The NBA is second-rate to college ball

flop

With the NBA season now in full swing post-Christmas and seeing all the joy my peers are exhibiting, I’m here to rain on the parade. I hate the NBA and I hate the bitter taste in leaves in my mouth. I’ll get right to the point: Before you even think about it, don’t bring up skill level, because the talent is obviously greater in the professional ranks. It’s not about merchandise sales, because dumb people can buy dumb things. It’s not about fan support or market share, because all of that is subjective. It’s about the whole package we as fans see on the court. It’s about the enjoyment. And to me, there is nothing enjoyable in watching prima donnas run and sometimes flop on the court for, in the grand scheme of things, a worthless 48 minutes. Team play, sportsmanship and the environment are just a few reasons college ball is better. The NCAA is a completely different animal than the NBA, and is a far superior breed. Here’s why:

Right off the bat, the NBA regular season is meaningless. Compared to other professional sports like the MLB which is an endurance marathon where long-term goals matter; the NFL where week after week teams are jockeying for position for the playoffs, slip up more than a couple of times and you lose ground; and college basketball where every game is a upset waiting to happen. The NBA is just an 82 game pre-season. Cinderella stories don’t happen; a team like Butler from the past two seasons would never win like that in the NBA. There is no parity in the teams, almost every year there’s a Western Conference favorite and an Eastern Conference favorite. In college there are always 20 or 30 teams capable of taking it all on any given day.

Is there anything more boring than the NBA playoffs? You can point to individual plays, maybe specific games, but it takes two and a half months to get through. By the time we reach the end does anyone even remember how we got there? Talk about a terrible post season format. Sixteen teams make up four rounds of best-of-seven. There are a couple of things wrong with that. First, it’s too watered down. The NBA has 30 teams, and if 16 teams get in, that means 53% of the league makes the playoffs. Compare that to college ball with 342 teams and 65 making it, that’s 19%. It means something to make March Madness. Secondly, a possible 28-game post season is disproportionate to an 82-game regular season. And what’s with all the days off between games? Suck it up ladies, you don’t need a two-game break every other night. Each sport should have an exciting tournament, but the NBA is far from it.

There are knuckleheads in every league, no doubt, but the NBA is jammed packed of drama queens, crybabies and all-around overpaid jerks. Every time I turn on SportsCenter during the NBA season I see Kobe crying on a missed shot he got his hand slapped, or LeBron flaunting his ego-fueled game, taking five steps to the basket for a score. I can’t look at the NBA as anything but a circus sideshow. And if that’s what I wanted, the Harlem Globetrotters are still playing and are far more entertaining. It appears the vast majority of college athletes play for the love of the game and the school on their jersey. It’s cliché but true, you can see it. Professional basketball is a league of individuals concerned about their own image, not the team, and that annoys me to no end.

I would have to strain myself to name two or three NBA coaches who have a real legacy in coaching before I rattled off a dozen or more college coaches and their styles. The reason is the NBA has no coaching – just run your players out on the floor and let them play their five man one-on-one. A prime example is Erik Spolestra last season for the Miami Heat who had zero control over his team. It was the LeBron Show, the Dwayne Wade Show and Whatever-Other-Superstar-They-Had Show. I’ll give you Phil Jackson and his Triangle offense or a notable name like Pat Riley, but aside from a few it’s the college ranks where you see real, honest coaching. You have Calipari’s dribble-drive, Pitino’s press, Boeheim’s zone. Actual things you can point to and say, “Wow, those guys really contributed to the game.” I get none of that with the NBA. You can’t put any NBA coach, past or present, on the same level as a Rupp, Wooden, or if we’re being unbiased, Krzyzewski or Knight.

I could go on and on. Understand this is my view on the matter, however. I have a feeling I’m not alone in these sentiments here in the heart of college basketball country, where the Cats are King. Yes, there are arguments the NBA can make against college; this article is only one side of the story. I’m all for rooting on former Cats in the NBA, too. In fact, if there were a way to just watch highlights of former-UK players in the NBA every night I’d bookmark it and watch religiously. Somebody get on that. But when it comes to sitting down and watching a pro basketball game I just can’t do it. I’d rather watch New Mexico Community College play UC-Santa Barbra at two o’clock in the morning than a prime-time NBA Finals game. And I’m not joking. So, for those of you who disagree… do your best NBA all-star impersonation and throw a temper tantrum. Let the hate flow.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

171 Comments for The NBA is second-rate to college ball

1. NavyKat
    8:06 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Amen brother! The NBA sucks balls. It is all about the size of your posse and how much bling and tats you can cover your body with.

2. NBA Commish
    8:06 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

First! Screw you young man!

3. Tron
    8:07 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

You cannot write an opinion post and then preemptively guard against opposing opinions by saying “throw a temper tantrum. Let the hate flow.” It completely kills your (poor) argument.

4. BigBlueNationIsWatching
    8:14 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Enes on TNT later tonight against the Lakers!!!

5. Mr Schwump
    8:15 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Both are 2d rate to college football,UK needs to figure that out.

6. Coop
    8:16 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I will never read another article you post again. What an idiot.

7. Old_School
    8:17 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Terrence Jones will fit right in next year.

8. curtis_d
    8:17 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

You’re ignorance is amazing. The talent level argument is the only one a NBA fan needs. And to say the regular season doesn’t matter is extremely ignorant. Last I checked only 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs. That’s like saying the college basketball season doesn’t matter cause everyone makes the tourney. IGNORANT!!!! Outside of UK basketball the NBA dominates college hoops

9. nolablue
    8:17 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

“CHECK PLEASE!” (No tip!)

10. BigBlueSkyDog
    8:18 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I actually enjoyed the NBA games on Christmas day. The Celtics-Knicks game was quite good and so was the Lakers-Bulls. I much prefer college basketball for some of the reasons you cited. The NBA needs to cut back to a 60 game schedule and needs to return to a best of 5 format for the first two rounds.

11. This article sucks
    8:19 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

This is the worst thing I’ve ever read. Why is this even posted?

12. yep
    8:22 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Most years I like to keep up with whats going on in the NBA. This year I couldn’t care less. Also, #8, he clearly staes that here are 16 teams that make the playoffs and that is 59% of the teams.

13. Emerson Biggins
    8:23 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

The NBA doesn’t hold a candle to college ball, and March Madness is the best sporting event on the planet!

