The Kentucky Effect’s Friday News And Views

josh-harrellson-sullinger

Well that about seals it.  In what was officially the second greatest night in Kentucky basketball history, all four Kentucky players heard their names called and now have a chance to make their dreams a reality.  Since sometime last week, the term ‘The Kentucky Effect’ began to take root – and it was solidified with the second round picks of Josh Harrellson and Deandre Liggins.  Back in the pre-Calipari days, some of Kentucky’s best talent would slip far more than they should – sometimes to the second round, sometimes completely out of the draft.  Then it would be up to those deserving players to fight their way into the NBA (look at Chuck Hayes, Kelenna Azubuike, Keith Bogans – even Rajon Rondo went later than he ultimately should have.)  Since Calipari and Kentucky began their glorious embrace, however, there isn’t a Kentucky player that NBA scouts won’t take a good hard look at.  Polson is already rumored to be the top pick to the Timberwolves in two years.  Coming in to last season the odds you would have gotten that Josh Harrellson would be drafted at all, let alone before Josh Selby, would have been large enough to earn you the money it would take to rename the KFC Yum! Center the Jorts Dome.

A hearty congratulations to all the Kentucky players that were drafted last night, and I’ll give you a quick run down of that and the other days notes:

— If there was one person I would have liked to see a camera crew follow around this past year, it would have been Enes Kanter.  Mainly because he’s just so dang mysterious.  Even headed in to Draft Day, no one knew if he would be taken with the Cavaliers top pick or end up sliding all the way to the 7-10 range.  Then word broke that he was being considered by the Jazz – the team that had most kept their cards close to their chest – and all bets were off.  Kanter ended up being selected to play in Utah, and will undoubtedly become the best thing to happen to that state since Joseph Smith.  Not only did Enes promise to bring the Undertaker to Utah (in the form of himself,) he dedicated his rookie season to UK fans.  As if we could have loved the big Turk any more.

—  Brandon Knight found himself slipping a little as the night wore on, from projected top five all the way to number eight.  He slipped into a good situation though, as Knight landed with the Detroit Pistons.  The Pistons have been kind of awful lately, as they exploded the core that won the title in 2004 slowly year by year.  However most people agree that the Pistons are now looking to build themselves back up rather than bring in a slew of hired guns, and Brandon Knight is a good piece to build around.  With Tayshaun Prince there to help introduce him to the league, there’s a good chance for a KSR road trip to Detroit sometime in the near future.

—  I have already mentioned how amazing it is to see Josh Harrellson get drafted, but I’ll do it again.  It’s amazing.  Jorts came in to the year as an Enes-less Kentucky’s biggest weakness, but ended up being one of their biggest strengths.  He found a tough work ethic, and by committing to getting better and doing the things that Calipari asked of him Josh played his way to the final four and a chance to make the New York Knicks.  I couldn’t be happier for the guy, but now the real work begins.  It’s tough to make it to the NBA from the second round, but Josh has always been an ‘if they give me a chance, I’ll show them I can do it’ type of guy, from his first foray with Kentucky to proving to Calipari he should get a shot to stay with the team.  Plus the thought of Josh bringing Jorts to New York is reason enough to celebrate.

—  In a similar note, John Calipari now has the attention of every big, free throw shooting, white, junior college center he could ever want.

—  For the second time in as many years, the Orlando Magic are to thank for rounding out the Kentucky draft night.  Liggins was picked late in the second round by the Magic, and like Josh, will have to work his way onto the team this summer – but I think it will likely be an easier task for Liggins.  Deandre has a calling card, fortunately that calling card is something that a lot of players don’t have, and it’s one that a fringe title contender needs – he’s a lock down defender.  Every championship caliber team has one guy that they know they can assign to the other teams best player, and just like Liggins did at Kentucky, he can be that guy in the NBA.  Coincidentally, the Magic need that guy since they got rid of Keith Bogans, who filled a similar role.  On top of that, the Magic love to drive and dish to open threes which is another solid aspect of Deandre’s game.  Earning your first contract in the summer is never an easy task, especially if a lock out does come to fruition, but Liggins is in a good situation for him and that’s all we can ask.

—  Meanwhile, a few fun notes from the draft.  As I previously mentioned, Jorts was drafted ahead of Josh Selby.  I’m not saying he would’ve been a lottery pick at Kentucky, but he would’ve.  Scotty Hopson?  Not drafted.  David Lighty (that guy from Ohio State)?  Not drafted.  Kenneth Faried and his Card Killing ways was drafted, as well as Lexingtonian Shelvin Mack.  With Kentucky’s four that were drafted last night, that’s 9 of 12 players that have left the program to the NBA in two years – though Mark Krebs is now a regular feature on KSR so it’s basically the same thing.  In two years, 9 players.  As UKAndrew pointed out earlier – in 9 years at Louisville, Ricky P has had 4 players drafted.  This is what being a players first program is all about.

—  Jimmer Fredette will be suiting up with Tyreke Evans and Demarcus Cousins.  I don’t know what I did to deserve that, but I promise I will keep doing it.

