(10) The Free Throw Photo – The first known picture of Josh Harrellson. It was used for every post about Harrellson throughout his recruitment and into his first season at Kentucky. Only the photo of that kitten being held at gunpoint and stills from the Paris Hilton sex tape have been viewed more times on the internet. Some call it the Mona Lisa of Kentucky basketball.
(9) Josh Harrellson Busts A Move – I don’t know who uploaded it, or where it is from, but it’s Jorts dancing. And we love it when Jorts dances…
(8) Twitter Account Not Found – Jorts’ Twitter account was deactivated in October of last year after these tweets: “Either we are the worst offensive rebounding team or he had gotten better!!! Just amazing to me I can’t get a good job or way to go.” / “yes he has been working hard this off season… It is just amazing to me but I look past it and keep trucking! You can’t stop this train!!!” It turns out Jorts was right and that train can’t be stopped. With two games left in the season, Jorts is first in the SEC and fifth in the country in offensive rebounds per game.
(7) “The Mother Hen” – It’s not very often we let others interfere with our nicknames. But when Boston University coach Patrick Chambers called Harrellson the “Mother Hen” for his leadership on a young team, we jumped on board. “Garbage Man” would later be added to the nickname rotation, although he’ll always be “Jorts”.
(6) KSR Man of the Year – Jorts was named KSR’s Man of the Year in 2008. I don’t really know what that means, or what he got out of it, but it sounds important.
(5) Jorts commits to Kentucky, April 29, 2008 – When Josh Harrellson signed with Kentucky, UK fans only knew him as the big white guy with the free throw picture who chose Kentucky over Saint Louis University. Three years later, he’s a fan favorite and UK’s all-time leading denim shorts wearer. No one saw it coming.
(4) It’s So Lonely In This Bathroom Stall – Billy Gillispie made Jorts sit in a bathroom stall during halftime at Vanderbilt in 2009. After the game, Gillispie made Jorts ride back to Lexington in an equipment truck. It’s a Billy G story Kentucky fans will never forget. What a lunatic.
(3) Louisville Game and SEC Player of the Week – A career-high 23 points and 14 rebounds – Jorts absolutely dominated both ends of the brand new Denny Crum Court in the KFC Yum! Center. Regardless of what happens over the next month, Jorts’ performance against Louisville will be the highlight of the season. Well, unless he scores 40 to win the NCAA Championship against Duke. How awesome would that be?
(2) The Carlton – When it was time for someone to step up and replace John Wall and his ‘John Wall Dance’ at Big Blue Madness, Beisner issued a challenge to Jorts over Twitter. Beisner said he wanted to see ‘The Carlton’ when Josh was introduced to the crowd at Madness. Of course, Jorts did not let KSR Nation down…
(1) Senior Night, March 1, 2011 – Rupp Arena will be full of pasty white legs hanging out the bottom of a pair of rugged cotton twill textile shorts when Josh Harrellson is introduced to Big Blue Nation one last time. As the lone senior on the team, Jorts will have the spotlight tonight before Kentucky tips off against Vanderbilt in a must-win game. He’ll walk through that giant hoop with his photo on it. He’ll stand with his family at half court. He’ll accept his framed jersey. He’ll wave to the fans. He’ll shed a tear. And then he’ll rip off his tear-away Kentucky warmup pants to reveal the phenomenon that started it all… the jorts.
Thanks for the memories, Josh. Although, I still wish you had grown a Jortstache for one game. Maybe in the tournament?