The NBA is “Officially” Ridiculous

So, am I the only person who thinks that a possible suspension for Rajon Rondo is absolutely ridiculous?

If you missed the post by Matt Jones last night, scroll down a bit and check it out.  Rondo was assessed a technical foul for bumping a ref, and whether you believe his story that he “tripped over [the ref’s] foot” or not, the technical was probably fair.  What isn’t fair is the expected suspension that Rondo is likely to receive for the contact.

Incidental or intentional, no way that Ref should be that upset about such a tiny level of contact.  But it got me to looking and I found some links to other ridiculous calls by the League regarding the exact same issue.  Check out this video of Magic forward Hedo Turkoglue “assaulting” an official just last month:

Wait, what?  Did the video cut off right before he threw a punch at the ref’s ear?  No!  That’s the whole video.  They didn’t cut anything out, like Hedo throwing haymakers left and right after turning into some whirling dervish of hair and fingernails.  Or even yelling at the Ref like Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own style.  Heck, for all we know, in Turkey touching another man on the shoulders is a sign of good will. “Hey man, I like your shirt, but that call was way off.” You don’t know it doesn’t mean that! In India, for example, I hear it’s commonplace for men who are friends to hold hands. You know what that means, right? Sounds like a technical to me.  But Turkoglue not only picked up the tech, he was then suspended a game for the “battery.”

You’ve gotta be freakin’ kidding me.  Refs will allow guys to get mugged underneath the basket, and even let games get so out of control that it results in actual fights, but any simple contact with them results in a suspension for the players, costing them thousands of dollars?  Let’s be clear: I’m okay with assessing the technical.  If it happens in the game, it should be handled in the game.  But for such slight contact, where there’s no risk of harm, or even offense, you suspend these guys a game?  For Rondo, it’s not just a game, but a Playoff game, where his team is down in the series.  That’s patently ridiculous, but it will probably happen, if recent events are any indication.  If it doesn’t, then I’ll take it all back.

But if it does, and I’m right, you better believe I’m going to continue not watching the NBA.  That’ll teach ’em.

Article written by Corey Nichols

92 Comments for The NBA is “Officially” Ridiculous

1. lol
    9:01 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Can’t bump a ref. Been that way since the early days of the sport.

2. roydillard
    9:06 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

screw rondo

3. kkkkkkkkkkkk
    9:06 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

They’ve gone beyond not bumping a ref and turned it into “can’t make physical contact with a ref”. The next step will be banning players from looking at officials.

4. any idiot
    9:08 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

5. Youreanidiot
    9:11 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Clearly you have zero clue about the NBA, its rules or its past. Stick to what you know, writing about UK and ranting about Louisville. Rondo unfortunately crossed the line even if it were intentional, can’t lose focus in the playoffs and thats what he did. I’m willing to bet this will be Rajons last year in Boston. This on top of other reasons…they were coming back and only down 4 at the time…dumb move

6. jls
    9:11 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Jesus Christ Corey. Do you know anything about basketball? Why are you “writing” on this board. I am constantly amazed at how little thought goes into what you post.

It is obviously you don’t watch the NBA … what did you do, find a highlight on YouTube?

And why are we talking about Turkoglue.

Evern NBA player knows you can’t put your hands on the ref. It is a threatening gesture, and given the emotion at hand, can easily get out of hand.

Yes, you did get it right that this is a playoff game. Rondo is a vet … he knows you don’t do what he did. And you DO NOT get thrown out of a playoff game.

Corey, spend friggin’ five minutes thinking before you post this nonsense.

7. Big O
    9:12 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Cannot take up for players when they let their emotions spill over into physical contact with a ref. Sorry CN no sympathy here. Love former UK players– but RR was wrong and will have to suffer the consequences of his actions. More importantly he hurt his team!

8. Champ
    9:12 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

1 Agree. 3/4 disagree….U CANT touch a ref like that no matter how minor it is. Thats the way it has to be. Rondo was clearly losing his head in that moment.

