The List of No-No Words for UK Athletes

ewre

You may have heard about the Courier Journal Story today on the lists of words that athletes say on Twitter, which UK and UL officials flag to monitor their usage. According to the story, anytime an athlete at Kentucky or Louisville says one of these words, the social media monitoring service used by the University reads the tweets to determine its content and if it is offensive.

Now tonight, CBS has published a list of the words flagged by Kentucky. Here they are. Anytime an athlete says one of these words (plus the names of 370 agents), UK officials are tipped off:

Act the fool
Strippers
Suicide
Tin Roof
Threat
Trust
Two K

So the lesson? Well my sentence “I trust that when I do my Yao Ming thing and shoot off the Tin Roof onto my friend Harvey’s platinum basketball rim, Benoit Benjamins advisor will be so crunk that he will act the fool and fight the urge to give me a contract which I could parlay into a buck to buy the latest Spice Girls/Doobie Brothers joint, a Cowboys jersey, a UK TWO K shirt, some roach killer for my attic or an Uncle Buck DVD” simply will not fly.

Anyone have any other banned sentences?

Article written by Matt Jones

34 Comments for The List of No-No Words for UK Athletes

1. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    10:23 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

i’m sure some of these words are acceptable as long as they’re not in a certain context. like “Trust” is obviously referring to the club, not the word itself. same with “blow” and “bet”. our dudes say “bet” all the time. it just means “word” pretty much

2. UK Football > UK Pingpong Team
    10:24 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Why arent all of the Lexington bars listed? Also surprised the word pistol is not listed when glock is.

3. Shawon
    10:26 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Safe to say Bookie’s tweets will never be flagged.

4. Steve Fitts
    10:28 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Um…Isn’t there something about freedom of speech in the U.S. Constitution?

5. tyrus
    10:29 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

This has come a long way from George Carlin’s Seven Dirty Words.

6. Ukbabydoc
    10:29 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Although I applaud the idea. Now the we, and presumably the student-athletes, have the master list. Isn’t it gonna be pretty simple to circumvent said list. Rendering it, and said service to monitor it utterly useless?

Eg: “I’m gonna head down to the Rhino, watch the peelers, and do a crap load of 12oz curls. Then take a couple girls back and go freak”

I dunno if that works within twitter’s allowance of bytes, but ya’ll get the point.

7. cracka
    10:31 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

shawn … yup, hardly anybody’s will … i think twitter rejects a post if 1/3 of the words are even close to being spelled right

8. MJ4UK
    10:34 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

This is not saying that they are not allowed to say these words….it just flags them for the staff

9. UK Snuggie
    10:34 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Theres a problem saying those is lame? That’s lame!

10. Gogh Big Bleu
    10:47 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Spearmint Rhino? Wtf?

11. HillbillyInBC
    10:48 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Went to the Craft Center late last night to shoot. Trying to get up enough shots to make myself a 3-point threat.

12. CoalFreeCats
    10:48 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Oh wow, can’t wait until the athletes start using these on purpose, just to get into the coaches’ inboxes as a joke. Tweet Beat is going to be awesome this week!

Also: why do so many of these words remind me of Victorian era Sherlock Holmes so much? (though I know many are the names of clubs, it’s still a very antiquated list). Act the fool, bamboozle, Camelot, Ming, murder, parlay, robbery, suicide, threat. What century are we in?

13. UK Wildcat
    11:01 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

“Just accepted #extrabenefits at the Spearment Rhino. Now we’re gonna act the fool with some strippers at Deja Vu. #DRUGS #DIMEBAGS #MURDER”

14. Good Effort says
    11:03 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

“I’m gonna go get high”.

15. BennySparting
    11:10 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Welcome to Divas! Your (un)official University of Kentucky Athletics Gentlemans Club.

16. Isaac in Long Beach
    11:11 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

13) I laughed out loud really, really hard.

17. Rick8uk
    11:16 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

You can bet if this was for Louisville student athletes “Kentucky Sports Radio” would be flagged.

