The Mark Stoops Era Begins…

Mark Stoops is your new football coach. The biggest impression taken from his press conference was that he is genuinely excited and appreciative of the opportunity to be the University of Kentucky’s head football coach. Stoops appeared a little nervous at first, but once he got into the question and answer portion– he nailed it. When he dropped a well-played line about Louisville, many people agreed that he had officially “won the press conference.”

Nick Roush will be by shortly to bring you up to speed on all of the highlights from today’s press conference. Stoops did have a strong message for the Big Blue Nation, “I cannot tell you how excited I am to be your football coach. I am highly motivated to build this program to national prominence.” His first request? “The one thing I ask you to do…I ask the Big Blue Nation to fill Commonwealth Stadium each and every week.”

According to Mitch Barnhart, Stoops’ contract is for roughly $11 million dollars over a 5-year span. Incentives have been built in as well, including a $100,000 for each SEC win after the first one in a season.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

52 Comments for The Mark Stoops Era Begins…

1. Yes
    3:51 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Impressive

2. Wdkaaffan
    3:51 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

3. SoFLCat
    3:51 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Stoked! or maybe that is Stooped! Great press conference. Cannot wait to see the names he brings in. I hate to say I am skipping bball, but I cant wait for football season.

4. Wdkaafan
    3:52 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

5. BigBluesClues
    3:52 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

This man has a beautiful soul family and ability

6. CatFan26
    3:53 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Next year is going to be a fun year with the Stoops era beginning and the monster class Cal has coming in. Cant wait! #FillCommonwealth

7. EC
    3:53 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Love his demeanor and can do attitude. He is Cal with slightly less charisma but with equal determination and straight talk. We got the right guy. Good job, Mitch.

8. UK
    3:54 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

He looked VERY nervous. He did seem to settle in and say some good things, but he has his work cut out for him to make this team the winner of the SEC.

9. manbearpig
    3:55 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Really impressed with Coach Stoops and can’t wait for next season!

10. Ville Cat
    3:55 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

He said the right things and got me excited. I am most curious to see who he brings in for his OC and DC. Will we see Tim Couch on the staff?? You cvouold see him becoming more comfortable as the presser went on and he looked like he was enjoying himself. Happy for him and his family. Welcome to BBN!!

11. UK
    3:55 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

5. Gingers don’t have souls. With that said, I love Stoops.

12. Old Henry Man
    3:56 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Is it August yet? I am excited

13. BB
    3:56 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Very Impressive. Seems energetic, well spoken, straight-forward, detail oriented, and a “CEO” type, all qualities that I believe an SEC caliber coach needs. I know it will be a process, but I’m ready for September!

14. Kanye Twitty
    3:57 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

He sounded very confident about his DC but not so much about his potential OC. The offensive coordinator is the next big story to follow with UK football. I’m so happy we can finally put Joker’s trainwreck behind us!

15. Common Sense
    3:58 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I know this sounds weird….but I’m more excited for football than basketball right now….

16. B L U E
    3:58 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I think the most awesome part of the presser was when he cracked himself up over the UofL line he dropped.

17. BigBluesClues
    4:00 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Stop saying First you absolute waist of life….your life is worth more than competing in a opaque fraction of a second that would bring no recognition to a worthless soul that not even you care about. What a sad world we all have to endure.

18. mores
    4:03 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

#17 wins meta comment of the day.

19. Han
    4:07 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like he’s ready to change the atmosphere around here for real. No more hemming and hawing and excuses. Bring in a good staff, recruit, do some fancy stuff to help compete, have an exciting offense including throwing the ball around, and a good defense.

He keeps that attitude up and he can have success here.

5) Dude, you do realize gingers have no souls, right?

20. Ron
    4:08 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Did anyone else hear that he pretty much is going to sit down and evaluate our current commits and re-evaluate whether they fit into his system? I for one beleve this is the right thing to do, he basically said that it wouldn’t be fair to them to come here if they do not fit!

21. Hartline
    4:08 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m excited enough right now to start planning some SEC road trips next fall.

22. joe
    4:08 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Pumped! Stoops is the man, hope it all works out! Go Cats!

23. BigBluesClues
    4:08 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

From now on when you piss brains reveal yourselves, by doing the inevitable and speaking your mind..i’m going to banish you to a Stupid Dimension where you can cry but you just float out into space thinking when will I die(like in Superman) but you will just float aimlessly in space…worthless…a floating bob of bullshit…God forgives so why can’t the stupid

24. BigBluesClues
    4:11 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I have no intention of being mean…but the stupid deserve the wrath

25. Old Henry Man
    4:12 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

#20, Cal only kept 1 Billy Clyde recruit, Orton.
    I could not image having kept the commitments from some of Billy Clyde’s players over Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins and the boys

26. wtf 23?
    4:13 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

dude, you’re a major weirdo

27. BigBluesClues
    4:17 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Wtf says you’re really sweet and you love yor wife and the world is a beautiful place and your mind is straight cuz you do what you are told, but I do and say what I want cuz I work for myself…wake up fatboy stop eating your own lies.