9. jls
    9:13 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

“No way the ref should be upset by a little contact.”

Wow.

10. 44 Stitches
    9:14 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rondo better get suspended. Of course I’ve lived in Atlanta for over 2/3rds of my life and am a little bias towards my Hawks.

11. bluesince66
    9:15 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Not getting much support on this one Corey. Simple as it can be, you can not touch the ref, and they put up with alot more crap than they should.

12. WestWorld
    9:19 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

He deserved the suspension. They cannot open the door to allowing intentional adversarial contact with officials.

13. Hmmm
    9:21 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

You realize he has had multiple offenses with refs? He has attitude problems. He threw the ball at the ref earlier this year and chest bumped another.

14. Laker Cat 18
    9:21 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

He clearly made contact with a second ref. If the rule stands, he should have obviously been ejected with his second technical foul. Why wasn’t he?

15. Jus Sayin
    9:22 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I understand the tech, and although Rondo did clearly trip into the ref, I do think he could have made more of an effort to stop himself.

I dont think it warrants a suspension, but it’s a slippery slope, where do you draw the line between “a little contact”

PS: If Rondo gets suspended for this incidental contact them Pierce should be suspended for this…

16. Azubuike's Bicep
    9:23 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I agree with most of the other commenters. This is one rule that has to stay the same. You risk opening Pandora’s Box if you allow discretion to get involved.

17. hjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
    9:24 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

It should not be against the rules to make contact with a ref while peacefully discussing a call. The technical should only be applied when there is the possibility of an actual threat, and clearly neither of the two videos KSR has up (Rondo’s and Turkoglu’s) shows either official with even the faintest possibility of a threat. Only reasonably calm discussion.

18. Hmmm
    9:24 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

What would happen if you chest bumped a police officer? You’d probably go to jail. Refs are officers of the game and Rondo should be punished…

19. Going49
    9:24 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

In no way are you suppose to touch a referee
    point, blank, period. This is to protect refs
    from any physical contact from aggressive
    and superior athletic players whom could
    physically harm the officials.

20. Han
    9:24 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

14) Because the second ref isn’t a raging egotistical jerk, apparently.

Refs touch players/move them all the time.

21. David
    9:26 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I feel like they’re only suspending him because he did it late in the game and this ejection didn’t really matter. and 3. people have gotten technicals for staring(aka intimidating) the refs before. Heck, Tim Duncan got tossed for laughing on the bench.

22. Al's IndiCats
    9:26 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

OK, where do you draw the line? When a player who with very little doubt is more physical strength than the guys who tries to keep it at a level playing atmosphere (in most cases). Take for instance of Ron Artest, he’s been getting away with this crap for years of throwing elbows and flat out dirty play since his Pacer days. Yet everyone looked the other way until it became so flagrant the league had no other choice. I actually thought he got off to easy. Had the league had balls he should be suspended for a year, for a few inches Harden could’ve been put in a coma or worse.

It’s all about self discipline, you have it at work, or at school or even a pick up game. You cannot simply get into the face of your manager, supervisor, or who ever is in charge. I know it’s the heat of the battle, but reguardless, you have to have some type of discipline. Rondo was in the wrong plain and simple. Now he may have really hurt his teams chances of going to the next round.

23. Todd
    9:26 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rondo deserves a suspension. You touch a ref, throw the player out and suspend him for multiple games. I looked at the video frame-by-frame and maybe Rondo did trip – maybe he didn’t – but it’s his fault for even getting so close.

24. 78 NCAA Champions
    9:28 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rondo bumped him on purpose. To day otherwise is denial. He should be suspended one game.

25. Smyrna_Cat
    9:29 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Anyone remember Rosanna Rosanna Dana from Saturday Night Live? Gilda Radner played a woman that would do editorals and would go off on this that were so absolutely backwards.

This rant seems to be one of those. Corey, you are so wrong on this one that I can’t help but think you either (1) are totally cluess when it comes to basketball, or (2) you are just jerking our changes with such utter nonsense.

26. 78 NCAA Champions
    9:29 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

To “say”, sorry.