—  On a sad note, this pretty much officially ends basketball season for Kentucky fans.  On a positive note, the season never ends.  On to 2010-11!

—  Finally, here’s an assignment for you.  Rank your favorite NBA teams with Kentucky players in the comment section, curious minds want to know.

That’s about it for draft night, stick around all day as we share our favorite memories from the mock draft season and try to come up with what, if anything, is The KSR Effect.

Article written by Will Lentz

43 Comments for The Kentucky Effect’s Friday News And Views

1. thebigjra
    1:50 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

On to 2010-2011! Quick! Warm up the flux capacitor!

2. Gogh Big Bleu
    2:02 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

2010-2011?? What year u livin’ in??

3. PillowTalk
    2:04 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

1. Celtics (no question, best NBA franchise goes well with the best NCAA program)
    2. Rockets
    11. Knicks
    12. 76ers
    13. Clippers

4. vanhoomi
    2:06 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

My top 5 teams with UK players

1. Detroit (Tayshaun and Knight)
    2. Boston (Rondo)
    3. Washington (Wall)
    4 Houston (Pat and Hayes)
    5. Sacremento (Boogie)

5. Ptrain
    2:09 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

1. Wizards
    2. Pistons
    3. Kings

-Ptrain

6. Rigby
    2:34 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Thanks to JackB for his medical advice from earlier. I thought something was wrong if your stools are black when you poop. Man, bleeding internally…now I know how Cal feels after the NCAA keeps shoving their huge rod up his butt.

7. Doc Brown
    2:35 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Will, you’ve got to come back with me! It’s your posts Will..it’s your posts!

8. TheVig
    2:49 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

The hats they were giving those players must have been designed by David Stern

The only people I could ever picture wearing them are illegal mexicans walking down the street and Louisville fans.

9. JB is my Holmesboy
    3:01 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

The first team with two Cats contributing for the long haul get my fandom. Maybe next year. I would go with the Pistons but they tried to trade Tay at the deadline to the Mavericks. So I really do not see him and Brandon past next years deadline. What a time not to have a PS3 or XBox, the Cats could make for a sweet team on NBA 2K12! Until then:
    1. Rockets
    2. Wizards
    3. Pistons

10. The W
    3:06 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

First: C’s
    Knicks (Amare and Jorts sounds like a Charlie Sheen recipe for winning)
    Pistons
    dont care
    Kings
    Wiz
    76er
    dont care
    Pat Reilly
    Magic
    Last: Bulls
    I hate the Lakers but i wish theyd draft a wildcat so i could have a rooting interest

11. Well...
    4:00 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Gotta go with the Jazz. Enes is freed. Plus I just moved to Salt Lake.

12. hooters
    7:01 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

13. TheVig
    7:07 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

The Houston Rockets should change their name to the Houston Forwards.

The draft Marcus Morris (SF) with the 14th pick, Nicola Miritik (SF) with the 23rd pick, Chandler Parsons (SF) with the 38th pick.

Morris when interviewed said, “they don’t have any forwards who can shoot” – I have a feeling Patrick Patterson would disagree with that statement. I also doubt he’s going to be a popular guy in the locker room being that their entire friggin team is forwards… lol

15 Marqus Blakely F 22 6-5 225 Vermont $15,000
    10 Chase Budinger SF 23 6-7 218 Arizona $780,871
    50 Marcus Cousin F 24 6-11 255 Houston $25,000
    44 Chuck Hayes C 28 6-6 238 Kentucky $1,972,500
    27 Jordan Hill F 23 6-10 235 Arizona $2,669,520
    0 Nikola Mirotic F 20 6-10 220
    0 Marcus Morris F 21 6-9 235 Kansas
    0 Chandler Parsons F 22 6-9 200 Florida
    54 Patrick Patterson PF 22 6-9 235 Kentucky $1,823,280
    4 Luis Scola PF 31 6-9 245 $7,775,378
    1 Terrence Williams SF 23 6-6 220 Louisville $2,214,480

Thanks god I don’t live in Houston. That franchise must really frustrate their fanbase with ignorant position stacking like this.

14. Joseph Smith
    7:11 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

I never made it to Utah. I was killed in Missouri. I was looking up and smiling when Jimmer got drafted.

15. Lex07
    7:15 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

No, Detroit is not a good fit for Brandon. No, they are not planning on “building around” him. Do you follow the NBA?

16. hahahahahahaha!

#12 – hooters – As we (UK fans) were first introduced to Josh Harrellson by a picture of him taking a free throw, so 2 are the NY Knicks fans (Check first pic that appears from your link)

Too funny. Jorts invades Manhattan!

17. Tom Handy
    7:37 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

I noticed ESPN did their best to limit “UK exposure”. Every coach there had their name subtitled at some point when shown except Cal’s. They barely showed BK and Enes in the “song lead in”, no Enes replay etc. I suspect they made a point to not allow ESPN be made into a Coach Cal recruiting tool. We are the new Duke, prosperity breeds contempt.

18. BoomKentucky
    7:52 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Jorts needs to start rockin the timberlands with his Jorts in NYC.