18. UKBlue
    11:17 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

How about any word in the urban dictionary

19. Randy Marsh
    11:20 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Having deja vu, I was in a momentary fight with the past when I got strapped in to climb the summit of K2, whereupon I decided I needed the added benefit of altitude sickness drugs because of my chronic joint pain, and my sherpa, known as Spearmint Rhino, who was frequently drunk on alcohol, smoking Hindu Kush marijuana, and getting bamboozled, gave me a shot of a mysterious elixir which he called “Rick’s Platiunum Spice;” however, my pain never subsided, as the medicine only lasted 15 seconds.

20. UKBlue
    11:21 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

The UK player that can break the NSA UK twitter program is Bookie Cobbins; who in the hell knows what he’s saying.

21. travisbickle
    11:29 pm August 20, 2012 Permalink

Feeling a strange sense of deja vu, the cowboys tried to parlay their former lives of murder and robbery fueled by alcohol and guns into a lucrative contract as motivational speakers with a blunt, blow by blow account of their days as bandits on the open range; their hope was their joint message would serve as a precautionary tale for teenagers living with the threat of chronic violence, and the former outlaws were willing to bet that the payoff to their newly earned trust with these wayward teens would include a reduction in youth marijuana usage along with the extra benefit of increased publicity through a promotional photo shoot/grassroots campaign hailing them as agents of change, although their financial advisor Benjamin Ming cautioned the two to fight the urge to squander their newfound monetary gains and to instead invest in hydro electric power utilities, spice imports from India, and the emerging field of harvesting stem cells from miniature pony embryos for Alzheimers research as part of a diversified portfolio highlighting renewable energies and cutting edge scientific research in biotechnology.

22. BPsycho
    12:10 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

“Spearmint Rhino” Oh come on!

#13 Lmao

23. duh
    12:34 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

UofL must have blocked the phrase “National Championship”

24. old man
    1:00 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

According to this list, you can spell alcohol, as long as it’s spelled correctly. And with today’s youth, by the time you think you’ve got them caught and prevent them from doing something, they find other ways to make it happen. Like Napster back in the day, if you want to search Metallica, you put some funky symbol in it to get your results…since Metallica wasn’t supposed to be searched/downloaded.

25. old man
    1:05 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if the person who googled the strip clubs in lexington to put on the list did that on their own time, at work, or if they knew it off hand. And, again, I know I’m old, but is “Act the fool” the same as “Act a fool,” which is how I remember it going down about 10 years ago?

26. BPsycho
    1:18 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

#23 They can block their “National Championship” but they’ll never block, “abortion” !

27. Larry Redmond
    8:47 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

How come my bar wasn’t listed?

28. Jones Returns
    9:26 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

Burr

29. Jones Returns
    9:49 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

“When I get the rock, first I’ll go into triple THREAT position. Then, I’ll BLOW by you! If I don’t pull up and SHOOT, I’ll FIGHT through the traffic, and take it to the TIN ROOF…dunking in your eye. But you know I don’t have to dunk all the time, ’cause when I shoot I be wet like Karen Sypher in Porcinis after some RICKS. My game is so ill DRAKES and Wayne should COMP a beat a make track about it. Maybe as an EXTRA BENEFIT they could bring in Lil Johh to make it CRUNK. I stay posted up in the paint some long defenders gon’ think they need some STRIPPER to remove me. After all that, you can TRUST I be headed to the league to get some long money #YaoMING. So don’t ACT THE FOOL and step to this unless you just want to get BAMBOOZLED, cause I’ll just shoot the 3 while you standin lookin ugly.”

30. Jive Dude from Airplane Movie
    10:00 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

‘S’mofo butter layin’ me to da’ BONE! Jackin’ me up… tight me!

31. mbd
    10:07 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

thank goodness beer and bourbon are still ok words!!!!

32. Larry Redmon
    11:09 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

Who is Larry Redmond?

33. ATLCat
    12:02 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

4.) You obviously don’t know what the 1st Amendment actually does

That sentence is only about 292 characters over the twitter limit

34. hi!,I really like your writing so so much! share we be in contact extra about your article on AOL? I need an expert in this house to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look forward to see you.