27. thenamerobdigity
    9:31 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Wow Corey. Do you think giving a cop a little bump is alright too? Come on man, Rondo should suspended. Rondo kind of tripped, regained his balance and then clearly pumped his chest into the ref on purpose. 1 game is fair. Any more or less I would disagree with.

Corey you should apply at Yahoo! They are always looking for people to make ridiculous comments so people use the message boards.

28. mambearpig
    9:36 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

the same rule I grew up with playing basketball is same rule I tell the kids I coach. The refs arent going to change their call so suck it up and move on. So yes Corey you are alone in thinking its ridiculous.

29. Laker Cat 18
    9:36 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

20. You’re probably right about that. Seems to me that Stern would have seen that on the tape and pursued a ref suspension or something. Same thing, different result to me.

30. ryan
    9:38 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

If I were an NBA ref, I would be scared ****less every time a player got upset at one of my calls, I understand the no touching rule. If you want ridiculous, watch the Lebron flops from the Heat/Knicks game on Saturday…

31. Jo
    9:40 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I disagree. First, it was not accidental, if you look at his shoulders, he clearly purposefully threw them forward. Second, you can’t make contact with a ref, no ifs, ands, or buts, no matter how light the contact. Suspension for a game is warranted.

32. ThankfulCat
    9:42 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

It is not just NBA refs Einstein. Refs are the authority on the court, charged with enforcing the rules. Rondo said his piece, got T’d up and then kept charging and bumped the ref from behind

You’re damn right he deserves a suspension.

33. Bryan the Intern
    9:45 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Even I find this rant to be ridiculous.

34. MyronPryorsLivingRoom
    9:45 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey everybody, Corey made a post! Let’s trash him and talk about how everything he wrote is wrong!

35. thenamerobdigity
    9:46 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

To say Turkoglue was “assaulting ” the ref is an absolute disgrace. Turkoglue wasn’t yelling obscenities at the refs prior and also stopped afterwards. Rondo did his chest bump in anger. Turkoglue got a technical, Rondo got his second technical. Pretty clear to me, the people I was watching with, the announcers, and the rest of the people on this board.

36. Gooch
    9:47 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

You can’t touch a referee. Period. He deserves the suspension that he is going to get. They are called rules my friend

37. common sense
    9:47 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

cant touch a ref. no matter what.

38. Actually Rondo Haters
    9:48 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

It DOES look like he may have tripped on the ref’s foot. Watch Jones’ link below a few times and focus on the feet and the slight “hiccup” in RR’s step as he goes to say something to the ref.

39. thenamerobdigity
    9:48 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

#34 Ok

40. brandondc
    9:49 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

It’s not about the physical damage from the contact, it’s about the precedent that’s set if the NBA says that the Rondo bump is OK. It’s the old adage – you give people an inch, they’ll take a mile.

41. Jake_GOCATS
    9:53 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I agree that Rondo was out of line by making contact with the referee. However, since his intentions were unclear, I believe the punishment should end at the technical and/or ejection from the game. I believe a suspension would be a tad too severe in this case. Just my two cents.

42. dgtuk
    9:56 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Corey: To use my daughter’s venacular…… Fail!

43. Random Guy
    9:57 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m with the majority of others. Rondo’s actions can not be tolerated in a league of hot heads. Incredibly stupid move by Rondo. He lost his composure as seems to be more frequent than necessary. Suspension is reasonable.

44. Jake_GOCATS
    9:57 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

22. Comparing Rondo’s bump into the ref to the flat-out assaults of Ron “Metta World Peace” Artest is almost as absurd as comparing Louisville’s basketball tradition to Kentucky’s. Almost.

45. mashburnfan1
    9:59 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rule clearly says any intentional contact with ref is a one game suspension. So only question is was it itentional. YES. He did make contact by accident with the foot but that did not trip him. The intentional act was the chest bump and you can clearly see him use his chest to bump the ref, not to stop a fall as a reaction to falling is using hands. The chest bump was intentional if you watch the video, his chest extended towards ref not the entire body like a trip would do. He was not off balance and meant to do it, not that he is a bad guy it was a reaction while competing at a high level. I love Rando and his game but he does deserve a 1 game suspension.