14. Boogie
    8:24 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#8 what’s 8 + 8? Do the math. 8 per conference and 2 conferences hmmmmmmm……….. I think that makes 16, just like the writer said

15. Seriously?
    8:24 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Props to Stuart Hammer for consistently terrible posts

16. STUART HAMMER SHOULD BE BANNED
    8:24 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Glad to see you support our former Cats balling in the league. You’re ignorant. Please do everyone a favor and never post again.

17. Cal Purnell here
    8:24 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

haha someone on associated w/ the UK Staff just tweeted they just read the worst post in KSR history!!!

18. Old_School
    8:24 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

19. HoustonWildcat
    8:26 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#17 It was Brandon Weems, Lebron’s good friend from Akron. Of course he likes the NBA it’s how he has a name.

20. Old_School
    8:26 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

plays

21. Wow
    8:26 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Another awful post by stuart hammer, even brandon seems said on twitter its the worst post in jar history, maybe it will be your last?

22. Jared
    8:27 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Wasn’t there an article on KSR during the NBA playoffs this year talking about how anyone who makes an argument like this one obviously hasn’t watched the NBA in several years, and how this kind of argument is worn-out and generally uninformed about the current state of the League? I’m pretty sure there was. I just hope it wasn’t posted by BTI.

23. catsfan54
    8:27 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

YES!!! i agree. good post.

24. Nailed it!
    8:28 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I agree with you 100% Sure, some people will defend the NBA, but the only reason I MAY watch is to see certain individuals. Nothing remotely worth watching as far as basketball goes

25. UK78
    8:28 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Dumb post, again.

26. Teague'sJumper
    8:28 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Weems is a good guy. His buddy Lebron called Teague several times and got him to commit to UK. Sure it was not legal, but who cares!!!

27. Blasphemy
    8:29 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I dislike the NBA….. a lot. But, being UBER honest right now, with the exception of a few rather good points, that rant was a poorly thought out generalization. “The reason is the NBA has no coaching.” It does, to the same degree we have coaching: the sets are there, but so is the freedom. Also, “Is there anything more boring than the NBA playoffs?” Really? If you actually watched…. just a smidgen…. you would know that’s the only time they actually play as if they care. And……”the NBA regular season is meaningless. Compared to other professional sports like the MLB which is an endurance marathon where long-term goals matter” Really? Your justifying the length of the regular season of MLB while at the same time saying the NBA’s is meaningless? Really??…. I mean….. seriously? Because basic math would disagree with you.

28. HammerTime
    8:29 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Terrible post. In fact, your last 3 post have been terrible. Poor structure and even worse opinions.

29. MHFaulkner
    8:31 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Substance aside, this is a poorly written post.

I mean, I’m not looking for Robert Frost to discuss the NBA, but this is pretty well an awful post.

So, you disregard any actual opposing views (Skill,Merchandise,Market Share) because “dumb people will do anything” and “it’s subjective”, and then dive in head first to look like a moron.

30. Kyle
    8:31 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Could not have agreed with the post more. The NBA is so worthless. Its all about money, twitter, and lazy defense. Also, what idiot in college would ever think its appropriate to bring GUNS in a lockerroom over a gambling debt. C’mon now. What a bunch of little immature kids.

31. Old_School
    8:34 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Who cares about the NBA. People have been brainwashed by Cal. Cal has made everyone think our players going to the league is all that matters. What does that have to do with winning an NCAA title? The fact is you don’t need 6 or 7 NBA players (unless you can’t coach) to win an NCAA title. It seems like Cal may need 7 or 8 to get his first one.

32. That was terrible
    8:34 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

That entire post was a temper tantrum. Worst post I’ve ever read on this site.

33. You're an idiot.
    8:36 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Honest to God, this is in the top 5 worst posts ever on KSR. I can’t even allow myself to make an opposing argument, because your argument is just that terrible. Is there a reason this made the cut?

34. malibu
    8:36 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

“I will never read another article you post again. What an idiot.” I’ll second that, stuart you’re a moron!

35. Here's an idea
    8:37 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

If u don’t like the nba DONT WATCH IT!!!!!!! And please don’t comment on it or give your opinion on it. I don’t go on rants everyday about hockey bc I think it sucks, I simply change the channel when it’s on and certainly don’t cry about like this stuart dude

36. random hero
    8:39 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

These past couple years have been the best since the late 90s, the NBA has began to swing back up. Disagree with this post, at this current time. The Cats are king, but the NBA is home to all of our princes.

37. KyFarm
    8:40 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I agree with every sentence, NBA is total absolute crap

38. string music
    8:40 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Old_School, it speaks volumns how jealous you are by being a fan of another team and still being on this web site constantly. Do yourself a favor, make like a tree and get out of here.

39. Saint X
    8:41 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

This kid for sure went to Trinity

40. Dave in Kabul
    8:41 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Why does it have to be either College or NBA Basketball? Limited space in the brain?

I enjoy College Football and the NFL. Should I not?

41. Jared
    8:41 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I Love the NBA

42. JustSaying
    8:41 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

We have several players getting ready for the NBA by flexing, posing and doing the 3 goggles after almost every bucket. Yesterday, Cal sad we don’t run lays and that is not what we do here. Who would have time to run a play, most of the players are too busy styling and profiling like a bunch of thugs. TIt usually works out in our favor.

43. Blake "Real Talk" Thomas
    8:42 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I quit reading this article half way through because i realized how terrible it was and such a waste of time (burn!). I appreciate opinions and I am open minded, but you sir are just blinded by stupidity. I hope you can never write another article again for this website as it just tarnishes the greatness of this website glorifying Kentucky Athletics.

UK Basketball>NBA>NCAA Basketball

CATS!!!!!

44. bluristhurr
    8:42 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

MLB regular season isn’t any better. I’d say it easier for a MLB team to go away from home and win but thats a guess I don’t watch baseball it’s boring PERIOD. Also don’t post again please I read the title and decided to submit a comment before I wasted my time reading your opinion on the NBA. Write about the WNBA if your gonna kill any kind of basketball.

45. Harold
    8:44 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

This writer is trolling us. These are all the things that people say about UK, its players, and its coach. It’s easy to resent the best, but the NBA is far and away the best basketball in the world. Not even close. The level of play is so much higher than that in college.

