The KSR Mailbag, Vol. 1, No. 6

Welcome to the KSR Mailbag! The idea for this feature wasn’t born from the many, many mailbags associated with sports blogs and TV shows…oh, no, that’s way too cliche. The KSR Mailbag was born from the halftime break in KSR’s live blogs, during which I would take over for the guys while they went to use the bathroom or flirt with the lady in charge of the nacho cheese dispenser. During those halftimes, you and I talked about just about anything: life, love, the pursuit of happiness, Triscuits vs. Wheat Thins…you name it, we covered it. Heck, sometimes we even talked about sports.

So think of this as the “halftime” of your week. Starting on Thursday of each week, tweet your questions to me @MrsTylerKSR with the hashtag #ksrmailbag, and if they’re worthy, they’ll make the cut and will be posted on Wednesday’s KSR Mailbag, along with my response. Leggo!

Yes, I know it’s Thursday. SEC Media Days pushed us back a bit, but I couldn’t leave you hanging. Like the postman, I’ll deliver in rain, wind, snow, and busy blog days.

Keep in mind it’s July and we haven’t had many practice reports, but here’s what I’m going with so far:

PG – Ryan Harrow
SG – Archie Goodwin
SF – Alex Poythress
PF/C – Nerlens Noel
PF – Kyle Wiltjer

We’ve heard a lot about Willie Cauley-Stein as well, with Cal hinting at playing both him and Nerlens at the same time, in which case I could see Kyle Wiltjer maybe even rotating over to shooting guard? Let me know your thoughts in the comments section.

You know, that makes a lot of sense, especially considering Billy G’s penchant for karaoke. It’s been a while since we’ve heard from our old outlaw friend. The last Oh Napier sighting was a shaky YouTube video of him playing at something called the “Honey Fest” in September 2011. It got a little too “Blair Witch” for me, so I had to turn it off, but I hear he played “Amanda.” Coincidence? I think not.

I don’t think it completely ends it, but it certainly focuses the conversation on a renovated Rupp. While plans for a renovated Rupp seem to be stalled due to funding issues, Cal is making sure the most important parts of the plan remain on track. One of Cal’s main priorities as coach is getting the best players. What better way to do that than with a flashy new locker room, which he called “the gold standard” in college basketball? Think of the main places recruits go when they visit: the Craft Center, the Lodge, and Rupp. While at Rupp, they’ll spend any time they’re not in their seats in the locker room. More evidence of Cal’s genius? The new “players’ lounge,” which other sports teams can use as a staging area for recruits. From CoachCal.com’s description of the lounge: “When our football team brings in 15 recruits, they can use the players’ lounge to hang out and watch TV.” Hey, I’ll take it.

I’d say Florence, but given their geographical ineptitude, they’d probably choose Dayton. Hey, maybe they can raise enough money to repaint the “Florence Y’all” water tower? It’s already red and white.

Nope. Pretty sure everyone calls them that.

First of all, how do you become a grown woman without tasting a hot dog once in your life? (I realize now how pervy that sounded.) Hot dogs are as American as cutoff jorts and beer koozies. More bewildering is trying to describe what a hot dog tastes like…it’s probably one of the most distinctive tastes in the world, along with bologna and curry. I never heard the end of Matt’s story, but I really really hope she ended up getting that hot dog. If not, get thee to a Speedway.

That video of Anderson alone has them quivering. If we get him, I expect Cal to install some titanium-grade backboards…something not even the Rupp Arena cloggers could break. Something a little like this.

I’m still waiting for the “Call Me Maybe” cover, but maybe that’s too “been there, done that.” Willie Cauley-Stein has already starred in a Kyle Wiltjer video, but I could also see Archie Goodwin taking part, since he seems like a total goofball. Maybe they could do an expose on Ryan Harrow’s shoe collection? Or, dare I say it, a fashion show?! Okay, too much, too much…a girl can dream.

That’s it for this week. Keep the questions coming…@MrsTylerKSR.

27 Comments for The KSR Mailbag, Vol. 1, No. 6

1. wiltjerspeed
    1:04 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

Kyle W to shooting gaurd?!?
    haha i just can’t stop laughing… haha

2. Jatt Mones
    1:06 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

KW to shooting guard is worsteth prediction I hath ever readeth.
    WOW

3. UK
    1:10 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

LMAO @ Wiltjer at shooting guard. Obviously a post from a woman

4. Freddy
    1:12 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

I like the idea of Wiltjer to SG. He is UK’s best shooter and it would really spread the floor. #1 and 2 obviously don’t watch UK basketball.

5. Freddy
    1:13 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

And # 3

6. Plausible
    1:14 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

It’s plausible if the opposing team has more of a SG that is primarily a spot-up shooter. The ONLY problem with Wiltjer at SG is his speed on defense. The up side is on offense. What team are we going to play that will have a SG big enough to contest a Wiltjer shot or stand a chance if Wiltjer took him to the post…UNSTOPPABLE

7. Rockfield, KY
    1:17 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

Calm down everyone. I don’t see it really ever happening, but just because he plays the 2 doesn’t mean he’d have to guard the 2. He would be allowed to play D in the post and O on the perimeter. We don’t really have positions at UK anymore.