46. Smyrna_Cat
    10:00 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I am still shaking my head over Corey’s post. It is just ignorant.

47. gottodoit
    10:02 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rondo (or any other player who acts out the way he did) deserves a suspension. Seeing the replay, the ref probably blew a crucial call. Happens frequently. A few shouted words of disgust by the Boston coach – after all, it happened near the Celtics bench – would have been acceptable.

The actions of Rondo were not.

48. catsfan65
    10:05 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

You touch a ref, you get suspended. It is that simple. The NBA rules spell it out clearly:

E. PHYSICAL CONTACT–SUSPENSION
    Any player or coach guilty of intentional physical contact with an official shall automatically
    be suspended without pay for one game. A fine and/or longer period of suspension will
    result if circumstances so dictate.

The one game suspension is the minimum that can happen. Why we have this ignorant tirade on KSR, I will never know.

49. UK Homer
    10:09 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Hedo = Thug

50. Jake_GOCATS
    10:11 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

48. The key word there is “intentional.” Corey clearly believes that Rondo’s actions were unintentional. Obviously that is up for debate, but I tend to agree with the “unintentional” slant.

51. Fred
    10:13 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

boycott the playoffs #saynotoworldpeace

52. Brandon
    10:20 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, you can never touch a ref… I like Rondo a much as the next guy but that was a bad move. He will sit at least a game and let it be a lesson to others. You NEVER touch the ref!

Now comparing the NBA with MLB umps vs Refs would have been worthy of a BTI post. This didnt seem too well thought out. Sorry

53. Rondo needs a t.o.
    10:23 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

He deserves to be suspended no question…sorry Matt

54. PennCat
    10:25 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Instead of defending Rondo, it would have been nice if you said something like: “Rondo’s behavior was uncalled for and he deserves a suspension.” Personally, I am sick and tired of basketball players arguing (virtually every) call that officials make. And to bump an official is beyond ridiculous.

55. DerbyDemon
    10:31 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Yes, by all means, let’s allow players to start bumping officials in the NBA. Then what’s next? Can we “pile drive” an official because of a questionable call? Hit him in the head with a folding chair? It’s amazing that Rondo thinks he can get away with this, and it’s even more amazing the amount of “fans” that think it’s okay as well.

56. Hoss_Cat
    10:32 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

WOW, Corey Nichols you are officially the most stupid person on THE PLANET!!!

57. I say
    10:32 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I couldn’t disagree more you dbag. If I’m a ref and one of these players placed their efing hands on me I’d throw them out in a heart beat. Don’t pucking touch me

58. ChattCatt
    10:33 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rondo made minimal contact with the ref. You could barely see it in real time and it did not appear to be malicious. I agree that a suspension is too much and the ejection is sufficient punishment. That said I think he will be suspended. I wonder how many games would Artest have been suspended if he elbowed a ref?

59. BigBlueCat
    10:35 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Are you kidding me? Of course, Rondo deserves a suspension. How can you defend this guy. You don’t put your hands on the ref and you certainly don’t bump him or try to intimidate him. The dude for Orlando deserved the tech and should be suspended, not as long as Rondo though. Absolutely ridiculous that Rondo would do that and ridiculous that someone would come to Rondo’s defense.

60. bluefan
    10:41 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, Corey. I may well be Rondo’s biggest fan. He deserves a one game suspension.

The league is getting more and more out of control as it is. Can’t let crap like this go. He had had a bad call at the other end of the court and got way too emotional when the second call went against him. Plus, it was a very bad call. Still can’t touch a ref.

61. jamborain
    10:41 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Turkoglue was not the same intent,but he knows the rules. Rondo made a mental lapse that a team leader can’t do and deserves a suspension. Probably still has angst from that Florida game where no one called out screens and he got mugged all afternoon. Love him as a player and he was a great cat!

