The Infamous Self Sack

It was December 27th, 2009.  Kentucky had just lost to Clemson 21-13 in the Music City Bowl. It was cold. Very cold. All my friend Evan and I wanted to do was get out of that stadium and into a downtown watering hole as quickly as possible. We began to hustle through the concourse to beat the crowd to the cabs (you didn’t think we were going to walk to downtown, did you?).  As we busted out of the stadium we saw a few cabs lined up outside. The full sprint was on.

All that separated us from the warmth of the cab and a night of refreshing colas with the beautiful coeds of Big Blue Nation were a couple short concrete pillars with a chain running between them.  We can jump that chain on the run easily, right?

Well, Evan could. “WE” couldn’t. As I went to jump the chain, my front foot cleared beautifully. I was gliding through the air like a world class hurdler. However, as a man burdened with having two legs, I still had to get the back foot over. This is where failure occurred.

In 2009, my feet had yet to start cutting through steel chains. I’m still waiting on that, actually.  My back foot caught in the chain, which set off a chain reaction (no pun intended) that resulted in me breaking my fall with my chin, the side of my face, and my wrist. There was no concern from Evan. Just a “get up and get in this cab I just got us.” And I did just that. We traveled downtown and I was told “You’re face is bleeding” by nearly every person I encountered.  But I shook off the injury and enjoyed myself.

I tell this story to say this. No one is perfect. We’ve all fallen down before.  You just have to laugh it off, get back up, and play the next play.

That’s exactly what Morgan Newton did after this play, and exactly what he has done this season after falling into the backup QB spot. He has made it clear he will do anything he needs to do to help this team win. This week, he even joked about his self sack against WKU last year. Here’s to hoping Morgan finds a way to get his redemption tomorrow. And here is the hilarious video of his “self sack” from last year’s game against the Hilltoppers.

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

7 Comments for The Infamous Self Sack

1. Grandpa Brooks
    6:19 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Ahhhh…. the good old days… NOT!

2. Your not You're
    7:19 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Please please if you are going to write on a blog learn the difference between “You’re face is bleeding” and “Your face is bleeding”

3. KevinJ
    7:34 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Well done, Aaron. Funny and enjoyable article as usual. Keep em’ coming!

4. only joker knows
    7:44 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

How can a school (who isn’t use to) get two highly rated QBs to sign in the same class – and have neither one of them start at QB in their senior season(s)?

UK fan, but, Western by 2.

5. Goobz
    9:02 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

They weren’t that highly touted really, it’s just that UK football fans are dumb. Mossakowski had like a dozen pro style qb’s ranked ahead of him, half of them were busts. Newton had a dozen or so running qb’s ranked ahead of him and most of them were busts too. Learn how this stuff works before spouting ignorance.

6. Evan
    10:53 pm September 14, 2012 Permalink

Flener is quoting me directly from that evening, I told him ‘you are face is bleeding’. Which it was. My grammar wasn’t so well. MY BAD. WE WERE HAVING FUN. My favorite part was doing the oh oh oh oh chant incessantly and gillenwater’s deep sadness, both put a huge smile on my face along with chambo’s aggravation, that’s always gone a long way for me.

7. Your not You're
    1:19 am September 15, 2012 Permalink

@6 Nice try but he wrote that nearly every person he encountered said “You’re face is bleeding”…which we all know really means “You are face is bleeding”. Aaron should go read Drew Franklin’s post from Louisville Hate Day where he did a great job of explaining the difference between words like “their” “there” “they’re” etc.