46. TheTruth
    8:45 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Without the NBA and Nike, Teague is playing for da ville right now. Teague’s big bro got a new shoe deal and Lebron closed the deal by calling Teague multiple times. Without those two things, Teague would not be in blue. So, we should be greatful.

47. BROW-JONES
    8:46 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

agree, NBA sucks. wish ESPN would figure this out and quit talking NFL, College Football and NBA 24/7 and give NCAA Basketball a little press, instead of waiting till March….

48. PittsburghCatFan
    8:48 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Dito Mr. Hammer.

Well said. Fact is, until I got on this web site, I had never met another UK fan that didn’t hold the same opinion of the NBA. I’m 60 and know lots of UK fans. I and everyone that I know, find the NBA about as entertaining as watching paint dry. I will admit to occasionally watching a small part of an NBA game just to see a former UK player, but that is about it.

49. Cal'sBloatedGut
    8:49 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

The only reason all the inbreds are butthurt over this post is because it is all true. It’s also true that UK is the new UNLV of the 90’s (minus a good coach and a title). UK is full of thugged out gangstas. One day Cal will be more hated that the Drunk that almost gave your cheating program the death penalty it deserved.

50. Old_School
    8:52 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Have I proved my point or what? I said I’d return with more unoriginal, even trite ideas, and I have not let you down, have I?

51. Why?
    8:55 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I don’t usually comment, but this is one of the worst posts I have ever read. It is fine if you don’t like the NBA (which makes no sense in itself), but what was the point of this this post? It came out of nowhere and has absolutely nothing to do with anything relevant to this website. The only thing it does is basically bash the career choices of former UK players in the NBA now. DUMB!

52. Oilman in Texas
    8:56 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Couldnt disagree more with this post (opinion). I love basketball. Watching the Celts and Heat at this second. If you don’t enjoy watching Rondo, Wade, James. Garnett, and the purest shooter in the game (Allen)…you need help. IMO I am so glad the NBA is back!

53. BallsMcGee
    8:57 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Cal doesn’t run any plays. I guess he can’t coach either.

54. Dacci
    9:00 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Its probably just me, but I feel the site has gone down hill just a bit. It no longer is the place for late breaking news and witty comments. It is becoming more of a newspaper based on opinion. Just not a fan of the new direction. Miss the days of Matt, Beisner, and Turkey Hunter…

55. Blake "Real Talk" Thomas
    9:00 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Sorry, unless there is meaning to the outcome of the game or you are an alumni or from the state, you cannot like a New Mexico Community College vs UC-Santa Barbra over nba finals.. hell, you can’t like that over the T-wolves vs the Nets. I can’t even watch a meaningless clemson vs wf game over any nba game unless i have a bet on the college game or the college game is close and nba game is a blowout… you know that the players who were the best and that you enjoyed watching the most in college are the ones playing in the nba… right?

56. Tomas
    9:03 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Literally one of the most ignorant post I have ever read on KSR. Apparently you don’t realize that the kids that play in college are the one who play in the NBA. The NBA doesn’t have cinderalla’s because the want to find the best team. I don’t expect everyone to like the NBA because everyone is talented and play at the top of their game it is hard for upsets to occur. You speak about Butler like they played great to make it to the final game, actually they would have lost in the second round if the Pittsburgh kids knew how close a basketball game out, those kind of things don’t happen in the NBA because the players don’t make as many boneheaded mistakes. You bascially are admitting to liking an inferior game.

57. Wheeler
    9:04 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I’m kinda in the fence here. I can see both sides if the argument. I prefer college basketball to the NBA, but I am certainly not opposed to watching the Pros. Sure the big boys get paid well. After all, they are at the absolute highest level. Just keep In mind that a huge part of the college players we love to watch are not only playing for pride and the name on the front of their jersey, but also for hopes of reaching the highest level that is the NBA and the generous paychecks that go along with it. The NBA should however, scale back to a 60 game season and a best of 5 playoff format with a best of 7 championship series to shorten the seemingly endless post season and to make each game have a little more impact. I don’t think this was a bad post. I enjoy reading different opinions, even if they are not exactly the same as my own. Kudos Stuart, for speaking your mind.

58. Blogger Like U Will Kill This Site
    9:07 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

That is about 3 minutes of my life that I will never get back…. What a Tard.

59. curtis_d
    9:08 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#14 my point was that not all teams make it to the playoffs, so the NBA regular season matters. It like saying that the college basketball season doesn’t matter because so many teams make it to the tourney anyway

60. JBR
    9:10 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I completely agree with this post…I hate the NBA. It is horrible basketball unless you like watching one on one play, and the calls are completely one-sided. And, it is one thing that I am slowly starting to not like about all of this one and done stuff for us. Yes it is a good recruiting tool, but the quality of basketball is always going to be tempered by the lack of experience. All of our talk at UK has shifted to how many guys go in the first round…I really don’t give a s**t about that…I care about UK and hanging banners. The nba draft is a good tool to help recruiting, but if we have 100 first round picks and zero championships, we have not accomplished our goals as a program.

61. Designated Drinker
    9:12 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more with the story. The NBA died when MJ retired. There Are just far too many players in the league for merely a paycheck.

62. CoachCal
    9:13 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Players first. Remember, we don’t run plays here. Instead, when we are huddled up in a timeout, I’ll tell you to make a play or do what you do.

63. Wildcat Fan in NC
    9:14 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

ou are speaking to the choir. I could care less about the pros. Did you notice while they were on strike the only people that seemed interested in the strike was ESPN??? Wonder why???

64. Catlanta
    9:15 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Stop pretending to be BTI. It’s hurting my head.

65. Lol
    9:15 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Stuart your an idiot. The NBA game is a much better game than college, only boring at times due to the fact they are so dang good. The college game has lost it’s way in the way due to lack of proper officiating. All you see is grab, hold, slap and push. The college game is all about systems and style of play. The NBA is about the players and playing the game.

If you are a true college fan, as I am, then you got to be a pro fan. The only reason to do anything is to become a pro at it. We as UK fans better hope the NBA is alive and well. And it is!

66. Jerry West
    9:17 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

AMEN BROTHER

67. LoganBleedsBlue
    9:19 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Hey Mr. Hammer thanks for hammering down the NBA. I agree with everything you said in your post 120%. Great post!