62. Cats 97
    10:56 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Rondo clearly stuck out his chest to bump him. I can’t believe that call was made when everyone is scrapping on the ground like that, but Rondo should be suspended.

63. Ciggy
    10:57 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

You just can’t touch the refs, Period. I love rondo, and love the celts. But he is gonna get a 1 game suspension no matter what, i just hope it isn’t more.

The Refs are on high alert this post season, I see that kid from Western that plays for the nuggets get a tech for taunting, and he did absolutely nothing. You gotta be aware of that, and just hold your shit right now.

We all know ksr hates the NBA, I normally just assume it’s another nba hate post, but I sort of agreed with you when it happened. I was livid, I would have like to have slapped that guy right in the face.

Keep no not watching, millions of others are though 😛

64. Ville Cat
    11:06 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I hate to say it but he did not trip in to that ref. He did initially trip but that excuse is irrelevant after watching him stick his chest out as he made the contact. Even Charles Barkley said this last night. Was a dumb thing to do and if it was a former ul player most of u defending him would be all over this saying he should be suspended. May have been a bad example as there are so few ul players in the league. My apologies.

65. Coreystheonlyone
    11:07 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

The rules are the rules, just because he went to UK doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be suspended Corey. I love UK, but you can’t touch a ref, no matter what. As for you saying its ridiculous just shows how little you know about the game.

66. JPlo
    11:09 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone notice that the refs from the Rondo incident and that Turkoglu incident are the same person? Interesting

67. Coreystheonlyone
    11:10 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Corey, is this your first day on the job? Worst. Post. Ever.

68. catsfan1965
    11:16 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

For those who think this was unintentional, I can guarantee that the NBA will consider what Rondo did intentional.

69. MYOLDKENTUCKYHOME
    11:32 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

I think it was unintentional but with his history the league really has no choice but to suspend him for at least one game.

On other NBA news…kind of disappointed that there was no mention of Eric Bledsoe helping key the Clippers big comeback last night. Had 9 points overall, played 20 minutes, and had 5 key points in the comeback. Even SportsCenter mentioned him.

I love our NBA players and Eric has really come on late in the season to be a good contributor. He was one of my favorite Draft Cats.

70. kywildcat
    11:36 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Yes he should, end of story.

71. jls
    11:47 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Does KSR have any kind of quality control on this board? I mean, is there an editor that reviews these types of blogs before they are posted? If so, I would think someone would say, “Sorry, Corey, but this post seems half-baked at best. This board is not called Pull-Crap-Outta-Your-Butt-And-Post-It. If you want to want argue why Rondo shouldn’t be suspended, then please do so, but at least think about what you are saying. Make a logical, reasonable, well-thought-out argument and lets see what people say.”

72. Dan
    11:51 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Absolutely immutable rule: no one touches the ref. If a few players and fans get their feelings hurt, no big deal. Gotta maintain order on the court somehow.

73. cats
    11:53 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Corey’s posts always suck. You’re probably one of those people that doesn’t watch the NBA because “they don’t play defense”. Which is code for “I don’t know anything about basketball”.

74. justtellus
    11:59 am April 30, 2012 Permalink

Are you BTI? I’m serious.

75. Don'tHurt'emHammer
    12:14 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

^72…I agree 100%…its almost similar to people putting their hands on a policeman, you just don’t do it.

76. Amanda Wright
    12:15 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

You must be an angry black, and one of those idiots who think there should be no PO-LICE, even though they are the mechanism by which a fair judicial system is possible. There are rules, and while we don’t always like them, overall they are essential to stability and progress as a society. Rules are ESSENTIAL. Blacks get hard treatment because they don’t seem to understand this–they cause the most problems everywhere–just research what has happened since they took over in South Africa…..

77. bump and grind
    12:20 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

It’s easy, don’t grab a ref and you won’t get a T. Completely reasonable and easily avoidable. Kinda like drunk driving

78. wow
    12:24 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Embarrassingly ignorant post. Poorly crafted “argument” and asinine conclusion. Fail.

