The Love/Hate List for the 2012-2013 Season

(If we were making a General Life Love/Hate list, cliche’ wrist tattoos would be on my “hate” list. Probably twice).

Now that the 2012-2013 Kentucky basketball season is officially over, we are stuck in a bit of a limbo between our past and our future. Next year is going to be special. We won’t find out just how special though until the roster begins to fully take shape over the next month or so. While we wait, maybe we can take some time to reflect upon the season that was– for better or for worse. Admittedly, at first it was hard to come up with the “love” portion of the Love/Hate List for the 2012-2013 season. As always though, even in the lowest point for Kentucky fans in the past 24 years, shut up Pat Forde  a down season, there were good moments to go along with the bad.

*In no particular order…

LOVE

1.  Jarrod Polson’s performance at Maryland– We didn’t know it at the time– that Polson’s contributions to this team would end up being so important– but that night early in November, the former walk-on from Wilmore, Kentucky had what could have been his “one shining moment” moment in a Kentucky uniform. Polson’s season ended up being much more than just that one night… But for that one night, Big Blue Nation rejoiced for an unlikely hero.

2. Uncle Julius- For reasons I simply cannot explain, some people will come on here and crush Julius Mays. Was he the most talented player on Kentucky’s roster? Of course not. Did he have bad games? Sure. Who didn’t? If we are talking about bang for your buck though, Julius Mays gave a lot to this Kentucky team, and much of it came in the form of leadership, heart and emotion. I dare you to subtract Julius Mays from this team and replay this season. A part of me will always feel a twinge of sadness too that Mays’ shortened Kentucky career ended the way it did.

3 . Twany Beckham on senior night

4. Nerlens Noel’s blocks with 4 fouls against Ole Miss–  We saw the best of Nerlens Noel on that night. With 4 fouls and Ole Miss threatening to come back, Noel put his team on his back and put on one of the most impressive 3-5 minutes of individual displays of defense I’ve ever seen.

5. The piggyback ride– the moment Julius truly became Uncle Julius

6. When Kentucky fans “brought it,” they “brought it” better than anyone else…

Two games in particular stick out to me: The ESPN Game Day match-up with Missouri and the regular season finale against Florida. In both cases, Rupp Arena proved why it’s one of the best atmospheres in college basketball when the place is rocking. The Kentucky fans have rarely been better than either of those occasions.

7. The new pre-game videos: “Fight” and “I am Kentucky Basketball”– Hey, those were pretty cool, huh?

8. Willie Cauley-Stein’s blocking performance against Florida– In a Nerlens Noel vs. Ole Miss 2.0 situation, Willie Cauley-Stein managed to stay on the court with 4 fouls for over 10 minutes. When Cauley-Stein picked up his fourth and went to the bench, Florida went on a blistering run. Cal took a chance by putting WCS back in the game, but to his credit he stayed disciplined and made the difference for the Cats down the stretch.

9. John Robic’s dodgeball picture

10. The 1996 team finally receiving National Championship rings from Kentucky (and Anthony Epps kissing the floor at mid-court)

11. “Mr. Defense”  You gotta admit, there was something a little funny about an announcer pinning this nickname on Kyle Wiltjer

12. Jarrod Polson perhaps opening up the coaching staff’s eyes to take a look at a guy like Dominique Hawkins.

HATE

1. Nerlens Noel’s injury. (I would never make you look at any part of that again…)

2. Losing the 1st home game in the Calipari era– The streak John Calipari had going at Rupp Arena was nothing short of impressive. With a slate of relatively mild home games this season, I think most Kentucky fans figured the streak would stay alive for yet another year.

3. Nerlens Noel’s injury.

4. Losing the SECOND home game in the Calipari era– This one not only stung because of Elston Turner’s ridiculous (and never again repeated) performance, but it also signified at least a brief ending in the perception of Kentucky being nearly impossible to beat at home (especially under Calipari).

5. Nerlens Noel’s injury.

6. Kyle Wiltjer’s shooting slump…which led to Kyle Wiltjer simply not shooting. Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: “If Kyle Wiltjer isn’t shooting or hitting shots, he shouldn’t be on the floor…”

7. Nerlens Noel’s injury.

8. The entire Sean Woods fiasco— There was a lot of negativity swirling around that week. First, Sean Woods took a bit of a shot (that may have been more accurate than any of us suspected) at the current Kentucky players. The tension between Kentucky fans and Woods was only intensified when Woods went on a tirade against one of his players near the end of the game. Regardless of where you stood on that entire situation, it was just uncomfortable all the way around.

9. Nerlens Noel’s injury.

10. The last 5 minutes of the Live Blog during almost every loss– There’s nothing like watching a ship crash and burn together. Some of those final few minutes of the Live Blogs were awfully painful as we collectively watched the team look to “give up.”