68. EightMinusOne=
    9:23 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

@49 Cal’sBloatedGut. UK minus a title? LMAO! You are right my friend. UK doesn’t have “a title”. They have 7. Get off your Daddy’s computer and clean up your room idiot.

69. buckets2378
    9:23 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Dude, if you think Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, Gregg Popovich, Hubie Brown, Larry Brown, just to name a few, aren’t great coaches, than you a dumber than any UofL troll that posts on here. Watch all your Butler and Wisconsin games and how they do it the right way. I’ll watch talent and basketball at high level.

70. The best athletes in the world
    9:25 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

We all agree that arguments against the nba, especially those that claim college basketball is better, are usually the most unentertaining kind of ignorance and assholetry.

71. curtis_d
    9:28 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I’m as passionate a UK fan as the next guy, but don’t let your love of UK basketball spill over to all of college hoops. No one cares about VT vs Florida State. The NBA talent is much higher and more entertaining to watch. Anyone who says that the NBA players are in it for the paycheck, duh. All pro athletes are regardless of sport! Hell college kids are in it to eventually make money, so that argument is pointless

72. Hal
    9:30 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

“market share is subjective” what?
    “there’s no parity in the nba” – there’s a draft. huh?
    “the nba has no coaching” – ……………

haha… is zat you, BTI? lay off the nog.

73. cousin_eddie
    9:32 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I’m watching the Heat/Celts game right now b/c I’m bored out my mind…

74. Makers Man
    9:32 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

First – completely agree with the post. I just tried to watch Celtics — Heat game and had to turn to UL-NC State football game instead. It is just plain unwatchable. Yes, they are the best basketball players in the world, but the game is BORING AS HELL. No defense until last few minutes, no actual offense except one guy goes one on one each time down. And NO consistent effort. Players take plays off all the time.
    Second – #54 is absolutely correct. Writing, content, general greatness of the site has gone way down. Just make it simple again with Matt, Beez, Drew and Turkey Hunter. Thats all we need. They got too big for their britches.

75. cousin_eddie
    9:33 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I remember my first beer

76. cousin_eddie
    9:36 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I don’t mind KSR’s new writers, but honestly never read their posts. I read for the news and links to random UK info that I would not find other places.

77. Redman
    9:37 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Stuart is the BTI, antagonist, of this site. I like the articles that allow subjective thought and opinion. It’s his opinion. My opinion over the last 10 years is that the NBA consistently puts out bad product. Name another sport where a team with a .500 record can beat a team with a .750 record in a best of 7 game series. It doesn’t happen in other sports. Defense wins championships in basketball, until the NBA plays consistent defense it will always lack appeal to me. Good post Stuart, keep up the good work.

78. Tom
    9:38 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

The NBA is fine, I enjoy watching the game of basketball played at the highest level. And I do wish this site would consider getting back to the postings that made it great, I used to check it several times a day, but not so much anymore.

79. Steve K
    9:39 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Honestly, this is terrible. I thought you would get better, but you refuse to even try. I would justify my audacious opinion, however you never do, so what’s the point.

You are in a position that literally thousands of young adults and Kentucky fans around the country would kill for, yet you continue to put out garbage. What ever happened to the blogger contest? There were dozens of witty, interesting and original posts… I recommend that before bringing on any more Stuart’s.

If his last name were Jones or Franklin, I think this would be brilliant example of nepotism.

80. #99
    9:39 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

there is no question that those who have the talent and skill set to play basketball at the highest level, should pursue a career in the nba. why not take the money – that is what capitalism is all about. the problem that i have with the nba is that it is totally counter-culture. their are no role models that i would point to and say to young kids – that is someone you should emulate. the nba sold their soul to the devil may years ago – and that is why i do not support the nba. great post.

81. Voice of reson
    9:41 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Wow, there is so much wrong with what you said, I don’t know where to begin. While I love college basketball, the NBA is a FAR better product. Besides the top tier teams, college basketball is not played at a high level. And while the endings may be exciting, the rest of the game is not fun to watch. To say the regular season doesn’t matter is completely ridiculous. Home court advantage is crucial in the playoffs, and how do you get this? That’s right, by having the better record in the regular season! And whether you want to believe it or not, coaching actually matters a great deal. Were Michael Jordan or Kobe and Shaq winning before Phil got there? And you’re point about Erik Spoelstra is moot considering one of the main reasons they lost in the NBA finals was because Rick Carlisle coached circles around him. The heat were dominating, and the Mavs coaching staff made adjustments tbat led to their turnaround. And finally, the NBA playoffs is sporting at the highest level. While the NCAA tournament is great drama and fun, you are left with a bitter taste because the best teams more often then not don’t win the championship. You don’t get that in the NBA because of the seven game series. This guy is an idiot and hopefully won’t be writing on here anymore.

82. Lol
    9:44 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Boycott CN2, boycott buying UK stuff at stores that sell Uof L and Tenn stuff and he’ll no don’t watch a Uof L football game.

CN2 is trying to cram Uof L down our throat.

Now this would be a good thing to cover on the dammed Kentucky sports radio site, not some crappola like this.

By the way all pro sports are superior to the am sports.

83. cousin_eddie
    9:47 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

You guys are hard on Stuart

84. Voice of reson
    9:48 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

And for those of you that want to argue there’s no defense, it’s impossible to guard the best players in the world consistently. That’s why they’re the greatest athletes in the world.

85. Old_School
    9:54 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Would someone please give a damn about what I am saying? I am trying so hard to troll and failing miserably. Come on, guys, let me troll you. Don’t make me go get drunk, think about Rick Pitino, and masturbate for 15 seconds.

86. cousin_eddie
    9:55 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

NBA: National Boring Association

87. Pat Riley
    10:02 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Typical Kentucky BB fan…..NBA sucks……not real basketball…. blah blah. Listen, I am a UK alum and huge university athletics supporter but in my travels I have found that people who live in big cities follow pro sports and could give a diddly squat about college BB sans the tourney. The NBA is huge in big markets. Take it for what it is (not college BB) and get over yourself. Is college football like the NFL? Lots of option in the NFL eh?

88. Bumpy
    10:02 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

The biggest problem people don’t realize the talent level they are watching…everything they do in even the simplest trip down court is done to perfection. To say it’s an 82 game exhibition is dumb, is our season an exhibition until conference tourney time?

89. JA Brooks
    10:05 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

your a pretty poor writer if you have to “aim” for hate like this. I guess KSR has their own Tipton now… it’s a sad day.

