The Nation’s Best Team? Well, It’s Not in Kansas Anymore.

I’m not sure what I expected yesterday to feel like, but I can tell you I was surprised by what it did feel like.

It was hot and humid on my way to class, and actually pretty uncomfortable.  It felt like one of those Florida rains that come out of nowhere had popped up, poured down, and gone away, letting the heat stick around, and to, the city of Lexington.  Trouble is, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky, and not a single drop had fallen all morning.  So why did it feel like it had rained all day?

The truth is, it’d been raining for fourteen years.

There were glimmers of hope through the clouds.  Silver linings, some might call them.  The teams in 2003 and 2005 were great, but weren’t able to bring home the ultimate goal.  Billy Gillispie’s hiring in 2007 looked like it would bring the turmoil to an end, but that turned out to be only the eye of the storm; the worst was ahead.  The NIT season, followed shortly by Gillispie’s firing, were the worst of it.  UK fans were getting absolutely poured on, and there was no obvious end to the inundation.

And then they hired Cal, of all people, and the clouds got a little lighter.  He took John Wall and Demarcus Cousins to the Elite Eight, and the thunder stopped.  He guided Brandon Knight and Josh Harrellson to the first Final Four in thirteen years, and the clouds started to break.  But it still hadn’t stopped raining.

Until Monday night.

That’s when the deluge stopped and the sun came out.  I, for one, didn’t know what that would feel like; turns out it feels hot and sticky.  But it was a good change compared to what it felt like before.  It was good to feel the sun on my back, even if it was a little more than I was used to.

Now, instead of doubt, there was promise.  Promise of success, significance, and great basketball.  Instead of clouds, there was sunshine.  Maybe that’s why I wasn’t surprised to hear someone blasting Brudda Iz’s “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” as I walked down Limestone.  Any other day?  Sure, I’d think that’s pretty weird.  Seriously, it was loud and he had his windows rolled down and everything.  But yesterday?  Well, yesterday it just sort of made sense.  The storm’s over, and, at least this week, we have a promise that things will be alright in the Bluegrass.

It’s our own NCAA rainbow.

Article written by Corey Nichols

45 Comments for The Nation’s Best Team? Well, It’s Not in Kansas Anymore.

1. randomer
    9:01 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

awesome

2. randomer
    9:01 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

awesome – thanks!

3. even_more_random
    9:03 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

This is turrible(in my Barkley voice)….

4. Rob
    9:03 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Seriously?

5. shimsky
    9:10 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

HMMM…. like, uh……. so um…… … ok, that was really cool when we won the national championship the other day…

6. shimsky
    9:12 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

i want one of those sweet game balls with the uk emblazoned on it…is it worth 100 bones?

7. ktmiln2
    9:16 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Awesome

8. UK22
    9:17 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Forgot to DVR game. Anyone know where I can get a replay by chance of the game????

9. ktmiln2
    9:17 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

This is one of those songs that can always make my bad days not suck so bad.

10. even_more_random
    9:17 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Wojo did an article on yahoo about Cal and the Knicks. I don’t see him leaving. Anybody else agree, or do you think he jumps to the league. He even stated that he was going recruiting this week.

11. theTruth
    9:18 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Matt…Beisner…are you paying attention at 9am? Just awful. BTI. BTI. BTI.

12. ktmiln2
    9:21 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

10. I don’t think Cal jumps. Every talk he has given after the championship has had a lot of talk about things to come at UK, so I don’t think he wants to go. That’s just like, my opinion, man.

13. Bluebanana
    9:23 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Nice

14. barn
    9:24 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

can’t wait til April 1 next year in Catlanta! countdown to #9!!

15. lexslamman
    9:26 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Calipari will most likely never coach in the NBA again.

16. Cincy 71
    9:29 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Anyone have a pic or link to a pic of all the banners in Rupp now? Need to update my background.

17. Azubuike's Bicep
    9:31 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

10- I don’t think he will considering he is 53. If he is going to succeed at the next nevel, he will need a good 4-5 years, which would put him in his late 50’s before he even has a chance of winning at the next level.

18. BlueDNA
    9:39 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

16. I was just thinking the same thing…

19. Devastation Inc.
    9:42 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

really is awful. Way to many feelings as always.

20. even_more_random
    9:43 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

12. and 17. Thanks for the input. I agree with both of you. I find it hard to imagine him leaving, but you know how the business goes. Every writer wants headlines, and Cal to NY is good news. What about the recruiting side if he stays? Do we get Shabazz? And do we want him considering the NCAA warning that was mentioned a few weeks ago? I know how good he is, but is this a chance that Cal should not take? Just wondering. Go #bbn!