11. Nerlens Noel’s injury.

12. The Tennessee thumping.

13. Nerlens Noel’s injury.

14. Ryan Harrow’s constant fluctuation-   I really can’t think of a better way to describe Harrow’s season than “constant fluctuation.” One game he was great. The next he disappeared. One time he literally disappeared, leaving the team briefly without a whole lot of clear cut answers. His inconsistency mirrored the team’s inconsistency from day 1 until day Robert Morris. There were moments when we loved him, “Harrow…is it me you’re looking for?” (A Live Blog favorite). There were moments when we could hardly watch (The Vanderbilt game). And then, there was the image of Harrow crying in the locker room as he felt the reality of the broken season on his shoulders.

15. Vanderbilt. Robert Morris. I’m not even entirely sure which one was worse. That inbound play from the corner is going to stick with me for a while though.

16. NERLENS NOEL’S INJURY.

Feel free to add and subtract to the Love/Hate list…

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

43 Comments for The Love/Hate List for the 2012-2013 Season

1. old blue
    5:47 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Please. Move on.

2. Roland
    5:47 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

thought we got over depressing thoughts yesterday, yet you want to bring them up.

You will Fail at being an awarding winning therapist.

3. Billy Ray
    5:48 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Anyone know what time and station my Cayuts play on? Momma threw out the tv guide nd my wood panaled tv does not have a remote.

4. Chicago Chris
    5:49 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

#1 was the first game of the season. Bad sign.

5. UnboltedharpEzwave
    5:54 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

You forgot Goodwin’s 30 plus charges/missed layups/turnovers down the lane. 60 to 100 points that could have won games!

6. RealCatsFan
    5:56 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Not much to add, but looking forward to next season having almost all the entries in the LOVE section and none in the HATE.

7. BGBaller
    5:58 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

I would have to say the rumor with Wiltjer. He might not be the best player on the team next year but we have got to keep vets on our team! That’s what made the difference this year so why wouldn’t we want to get every player back that we can?

8. UK Student
    5:59 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

I made a post on here two months ago saying Wiltjer would likely transfer to Gonzaga. I’m now hearing the only player this is likely to return is Polson. Goodwin may come back if we don’t land Wiggins. The rest, including Hood, are gone. The info come from a current player.

9. UK Student
    6:00 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

that not this.

10. Cats
    6:00 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Did you say nerlen’s Noel’s injury?

11. Korean Tacos
    6:00 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

This Bizarro Wiltjer kid for Gonzaga is pretty good.

12. BigBlueFan
    6:02 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

WAIT HOW COULD U GUYS FORGET HATING NERLENS’ INJURY

13. H.A. Milton
    6:02 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

I can think of a better way to describe Harrow’s season: Constant Bitchassness

14. nkycat
    6:04 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

How can Mark Pope’s video not be on the love list???

15. Melvit
    6:06 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Another one for the hate list would be non-UK fan trolls on this web site.

16. georgetownluke
    6:23 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Yes, the inbound play from the corner will stick with me also! Fundamental play that shouldn’t have to be coached at this level. Sort of the embodiment play for the season.

17. Shamsky
    6:32 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Jeezus. This season was the worst of all time. Just leave it at that. When I think of this season in a nutshell, I get angry. I think of back when I was a kid, shooting in the driveway, UK gear on, imagining I was a wildcat…these kids just pissed all over my dream. How hard would EVERY member of the BBN play if we were blessed with enough talent and luck to play for Kentucky? Blah Blah Blah, they’re just kids…yada yada yada…when I was that age, I had FIGHT. PASSION. LOVE FOR MY TEAM. I understood effort, tenacity, and hard work. These scrubs SUCKED SO HARD. P A T H E T I C L O S E R S… that refers to all of the kids that didn’t hustle on EVERY PLAY (everyone except NERLENS, POLSON, HOOD). That’s my 2 cents. Shove them up ur aish and don’t ever try to sugarcoat this trainwreck of a season EVER again, dumbasses.

18. Shamsky
    6:34 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Oh yeah, and please run Harrow’s bitch ass outta town FOREVER. Move to San Fancisco you queen.

19. Al's IndiCats
    6:38 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

The rumor about Wiltjer? How aout we give it a rest folks. If you remember last year had it not been for Kyle hitting like he did, we would’ve had more than just a few loses thus maybe losing that #1 of all #1s. I want him back, because with these guys coming in he’ll be just as deadly as he was last year. Damn give him break.
    Ally that last throw in against Booby Morris….was just the epitome of the season as a whole. If this didn’t happen or if we had just done that. Hell if the dog didn’t stop to take a sh!t he would’ve caught the rabbit, right? It’s over..let’s not dwell on what could’ve been, but what it’s going to be. When JR grabbed that UK hat…..As God’s my witnessed I yelled so loud my wife ran down stars thinking the house was on fire, and if by some grace of the Basketball God, Wiggins signs with UK….I’d take the “Groundhog Effect” all the way to next October 15th…..GO CATS!