90. World Wide Wes
    10:05 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

You guys should just be thankful that we are getting ready made NBA players and that there are low life parents out there willing to sell out their kids for $$$. Anthony Davis had plenty of offers, but luckily his dad decided our bid was the right price. Teague got some shoe money and we dropped some cash on Jones’ boi from HS. He is what we call the bag man.

91. David Sterns Underwear
    10:07 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I sort of agree with the Hammer. The NBA, as now organized and played, provides a less than impressive product. The NBA simply has too many teams and plays too many games, the talent is diluted and the regular season is a joke. Solution; Contract league to 16 teams (fold the 14 smaller markets). Reduce schedule by 28 games (82 to 54 or about 34%). Begin season the first of November and play about 11 games a month to end season at the end of March. Four teams make the 2 rounds of playoffs (best of 7 series) with final game to be played by May 1st. Teams would keep 15 man rosters with 12 players dressing for each game. All of this, it seems to me, means a stronger NBA with more competitive games (better for fans for sure), but also will mean lower salaries and empty small market arenas and makes too much sense so it will never happen.

…TEAMS TO BE CONTRACTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER….
    1) Atlanta
    11) New Orleans
    12) Oklahoma City
    13) Orlando
    14) Portland

92. flemingcountycat
    10:07 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Here’s a thought- Try watching a game! I’m watching Heat-Celtics while I type this (and reading this crap post), I see Rondo gaurding Lebron on the low block, the Heat fast break, where the ball never touches the floor and 4 players touch it. Ray Allen setting up for a corner 3. There’s always 10 ultra talented players on the floor at once. Mr Hammer this post is misguided and way off base. There is no comparison between CBB, a team game, and the NBA, a talent game.

93. Toyota Pete
    10:07 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

As a Cats fan looking on KSR for Cats news, I pose the question, “Is this the right place for you to hate on the NBA?” I think you’re a computer blogger with too few credentials to hate on professional athletes. Is that jealousy masquerading behind that elitist idiocy? Report on the Wildcats next time.

94. AaronJ
    10:08 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Really ignorant rant of a post, KSR has really gone downhill since Matt took the CBS job. KSR has been THE place for me to get my UK news and some laughs over the years but it has really been bad lately.

95. james
    10:10 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

in my experience, most people who whine about the NBA haven’t watched a full game in years.

96. mattlol
    10:12 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Obvious troll is obvious…

97. 44 Stitches
    10:13 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I never thought I would say this but KSR has found someone who sucks more than Kate Martin and Will Lentz. They where the worst but this Stuart Hammer actually makes me miss them.

98. World Wide Wes
    10:20 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I’m everything that is wrong with sports. I once had someone take an SAT test for Rose. I send players to certain schools for the betterment of myself. I’m just glad Cal is as big of a scumbag as me. We are perfect for one another.

99. Justin
    10:21 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I agree with you Mr Hammer. I think we need a poll about this post. There seems to be a pretty strong stance on both sides. NBA sucks! Go Cats!

100. Lol
    10:22 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Can the real KSR appear, please! At one time this site was cutting edge. Place to find info, not some ideas or feelings of a green horn sports fan. A great post about NBA would be to recap all UK players who have played in the league and where are they now. Like maybe Erik Daniels or Dirk Minnifield or Fred Cowan. Something a true UK fan would want to know.

Wake up KSR! Cmon man!

101. Ron Bennington
    10:25 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Ronnie B says this guy stinks on ice.

102. Lol
    10:27 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Makes sense for looserville fans to be on our site, I heard they are getting their fannies spanked.

103. Truth
    10:28 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Guys like Lebron James are why the NBA sucks. He had to take the punk route and go to a team with 3 all-stars. He still could not win. He is no Jordan. Jordan had a pair.

104. BleedBlue32
    10:28 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#54, I could not agree more. This place blows now.

105. UKeith26
    10:35 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

why would the KSR host this post?

Kentucky basketball is all about getting our players to reach their dreams. and for 50% of our players that the NBA. Kentucky supports the NBA and so should KSR.

106. Scott
    10:40 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Do you even think before you write?

“And to me, there is nothing enjoyable in watching prima donnas run and sometimes flop on the court for, in the grand scheme of things, a worthless 48 minutes.”
    Yes, because we all know there is not ONE college player that can be described as above. That statement is just an attempt to glorify the NCAA while ignoring the same stuff happens in college. Nearly all these NBA “prima donnas” came from the NCAA where they were prima donnas as well, they just didn’t get as much TV time and what not.

“And what’s with all the days off between games? Suck it up ladies, you don’t need a two-game break every other night.”
    Ever heard of TV? Yeah, it’s an important thing for the NBA, and the playoffs are set up to put as many games on national tv as possible.

“Cinderella stories don’t happen; a team like Butler from the past two seasons would never win like that in the NBA.”
    The NCAA Tournament isn’t designed to crown the best team as the Champion. You are comparing apples to oranges. Oh, and you do realize Dallas won the whole thing last year, right? They were a clear underdog to win the whole thing when the playoffs started.

“The reason is the NBA has no coaching – just run your players out on the floor and let them play their five man one-on-one.”
    You know what that sounds like? The type of college fans who say all Calipari does is roll out the balls in practice. And you know those people are 100% ignorant, right?

I wouldn’t mind your argument against the NBA if it were filled with any actual facts rather than ignorant, baseless opinion statements that you can’t even prove.

107. Hood'sACL
    10:45 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I couldn’t care less if our players go to the NBA. Good for them for reaching their dreams and makng a ton of money. But UK is what matters. One and done U is pointless if it does not net a title.

108. Lol
    11:01 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

111 you don’t have a clue. We win a NCAA champ about every 10 years. 20 years between 58 and 78 and 18 between 78 and 96. The damn things don’t grow on trees. You got to get there at a high frequency to have a realistic chance to win. I will take the one and whatever’s as long as the quality continues to be as good as it has.

109. Old School
    11:08 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

One of the BEST posts ever. Could care less about the NBA…only marginally interested in UK alumni playing.