21. UKfan87
    9:48 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Cal is never leaving UK. He has job security. He has a lot less pressure to win a title now that we got #8. Yes, there will always be pressure, but UK got a monkey off our back in addition to Cal.

He will dominate college recruiting and get us to an Elite 8 nearly every year he is at UK.

Back on top. Never back down.

22. Mr. Obvious
    9:49 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Cal’s not going anywhere…he’s already talking of his next goal, which is to go start-to-finish undefeated.

23. eloy
    9:51 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

OMG.

24. Kentucky Packrat
    9:51 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

It’s time to shut down the NBA rumors on Cal. He will never say that he will never go to the NBA (never say never, after all), but listen to the man.

He keeps talking about helping kids grow and meet their potential. That’s not what NBA coaches do; they coach mature men.

Cal will not leave a college team until he gets too tired to do the job any more. And even then, he’ll probably be like Larry Brown; he’ll go help someone else out.

25. Azubuike's Bicep
    9:51 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz is trending on Yahoo. I would like to think it’s because of me searching his name every hour for recruiting updates..

26. Participant
    9:51 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

I think he stays until he gets a second banner….you know, one more than Pitino.

27. REAL BLY
    9:51 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Iz is awesome! Shame he died so early in life…pretty sure he is still playing a Ukulele on beach somewhere over the rainbow!!!

GO CATS!!!

28. Al's IndiCats
    9:57 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Nice Article CorEy. He said this last month, that in the best coaching job on any level is here at UK. He’s wanting to go undefeated, “WHEN” he does that, and I know he will, that’s when we as UK fans can start worrying. I’ll keep the man at his word. GO CATS!!!!!!!!!

29. gottodoit
    9:57 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Someone give Forde a rumor you just heard when you were in New Orleans:

Pitino is leaving Louisville and Jurich has begun discussions with Calipari.

That should fill his lunchbox for a while.

30. AMIRITE
    9:57 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

so much to write about and this jobber has to squeeze a post out about a shitty random song he heard on limestone.

31. corey nichols
    9:58 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

I AM THE WORST!!!

32. fred
    9:59 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Anyone seen this?

33. Porcino's
    10:01 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

This post is the KSR equivalent of Harlequin smut, or a Matthew McConaughey romantic comedy. I appreciate that you’re happy they won…hell, we ALL are…but really, this is almost obscenely cheesy.

34. UKChillfan
    10:01 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

#8, eventually the NCAA site will have it. There some link about “vault”. Goggle NCAA vault and it comes up.

35. you suck Corey
    10:04 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

34 commas? you must have took a dump on your keyboard, in a metaphorical release of all the built up waste from the past 14 years, and thought this piece of shit was intelligent and insightful. Like seriously, that was awful. No kidding around, you really do suck

36. Smiley Pete
    10:05 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m not saying yu shouldn’t be youself, but just be yourself somewhere else…

37. Real Cats Fan
    10:07 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

At first I thought that was a picture of Joakim Noah after he had gained about 450 lbs. Then I did a web search and found out about this guy. It’s a shame that he had to battle all of those issues with his weight – when you get that big, it is a metabolic issue most of the time rather than simple self control or lack of exercise. May he rest in peace – he had an angelic voice.

38. snoopaloop
    10:14 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

35. Who sucks worse: Corey for his post or you for counting and actually giving two sh*ts about the number of commas in his post? G,e,t, a, l,i,f,e,

39. Catsrule101
    10:20 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

This song is like the national anthem in Hawaii. You hear it at least fifty times a day. Brings back great memories for me already and now I will add our Number Eight run to those other memories. Number 8 >Hawaii.

40. UKscott
    10:22 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

I did not know Renardo Sidney could sing!

41. SC4
    10:48 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Corey is an accountant trying to write. Uggghhh.

42. CrimsonWildcat
    11:11 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

@38….definitely Corey. I could care less about the commas…that made me feel cheesy reading it. It
    Was…well it was just lame is all there is to it.

43. BnClay
    11:31 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

Lot of talk about Cal to pros, while an an individual team may want him now or in the future, if I am David Stern or the NBA owners collectivly, I want him to stay in NCAA and keep putting 4-5 players in the league every year, he pretty much doing the job of the Dleague and the NBA does have to pay him anything. Point is that to the NBA colectivly Cals in more valuable in doing what he does best, getting young player to reach and exceed there potential thus eliminating alot of risk for them, than doing what he is not the best at: X and O coaching.

44. BnClay
    11:33 am April 4, 2012 Permalink

correction: *doesn’t have to pay him anything.

45. Jackson
    3:10 am April 5, 2012 Permalink

This article is horrid. Damn!