28. Bobby Petrino
    4:18 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Head Coaching Record
    Overall 0—0
    Bowls 0-0

Talk about reckless hiring. Kentucky was just were led to a 5 year $11 Million Dollar Contract by Mitch Barnhart based on a last name.

USF & South Carolina know what that’s like… Skip Holtz didn’t pan out at either school.

Even Mike’s brother Mark couldn’t do it at Arizona.

I believe in hope & faith. I also know when someone isn’t qualified to be throwing around money like.

29. BB
    4:19 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

CBS sports reporting that James Coley will NOT join Stoops at UK. Neal Brown, come on down? It does sound like he will be bringing some of the defensive staff with him. I know he offered the DC position to the D-line coach there (DJ Eliot?).

30. BigBluesClues
    4:20 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

SOMEONE ELSE BEAK ME DOWN…I TRIPLE GOD DARE YA( YOU THOUGHT I WOULD SAY dog…..right.

31. Yo
    4:20 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

#25 Cal kept Hood.

32. bsquared
    4:22 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

28. Wow that didn’t take long

33. BPsycho
    4:22 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

#19 And with him being a Ginger he’s naturally, closer to Satan, there for, Nick Saban.

So there’s that.

34. 28
    4:22 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Quit crying and give the dude a shot! Every head coach had to start somewhere. The guy is passionate and has a plan. Eff Bobby P! Louisville’s new coach was a coordinator

35. Just some guy
    4:23 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Glad to see the AD is incentivizing SEC wins. Maybe now we can get away from the “Rich Brooks Bowl Strategy” of scheduling cupcakes and hoping to luck into an SEC win or two to become bowl eligible.

36. Rc
    4:23 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I am ready for some football already. I think Kentucky can win in the SEC and Stoops is the man.

37. kes
    4:24 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

wait about 3 years. he will look beaten down like a shy dog. people will be screaming for his head and wondering why we can only get 2 star recruits!

/im old
    // have seen this played out several times now

38. Hillbillie
    4:28 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Eat your meat and tatters, this is the right man
    for the JOB!

39. Trevor
    4:32 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I think the fact the he reached out to Mitch tells you a lot about the man and his commitment!

40. BB
    4:33 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

28- Chip Kelly, Mark Richt, Jimbo Fisher, Bob Stoops, Will Muschamp, oh and Petrino when hired by UL….none had head coaching experience. 35- Almost every BCS conf team plays 8 conf games, 3 cupcakes, and 1 other bcs school…

41. Wrong Kid
    4:34 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

@ #28….

The one we have is Mark. The Brother is the Mike.

If you are going to kick dirt at him, at least make sure you have the right brother.

42. BigBluesClues
    4:38 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I love you all….but love hurts …ask a woman

43. #WWH
    4:39 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

Of course World Wide Harris would get his kid an autographed football from Coach Stoops!! #WWH

44. Mitch Barnhart
    4:41 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

“I know you can do it Mike. Not that you’ve ever done it before, but I know you can do it.

I have such a documented history of being able to know these things that I’m willing to spend $11 million dollars of a public Universities money to risk on it.

I’m clearly the man for the job to pick this person. And you are clearly the man for this job”

45. H.Manny
    4:42 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

That skinny kid from blues clues went full on frittata.

46. BB
    4:46 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

44- The athletics department operates as a separate economic entity from the public university. In fact, they give 2+million back to the university. Furthermore, UK athletics only pays 400,000 to Stoops (& Cal), the rest comes from endorsements, i.e. radio and tv deals, shoe and gear contracts, etc. If you’re going to try and piss on everybody’s parade, at least have a clue as to what you talk about…

47. BB
    4:47 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

44- by the way, his name is Mark, not Mike…

48. Mitch Barnhart
    4:47 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

“Eli Capilouto doesn’t mind that I am responsible for paying 2 basketball coaches, and 2 Football coaches at the current time. Neither should you

Coaches I’m Directly Responsible For UK Continuing To Pay:

Billy Clyde Gillispie – $
    Joker Phillips – $
    John Calipari – $
    Mark Stoops – $

49. sonny lesbos
    4:53 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

44-you dont know what you’re talking about, do you? when you see $11 mill salary, you have no idea what his base salary actually is or what the k-fund is or how the university funds the AD & vice versa, or any of those “details”.
    go back to your coloring book.

50. Barak Barnhart
    5:03 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

$11 Million is the base. Go to school and learn to read.

51. Barak Barnhart
    5:09 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

“The ticket prices will continue to increase BBN. Why?

This is because as #46 (BB) pointed out the Athletic Department is a quasi-separate entity which funds it’s 2 Basketball Head Coaches & 2 Head Football Coaches currently on the Kentucky Payroll on the backs of the fans, many of whom feel compelled to support the Schools Athletics, since they attended the school.

As long as you don’t say anything, I’ll just keep hiring coaches. Thanks for your support”

52. Bulldawg
    8:12 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

bigbluesclues is without a doubt one of the worst new commenters on this site. You are not cool and your comments are way more retarded than those you make fun of…if stupid people deserve to be blasted then you should be first in line.