of Kentucky more than anything and the entire state of Kentucky is currently in New Orleans. From unofficial reports on Twitter, I’ve heard that UK and Louisville fans outnumber Kansas and Ohio State fans by about four to one and that UK fans outnumber Louisville fans two to one on Bourbon Street. I’m not good at math, but if those number hold up in the Superdome then UK fans should hold a slight advantage over all other fans combined. Maybe? Doesn’t matter. Our fans are the best and the loudest. It’ll be nice to have an advantage though. I’d wager that none of the OSU or Kansas fans will be cheering too hard for Kentucky over Louisville in the first game.

– What happens when you barely miss out on making the Final Four? Crime. That’s what.

Anthony Davis won another Player of the Year award. This one was presented to him by Oscar Robertson. That’s pretty cool.

The team is ready for this game and the fans have been ready for a long, long time. By the way they were at practice it seems that the shooters are making shots in the dome and everyone is generally loose. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist told media today that he doesn’t get nervous. If MKG says it, then I don’t need a second opinion. We’ll have more for you guys all day tomorrow. Remember to breathe. Six o’clock will be here sooner than you know it.

Article written by Matthew Hays

40 Comments for The Next Game on the Schedule’s Late Night Notes

1. Houston Wildcat
    11:35 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Go cats! 78 – 63 big blue all the way!

2. Ridge Runner
    11:46 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

There’s been so much said this week, we have enough left over for all of us to take a break next year when we usually do “hate week” before the Loserville game. Hell, I’m exhausted.

3. Just wondering
    11:50 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

IU game was as big as a game could be.Never mind it wasn’t in the FF because it was one loss and you go home too.Plus they had beaten us so their team had confidence to boot.Still our players were focused and played well.I expect the same today.To the players I don’t think this game has the pressure the IU game did and I think IU has a beater coach then UL does

4. Richard
    11:51 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

Anyone need a loan? HAHAHA I won bitches!

5. UKBlue
    11:56 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

I hope Chris Smith & Behanan are shut out as much as they run their mouths !! I hope Kuric & Russ Smith go 0 for 30 !! I hope none of our boys get hurt because UL & Pitino are going to play rough especially when we’re beating them. I hope Pitino gets a case of the runs !! I hope we pound UL into the ground so bad, UL fans are too embarrassed to even open their mouths.

6. Just wondering
    11:56 pm March 30, 2012 Permalink

OSU and Kansas will be a dog fight.They very well could have the winner of that game on fumes for the NC game,Just like the MINN. And UK game did for zona in 1997.I just can’t see our game being that tight #4 I’m glad your happy what did you win.

7. UK clay

Fortunate sons.
    To be the ones.
    To play.
    On.

10. ARDEE
    12:35 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Currently on I-59 S between meridian and Hattiesburg and I can officially confirm that BBN has occupied I-59 S. 3 out of 4 vehicles that aren’t semis are flying UK flags. Gonna be an epic next few days.

11. Cawood2Cal
    1:15 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Matt Hays can say the rivalry aspect is out of it for our players, but I don’t think that’s entirely possible. It rubs off from the faithful. And that’s a great thing for a Kentucky player. They will always look back on this game and our fans pulling them through. This bunch thrives when the stakes are high. I can’t sleep knowing another great chapter is only 17 hours away. CATS by 12.

12. Late Night Ready Recommendation
    1:26 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

The real John Calipari is all about family

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

13. ROLL TIDE
    2:00 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

He SAYS, “I DON’T WANNA HEAR ABOUT DUKE – NORTH CAROLINA..”

Funny. I live down here in Bama. My dad graduated from UofL but raised me RIGHT, so I “get” what Pitino said about bringing it back to Kentucky on Monday no matter which team it is.

Lot’s of family on both sides of the river. Excitement!!!! I wish my grandmother was still alive… DAMN she would be giddy. GO CATS DAMMIT!!!!

Oh yeah, that was Pat Forde, and Greg Anthony just smiled…..

14. Andy
    2:10 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

I am down here right now and as far as bourbon st. Goes us UK fans were outnumbered. Now I do think that the reason behind this is Louisville fans do not have jobs and thus have been able to mass fans.But I am sure by gametime tomorrow that will all change.