8. Sally O
    1:19 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

What 7 said

9. Fred
    1:24 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

Freddy is an IDIOT. Who would even consider putting Wiltjer at SG. What a MORON.

10. Joe
    1:25 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

I’m with 7 and 8. I’m tired of UK fans always bickering. Can’t we all just get along.

11. Bob
    1:27 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

OMG! Who cares! Let’s just Win!

12. Plausible
    1:29 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

The only reason he’d have to guard a SG is because it would either be him, Cauley-Stein, or Noel and the reason you would have WCS and Noel in at the same time was so they could both tear up the inside defensively. Wiltjer would have a better chance guarding the SG than the SF because 3s are usually stronger and more of a slashing style which would really hurt Wiltjer’s speed.

13. Ummm...
    1:43 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

…I think TT was making something called a joke maybe?

14. wow
    1:44 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

There is no reason to start a big argument.

Anyone who has played the game knows it would be hilarious to have Wiltjer at shooting guard. If you haven’t, that’s fine you can give your opinion too.

But really… Wiltjer guarding Doron Lamb? hahah
    Wiltjer on John Jenkins?
    Wiltjer on Bradley Beal?

Just trying to give a few examples of how astounding terribly it would go.

15. d in the post?
    1:46 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

The only D in the post will be Noel…

M2M is what they play 90% of the time. Why would they make all these changes just to call Wiltjer a 2 when he’s not? Answer – They wouldn’t.

16. Jason
    1:53 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

You really shouldn’t put that Ginnie girl on here anymore. She tweets nasty tweets and sounds like she is crazy!! Keep her questions off here. We don’t need that representing BBN

17. CATS
    1:58 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

Has it occurred to any of you guys that Cal can do whatever he wants? We have no posiitons.

This isnt like rec. league bball where you once got a three point play off of a layup over a 5’7″ guy with a headband while falling down, which now makes all you guys specialists when it comes to bball strategies.

Coach Cal and Billy Donovan are not going to line their guys up in the middle of the floor form tallest to shortest, and tell each guy who they are suppose to guard all game.

Offense and defense are played at separate ends. Wiltjer could sit on the wing, while Alex slashes and WCS and Noel oop all night. The D would have to sag back on the twin towers leaving Wiltjer open to drain threes.

3.) Your an idiot, I bet you keep your wife in the kitchen and pregnant. However, she is sleeping with the mailman because she is tired of staring at your sweaty lazy body on the couch surrounded by bud ice cans.

18. sounds good
    2:06 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

mmmmmmmmm…bud ice

19. somad
    2:09 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

17. Great point CATS

Cal could also add a zebra to next years lineup and have it play point guard.
    The question isn’t “Could CAL do it”… it is “Will he do it”… which anyone with a clue knows he won’t ….

This thread is pure comedy.

20. NorthWind
    2:30 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

TT, you’re a breathe of fresh air . . . and apparently make some of these guys feel . . . inadequate.

21. TimeFor9
    2:32 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

oh yeah 19…well if we recruited a dog then why wouldn’t we recruit a zebra? you racist? http://www.theonion.com/video/kentucky-violated-ncaa-rules-while-recruiting-bask,17041/

22. Kyle
    2:46 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

@19 If we had a line up of: PG Ryan Harrow
    SG Kyle Wiljter
    SF Alex Poythress
    C Nerlens Noel
    PF Willie Cauley
    To me this would be sick u got a good driving point guard, a damn good spot of shooter with Wiltjer, Alex who can almost score at will, and the oops to Noel and WCS. Then on defense you could have Poythress on the SG and Wiljter on the SF which thats what he is. Or you could leave him on the SG but only if the team isnt that good from beyond the arc. It isnt that far out of the realm of possibilities to happen. Hell Calipari talked about doing the same thing last year with creating that big of a line up and he did a few times. Oh and who is to say Wiljter hasn’t gotten faster or better cause those are definitely things he could be working on right now.

23. Ginnie
    2:55 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

Thanks “Jason”. I’m pretty sure I know who you really are. My tweets aren’t nasty. I don’t use any language that other people don’t already use. I am NOT crazy. I’m sorry you think that. I am a BBN and KSR faithful. I only represent UK to the best of my ability. Mrs. Tyler has been nothing but nice to me. You guys aren’t going to stop me from tweeting, sending in ksrmailbag questions or being the biggest UK fan ever.

24. Ginnie
    3:56 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

Thank you. You’ve succeeded in making me cry. I hope you’re happy, whoever you are.

25. Last Try
    4:00 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

22. The problem again is defense.

Just too slow. There are ways to get around this like Cal experimented with last year. Slapping him @ the 2 is simply not it.

26. lambinated
    5:39 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

I think we should really take the leash off of big Wiltj and let him run the point. In the half court offense he’s only 2-3 old man YMCA moves away from the bucket at any given point on the court, and he should be able to hone the jump hook to set people up at the rim. It’s a deadly combination.

27. Tyler...we love ya
    11:52 pm July 19, 2012 Permalink

We love ya, but there is NO WAY IN H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS that Wiltjer could guard ANY SG or even SF in the SEC…NOT GONNA HAPPEN…EVER. You do a great job and I understand that sometimes you guys have to stretch for things to post, but that was the worst opinion I have ever heard…ever…in my life…of all time…epic fail…bad…terrible…but keep up the good work!!!