79. Brian the Derpface
    12:31 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

As stated multiple times above, you can’t touch the refs.

Horrible post

80. David
    12:43 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Agree with the majority of the comments. Can’t touch a ref, plain and simple. If you don’t suspend him for a game then where do they draw the line with “incidental” contact with a ref? They can’t even let that become an issue. But I do believe if this gets a 1 game suspension, as it should, then what Ron Artest (Metta World Peace) did to Harden should be suspension for the rest of the season, if not more or even an evaluation of whether he should even be able to stay in the league since he is a repeat offender and has obvious mental problems.

81. UK Homer and/or Idiot
    12:48 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

The NBA refs hate former UK players. The ref intentionally tripped Rondo to cause the bump. It’s so obvious.

Corey, you are spot on and your 9 AM posts are the best.

82. Truth
    12:54 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Can’t intimidate refs. When you do, no matter how ‘small’ you may think it seems, you need to get out of the game. Your PLAY should change the game, not your ability to frighten those people who call fouls on you. Sorry Rajon, but you were out of line, and any punishment is warranted.

83. EarlWhite
    12:54 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Dear, Amanda Wright

Do you remember me? My name is Earl and we met at the rally this past Friday night – I held the vertical piece of wood and you held the horizontal one, while Bubba did the nailing. I liked a lot of your thoughts and ideas and totally forgot to get your number off of ya before your daddy came and got you. Anyway, I just wanted to see if you would be interested in going to the Home Depot with me this weekend? They’re having a sale on rope! If so, please respond in this here thread, and we can make some magic happen. Till then : )

P.S. Were you able to get that gasoline smell out of your shoes? lol sorry, had to ask

84. TooGood
    12:57 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Why so biased? Everytime a player touches a ref he is suspended a game. Its a black and white rule. Unfortunatly, Rondo lost his composure at the end of a game that was already decided. Now he cost his team his services in Game 2 (most likely). Im as big a UK fan as any but sometimes you have to observe things for what they are. Disappointed in the purpose of this article!

85. Rwildcat
    1:31 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Hey hey hey.. What do you mean it’s common place in India for men to hold hands? Get your facts right before writing crap. I am a UK alumni from India and have great respect for this website but seriously… Look into things before writing them.

86. tompkinsville
    1:37 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

sorry, ksr. but you lose credibility with posts such as these. stick with UK basketball.

87. Mquiz16
    1:38 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

No way he tripped, he stuck his chest out. If he tripped he would have stuck his hands out to try to catch himself. He deserves what he gets.

88. BingleJells
    1:43 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

He was actually mad because he saw his girlfriend in the stands with BCG.

89. Freelance Phillip
    2:42 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

You are ridiculous. Of course Rondo deserved the ejection and a suspension is not a far fetched idea, Rondo (should) knows the rules that you can not touch an official. Knowing this, you shouldn’t hastily charge after a referee with your chest puffed out. Weather he tripped or not is not even the issue here. If you watch the NBA you know Rondo has always had an attitude problem. They way he handled the situation last night was out of control. Have other players reacted that way? Yes. Did they get technicals? Yes. Accidents happen and maybe Rondo didn’t mean to shove the ref but he definitely approached the official in a threatening way and if he had not put himself in that situation than he would not have ever had been close enough to “trip and fall” into the ref.

Maybe a suspension would teach him a lesson and prevent him from hurting his team again.

90. Slonedogg
    2:54 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

You cant bump the ref. Rondo is crazy for even doing it. Shows you how smart he is his teams in the playoffs and than he goes and does something like that. wheres the coach at? its his job to teach his players how to act in crucial moments.

91. T-Rowe
    4:12 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

It’s so obvious that you can’t run aggressively towards a referee after a call and grab him with two hands like that. This is one of the more ignorant opinions I’ve ever read.

92. #hategratuitousquotations
    5:51 pm April 30, 2012 Permalink

Why is “Officially” in quotation marks in the title of this article?