110. wow
    11:09 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

You’re fired

111. you're right
    11:09 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

you’re right

112. wow
    11:11 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

109 hit the nail on the head

113. BigBlueSkyDog
    11:13 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Enis just entered the game.

114. Lovelease
    11:18 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

1980-1997 nba was great
    Totally sucks now
    Its watered Down crap
    To many teams
    To young talent
    Kobe even said he doesnt try every night
    Nuff said

115. Lost Respect for KSR
    11:22 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I can’t even read this site anymore. Its a shame.

116. Dave
    11:24 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Cinderellas don’t happen? In the last 4 years we have had two 1-8 upsets. Before that, we had one.

117. Bobb Gunn
    11:26 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Dumbest shit I have read in months. Quit writing about shit you obviously know nothing of. Coaching at NBA levels may not be the micro-managing of a Coach K but Doc Rivers is one of the better in game coaches in Basketball regardless of level. You should shut up though b/c you sound bitter…

118. Toms
    11:28 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I do agree with some points. However, it is not the NBA I hate. It is Stern. He has created a league of individuals rather than teams. He has created a league where offense is the most important thing, and it is boring to watch. The NFL is the same way. They create a bunch of rules to ensure scoring and it is mindless. I like the strategy of college basketball a lot more than the NBA. Sure the NBA players are bigger and better, but that does not equate to being enjoyable to watch. I would like to see the NBA put more stock in creating a team oriented league over an individual oriented league. One other thing I hate is the fact that a team takes a 16-20 lead in the first half and the game always is tied by the third quarter. That makes me feel that these games are just meaningless until the last 3 mins of the fourth quarter. I will not say the NBA is rigged because NY sucks, but I will say I feel there is encouragement to keep games close until the fourth quarter.

119. Dave
    11:28 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

@119

The entire 90’s SUCKED. Thug ball. 80’s is where it’s at.

120. UK fan
    11:30 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

This is what makes me sometimes dislike KSR so much. Take your radical opinions about the NBA elsewhere. Personally, I’m a fan of the NBA, but even if I wasn’t, I don’t want to read this on a UK basketball blog. I’m surprised Beisner and Matt Jones allow you to post these kinds of poorly-conceived, radical, and feebly argued posts on their website. A real shame that’s bringing down KSR…

121. Deepblue
    11:30 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I agree 100%. Also, everyone crying that the post was “stupid” or whatnot needs to look at how many ppl agree with it. By definition it’s a viable point.

122. Ryan
    11:31 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

If our state had an NBA team, I bet a lot of people who currently trash the league would change their tune. It’s a lot different when you have a horse in the race.

123. WKY Dude
    11:32 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I agree with you 100%. Since Magic and Larry retired, and MJ to some extent, the NBA is just a long bore. If the Lakers are in the playoffs, I’ll watch that. Needless to say, I won’t be watching them this year.

124. Toms
    11:33 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I do like when the announcers say World Peace when Artest has the ball. It is fun.

125. Brock
    11:35 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

What a weak argument… To be honest, I don’t care at all about your opinions of the NBA. I’m a huge fan of the UK and that’s why I’m on this website, but I like the NBA too. I don’t care to read your post with zero evidence to support your opinions. Neither college nor pro basketball is perfect, but that’s ok. I’m amazed your allowed to write these heavily opinionated posts about something that’s not all that relevant to the purpose of this website. Think you should reread what you wrote… some of your arguments are comical.

126. RC
    11:35 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

This article lacks any real substance and shows your lack of actual basketball knowledge. I love college basketball, but to claim that it is a better game to watch than NBA is ignorance personified. With regards to your question about what is more meaningless than the NBA regular season, how about the non-conference schedules of the best teams in college basketball?! Come on man. Come on!!

127. GOBIGBLUE
    11:38 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

completely agree with #51 “Why?”

128. Lol dude
    11:45 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

133 lol I thought the same thing, I guarantee at least a few of these comments are him

129. ToeMater
    11:49 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Preach on young Mr. Hammer!!! No truer words have ever been spoken…or written, as the case my be.

130. UKFanInGA
    11:58 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I love all of the posts on here blasting the guy for not putting any “facts” into his argument. I bet most of you blasted BTI for putting too many facts into his posts. Its his OPINION!! Just like this is my opinion and your post is your opinion. Frankly, I agree with him. I don’t like the NBA. I don’t particularly like the NFL or MLB either. While I am impressed with anyone that can make $50M just for playing a sport we all played in our back yard or drive way growing up, the lock outs, strikes or what have you leave a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouth. Not to mention, the “love” for the game, if you will, does seem to be lost on someone that gets paid exorbitant amounts of money. Some of us still live with the dream that the college players are still playing for that school pride. But regardless, let him have his opinion.

131. Stack30
    12:00 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

First off, before you can sound off on a website for Kentucky Basketball and Sports about your personal opinion on something other than UK, you have to earn that. You my friend, have not built my respect yet for me to sit through that kind of hate again (at least for a while). For now, remember who you write for (KSR) and write about stuff pertaining to that…not your opinion on something else. I don’t mean this in a douche way, but you wrote this in a childish way by throwing your intense opinion out there. And then by making it like wrong for us to be in disagreement. Yes, those who hate the NBA will support this post…but everyone else (which they’re a lot) will be turned off by you. And not respect anything you have to say moving forward. So, keep that in mind as you move forward. It’s not about you… it’s about KSR. Thanks for taking time to read my comment and opinion as I did yours

132. TheReal
    12:03 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

This post just made ksr useless to me. It’s been getting weak with some youngens writing occasionally but to just randomly allow a LONG anti-NBA rant for no reason that isn’t based on any real facts or well thought out arguments is embarrasing. This is supposed to be a UK blog. Random tidbits that are funny or topical are tolerated but this was just plain stupid. I couldn’t even get thru and didn’t want to. Stuart’s gotta go. Terrible.
    I WANT MY OLD KSR BACK!!!!!

133. old_school
    12:10 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery – so I’m moved beyond words at the poster who spent considerable effort trying to live up to my standards. While unable to reach my level – I will give you credit for effort. Now – I’ll post my opinion…

134. Stuart Little Hammer
    12:15 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Jesus Christ what a terrible post. Absolutely horrid. Kentucky fans just need to quit discussing the NBA period. Sound like a bunch of idiots. These are the greatest players in the world playing the game and guess what…the vast majority played college ball.