19. Buckets
    7:56 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

1. Celtics. Been a big Boston fan for years.
    2. Detroit. Been a big Pistons fan since Tay got there.
    3. Rockets. Pat Patt AND Chuck Wagon.
    4. Kings. Just Cuz.
    5. Wizards. Jimmy Wall. Would have jumped to No. 3 if they had gotten Big Enes.

20. .
    7:58 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Hard not to love the Kings.

Boogie and the Jimmer on the same team, so much fun.

21. Buckets
    8:03 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

20 – Jimmer and Cuz. Wow. Those convos will be great. “I’m Jimmer.” “Dis DeMaaarcus Couuuusins.”

22. Brew Crew
    8:04 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

If I was a KSR writer, I’d throw in little mistakes like that “2010-2011” thing on purpose. Just to make sure the posts were being read all the way through.

I’ll root for any UK player in the pro’s… but who cares about the teams. I’ll be watching the Wizards, Jazz, Kings for UK player sightings. And the Rockets. Gotta love Chuckers and Patrick

23. BoomKentucky
    8:08 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Jorts needs to start wearing timberlands with the shorts in NYC.
    Why r my post being deleted?

24. jaxcats8503
    8:13 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

1. Celtics (Rondo & long-time fave player Garnett)
    2. Pistons (Prince [if they keep him] & Knight)
    3. Rockets (Hayes & Patterson)
    4. Wizards (Wall)

10. Thunder
    11. 76ers
    12. Bulls
    13. Celtics

26. Al's IndiCats
    8:25 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

At this rate it’ll take 6 or 7 years until they’ll be a UK alum on every pro team, some with two on the roster. That’s when I’ll buy the NBA deal off of Direct Dish. Like everyone else who is a UK fan, you had to smile when Enes dedicated his Rookie year to all Kentucky fans…..For they are the BEST!!!!!!!!

27. ukchampion
    8:28 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

23 because you’re a turd burglar.

Lentz WHAT PICK WAS JORTS??? i didn’t get to watch the whole thing – NEWS and views may want to include that info come on now..

28. TonyDelk00

7. Knicks
    8. Thunder
    9. Magic
    10. Can’t root for the Bulls (Noah), sorry Bogans

29. Milk my Mouse
    8:43 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Jonathan Harrellson? On the New Orleans Hornets website they say they traded 45th pick Jonathan Harrellson.

What a bunch of puds.

30. Wes
    8:46 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know why people keep saying Tayshaun and Brandon will play together. Tayshaun is an unrestricted free agent that won’t be back in Detroit next year.

31. .
    8:53 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

32. cmdcpa2
    8:55 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Rockets have to be #1. Chuck Hayes and Patterson!!!

33. Toothless Temp
    9:11 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

I can’t wait until Cousins signs with the Wizards after his rookie contract is up and Wall and Cousins begin their reign of terror on the NBA.

Done.

34. Yesterdays
    9:12 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

I wonder why Ramon never got drafted. This site labeled him a “lockdown defender.”

35. MrTumnus
    9:22 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Why is Kenneth Fareed not mentioned? He warmed our hearts when he destroyed UofL.

36. Rose Thorns and All
    9:31 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

I can’t believe that someone is whining more than Mark Berger on Sunday morning, the “Wazoo Sports Buzz” is officially the whinest program I’ve ever heard. The milk is spilled so shut up and clean it up! GET OVER IT!

37. RYNO
    9:34 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Why is everybody putting the Knicks in their “UK” teams list? I know just like me, everybody’s all warm and fuzzy cause Jorts got drafted. That’s awesome no doubt, but I was very sad to see NO trade him for CASH!! He has yet to make the Knicks roster, and they have a history of killing off the NBA hopes of serveral former UK players. You know like, Randolph Morris, Joe Crawford, and Walter McCarty in recent memory. I say screw the Knicks until they put Josh on their NBA roster.

38. CuriousGeorge
    9:42 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

B. Knight did not look happy at all. Any comments on if he knew he would fall to 8th and end up in Detroit (which obviously could never happen because the unpredictability of the Draft).. that he would have stayed in hopes of going higher next year. It being a “weak draft”, and still falling to 8 must really made him think.

39. RYNO
    9:44 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

13) You’re right on the money there. It appears that either Patterson or Hayes will almost certainly be dealt after last night. I mean they must really be in love with their backcourt because they really tripled down on 6-9, 250 lb PF’s last night.

40. RYNO
    10:08 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Why in the world do the T-Wolves seem to want to draft all players that can’t communicate with each other?

41. CAUKFAN
    11:03 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

Kings as long as Cuz is there.

42. dustin
    11:47 am June 24, 2011 Permalink

1-Celtics
    2-Wizards
    3-Rockets
    4-Kings
    5-Pistons

43. Bruce Pearl says
    10:22 pm June 24, 2011 Permalink

What is wrong with being #8 in the draft. Geez, it’s 3 effin’ spots from where he was projected by the generally clueless media. Big congrats to Enes; Brandon; Deandre and Josh. Now show everyone that the “Kentucky Effect” is not imagined but the real deal.
    GO CATS !