15. ROLL TIDE
    2:26 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

16. australiacatfan
    2:27 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

hello, nervous as hell in Melbourne, does anyone know some good websites where I can stream this game. the march madness official website does not stream in Australia. I was happy to pay the 4 bucks (3.86 AUD) but it will not work. Any suggestions. My Aussie wife votes Doron Lamb as MOP..GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!

17. ROLL TIDE
    2:48 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

I would bet you could get it somewhere like cbs.com for free…. if that doesn’t work this always works. Just search….

Oh yeah remember it’s gonna be a

18. dustin
    3:18 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

It’s 3:15 in the morning and I have never wished time would go so fast. Can’t wait for the game. This one will go down in history. Enjoy everything about this one. Let’s getter done. 8pril is almost here….go CATS!

19. My Girl Gotta Girlfriend
    4:29 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

The reason Louisville fans out number the cats down in NOLA is because most UK fans were just there couple weeks ago and went to Atlanta too….Majority of UL fans didnt travel out west…who would be able to unless had enough spare change. Driving down 12hours is not that big of a deal so this is the First UL tournament game fans will get to see.

20. 430 West Vine
    6:52 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Let’s do this………

21. cobra67
    6:56 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Go Big Blue.Lets do this!!!!!!!!!

22. DavisBrow
    7:17 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Good morning BBN. Rise and shine and lets take this thing all the way to 8pril.

23. fred
    7:20 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Game day baby! Let’s go CATS!!!

24. Axe Cop
    7:26 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

19. Who’s saying card fans outnumber UK fans?

25. UK's Freshmen
    8:01 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

‘We have more fans than you do!! Nah, nah,nah, na-a-na….’. How freakin’ childish.

26. Sammydog
    8:24 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

It doesn’t matter how many UK fans are there because all the other teams will join UL fans in rooting against the Cats. The underdog always captures the other fans. Crowd will be against us.

27. Traveling Cats Fan
    8:30 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Outnumbered on bourbon street?!

We are on our way and brining backup. Couldn’t leave until after work last night.
    Cards fans don’t have jobs so they could leave anytime really!

C A. T. S CATS CATS CATS

28. Eric K
    8:49 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Damn is it game time yet, been a long week! BBN show your PRIDE!! GO CATS!! Oh yeah CATS by 12!! GO CATS!!

29. Al's IndiCats
    8:56 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Other than one hiccup these CATS play unbelievable when the crowd has us out numbered. If anything these guys will flourish. Besides they’ll only be rooting for Loserville a short while because UK will build a substantial lead by the middle of the first half, and Kan-ass and Blow-hio will be getting their fill of Buffalo wing flavored Wheat Thins at the concession stands

30. Sammydog
    9:15 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Yes, I don’t think it matters that with the exception of Kentucky fans the arena will be against us. It could be to our advantage.

31. Eric K
    9:28 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

KENTUCKY state law say’s that it’s illegal to hunt, capture, or kill a cardinal. It doesn’t say anything about KICKING it’s ASS!! Come on game time!! GO CATS!!

32. Rixter719
    9:36 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

9:35 am, maybe the biggest game in UK history, and we’re still reading last night’s threads?

How about a game day thread, guys??

33. Eric K
    9:39 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

#32 you beat me to it!! THANKS!!

34. Matt Jones
    9:41 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

If we somehow lose, my radio show and blog are history.

35. markp
    9:56 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

34 No problems!

36. Ridge Runner
    10:02 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

There are what…perhaps 20+ KSR writers counting the college kids? I don’t know but my point is this is the biggest day many would say in our history, –and no blog entry yet? I yi yi.

37. I take one exception to this. Matthew says “The rivalry aspect is the one obsessed over by the media and the fans, but to the guys on the team this is just another stepping stone on the way to immortality.”

Really? Then how do you square that with the smack-talk that the Card players have been running? I believe that statement applies to UK to a large degree, but to UL, not so much.

38. Martha
    10:02 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

#32 I know right? It’s now 10am no new posts.

39. Rolltide, those links are great!

I still cannot VEHEMENTLY disagree with Cal more in the one article when he says if we win it all but don’t get anyone drafted that the season is a failure, but I know he’s trying to do both, so GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. mgcat
    10:37 am March 31, 2012 Permalink

Late Night Ready Recommendation – great article … would have loved to have been around that table with Cal. I notice that Cal doesn’t seem to be a drinker, always has a soda. Wonder what that says about Pitino’s statement about them “having a beer together?”