135. Tomas
    12:33 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

121, Those of us who have a brain don’t base our opinions on what everyone else is thinking. And your arguemnt is like saying “eat shit: 58 billion flies couldn’t be wrong”

136. old_school
    12:36 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

I KNOW IT’S LONG – BUT TAKE TIME TO READ THIS:

First – it should be noted that college basketball and the NBA are two entirely different products – played with varying rules.

I have no problem with those who love the NBA. More power to you. I can appreciate the talent and skill those athletes have at the sport they play. They’ve been called the world’s best athletes and a simple glance at the ESPN highlights will convince even the harshest critic that such a claim might well be deserved.

Likewise – I have no problem with those who argue that the college game is more enjoyable. Here in Kentucky there’s nothing that rivals the sights, sounds and atmosphere of walking into Rupp Arena on game day, hearing “On, On, UK” and seeing that majestic blue flag flying and gazing up to the rafters to see the evidence of the greatness of UK’s unmatched legacy.

My own personal preferance is for the college game. But individual tastes aside – let me suggest that the games are very different.

As my name “old school” suggests – I’m a purest. I like basketball to be played in a form that it as close to the original concept conjured up by Dr. James Naismith as possible.

Of course, we’ve long passed the days of hanging peach baskets and retrieving basketballs with ladders – but despite the game’s evolution, there are some basic premises somewhat left in the college game that are void in the NBA.

I would argue than when it comes to basketball as a skill as opposed to athleticism – the college game is superior.

Exhibit A would be the art of ball-handling. Watch and NBA game and you’ll see players who make a mockery out of basic fundamentals. Palming, walking and a wide assortment of other violations are commonplace in a typical game, but rarely called?

Why? – Because fans don’t mind if Derek Rose takes three and a half steps to get to the basket. They’ve paid good money to see Rose take the ball to the rim – it matters not how he got there.

NBA fans are awed by the athleticism of their players, which are often best displayed when certain rules can be overlooked. Over-the-back you say? Please – I want to see that 6-8 power forward muscle that rebound away from the lanky 7 footer and who cares about the contact.

Again – I’m not blindly criticizing the NBA – just pointing out that it’s a different game. College basketball is more about pure basketball – that’s why some VERY good college players excel at their schools, but may never get drafted or don’t pan at the next level.

I actually like this original post because it addresses one of my biggest complaints of Calipari. While most everyone in BBN raves about how Coach Calipari “Gets It” my stance is that he doesn’t get it at all.

He is trying to sell the UK fan on a new brand of basketball and a new type of program that is far removed from the college game we’ve excelled at for decades.

I know it’s exciting, I know it’s fun to win – but this is a fad folks – like Pokemon. A few years from now we’ll look back and be somewhat embarassed by how we were taken in.

UK basketball is about tradition. It’s about Cawood Ledford, Bill Kieghtly, Memorial Coliseum and Rupp Arena. It’s about days gone by and the days ahead – with the common denominator being great COLLEGE basketball.

It’s about appreciating the likes of the Fabulous Five, Fiddlin’ Five, Rupp’s Runts, Silk and Steel, King and Kong and the Unforgettables. It’s also about marveling at the talent we are putting on the floor today.

But it’s also about being able to enjoy these players for more than just eight months. It’s about a young kid looking at player profiles to see if his style of music is the same as his favorite player’s, and for three or four years, identifying with that player in blue and white.

It’s about following them during their college careers, the ups and downs, and it’s about that special day in March, when those beloved players jump through that Hoop on Senior Day when UK fans rise to their feet to thank those guys for four years of hard work, blood and sweat all for the letters K-E-N-T-U-C-K-Y written across their chest. And it’s about wiping away the tear in your eye when “My Old Kentucky Home” is played one last time for those guys.

The College Game is much different than the NBA game. And here in Kentucky – The Kentucky Experience is greater than anything the NBA with all it’s bells, whistles and marketing budget could ever produce.

Go Big Blue!!!!!

137. Big KSR Fan
    1:08 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

I’m not at all writing off KSR, never could, never will….but with that said– this is not good stuff guys. I used to check KSR about 20-30 times a day (sad, I know). The past couple of months I have only been checking it at night before bed. I skim through half of the posts. This particular article really made me take notice of the small changes that have slowly been making me less and less interested in the content of the website. I still LOVE the radio show, LOVE following you guys on Twitter, LOVE everything Beisner, Tyler & Drew do….but beyond that… Eh. I hate to say it but I am worried for KSR just a smidge. Just a smidge though. I love it and want it to be awesome though, so please fix it guys!

138. Knoop
    1:32 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

i just puked!

139. WKU
    1:56 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Why do most UK players play college basketball so hard?? The answer will be this… To play in the NBA. Your article is too dumb..

140. Finger Wag
    2:47 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Dikembe begs to differ with u Mr. Hammer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NdLfzrQluM

141. Johnny
    3:07 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Uhhh 68 teams make the tournament not 65… Glad you know your sport. Also you spelled DWYANE Wade’s name wrong. By the way the NBA is awesome

142. Please
    3:19 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

First, don’t copy and paste you douche, oldschool. Second, who even wrote this post. Third, you sure write a lot for something you “hate”

143. El Guapo
    4:17 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Amen, 100%. If you watch the NBA, you’re a banal idiot. Like watching paint dry, only you won’t learn as much from it. Why would anyone PAY to watch those games?

Be honest with yourselves, BBN: the only thing Coach Calipari runs is an NBA farm team. Image is what he sells, and he sells to kids who come from every place in North America (or the world) BUT Kentucky, for the most part. We all want #8, so if we have to sell our souls in the process, fine, if that’s what it takes. I’m as much for it as the rest of you. But don’t delude yourself that it’s a bunch of homegrown-proud Kentucky kids who live to defend the name on their jerseys.

144. Another Perspective
    6:08 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

The NBA bores me. The prospect of the draft success at UK brings us good players and I like that. If I were a player, I would be working toward the NBA, too. For the money and not having acregular job. But as a consumer, I don’t watch it unless it is to see a former Cat.

145. Michael Cats Fan
    6:25 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

I love the Cats as much as anyone, and I love the college game. But you are dead wrong about the NBA, why the hatin’?? You can enjoy both for what they are and what they bring to the table instead of being so narrow minded, or can you?

146. StanUKfan
    6:52 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

You just hit on the exact reason I don’t watch NBA.

147. Skywalker
    7:48 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Wow! Who new there were so many passionate NBA fans? That’s cool.