20. Wildcatsteeler
    6:44 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

@4 Yea, and Cal stopped playing him for some unbelievable reason. Only to come back to him at the end of the season and he continued to play very well. After that Maryland game Polson would have been our PG on my team and when Harrow came back he would be the backup. Harrows slightly better athleticism was completely nullified by his mental and physical weakness.

21. Wildcatsteeler
    6:54 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

For reasons I simply cannot explain, KSR spent the entire season praising Mays as if he was the second coming of Christ. Averaged 9 points in 33 minutes a game and shot 37%, from the 3 as well. Nuff said.

22. Wildcatsteeler
    6:54 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Oh I forgot his constant whining and blaming every other player on the court.

23. RealCatsFan
    6:57 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

8, fess up – no way you are a “UK Student”. At best, you are a UL student, but my guess is that you aren’t even in college. Unless that would be “Troll U.”

24. shut up
    7:08 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

18) ohhh you tell em’ You’re a tool. Just another internet tough guy. If any one of those players walked by you right now you would fall to your knees beggng for an autograph. You probably can’t even dribble a basketball. If somebody handed you a ball in front of 24000 people you would shit yourself. I Just read your comment again. WOW! you are a first class P.O.S.

25. Bill Brasky
    7:14 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

The season was awful. It’s over. No more posts about how bad it was, please. We know. We were there. Somebody said something about how good we’re going to be next year? Elaborate on that, if you don’t mind.

26. notplayingthisgame
    7:20 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Mays AGAIN? Seriously, what’s up with that ksr? Mays “led” us right to a first round loss in the nit. I like the kid simply because I like ALL the kids, but come on, enough already.

27. for real
    7:22 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

17)I feel sorry for you.what a sad and pathetic life you must have. Please don’t tell people you are a kentucky fan you are an embarrassment. Now I imagine you are blowing up the players twitter account because you are ” that guy”

28. Sean Woods
    7:34 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

I was right. All of BBN that criticized me can sent apologies to me addressed to Morehead State University.

29. kevin
    7:43 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE STILL DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!THIS KIDS DIDNT BUY IN ……….

30. kevin
    7:44 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

GO BIG BLUE

31. rixter
    7:53 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Well, the Big East looks dominant so far. 1 – 1, with a last second win by Marquette over mighty Davidson.

32. rixter
    7:54 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

BBN ‘can sent’ our apologies? Sean Woods can sent his apologies c/o the English language.

33. mudcreekmark
    8:05 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Hate List:
    The 50 times Goodwin drove to the basket, turned his back to the basket with three men on him and threw a shot up over his head hoping to get a foul call.

34. citycat
    8:50 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

What a great “hate” article on our team?????? Way to call out young guys…I have had about enough of the Wiltjer bashing. If you guys keep this up he will transfer…me for one, i love the kid and hope he stays….obviously there was something wrong in that locker room but to call out these kids on the website is amateur

35. WheelerBear
    9:00 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

please move all the Noel gets hurt… up one place in the rankings and add anotherto the end of the list

36. we have a winner
    9:26 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Folks we have a winner. #17 is the biggest D- Bag to ever post a comment on ksr. Just curious #17, WHEN YOU WRITE IN ALL CAPS DOES THAT MEAN YOU ARE SCREAMING WHILE YOU ARE TYPING?? LMAO!!!! You are a clown. Pathetic.

37. shamsky
    9:36 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

You vaginas are just like the vaginas we had to watch this season. HAVE YOURSELVES A BIG BLUE VAGINA PARTY.

38. this guy
    10:00 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

You gotta problem with vagina SHAMSKY?

39. Uk mom
    11:33 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

Loved it: when the entire team carried Noel to the locker room. Terrible night. One shining moment

40. John Ellis
    11:46 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

I continue to be disgusted that Willie C/S’s great games against Florida and Missouri are forgotten as if they didn’t happen. He’s why we won both. Show some appreciation for godssake.

41. John Ellis
    11:47 pm March 21, 2013 Permalink

If they can’t respond to Cal’s coaching in spite of his record, then Wiltjer, Poythress and Harrow should transfer. I suspect none of them will.

42. BatesUKfanJ
    4:02 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

Yeah the Baylor loss had me pretty angry!!

43. bbr
    9:17 am March 22, 2013 Permalink

““If Kyle Wiltjer isn’t shooting or hitting shots, he shouldn’t be on the floor…””
    Yes, I have heard it before because that has become thenorm for the writing on this site. Get a an idea or theme and repeat it over and over even if the data and facts don’t back it up. Against Vandy in the SEC tourney, Wiltjer was 1 of only 2 Cats in double figures. He was 0 for 1 from behind the arc. So how did he score his 10 points? He was 4 for 4 from in the paint, 4 for 5 overall. I guess if he is not on the floor we score only 38 points.
    As for my dislike of Mays it has nothing to do with his athletic or physical limitations, but rather for what you all refer to as leadership (again, repeat something over and over and maybe it becomes believable). It is not leadership to call out your teammates in interviews. It is not leadership to make a pathetic pass then look at your teammate and throw up your arms and yell at him as if he screwed up.