148. Mr. Obvious
    7:59 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Don’t watch it.

149. BPsycho
    8:15 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

#137 I thought I would never say anything like that, and I mean NEVER EVER….EVER…seriously EVER…ever but I agree. Time brings change and you can’t stop it. So unless it says Beisner, Franklin, or Jones “all the guys that have been here years Tomlin etc” I’m skimming over it. Which is fine, cause there are a couple hundred thousand other people who don’t feel the same as I and KSR doesn’t need me or you lol

150. random hero
    8:21 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

I don’t understand how you would not want to follow Cats in the NBA, talk about an ungrateful bunch of people who only like someone when they are doing something for them.
    It’s two diff products, just as high school is a third diff. This post has brought out the ugly side of comments and I disagree with the main article but the comments even more. If you could see how you sound, you should feel embarrassed.

151. mikey4583
    8:28 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

The NBA not only gives you the luxury of watching the best players in the world IN THEIR PRIME, but the rivalries are more enjoyable. College has great rivalries…but they’re between programs, not teams or players,and last time I checked, I don’t remember seeing a program dunk on someone or hit a game-winning shot 🙂 In the NBA, the rivalries are actually between players…that battle each other every season, sometimes for 10+ years. That builds history, which creates storylines, which creates drama. Sorry, your NBA Sucks arguement Sucks….

152. minton
    8:40 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they play way too many games. If they play fewer games, they can play harder because they don’t have to worry about conserving energy. The losses would also hurt the team more if they didn’t play so many games. Each game would be more important.

153. random hero
    8:47 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

136 tl dr
    You can get on the train or you can’t wait at memorial for the next nit game because the sweet 16 is going on. Pitino brought the new style, it wasn’t Joe b, it wasn’t Rupp and sure as hell wasn’t sutton and he exhaulted, its the same way now. Look around, no one runs the picket fence and no one is staying four years, you either adapt or die.

154. random hero
    8:49 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

It shouldn’t be which is better, its two diff things. You may like one more than the other or you may like both equal, why must a person choose?

155. Joe B
    8:57 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Don’t know who Stuart Hammer is, don’t care who Stuart Hammer is, didn’t know Stuart Hammer wrote for KSR. If I did know him, I would save him the trouble of ever writing again. Just awful. Poorly thought out, poorly expressed.

Side note for Stuart: They run the same offense we run at UK. Pitches, dribble drives, pick and pops.

156. Boogie
    9:02 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

How is this Stuart guy associated with KSR?

157. Jorts
    9:05 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

“Is there anything more boring than the NBA playoffs?” Dumbest question ever asked. Is there anything more boring than a Stuart Hammer post?

158. Dave Kempf
    9:39 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Agree wholeheartedly with this article.

159. Dave Kempf
    9:41 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

Agree wholeheartedly with this article–I couldn’t have stated it better. Based on most teams losing money it seems like the proof is there–not many people care about the NBA.

160. WOW
    9:55 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

WHO the F is stuart hammer? Please ban this guy from ever writing on here again. Dumbest post i have ever seen. If he keeps writing this website will turn to shit

161. royalblue6
    12:13 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

Totally agree with OP, other than watching former UK players, what is the draw of watching NBA??? Certainly not the substandard exhibition of basketball.

162. derek
    12:31 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

NBA Stinks…I could nto watch an entire game on TV if you paid me. Second if that was all I had to do with my time i would have to evaluate my existence.

163. flipdunkking
    12:44 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

Stupid. The NBA is the reason for all of Cal’s success. Without the “Cal Effect” (getting people to the league), and the NBA offense we now run, we do not get half the recruits we have secured in the past 3 years.

164. Vince
    1:32 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

Coming from the guy who won’t get in…

165. Matt
    1:55 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

Reasons NBA ball is better than college ball:

1. Defense is better (yeah I said it). Sorry, but Jimmer Fredette isn’t averaging 30 points a game in The Association. Adam Morrison couldn’t do anything against the athleticism and superior instincts of NBA players.

2. Coaching is better. The best coaches are in the NBA – not college. College coaches have more stardom, but they aren’t better. There is a reason Calipari and Pitino couldn’t hack it in the league. I didn’t see an actual argument why there is no coaching from the above article. Determining matchups, running plays, and defensive strategies (double teams, funneling, etc.) I guess are my imagination.

3. Better shooting. Just seems more automatic from 18 feet in the league (sorry, I actually watch NBA games unlike the OP). Longer range from 3 point line.

4. Better ball handlers and rebounders. Can anyone really debate me on this?

5. Better passers? Yeah … I just don’t think anyone in college is even close to a Chris Paul, Ricky Rubio, or Steve Nash – even the big men can be great passers (Kevin Love, Chuck Hayes, Pau Gasol). Great passing = great basketball … so how is college better here?

Sorry, but there is no rational argument for why college basketball is better. If an 82-game regular season is pointless, then so is a college regular season with a 65+ team tournament. I mean, how important is a regular season when the actual season is a massive tournament anyways? I love march madness, but I love the NBA playoffs too.

Jealous that NBA players make money? Why not have the same attitude towards MLB and NFL? Crybabies? Do NFL players never complain to the refs? Really?

I watch college basketball, and all I see is overrated defense, turnover after turnover, and sloppy play. I will watch a big regular season game and the big dance, but I can’t find one thing better in college than the NBA.

The basketball is BETTER in the NBA in every aspect. So if you call yourself a pure basketball fan, you couldn’t possibly say it is not entertaining or an artificial product.

166. Rick Pitino
    2:39 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

#58… 3 minutes, really?! i was finished in about 16 seconds!

167. the truth
    3:15 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

love the site…terrible article though, coming from an avid college and NBA fan

168. GoBlue
    3:49 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

Great post. Every point is dead on. I’d just add that attending an NBA game (or most pro sports, maybe not baseball) it’s hard to find the game for the continuous onslaught of forced “entertainment” every second the clock stops.

169. genius idea
    4:22 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

bad posts equals funny comments section.

170. genius idea
    4:25 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

equals more KSR hits

171. Alan Jurich
    4:31 pm December 28, 2011 Permalink

“I’d rather watch New Mexico Community College play UC-Santa Barbra at two o’clock in the morning than a prime-time NBA Finals game.”

You’re kidding, right? I mean, honestly, you cannot be serious with this statement. It epitomizes the stubbornness of your opinion and the poor quality of this post.